Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,399 members, 7,836,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio (16446 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Expulsion Of Babcock Female Student In Leaked Sex Video / WAEC Official Dismissed Over Involvement In Exam Malpractice 24 Years Ago / Waec Timetable 2018/2019 Pdf | Download May/june Waec Official Time Table Here O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by nextstep(m): 5:36pm On Mar 25, 2019
donb06:

Bro please do you know that waec is west africa... and the time table cant be changed by nigeria alone.....chad (predominantly muslims) write these exams no complain....Senegal (90% muslim write this exam exact same time) no complain, Niger(95% muslim) write these exams no complain one MUMURIC some where is crying.....Has the SULTAN complained NO....I tire ooo

Just because people don't complain does not make it right. Historically, change has happened because of a very small number of people who didn't like the status quo and thought we could do better - the vast majority of us would rather just go along with things.

We have a duty to be fair and equitable to all. Sunday as weekend was established for religions reasons, and it came to include the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday), also for religious reasons. The natural question for some people is "Why is Friday also not included for religious reasons?", and I think it's a fair question to ponder with seriousness.

See https://www.nairaland.com/5097287/waec-official-threatens-muric-director/2#76977423 where I expand a bit on the history of weekends.
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by nextstep(m): 5:39pm On Mar 25, 2019
Kusetic:

Religion still isn't an extenuating circumstance that requires exam times to be adjusted. The moment such a concession is made, what's to stop Christians or satanists from asking for their own concessions. Sets a bad precedence is all I am saying

We have a duty to be fair and equitable to all. Sunday as weekend was established for religious reasons, and it came to include the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday), also for religious reasons because of the populations of Europe and Americas that demanded for it. The natural question for some people is "Why is Friday also not included for religious reasons?", and I think it's a fair question to ponder with seriousness.

Religion can be an extenuating circumstance for those who take it seriously, and it behooves all of us, to take all of us, seriously. (not a typo)

"In 1908, the first five-day workweek in the United States was instituted by a New England cotton mill so that Jewish workers would not have to work on the Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.[9] In 1926, Henry Ford began shutting down his automotive factories for all of Saturday and Sunday. In 1929, the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America Union was the first union to demand and receive a five-day workweek. The rest of the United States slowly followed, but it was not until 1940, when a provision of the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act mandating a maximum 40-hour workweek went into effect, that the two-day weekend was adopted nationwide.[9]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_and_weekend

So I don't fully understand your position that religion is not an extenuating circumstance, since there have been provisions made over millennia - and indeed the last century - for religion.

See https://www.nairaland.com/5097287/waec-official-threatens-muric-director/2#76977423 where I expand a bit on the history of weekends.
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by Kusetic(m): 5:52pm On Mar 25, 2019
nextstep:

Nigeria has been an independent country for almost 60 years comprised of about 48% Christian, 49% Muslim, 2% other, and like every independent country, should come up with solutions that satisfy the plurality of its citizens, with an eye towards equity for all, including very small minorities.

The Northern part was also colonized, remember, and those in charge imposed their will for administrative purposes, so the weekend is the same in both places. The Christian Sabbath (Sunday) was just one day, but over time in the 20th century, the weekend expanded to include the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday). It's not entirely unreasonable to see that perhaps in time, the Muslim Jum'ah (Friday) may also be included, especially in countries with significant populations of Muslims. I would welcome a 3-day weekend, which appears to satisfy every religion and sect.

We can use the remaining 4 days to be productive, as we as humans lean towards a more relaxed, less overworked, society (which was the entire point of taking a break in the first place).

The present-day concept of the "weekend" first arose in the industrial north of Britain in the early part of the nineteenth century.[1] The Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America Union was the first to successfully demand a five-day work week in 1929. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_and_weekend

So you see, our current notions of 2-day weekends are not written in stone; have been expanded; happen on various days; were adopted by different countries at different times, if at all (Britain in early 1800s, USA almost a century later in 1929; Japan in 1980s, Mexico and Vietnam still on six-day weeks); and even have their origins in Roman traditional rites.

We have to consider our unique situation of having two major religions (rare in the world), and work towards solutions that work for all of us.

Nigeria is a secular country, we don't mix religion and state together because we have other religions and non religions. Let's try to not favour only Muslims or Christians. A secular state works for us and it's only when we try to inject religion into our systems that problems come up.

