Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,188 members, 7,829,252 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Node.js Or PHP ? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Node.js Or PHP ? (1499 Views)

Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First / Jave Script Or PHP / JS Or PHP Frameworks? Which One Is Better For A Newbie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 21, 2019
Hello programmers in the house..
I want to ask for your thoughts on which technology I should adopt for backend web development here in Nigeria.
Should i go with node.js or php?
Which would be better? And why do you think it is better?
Which of them is in higher demand here in Nigeria?

I am anticipating your feedbacks. Thanks.
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by paranorman(m): 8:52am On Mar 21, 2019
Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Some call node.js a Javascript hack.. grin
Good ol' php.. My advice? Learn both.. Languages are like tool stacks: some have it almost all, some are strong in certain aspects, some weak. For example, spread is one of such factor. Relax and have fun learning.

1 Like

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by stanliwise(m): 10:06am On Mar 21, 2019
ivumar:
Hello programmers in the house..
I want to ask for your thoughts on which technology I should adopt for backend web development here in Nigeria.
Should i go with node.js or php?
Which would be better? And why do you think it is better?
Which of them is in higher demand here in Nigeria?

I am anticipating your feedbacks. Thanks.
Are asking which language to migrate to or which server engine is better?
Node.js is a server engine for processing JavaScript , also PHP 7.0 is the latest engine for PHP language.

So please clarify the question.

1 Like

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Bolaji21(m): 10:18am On Mar 21, 2019
If you're asking which to learn, learn both: nodeJS first (cos the demand is rising) and PHP (it's always in demand). But if you're asking which to use, it depends on your need.

3 Likes

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Capnd143(m): 5:25pm On Mar 21, 2019
Learn both, use PHP

With PHP you'll almost never walk alone. There's always a solution to your problem on the internet. JavaScript is popular, but server side implementations like node.js isn't really my thing. I learnt node, then kindly folded it and packaged it jejely somewhere - only called when a client needs. I use PHP, billions of webpages run it, it's super flexible, it's fast (have you met PHP 7?) and it's super useful

2 Likes

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by ToyinDipo(m): 6:24pm On Mar 21, 2019
Both are shithole language/platform
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2019
stanliwise:
Are asking which language to migrate to or which server engine is better?
Node.js is a server engine for processing JavaScript , also PHP 7.0 is the latest engine for PHP language.

So please clarify the question.
Thanks for taking your time to reply.
I already know some JavaScript.
I was told I could still use it on the back-end through node.js.
So my question is - should I still use JavaScript for my back-end through node.js or should I learn a new language(PHP) entirely to use for my back-end.
Like, what advantage those PHP 7 have over node.js (or vice versa).
And which is in more demand here in Nigeria..
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 21, 2019
paranorman:
Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Some call node.js a Javascript hack.. grin
Good ol' php.. My advice? Learn both.. Languages are like tool stacks: some have it almost all, some are strong in certain aspects, some weak. For example, spread is one of such factor. Relax and have fun learning.
Thanks for your response
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 21, 2019
Bolaji21:
If you're asking which to learn, learn both: nodeJS first (cos the demand is rising) and PHP (it's always in demand). But if you're asking which to use, it depends on your need.
Thanks bro.
You said it depends on my needs.
If I may ask, is there anything I can use node.js to do that I can't use PHP to do??

1 Like

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 21, 2019
Capnd143:
Learn both, use PHP

With PHP you'll almost never walk alone. There's always a solution to your problem on the internet. JavaScript is popular, but server side implementations like node.js isn't really my thing. I learnt node, then kindly folded it and packaged it jejely somewhere - only called when a client needs. I use PHP, billions of webpages run it, it's super flexible, it's fast (have you met PHP 7?) and it's super useful
#smiles.
Thanks for the feedback
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 21, 2019
ToyinDipo:
Both are shithole language/platform
I believe you must have reasons for saying this.
So can you please, walk me through those reasons??
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:52pm On Mar 21, 2019
ivumar:

They don't scale well for heavy enterprise applications
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by stanliwise(m): 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2019
ivumar:

Thanks for taking your time to reply.
I already know some JavaScript.
I was told I could still use it on the back-end through node.js.
So my question is - should I still use JavaScript for my back-end through node.js or should I learn a new language(PHP) entirely to use for my back-end.
Like, what advantage those PHP 7 have over node.js (or vice versa).
And which is in more demand here in Nigeria..
No advantage but in a technical sense nodeJs is faster than PHP 7.0 zend engine.

