Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,624 members, 7,823,748 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

A Thorn In The Flesh - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Thorn In The Flesh (87050 Views)

A Thorn in the Flesh 2 / POUND OF FLESH (episode 1) Written By Tolulope Olulola / A Pound Of Flesh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Amb25: 4:23pm On May 26, 2019
FantasticJ:

Yeske, Ann..... Will you be my Kike?
Don't worry, I am not a Yahoo boy
wetin you come dey wait 4 go join Yahoo asap.
no do Yahoo! . . . . . . . . . . . Do Yahoo plus. lol
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 4:49pm On May 26, 2019
Ann2012:

Na Yahoo boy I want cheesy

Well, you could pay a visit to Naira Maley. Lol

Ok then, I will be your Yahoo boy
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by tonysunkan: 6:25am On May 27, 2019
Within thirty minutes, Bisola got to my flat.

'Hello, love,' she greeted.

'Hello, dear.'

We kissed briefly. Today, she was wearing jeans trousers and a blue t-shirt. She looked pretty in them.

'So, how's the weekend?' she asked.

'Let's just say we thank God,' I replied.

She came to sit on my legs and to rub my chest, but the last thing on my mind was sex.

'When are you planning to do wedding?' she asked.

I was surprised by the question.

'What wedding?'

'Our wedding.'

I nearly burst into laughter. How presumptuous! Did I ever tell her about wedding?

'I'm not thinking about any wedding,' I answered.

'But we can't remain single forever,' she pointed out. 'I'll be graduating next year and within two years of graduating, I will love us to have the
wedding.'

I was bemused. Surely, she was thinking in error if she imagined that I would take her to the altar.

An idea suddenly occurred to me. 'I will pray about it,' I said.

She looked at me sharply and incredibly. 'What did you say?'

'I said I will pray about it,' I repeated.

She looked at me curiously and burst into laughter. 'Oh dear. But then, no problem, I won't mind marrying a pastor!'

I knew she was trying to pooh pooh the import of what I said, but then, she would not be getting any commitment from me.

'Why're you so cool, today?' she asked.

'Cool?'

'Yes. I'm sitting on your lap and you've not even touched me.'

'Oh.' I grinned. 'I'm a little bit down.'

‘Don't be down o. I'm here now, so, you shouldn't be down.'

I nodded. She was quite right. She was with me, so why must I be down? I knew it was Kike's matter that was making me to be down, but that
was unnecessary. I decided to consider my situation as a bird in hand being worthier than two in the bush. It was succinct: Bisola was the bird in
hand. I managed to respond to her by cuddling her body. Right there in the sitting-room, we had each other. Bisola remained in my apartment till
the following day, Sunday.

'This is one of the most exciting weekends I have ever had,' she gushed. I drove her back to her campus as it had become habitual of me.

Before she got down from the car, she said something I found irksome: 'I think the earlier we get married, the better. I don't want any other lady
to snatch you away from me. I can't bear losing you.'

She kissed me goodbye and disembarked from the car. Now, why was it that it was when I told Kike about marriage that Bisola too was bringing
forth the matter?

Get the complete story from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/a_thorn_in_the_flesh_18/26753

Read other interesting stories: https://thrillplus..com/

3 Likes

Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 8:30am On May 27, 2019
Thank you Op
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Ann2012(f): 10:03am On May 27, 2019
FantasticJ:

Well, you could pay a visit to Naira Maley. Lol

Ok then, I will be your Yahoo boy
Lolz, OK
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by izaray(f): 10:05am On May 27, 2019
Carry on dear

Thanks for the update
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 10:09am On May 27, 2019
Ann2012:

Lolz, OK

Good. So, How's it gonna be?

Dm me your contact.
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Ann2012(f): 11:02am On May 27, 2019
FantasticJ:

Good. So, How's it gonna be?

Dm me your contact.

Go sleep jare
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 3:26pm On May 27, 2019
Ann2012:

Go sleep jare

Ann, don't be like this na.

See because of you, I've joined Yahoo Yahoo.

It's noon so, I shouldn't sleep by now.

Kosere ni Moscow
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Ann2012(f): 3:28pm On May 27, 2019
cheesy
FantasticJ:

Ann, don't be like this na.

See because of you, I've joined Yahoo Yahoo.

It's noon so, I shouldn't sleep by now.

Kosere ni Moscow
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 9:15pm On May 27, 2019
Ann2012:
cheesy

wink ; cheesy

DM?

1 Like

Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by tonysunkan: 6:09am On May 28, 2019
Before she got down from the car, she said something I found irksome: 'I think the earlier we get married, the better. I don't want any other lady to snatch you away from me. I can't bear losing you.'

She kissed me goodbye and disembarked from the car. Now, why was it that it was when I told Kike about marriage that Bisola too was bringing forth the matter?

Anyway, I would keep telling her I would pray about it and, finally, I would come with the answer that God did not give me the go ahead. That
should be simple enough, shouldn't it?

It was Monday morning that Kike finally called me.

'I've seriously prayed about it,' she said. 'The Lord said it can be.'

