Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,694 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane (44221 Views)

Meet Nwando Phina Okpaleke The Airpeace Pilot Who Landed An Airplane In Anambra / My First Time Onboard An Airplane / See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by TechCapon(m): 7:33am On Mar 29, 2019
princeade86:
i think they gave it the name because it record also when black incident happens.
grin
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by TechCapon(m): 7:36am On Mar 29, 2019
JoanHicks:
Thank you

Come get a peck please
so how can I get the peck? cheesy
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Ayobami1738: 7:38am On Mar 29, 2019
[quote author=DavilleBadt post=77058702]Why cant plane manufacturers make d body of planes as strong as dat of d black box coversThe plane would be too heavy
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by MASTERMIND04(m): 7:41am On Mar 29, 2019
IjebuWarrior:

Well, there goes your opportunity to become the richest man ever! Go ahead and manufacture one... save our world!

Anyway, thanks to the OP!
grin grin
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Offpoint1: 7:51am On Mar 29, 2019
Topmaike007:
your monicker says alot about you cheesy jump out ke grin
grin I dey jump out, I fit go land for better place or still I go die alone and in silent... nobi among those people wey go dey scream, shout and cry like babiesgrin
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Donchukz(m): 7:51am On Mar 29, 2019
I have been thinking about this ,can't the engineers just manufacture something that will automatically eject passengers automatically from the plane ✈,when a disastrous problem arises,or something that can cocoon all that's onboard the plane in the eventuality of accident.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Thryphosa(m): 7:53am On Mar 29, 2019
Very informative thread. Keep it up, sir.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Ebere2020(m): 7:55am On Mar 29, 2019
TechCapon:
TechCapon

4. THEY ARE INSTALLED NEAR THE TAIL OF THE PLANE

The plane manufacturers are so smart that they figured out most plane crashes usually occur from the front and not the back. They know that in order to protect the black box, they need to install it in a spot with the least impact during a crash. That spot is the tail region. The memory chips are covered in strong steel and titanium cases that are designed to withstand the worst crash and heat. They are also surrounded by insulators that protect it against high temperatures including fire burning at over 10,000 degrees Celsius. That means no matter how badly damaged the box is or the aircraft is, the memory chips will remain intact!

5. THEY CAN TRANSMIT THEIR OWN SIGNALS

Yes, you heard me. The black box is fitted with its own beacons to enable them to transmit signals. This is very useful especially if the aircraft crashed inside a sea or ocean. It will transmit ultra-sound signals every second for 30 days. The signal is so powerful that it can travel through 14,000ft of water.

However, the case of Malaysian airline MH370 is still a mystery that continued to shock the world. For over 2 years, there’s still no clue to where the plane is or what happened to the aeroplane. This is why engineers are working on new technology that will not leave that data only in the black box but rather transmit those data real time to the ground through satellite. The issues this technology will face is the issue of privacy and cost. This is because there’s no need to get the flight data unless there’s a plane disaster. The pilot’s privacy will be violated.

6. #FUNFACT: THE NAME “BLACK BOX” IS NOT EVEN A RECOGNISED NAME IN THE AVIATION INDUSTRY

A lot of you may be wondering, “why is it called a black box when the colour is actually orange?”

Very funny but interesting question. The word “Black Box” is not really used in the aviation industry. Rumour has it that the reason why it is called “Black Box” is that when there’s a plane crash, the fire and heat from the crash will burn off the orange surface thereby turning the colour to black! Nobody really knows where the name black box came from. The proper name for it is “flight recorders” or “Onboard recording devices.”

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/everything-you-should-about-an-airplane-black-box/

Educative
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Topmaike007(m): 7:55am On Mar 29, 2019
Offpoint1:

grin I dey jump out, I fit go land for better place or still I go die alone and in silent... nobi among those people wey go dey scream, shout and cry like babiesgrin
lolz you crack me up
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Jerrychimaijem(m): 7:56am On Mar 29, 2019
What if the same materials used in the construction of the black box is also used to construct the aircraft itself?
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Nsonaso(m): 7:56am On Mar 29, 2019
Realtord43:
Nice info. the black box is only useful when there is a plane crash right? and if the black box can be so protected like that, then the aircraft too need more measure to protect the passenger, the can improve on safety like the fighter jet cry

Chairman easy... Is not possible stop comparing the 2

The Black Box contains electronic chips. There is no air inside everything is sealed
How do you want them to put humans in that kind of a thing

Fighter Jet like you said is only 1 person inside... Aircraft carries 300+ how can you manufacture 300+ equipment and how can dey fly out. Because it doesn't have the same build like jet

Though there is a new concept if they implement it is going to go a long way in saving life.

The engine is separate from the pesenger side... During crash the whole pesenger cabinet will be ejected (I really don't know how to explain it but is a good concept)

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by largeman4u(m): 8:02am On Mar 29, 2019
Interesting
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by whiteeyes: 8:03am On Mar 29, 2019
Realtord43:
Nice info. the black box is only useful when there is a plane crash right? and if the black box can be so protected like that, then the aircraft too need more measure to protect the passenger, the can improve on safety like the fighter jet cry
Why can't they even use tge same black box material to manufacture the plane sef na kwesion i dey oh
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by mukthar2000(m): 8:04am On Mar 29, 2019
Thanks a lot for the enlightenment
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by NoRetreat(m): 8:04am On Mar 29, 2019
God bless the writer, Black box is not black! Boxes are two not one!!. Once again thank you for job well done.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Oblivionsmiles: 8:07am On Mar 29, 2019
Thanks for sharing, very informative.