PHP has the largest documentation when it comes to back end programming and it is used by many known software like Joomla and WordPress, intact about 70‰ of the web uses PHP. And many server readily provide support for your PHP code.

NodeJs on the other hand is not too long in the game but it's documentations are improving rapidly.

Since you know JavaScript already why not go ahead with nodeJs and some how learn PHP along the line.You need both as a true web programmer.

1 Like

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by TheManOfTheYear: 10:18pm On Mar 21, 2019
paranorman:
Bro which do you think is more versatile?
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by philo4realz: 12:48am On Mar 22, 2019
ivumar:

Seriously, out of all the advices here, you want to take d one of a madman that called php and nodejs sh*t hole languages
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 22, 2019
philo4realz:

Seriously, out of all the advices here, you want to take d one of a madman that called php and nodejs sh*t hole languages
#smiles.
You don't get bro.
I just wanted to know why he said that.
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 3:29am On Mar 22, 2019
stanliwise:
No advantage but in a technical sense nodeJs is faster than PHP 7.0 zend engine.

PHP has the largest documentation when it comes to back end programming and it is used by many known software like Joomla and WordPress, intact about 70‰ of the web uses PHP. And many server readily provide support for your PHP code.

NodeJs on the other hand is not too long in the game but it's documentations are improving rapidly.

Since you know JavaScript already why not go ahead with nodeJs and some how learn PHP along the line.You need both as a true web programmer.
Alright... Thanks
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 3:29am On Mar 22, 2019
Thanks everyone.
I think I should go as you guys suggested.
Learn node.js first and be comfortable with it, and then switch over to PHP at the appropriate time.
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Bolaji21(m): 9:24am On Mar 22, 2019
ivumar:

Thanks bro.
You said it depends on my needs.
If I may ask, is there anything I can use node.js to do that I can't use PHP to do??
Not really. let me give a simple instance. Say you're running a bank and need to attend to client's deposit requests.
In nodejs, all clients join a single queue, and there request are forwarded to the appropriate channel while they wait. Once the request is completed, nodejs gets back to them. In essence, all you need is one teller to attend to client requests. In PHP however, for each client, there's a separate teller to attend to him/her. So you need a lot of tellers the more clients you have. In plain terms, nodejs helps you manage server resource, while PHP allocates server resource to each user/request.

However, if your app has a lot of internal computations to do, PHP is better cos if you use nodejs, the computations will delay other clients (cos they're on the same queue). But if your app doesn't have much intensive calculations and you need the client experience to seem instant (e.g chat app), nodejs is the way.

Most firms are opting for nodejs nowadays cos they believe it'll help reduce cost (lesser servers).

3 Likes

Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by Nobody: 10:42am On Mar 22, 2019
Bolaji21:

Not really. let me give a simple instance. Say you're running a bank and need to attend to client's deposit requests.
In nodejs, all clients join a single queue, and there request are forwarded to the appropriate channel while they wait. Once the request is completed, nodejs gets back to them. In essence, all you need is one teller to attend to client requests. In PHP however, for each client, there's a separate teller to attend to him/her. So you need a lot of tellers the more clients you have. In plain terms, nodejs helps you manage server resource, while PHP allocates server resource to each user/request.

However, if your app has a lot of internal computations to do, PHP is better cos if you use nodejs, the computations will delay other clients (cos they're on the same queue). But if your app doesn't have much intensive calculations and you need the client experience to seem instant (e.g chat app), nodejs is the way.

Most firms are opting for nodejs nowadays cos they believe it'll help reduce cost (lesser servers).

Wow..
I understand better now.
Thanks bro.
Re: Node.js Or PHP ? by makavele: 12:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
Not true, just as you said it, with PHP too, you can actually aasign all request to a single queue, if you are limited on server resources, instead of running them concurrently.

PHP offers this feature even in the simplest task as emailing; how much more intensive tasks.

(1) (Reply)

Application In Php / Programmer 101: Teach Yourself How To Code / Tigerjs My Personal Javascript Library Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.