Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars (1497 Views)

60-Year-Old Man Stole A Car In Jos, Plateau State - See What Happened To Him / How I Hacked Into Bank Customers’ Accounts – Graduate (Pictured) / EFCC Arraigns Man Who Hacked Into Server Of A Bank And Steal N68bn(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by oladayo042: 9:51am On Sep 06, 2010
When Aduralere Babatunde Ojo lost 40,000 dollars via internet business in February 2010, he was psychologically affected.

But like most rich businessmen, he had swept it under the carpet, labelling it as one of the flukes in businesses.

Ojo’s business is buying and selling of bakery items. He had been in the business since 1978, and had seen the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of the trade.

In the business, which he lost 40,000 dollars, he had been communicating with a Chinese firm that sells modern oven that will make baking easier and less time consuming.

According to him, he decided to start trading in foreign ovens, “ because local ones, didn’t have much raw materials to compete with foreign ones”.

He further explained that it was basically because of this need for modernisation and search for a new market to make baking easier and more profitable that he travelled to China in 2006.

In China, he found the Chinese firm that deals in bakery items and started a business correspondence with them. Immediately he returned to Nigeria, he kept in touch via e-mail, and was about to seal a deal worth 40,000 dollars with the company to which he had paid some money. Then suddenly for reasons he could not fathom, the company abruptly stopped communicating with him.

In August, exactly eight months after he lost his money, three men approached him; they wanted to know if he was interested in buying some bakery equipment they had just imported.

Ojo, always open to new business adventures, followed him to the warehouse where they stored the bakery items.

Ojo said that he must have stopped breathing for a minute, when he saw the items, for they were the exact make and numbers of items he had specified, ordered and was supposed to received from the Chinese firm.

He explained that he knew it was nothing short of divine intervention and had pretended to be an interested buyer, until he invited the police, who arrested the suspects.

They were identified as Ahmed Raheem, 26; a trained mechanic and Olusesan Ajibare, 54, an estate agent.

Police spokeman, Frank Mba, said: “Ojo ran into problem on the deal over his inability to access the internet independently and had to seek for assistance from a cybercafe attendant, whenever he goes to any cybercafe.

“Unknown to Ojo, this laxity was explored and exploited by Raheem and another accomplice, who hijacked the criminal business from him. All was set for the company to send his cargo, but something went wrong.

“Ahmed hacked into his e-mail, and got hold of Ojo’s transactions and immediately started dealing with the company. He managed to get bill of laden and other clearing documents.

“He did that in connivance with Sesan Ajibare. It was Ajibare that provided the financial and technical advice to perfect the deal and also approached a professional money lender, who accepted to give them money needed to clear the goods from Apapa.’’

The suspects were said to have started shopping for a buyer for the goods kept in the home of the money lender at Palmgrove in Lagos, where incidentally, Ojo resides.

The duo approached Ojo, who on sighting the goods, counted the items, and suspected that they could be his own.

He began to pretend as if he was interested in buying the ovens. He deposited some money, then he alerted the police.

Ojo said: “ This is my second deal with the company.I really don’t know and can’t explain how these men hijacked my business.

“Suddenly, when I send e-mails to the company, they won’t reply. I used to call a lady there, who said I should stop calling her. She told me that there was a problem

“After the company accepted to send me some ovens, I paid $38,500. I was about to pay the balance when the company stopped communication with me.

“ All efforts to know what went wrong, proved abortive.”

Raheem who claimed to have trained as a mechanic at Folagoro area of Shomolu after he graduated from Morocco Comprehensive High School in 1999, was all smiles.

For someone who had been nabbed for cybercrime, he appeared unperturbed.

According to him, he opened his e-mail one day and saw a mail about buying and shipping in, bakery items from China.

He claimed to have been surprised to see the e-mail in his box and said: “ I believe the e-mail was sent to my inbox by mistake.

“ I replied the message and the person also replied. Since then, I kept on monitoring the job. My e-mail is jamesscot@yahoo.com, but when I started discussing with this company in China, I created a new yahoo account, with Adura’s name.”