[/i]Wanna buy a gift and you don't know what to get, why not contact me today let me blow your mind with amazing ideas and packages [i]
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by JaceBlaze: 8:11am On Mar 29, 2019
Very informative,OP

I have been watching air crash investigations for years and I used to have this misconception that the "black boxes" were placed directly under the pilots' seats.I always knew some of the info but thanks anyway smiley

But why don't they have the same recording devices in freight trains?
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 29, 2019
TechCapon:
TechCapon

The plane manufacturers are so smart that they figured out most plane crashes usually occur from the front and not the back. They know that in order to protect the black box, they need to install it in a spot with the least impact during a crash. That spot is the tail region. The memory chips are covered in strong steel and titanium cases that are designed to withstand the worst crash and heat. They are also surrounded by insulators that protect it against high temperatures including fire burning at over 10,000 degrees Celsius. That means no matter how badly damaged the box is or the aircraft is, the memory chips will remain intact!

Yes, you heard me. The black box is fitted with its own beacons to enable them to transmit signals. This is very useful especially if the aircraft crashed inside a sea or ocean. It will transmit ultra-sound signals every second for 30 days. The signal is so powerful that it can travel through 14,000ft of water.

However, the case of Malaysian airline MH370 is still a mystery that continued to shock the world. For over 2 years, there’s still no clue to where the plane is or what happened to the aeroplane. This is why engineers are working on new technology that will not leave that data only in the black box but rather transmit those data real time to the ground through satellite. The issues this technology will face is the issue of privacy and cost. This is because there’s no need to get the flight data unless there’s a plane disaster. The pilot’s privacy will be violated.

6. #FUNFACT: THE NAME “BLACK BOX” IS NOT EVEN A RECOGNISED NAME IN THE AVIATION INDUSTRY

A lot of you may be wondering, “why is it called a black box when the colour is actually orange?”

Very funny but interesting question. The word “Black Box” is not really used in the aviation industry. Rumour has it that the reason why it is called “Black Box” is that when there’s a plane crash, the fire and heat from the crash will burn off the orange surface thereby turning the colour to black! Nobody really knows where the name black box came from. The proper name for it is “flight recorders” or “Onboard recording devices.”

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by nothingspoil70: 8:16am On Mar 29, 2019
Credobee:
Very informative........thanks op.........in other news why did he AIB of the Dana crash in Oshodi tell us that the flight recorder was burnt beyond recognition........just wondering......
Did they show us the burnt black box? No. My assumption is someone is covering up something
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by JaceBlaze: 8:16am On Mar 29, 2019
DavilleBadt:
Why cant plane manufacturers make d body of planes as strong as dat of d black box covers
That would be the heaviest plane ever.Would it even be able to take off??
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Rollitout: 8:23am On Mar 29, 2019
TechCapon:
TechCapon

Can it also be called FDR Flight Data Recorder ?
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Angel223: 8:24am On Mar 29, 2019
angry
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by deebrain(m): 8:29am On Mar 29, 2019
This is what Nairaland should be about.

Thanks a million Op.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Gatsbythegreat1: 8:30am On Mar 29, 2019
Black colour represents death,disaster.so calling a box that records the moment and cause of this disaster and deaths a black box doesn't sound bad...I think that is where the name came from.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by mvem(m): 8:30am On Mar 29, 2019
Levelsmack:
So informative

But why are passengers not allowed to jump out with parachute during some plane mis functions
...because you are not trained to use it... You will still die, jumping 15000 ft with a parachute..... You think parachute will just automatically land you. Soldiers go several years in HAHO or HALO learning to use a parachute and still some still make mistakes... And you are here talking of every individual using parachute on a plane...How can that be!!!

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by mvem(m): 8:32am On Mar 29, 2019
Jerrychimaijem:
What if the same materials used in the construction of the black box is also used to construct the aircraft itself?
...for your mind you asked a smart question... smh
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by TechCapon(m): 8:39am On Mar 29, 2019
Rollitout:

Can it also be called FDR Flight Data Recorder ?
flight data recorder and cockpit recorder make up the black box
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Psoul(m): 8:44am On Mar 29, 2019
fk001:
Now I know.

Thanks.

But they should rather invent something useful that will prevent the plane from crashing. To me it is useless when lives are already lost.

That is just what the post is saying.
The ORD(Onboard Recording Device) aka Black Box was invented to help reveal causes aircraft crash. With the information gather, improvements are made on aircraft to avoid the re-occurrence.
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by Richiez(m): 8:45am On Mar 29, 2019
cool
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by kings59: 8:46am On Mar 29, 2019
TechCapon:
it records voice and sound in the cockpit in the last 2 hours. After which it will keep erasing and recording. This means anytime you open it, you'll find sound recorded in the last 2 hours before the plane crashed

I think I kinda understand now. Let's assume the plane is about to crash, it has been recording, now it crashes and disconnect from its socket and stops.

Now, what if the record is at 1hour:59 mins :50 seconds, and the plane crashes and disconnects from the box at 2hr :00mins:00 second, it now hits the ground at 0hours: 00 minutes : 4 seconds, and disconnects.

How are they gonna find out what happened,because it had erased its memory just 4 seconds past?

Can they get anything or hear anything or detect anything with just that 4 seconds?
Re: Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane by CrownFemi: 8:59am On Mar 29, 2019
God bless the writer of this article... So educative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

List Of Africa's Most Visited Countries In 2023 / 2 Dead As Private Jet Carrying 5 Lands On Florida Interstate / Seychelles Is Not What You Think It Is! (cost Of Living)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.