Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,356 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane (44166 Views)

Meet Nwando Phina Okpaleke The Airpeace Pilot Who Landed An Airplane In Anambra / My First Time Onboard An Airplane / See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Uyi168: 4:06pm On Mar 28, 2019
Topmaike007:
that's where parashoot came in
Commercial airlines are not equipped with parachutes..
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by kayalcomp: 4:10pm On Mar 28, 2019
pls is it possible for someone to jump out from plane using parachute before plane crash?

1 Like

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Topmaike007(m): 4:18pm On Mar 28, 2019
Uyi168:
Commercial airlines are not equipped with parachutes..
na wa oo
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by identitylenz(m): 4:40pm On Mar 28, 2019
Are there men in the house?
Here comes NOVAGE MEN ORIFLAME
introducing NOVAGE men, the high performance anti-ageing solution for me.
This product set comes with four packs of higher performance for anti ageing which features
1. NOVAGE MEN EYE RESCUE GEL
2.NOVAGE MEN ENERGISING AND HYDRATING BOOSTER
3.NOVAGE MEN INTENSE ANTI AGEING FAVE GEL LOTION
4. NOVAGE MEN PURIFYING AND EXFOLIATING CLEANSER.
Due to this product high performance of anti-ageing for men it's on high demand.
Place your order while it's still in stock.
For more information inbox me or call via 09028256291....
ORIFLAME!!

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Satan66(m): 5:30pm On Mar 28, 2019
wiseone28:
why can't the plane be made to withstand crash like the black box
Too heavy
Mad expensive

5 Likes

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Satan66(m): 5:32pm On Mar 28, 2019
Topmaike007:
na wa oo
Imagine jumping out from a 14000 ft high airplane with no training undecided
Think before you talk.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Topmaike007(m): 5:53pm On Mar 28, 2019
Satan66:

Imagine jumping out from a 14000 ft high airplane with no training undecided
Think before you talk.
in one word you're a devil

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by MorataFC: 7:20pm On Mar 28, 2019
fk001:
Now I know.

Thanks.

But they should rather invent something useful that will prevent the plane from crashing. To me it is useless when lives are already lost.
hmmnn, that can be invented by SOMEONE whose habitation isn't among men.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Kaydeexotic(m): 9:48pm On Mar 28, 2019
wiseone28:
why can't the plane be made to withstand crash like the black box

Because the plane will be too heavy to fly with the passengers on board...

The black box is made with a special type of alloy metal...

4 Likes

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by jerryvyne(m): 1:55am On Mar 29, 2019
elucidated well techcapon! kudos
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by btrocky09(m): 4:39am On Mar 29, 2019
Nice
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by DonroxyII: 5:06am On Mar 29, 2019
The idea that blackbox should be reporting to the satellite real time is the best but hmmm, Real time will truly invade pilot's privacy and can also be hijacked by terrorists/Saboteurs ...... It can lead to warfare ooo ...... They can know the flying pattern of the plane and so on by intercepting the pilot and the plane in real time .....
Imagine , China/North Korea/Russia Hackers !!

I think the Idea of parachute attached to the plane is still my best bet ..... When a plane in crisis drop to certain feet above sea level and while in crisis, a parachute attached to the plane should be activated .... Manually or automatically to steer the plane to nearly available safety even whereof it is an ocean, the plane should be able to withstand ocean!!

I am sad that plane still crash in my time as well as other Auto and Technologies, I wish that techs would have been perfected !!

Blessings and success to all that make the giant strides .....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Felixalex(m): 5:18am On Mar 29, 2019
DavilleBadt:
Why cant plane manufacturers make d body of planes as strong as dat of d black box covers

Plus the weight of passengers, how the plane wan take float for air na?
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by bamasite(m): 5:20am On Mar 29, 2019
It is not useless since the data can be used to prevent further crashes
fk001:
Now I know.

Thanks.

