Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed (53813 Views)

List Of Nationalities In The Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane / Professor Pius Adesanmi Dies In Ethiopia Airlines Plane Crash - John O. Oba / Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crashes With 157 People On Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Taeewo(m): 1:26pm On Mar 31, 2019
loveth360:
what is wrong with you yoruba muslims.
what is wrong with you yoruba is okay, no need adding Muslim... Thanks.. God bless you..
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Arkmanbuddy(m): 1:27pm On Mar 31, 2019
dingbang:
Even if Nigeria had an airline, I would rather travel by road.

Libya tinz...chop knuckle my guy!

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Sholaco: 1:27pm On Mar 31, 2019
What is pitch up again, is that the only information they got from the black box undecided

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Ikpongiton: 1:27pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:
And I was in that plane o, how I manage to survive is what I can't explain.....praise God
see what you are wishing yourself. May the merciful God forgive you -amen
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by BiafraIsFree: 1:29pm On Mar 31, 2019
I want to see Nigeria Airplanes with corrupt Nigerian politicians on board crash soon.

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by tosyne2much(m): 1:30pm On Mar 31, 2019
Boeing is just looking for every little opportunity to tag the pilot as untrained and incompetent

2 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by AngelicBeing: 1:30pm On Mar 31, 2019
sad
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by SouthSouth1914: 1:31pm On Mar 31, 2019
TourismMan:
So what is now the interpretation/meaning of the pitch up pitch up to a lay man understanding?

Gain altitude! The aeroplane was already looosing height.. hence the reason he said pitch up!!

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by BiafraIsFree: 1:31pm On Mar 31, 2019
That is the aviation languages to use lie to you. Case close.

Sholaco:
What is pitch up again, is that the only information they got from the black box undecided
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Fogman(m): 1:32pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:
And I was in that plane o, how I manage to survive is what I can't explain.....praise God

You don't use everything for a joke

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 31, 2019
My flight phobia keeps increasing everyday.....anytime i enter plane i make sure i drink atleast 2 or 3 bottles of pakalin.....so that i either wake up at my destination or i wake up in hell...in case the plane crashes
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by ThothHermes: 1:36pm On Mar 31, 2019
TourismMan:
So what is now the interpretation/meaning of the pitch up pitch up to a lay man understanding?
The plane was moving normally but the software was wrongly forcing the nose down. So the pilot was saying "pitch up" i.e. drag it up to counter the effect of the anti-stall software.

3 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Neoteny(m): 1:38pm On Mar 31, 2019
TourismMan:

The plane was nose-diving, the Pilot Flying was being told by the other pilot to rotate the plane upwards ("pitch up" ) to avoid the dive. Pitching is rotation along the X axis in the 3 degrees of motion of flight, with the others being yaw and bank.

The 737 MAX is an extended range version of the 737NG with bigger engines which are placed forward. With that configuration, the plane has a tendency to pitch up when in thrust. The MCAS helps to stabilize flight by pitching the nose down using the tail wing trim controls. It also assists in stall conditions.

A stall is a situation whereby a plane loses lift (or the ability to remain aloft) due to slow speeds or an increased angle of attack whereby the winds rushing over the wings are not enough to maintain lift. Ideally, in a stall condition, the pilot simply pitches the nose down at speed such that more air would rush over the wings and create lift. MCAS helps by doing this automatically, unfortunately in the case of the two 737MAX accidents, MCAS behaved erroneously due to wrong sensor data and pitched the nose down into a dive, and seemed to refuse the pilots the ability to override the system. Boeing claims that there is a procedure to override MCAS, but a lot of pilots were not trained in this procedure.

Hope this helps.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by InvertedHammer: 1:41pm On Mar 31, 2019
Gracealone:
Americans and their media have since been looking for ways to paint Ethiopian Airlines and their personnel as negligent and untrained in order to absolve Boeing of any blame.