As soon as Raheem changed the e-mail, all correspondence to Ojo’s email stopped. This was precisely the point, he lost control of his goods.

Raheem added: “The Chinese lady asked me for an address to send the documents for the clearing of the goods.

“They were later sent to Nigeria. We cleared the goods with the assistance of the people Ajibare introduced into the deal.

“The goods were kept at the money lender’s warehouse at Palmgrove.’’

Ajibare, who denied been an ‘area father’ to Raheem narrated his own side of the story.

He said: “It was Raheem’s friends who introduced him to me. They approached me, saying that Raheem’s brother sent some goods from China, and they didn’t know how to go about it.

“He told me that his brother had already paid for the goods. I asked him for the bill of lading which he later provided.

“I went to a friend, Alhaji Jimoh’s office at Palmgrove and explained that Raheem wanted to clear goods.

“Alhaji Jimoh is a friend of the money lender. It was also Jimoh that introduced the clearing agent at Apapa to us.

“I went ahead to get money from the lender, who was also introduced to us by Jimoh, in order to clear the goods.

“The money lender lent us N1 million, plus the N500,000 given to us by Jimoh, making it N 1.5 million.

“The receipts of payment is attached to the bill of lading with the number of the goods.”

The Nigerian Compass gathered that the suspects agreed to use the goods as a collateral and thus kept with the money lender identified as Mukaila Runsewe. They had sold two items from the goods before the police swooped on the suspects.

Runsewe, 57, said: “When they came to me, to lend them money, I asked some people to go on market research, just to know the worth of the goods before I give them the required amount.

“They agreed to put the goods in my custody, and used it as collateral. The two machine that I sold were at N60,000 and N70,000.

“All the goods were worth N7.5 million. When I gave the N1 million, it was based on 10 per cent interest. I didn’t know the goods were stolen.”

Mba said: “On no account must anyone disclose e-mail, ATM, Drivers’ Licenses particulars, passwords to anyone.

“Such thing like password should not be hawked on the streets. We believe that’s how the victim lost track of his business. We also use this opportunity to advise youngsters to stay off cybercrimes, or the long arms of the law will soon catch up with them!

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67156:how-mechanic-hacked-into-millionaires-e-mail-stole-40000-dollars-&catid=40:crime-a-security&Itemid=696

Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by poweredcom(m): 1:28am On Sep 07, 2010
grin men every body na hit man ooo men see eleran wan hammer oo kai naija don spoil e no go better for our leaders they are the cause of all these
Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by shotster50(m): 2:14am On Sep 07, 2010
Aduralere Babatunde Ojo is one lucky dude!
Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by mamagee3(f): 11:43pm On Sep 07, 2010
He's so ugly as heck!

See his eyes like a pool of dirty water.
Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 08, 2010
mama-gee:

He's so ugly as heck!

See his eyes like a pool of dirty water.

LMAO! grin
Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by AloyEmeka5: 7:42am On Sep 08, 2010
Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by harakiri(m): 5:32pm On Sep 12, 2010
Nna na wa ooo! So every bodi for 9ja na con artist? Kai. . .

Anyone passing this dude on the street wouldn't expect him to have an email address not to talk of HACKING one!

NB : For those of you in western countries who do online shopping via phone, understand that your phone can be hacked and your financial details "mismanaged". Also, your cell phone can be accessed remotely (especially those of you who leave their blue-tooth ON all the time) and the hacker can prompt your phone to dial a premium number with extremely high calling rates and at the end of the day, you find yourself with phone bills amounting to hundreds of dollars (sometimes thousands of dollars).

End of!
Re: How Mechanic Hacked Into Millionaire’s E-mail, Stole 40,000 Dollars by Mobinga: 1:14am On Sep 13, 2010
Handsome Boy

(1) (Reply)

'alfa' Allegedly Rapés Teenager During Deliverance. / Two Lesbians Sentenced To 14 Years In Prison / OMG! Pastor Seat On Church Members Before Praying For Them (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.