But they should rather invent something useful that will prevent the plane from crashing. To me it is useless when lives are already lost.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by sonature1: 5:21am On Mar 29, 2019
Topmaike007:
If it is not techapon then it's not worth reading.

modified;

Now I learnt something New today....thanks techapon

TechCapon is good..no doubt

But articles from Autojosh, Explorer and BiafranBushBoy are outstanding.

1 Like

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Credobee(m): 5:38am On Mar 29, 2019
Very informative........thanks op.........in other news why did he AIB of the Dana crash in Oshodi tell us that the flight recorder was burnt beyond recognition........just wondering......
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by femi4: 5:43am On Mar 29, 2019
Who put this topic on replay
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Topmaike007(m): 5:47am On Mar 29, 2019
sonature1:

TechCapon is good..no doubt

But articles from Autojosh, Explorer and BiafranBushBoy are outstanding.
explorer is da bomb
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by TechCapon(m): 5:53am On Mar 29, 2019
DavilleBadt:
Why cant plane manufacturers make d body of planes as strong as dat of d black box covers
the plane will be too heavy to fly
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Gsteve01(m): 5:55am On Mar 29, 2019
Informative
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by zonax(m): 6:00am On Mar 29, 2019
DavilleBadt:

They alloy materials used to encase the black box are very heavy, non malleable, and heard to destroy. If every part of an aeroplane is to be made with this metal, rescue workers would have a hard time breaking in to save lives after a crash. By the time they get it passengers may have died of either suffocation,extreme hot temperature/burn or mechanical injuries.
These are very expensive metals that the cost of constructing an aeroplane would be 50 times more than it is now and dont forget they are mostly in it for business sake.
It would be difficult for the plane to fly as it would be just another piece of heavy metal and large insulator materials would ve needed to protectthe inside of the aeroplane and its occupants.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by princeade86(m): 6:01am On Mar 29, 2019
TechCapon:
TechCapon

4. THEY ARE INSTALLED NEAR THE TAIL OF THE PLANE

The plane manufacturers are so smart that they figured out most plane crashes usually occur from the front and not the back. They know that in order to protect the black box, they need to install it in a spot with the least impact during a crash. That spot is the tail region. The memory chips are covered in strong steel and titanium cases that are designed to withstand the worst crash and heat. They are also surrounded by insulators that protect it against high temperatures including fire burning at over 10,000 degrees Celsius. That means no matter how badly damaged the box is or the aircraft is, the memory chips will remain intact!

5. THEY CAN TRANSMIT THEIR OWN SIGNALS

Yes, you heard me. The black box is fitted with its own beacons to enable them to transmit signals. This is very useful especially if the aircraft crashed inside a sea or ocean. It will transmit ultra-sound signals every second for 30 days. The signal is so powerful that it can travel through 14,000ft of water.

However, the case of Malaysian airline MH370 is still a mystery that continued to shock the world. For over 2 years, there’s still no clue to where the plane is or what happened to the aeroplane. This is why engineers are working on new technology that will not leave that data only in the black box but rather transmit those data real time to the ground through satellite. The issues this technology will face is the issue of privacy and cost. This is because there’s no need to get the flight data unless there’s a plane disaster. The pilot’s privacy will be violated.

6. #FUNFACT: THE NAME “BLACK BOX” IS NOT EVEN A RECOGNISED NAME IN THE AVIATION INDUSTRY

A lot of you may be wondering, “why is it called a black box when the colour is actually orange?”

Very funny but interesting question. The word “Black Box” is not really used in the aviation industry. Rumour has it that the reason why it is called “Black Box” is that when there’s a plane crash, the fire and heat from the crash will burn off the orange surface thereby turning the colour to black! Nobody really knows where the name black box came from. The proper name for it is “flight recorders” or “Onboard recording devices.”