This is ridiculous.
/
Not necessarily.
Preliminary investigation showed that the problem was faulty sensors triggering the MCAS. The result would be pilots fighting with computers. MCAS triggers nose down while the pilots fight to bring the nose up. Man vs machine--who wins? The results are there. That's why Boeing came out with software patches to fix the bug. But trust American spin doctors, they will find a way to railroad the argument to pilots' fault. But the truth is very vivid to all discerning minds.

Fix or no fix, I ain't going anywhere near the 737 Max series. Remarkably, I am not alone in this position.

/

5 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Neoteny(m): 1:43pm On Mar 31, 2019
InvertedHammer:

/
Not necessarily.
Preliminary investigation showed that the problem was faulty sensors triggering the MCAS. The result would be pilots fighting with computers. MCAS triggers nose down while the pilots fight to bring the nose up. Man vs machine--who wins? The results are there. That's why Boeing came out with software patches to fix the bug. But trust American spin doctors, they will find a way to railroad the argument to pilots' fault. But the truth is very vivid to all discerning minds.

/

Exactly

Boeing would do anything to save its best selling plane. Sadly it took a crash for them to release a software patch.

A lot of people do not know that modern jetliners are almost completely flown by software.

3 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by openmine(m): 1:44pm On Mar 31, 2019
Neoteny:

The plane was nose-diving, the Pilot Flying was being told by the other pilot to rotate the plane upwards ("pitch up" ) to avoid the dive. Pitching is rotation along the X axis in the 3 degrees of motion of flight, with the others being yaw and bank.

The 737 MAX is an extended range version of the 737NG with bigger engines which are placed forward. With that configuration, the plane has a tendency to pitch up when in thrust. The MCAS helps to stabilize flight by pitching the nose down. It also assists in stall conditions.

A stall is a situation whereby a plane losses lift (or the ability to remain aloft) due to slow speeds or an increased angle of attack whereby the winds rushing over the wings are not enough to maintain lift. Ideally, in a stall condition, the pilot simply pitches the nose down at speed such that more air would rush over the wings and create lift. MCAS helps by doing this automatically, unfortunately in the case of the two 737MAX accidents, MCAS behaved erroneously due to wrong sensor data and pitched the nose down into a dive, and seemed to refuse the pilots the ability to override the system. Boeing claims that there is a procedure to override MCAS, but a lot of pilots were not trained in this procedure.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this explanation!
Now I see why people are trained to use both manual and automatic while driving just in case the automatic fails!

3 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Neoteny(m): 1:46pm On Mar 31, 2019
openmine:

Thank for this explanation!
Now I see why people are trained to use both manual and automatic while driving just in case the automatic fails!

Ideally plane systems are not supposed to fail, due to multiple redundancies, but when they do pilots are usually trained on how to use checklists and experience to safely land, or control-crash the plane if needs be.

However, Boeing really screwed up on this plane, and it's so sad about 350 had to lose their lives before a fix comes.

I think in the short term the 737 Max is doomed.

2 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Butoneday2(m): 1:47pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:
This is not a joke section.

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by TourismMan(m): 1:49pm On Mar 31, 2019
Neoteny:

The 737 MAX is an extended range version of the 737NG with bigger engines which are placed forward. With that configuration, the plane has a tendency to pitch up when in thrust. The MCAS helps to stabilize flight by pitching the nose down. It also assists in stall conditions.

A stall is a situation whereby a plane losses lift (or the ability to remain aloft) due to slow speeds or an increased angle of attack whereby the winds rushing over the wings are not enough to maintain lift. Ideally, in a stall condition, the pilot simply pitches the nose down at speed such that more air would rush over the wings and create lift. MCAS helps by doing this automatically, unfortunately in the case of the two 737MAX accidents, MCAS behaved erroneously due to wrong sensor data and pitched the nose down into a dive, and seemed to refuse the pilots the ability to override the system. Boeing claims that there is a procedure to override MCAS, but a lot of pilots were not trained in this procedure.

Hope this helps.