1 Like

Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by Kusetic(m): 6:17pm On Mar 25, 2019
nextstep:

We have a duty to be fair and equitable to all. Sunday as weekend was established for religious reasons, and it came to include the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday), also for religious reasons because of the populations of Europe and Americas that demanded for it. The natural question for some people is "Why is Friday also not included for religious reasons?", and I think it's a fair question to ponder with seriousness.

Religion can be an extenuating circumstance for those who take it seriously, and it behooves all of us, to take all of us, seriously. (not a typo)

"In 1908, the first five-day workweek in the United States was instituted by a New England cotton mill so that Jewish workers would not have to work on the Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.[9] In 1926, Henry Ford began shutting down his automotive factories for all of Saturday and Sunday. In 1929, the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America Union was the first union to demand and receive a five-day workweek. The rest of the United States slowly followed, but it was not until 1940, when a provision of the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act mandating a maximum 40-hour workweek went into effect, that the two-day weekend was adopted nationwide.[9]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_and_weekend

So I don't fully understand your position that religion is not an extenuating circumstance, since there have been provisions made over millennia - and indeed the last century - for religion.

An extenuating circumstance is one that is beyond an individual's control. Religion doesn't control us, though it's designed to, since it is only a belief. Likewise, the government is not an extension of religion in Nigeria, we are not a Christian, islamic or traditional religious state. Therefore, WAEC, NECO and other examining bodies or even any of our public institutions cannot be dictated to by a religious entity on how to carry out their duties.
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by samsam2019: 8:43pm On Mar 25, 2019
Muslims complain about everything.

Evil religion and cult
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 5:21pm On Mar 26, 2019
Let it not clash with Muslims' praying hour. They can easily shift whatever exam from Friday to any other day of the week so that it won't affect any group from observing their prayers. We are only making meal of things in this country.
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by mignone(f): 5:35am On Mar 27, 2019
maasoap:

Really! You don't solve problems in such a way. Public schools belong to all.
Even public schools have their rules which are known before enrolling a child. Do d few Islam founded public schools approve d activities of other types of worship?
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by mignone(f): 5:58am On Mar 27, 2019
Weekends are there for everyone for any form of worship.those hours spent doing other things while one should be busy at work or attending to ppl are reasons for our backwardness in dis country. Why wld a worker keep disappearing at intervals,claiming to av gone to pray? Such a fellow shd just resign to prayers&leave d duties for those who want to perform.yes, other worshippers, Christians, organise prayers in some civil/public service bt dt doesn't happen at intervals everyday in d week.
The UAE&other Arab nations av Fri/Sat as their weekend &other worshippers do whatever on those days.
Imagine sm students who missed a class test were on passionate grounds scheduled for a make up, came in late with d bold claims of having gone to pray. God so good, I hadn't asked wat mode of prayer before sending them back to resign to prayers to pass. They later told me they were coming from d mosque.
Also imagine co-workers taking offence while u're eating during ramadan;I used to ask them if I ever bcast my fasting days to them. I wonder what they want to turn this country into, bt I declare: it won't work!
I can boldly say here dt muslims are just overbearing.they have their plans too, but Nigeria is a secular space&nt an islamic nation,so their plans CANNOT work.it shall not stand.
I guess they've even forgotten dt WAEC is an international body and the foundation of westernisation in Nigeria today came with Christianity whose practitioners are never quick to lay any claims
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by bigfish3k: 4:58pm On Mar 27, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
Let it not clash with Muslims' praying hour. They can easily shift whatever exam from Friday to any other day of the week so that it won't affect any group from observing their prayers. We are only making meal of things in this country.

so u think after u allow them this, they will not come up with another thing. u cant satisfy these people.
instead of going back and forth with them every now and then, i support they have their own country and govern themselves with their religious dictates. WHO CARES
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2019
bigfish3k:

so u think after u allow them this, they will not come up with another thing. u cant satisfy these people.
instead of going back and forth with them every now and then, i support they have their own country and govern themselves with their religious dictates. WHO CARES

It's emotion and sentiment typing not you.If we must come via that angle,Christians enjoy relatively previleges .
Re: WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio by bigfish3k: 5:30pm On Mar 27, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

It's emotion and sentiment typing not you.If we must come via that angle,Christians enjoy relatively previleges .

thats why we ask them to seek for their own country where they can enjoy 100% more than the christians. or do u like this back and forth thing every time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB PRINT OUT: Drop Your Email To Get Yours / 2012/2013 FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP (Nigerian Awards) / Federal Polytechnic Bida 2011/2012 Admission Is Open

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.