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/everything-you-should-about-an-airplane-black-box/

i think they gave it the name because it record also when black incident happens.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by dingbang(m): 6:02am On Mar 29, 2019
DavilleBadt:
how much you go pay for flight ticket if them build plane to withstand crash?

1 Like

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by SVC6000: 6:06am On Mar 29, 2019
They Shud Try Nd Convert The Whole Plane To Orange Box So To Prevent Ppl 4rm Dieing During Crash
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by dedoz: 6:11am On Mar 29, 2019
Very informative.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by SaturnNick(m): 6:17am On Mar 29, 2019
TechCapon:
TechCapon

Popularly known as a flight recorder, today TechCapon will take out time to explain to you everything you should know about an aeroplane black box.

Whenever there’s a major plane crash anywhere in the world, a team of investigators go to the crash site and survey the area. The first thing they do is to look for the plane’s black box and then retrieve it. Then they contact the air traffic controller as well as gather information about the plane from the airline involved.

The aeroplane black box is the last hope for the friends and families of the victims to know exactly what caused the crash. It also helps authorities to determine the cause of the crash so as to use that information to prevent a future plane crash due to the same issue. The black box is so important that even in cases where there are no survivors, it can still give full details of what happened during the final minutes leading to the crash.

THE BLACK BOX IS ACTUALLY ORANGE IN COLOUR AND NOT BLACK

Most people I have encountered think that because it is called the “black box”, the colour must be black. That conclusion is absolutely wrong! I don’t blame them, most people have not had the opportunity to see what a black box look like. Perhaps, they are not even interested to know. However, it is surprising to know that the colour is actually orange and not black as widely speculated.

2. THE BLACK BOX IS ACTUALLY “2 BOXES” AND NOT 1 BOX.

Yeah, you heard me right. They are actually 2 orange boxes and not 1 box as most people think. These orange boxes are the flight recorders. The idea to invent the black box came up in the 1950s when the first commercial jetliner had 5 accidents in its first 2 years of service. Then the authorities didn’t know what is causing the planes to crash. They came up with the idea that it would be nice to create some sort of recorders that would record things happening in the planes before they crash. Now the technology for recording flight data have improved tremendously, they now record the data on memory chips.

3. THE BLACK BOX IS MADE OF 2 MAJOR COMPONENTS

Now that you know that the black box is actually 2 and not 1, the question will be “what are the 2 components?” Well, the first component is actually the “cockpit voice recorder”. This records every sound in the cockpit as well as the voice from the pilot’s microphones in the last two hours. In most cases, this cockpit voice recorder is enough to tell investigators what led to the crash.

For example, the case of “German Wings” airline which crashed in 2015 killing everyone on board. The cockpit voice recorder showed that it was actually the pilot who locked out his co-pilot and crashed the plane. It showed the co-pilot banging on the door and yelling “for God’s sake open the door” while passengers were screaming at the background. The second component is the “flight data recorder”. This captures more data than the cockpit voice recorder. This tells investigators everything that happened before the plane lost power.

thanks techcapon... But why cant the plane itself be covered in strong steel and titanium case too?
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by msiu(m): 6:21am On Mar 29, 2019
This is very informative and educational. I have always though that the box was actually black all these while.

So now that we know that the box are two, should we still call black box in error or 'Black boxes'? undecided undecided undecided

I think there should be a way to make it possible for the co-pilot to open get into the cockpit when ever the pilot becomes suicidal like the case of the 2015 pilot that killed every body.

Fingerprint technology should be employed so that once locked, the co pilot can unlock from outside the cockpit

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Nellybank(m): 6:25am On Mar 29, 2019
True talk but only God can save us
fk001:
Now I know.

Thanks.

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by rOsy247(f): 6:27am On Mar 29, 2019
Nice one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soldiers In South-East Force Travellers To Alight From Vehicles At Checkpoints / Terrible Accident At Obosi-nkpor Road Anambra; So Many Confirmed Dead (ph / Taking Food Out Of Airplanes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.