'Really? Does that mean your answer is yes?'

'I’m not too sure. But to me, personally, the answer is yes.’ '

'Hmn, that's Kike, my baby.' I found myself getting excited.

But that was ironic. At the back of my mind, I believed she should be the one to get excited because I proposed to marry her. Why was I
behaving over her like this?

'But, there's a clause,' she went on.

I became alert. 'What clause?'

'I was made to understand the there's a thorn in your flesh that must be got rid off, if everything is to go well.'

I caught my breath. 'A thorn in the flesh? What is that thorn in the flesh?'

'That is what you really have to pray about. Are you ready to turn your life to Christ? Doing that will help you attain what you desire, especially
about me.'

I breathed in deeply. It was interesting to note that my dear Kike was sermonizing. I briefly considered what she said. The 'thorn' she was
referring to, I had no doubt, was my lust for sex. I had options before me. If I wanted a wild, sex life, Bisola would perfectly fit in, but I wanted
such a life no more. I preferred to go with cool Kike, and that would mean I had to drop 'the wild' aspect.

'I will pray for you,' Kike was saying. 'I love you and I really want to be your wife, but we have to pray.'

I felt lifted by her words. 'Alright, Kike. Don't worry, things will work out well.'

If I wasn't very sure before, now I was certain that I was in love with her. It didn't matter that she was our house maid. It didn't matter that my parents were the ones sponsoring her education. I was now fully convinced that Kike was the lady for me. The following morning, Tuesday, I took early morning flight to Abuja to work at the Abuja office. By Friday afternoon, I was back in Lagos. Kike and I were now in touch every day. Now,

I loved to hear her voice. I even had to persuade her to send her accounts details to me so that I would send some money to her. A couple of hours after I arrived Lagos that Friday afternoon, Dad called me.

'I want you to come to Ikeja this evening,' he said. 'There's a matter we need to discuss.'

'Okay, dad.'

By seven p.m., I was at our Ikeja home. Dad had not yet come, but mum was around. I gave mum a bear hug.

'This your new job is paying off,' she said. 'See how your cheeks are coming out.'

We laughed briefly. Dad did not come until eight o'clock. In the large living-room, dad, mum and I sat to discuss private matter.

'It's something we should have told you before now,' dad began. 'But we decided to wait until she is about to complete her education. Now, the
time is ripe.'

I was in the dark about what dad was talking about, so I kept quiet.

Get the complete story: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/a_thorn_in_the_flesh_18/26753

Read other interesting stories at: https://thrillplus..com/

3 Likes

Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by izaray(f): 9:59am On May 28, 2019
Wow..The story is making more sense daily

Kudos
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 10:21am On May 28, 2019
OP, the plot twister
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by skubido(m): 10:47am On May 28, 2019
Won de oooo

Tanks for the update
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Kaycee9242(m): 10:51am On May 28, 2019
nice one op
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by yungbanks(m): 11:06am On May 28, 2019
More pls
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by tonysunkan: 12:24pm On May 28, 2019
izaray:
Wow..The story is making more sense daily

Kudos

FantasticJ:
OP, the plot twister

Kaycee9242:
nice one op

yungbanks:
More pls

Many thanks for your positive comments.
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by aprilwise(m): 1:02pm On May 28, 2019
Things complicated. Let's wait for the next update. Thanks for the update
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Ann2012(f): 6:01pm On May 28, 2019
Interesting
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by bossy512(f): 8:06pm On May 28, 2019
Nice one, thanks for the update
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Aforke27: 8:21pm On May 28, 2019
this is good. more mb to your phone
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by tonysunkan: 11:36pm On May 28, 2019
Ann2012:
Interesting

Aforke27:
this is good.
more mb to your phone

Thanks.
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by favortales: 9:12pm On May 29, 2019
Nice story.
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by tonysunkan: 6:15am On May 30, 2019
By seven p.m., I was at our Ikeja home. Dad had not yet come, but mum was around. I gave mum a bear hug.

'This your new job is paying off,' she said. 'See how your cheeks are coming out.'

We laughed briefly. Dad did not come until eight o'clock. In the large living-room, dad, mum and I sat to discuss private matter.

'It's something we should have told you before now,' dad began. 'But we decided to wait until she is about to complete her education. Now, the
time is ripe.'

I was in the dark about what dad was talking about, so I kept quiet.

'She will be finishing her course this year, so this is the best time to say it. You know Yetunde, the daughter of the senator, don't you?'

'Yes, dad.'

'She has just finished from Covenant University this year. This is the time for the two of you to become very familiar.'

I clouded my face. 'I don't understand, dad. Very familiar, as how?'

'Yes, let me explain things to you. Her father, the senator, has been my childhood friend, long before he ever dreamt of joining politics or
becoming a senator. Ever since you were a baby, I had an agreement with him that you, my son, will marry her daughter. He has already told
Yetunde and she says no problem. Now, I'm telling you. We want you to take Yetunde as your wife, to further foster the relationship between us.
That's why we wanted to see you.'

I opened my mouth in wonderment. I could simply not believe what I was hearing. I looked from dad to mum, who just sat down beside her
husband quietly.

'I can't believe what you're saying, dad,' I said. 'How could you be making arrangement for who I will marry behind my back, I mean without my input?'

'It's for your own good, Henry. It's for the family.'

I shook my head. I knew Yetunde, alright, but I never fancied her becoming my wife. She was pretty but very saucy, in addition to being
arrogant. Was that the one I would take as wife?

'I don't love her, dad,' I said. 'I don't love her and I don't want her as wife.'

'Listen to me, Henry,' mum came in. 'Love is not always what we think it is.’

'Love grows over time,' dad interrupted her. 'It's not something so sudden. It's not like the infatuation you have for Kike.'

I was surprised to hear that. How did he know about my feelings for Kike? I looked at my mum and what I saw in her eyes told me that she was
the one who told dad about it.

‘Love is based on something solid,’ dad went on. ‘Not on abstract. Marrying Yetunde is like building on a rock. Marrying the common housemaid
(he had emphasized the word, ‘maid’) is like building on sand. Can’t you see the difference? Which one is better? Is it to build on rock, or to build
on sand?’

I didn’t like the way he referred to Kike as ‘common house maid.’ He was too condescending there. Then, he called it ‘building on sand’. I
disagreed with him. Yes, Kike did not have an affluent background, but she had intelligence, decency and wisdom. I had no doubt that even if
she was not seen as asset yet, she would soon become one.

‘But, what about love, dad? I can’t just marry someone I don’t love.’

Get the full story: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/a_thorn_in_the_flesh_18/26753

Read other interesting stories: https://thrillplus..com/

2 Likes

Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Kaycee9242(m): 6:34am On May 30, 2019
well done op
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by Ann2012(f): 7:53am On May 30, 2019
Na wa oooo

Thanks for the update
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by FantasticJ: 9:12am On May 30, 2019
Ann, do you want your dad to tell you the same thing before you send that DM? cheesy

By the way, Op, you are good man.
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by aprilwise(m): 9:16am On May 30, 2019
Rich people with their arrange marriage. Thanks for the update.
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by izaray(f): 9:45am On May 30, 2019
No be small thing oh
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by skubido(m): 10:52pm On May 30, 2019
See danger, wahala dey oooooo

Tanks for the update
Re: A Thorn In The Flesh by tonysunkan: 11:38am On Jun 01, 2019
I didn’t like the way he referred to Kike as ‘common house maid.’ He was too condescending there. Then, he called it ‘building on sand’. I disagreed with him.

Yes, Kike did not have an affluent background, but she had intelligence, decency and wisdom. I had no doubt that even if she was not seen as asset yet, she would soon become one.

‘But, what about love, dad? I can’t just marry someone I don’t love.’

'You will love her,' dad said. 'Yetunde is a pretty and respectable lady. By the time you get to know each other much better, you'll see how loveable she is.'

Mum stared at me. 'Don't worry, Henry, dear. 'I'm sure your dad is right. By the time you and Yetunde know each other much better, you'll see that she'll be a very good wife for you.'

I didn't agree with the two of them, but I decided not to press the issue further.

'Any time she visits you in your flat, which will be very soon, treat her well,' dad said. He stood up. 'Have a nice weekend, Henry. I want to relax in my room for now.'

'Okay, dad.'

He left mum and me in the sitting-room. I turn to her.
'Mum, do you really think this will work?'

She smiled benignly at me. 'Why don't you give it a trial first?'

I sighed. My mind went to Kike. How would I tell her about this? How would she feel? I shook my head. I was seriously at a crossroad.

Some minutes later, the new housemaid came to inform that dinner was ready. I ate before I left for Lawanson. Even as I drove to my apartment, I kept mentally comparing Yetunde with Kike. Any day, my choice would be the latter. But I decided for now, I would play along with the wishes of my parents and the senator. I got home and switched on the television. I put it on a movie channel, but my mind was barely following the story. Few minutes to ten, Bisola called.

'Hello, love,' she greeted.

'Bisola, how're you?'

'I'm cool. Be expecting me over there tomorrow morning.'

I had to think fast.

'Sorry, I won't be around tomorrow,' I lied.

'What! We will you be?'

'Something came up and I have to take the first morning flight to Abuja.'

'Oh, no. Just when I thought the weekend will be groovy. When will you be back?'

I paused slightly. 'I don't know yet.'

'Oh. Alright. Let me know when you're back.'

I sighed. 'Okay.'

The line went dead. Well, at least, I had been able to temporarily disable trouble from Bisola. But my main worry was Kike. Anyway, things would sort out themselves. On Saturday morning, I planned how best to handle Yetunde during her visit. I decided neither to be hostile nor to be warm towards her. When she got the message that I didn't love her, she would be the one to opt out of further relationship.

Few minutes to noon, Yetunde called me.

'Good morning, Henry. How're you?'

'Fine. How're you, too?'

Download the book from:. https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/a_thorn_in_the_flesh_18/26753

Read other interesting stories:. https://thrillplus..com/

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Chronicles Of Temy (my Life On Campus) / My Crony / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.