ThothHermes:
The plane was moving normally but the software was wrongly forcing the nose down. So the pilot was saying "pitch up" i.e. drag it up to counter the effect of the anti-stall software.

SouthSouth1914:

Gain altitude! The aeroplane was already looosing height.. hence the reason he said pitch up!!
Thank you all for the responses.

2 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by SjMbula(m): 1:52pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:
may sango help your preeq
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by SjMbula(m): 1:52pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:
may sango help your preeq . Amen
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Emmzy201(m): 1:53pm On Mar 31, 2019
SarkinYarki:
It's clear this accident was caused by the auto trimming software MCAS , we have seen auto trimming softwares work aerodynamically unstable military planes like the B2 and F117 who wouldn't be able to even fly without such softwares working overtime to create input aerodynamics and stabilization but bringing such software into commercial aircraft to augment poor aerodynamics should be discouraged , commercial aircraft must depend on traditional aerodynamics as it's foundation and only use trimming software as minimally as possible ..The 737 max problem started from the moment the Boeing design team decided to ignore traditional aerodynamics in a bid to force in the CFM Leap turbofan engine into their aircraft to beat time and protect it's market from the encroaching Airbus A330 Neo the CFM engines were larger than what the low fuselage of the 737 could handle so the opted to move the engine further out the wings to create suitable clearance from the ground , this change will greatly change the aerodynamics of the 737 causing it to tend to pitch up during a flight which if unchecked could lead to a stall , so BOEing introduces MCAS which they have used on various military flying wing prototypes to come in and automatically pitch the planes nose down any time it's notices on over pitch upwards , the problem is that MCAS must work in tandem with a couple of sensors most important which is the Angle of Attack swivel sensor and if these sensors sends any faulty info to MCAS the software is also bound to overreact like what we saw on both crashes where the softwares thought the plane was going into a stall and attempts to recover the plane by pitching down and increasing engine power ( pilots would understand this ) but the problem here is that the plane was not stalling like the software thought but only climbing during the take off phase .

Way out for Boeing now .

I am a die hard fan of the 737 family and I consider it the safest commercial plane ever made and the most successful but in the wake of the recen crashes of the the Max series this what I think Boeing can do .

1 .shop for a smaller engine with the same performance spec as the CFM 1B leap.
OR
2.Re design the 737 so it can accommodate the CFM Leap engine .
OR

3 . Make MCAS to be redundant during the take off and landing phase of every flight and only active at cruise altitude .
u be boss
I wanna be a pilot but no money or sponsor

2 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by EmzyT: 1:58pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:

They just said all 157 people who boarded the plane died, so how comes?

you wrote this thrash all in the name of Joke, Stop it. There's absolutely nothing to joke about here.

Block-headed pig.

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by cutelover19(m): 2:02pm On Mar 31, 2019
SarkinYarki:
It's clear this accident was caused by the auto trimming software MCAS , we have seen auto trimming softwares work aerodynamically unstable military planes like the B2 and F117 who wouldn't be able to even fly without such softwares working overtime to create input aerodynamics and stabilization but bringing such software into commercial aircraft to augment poor aerodynamics should be discouraged , commercial aircraft must depend on traditional aerodynamics as it's foundation and only use trimming software as minimally as possible ..The 737 max problem started from the moment the Boeing design team decided to ignore traditional aerodynamics in a bid to force in the CFM Leap turbofan engine into their aircraft to beat time and protect it's market from the encroaching Airbus A330 Neo the CFM engines were larger than what the low fuselage of the 737 could handle so the opted to move the engine further out the wings to create suitable clearance from the ground , this change will greatly change the aerodynamics of the 737 causing it to tend to pitch up during a flight which if unchecked could lead to a stall , so BOEing introduces MCAS which they have used on various military flying wing prototypes to come in and automatically pitch the planes nose down any time it's notices on over pitch upwards , the problem is that MCAS must work in tandem with a couple of sensors most important which is the Angle of Attack swivel sensor and if these sensors sends any faulty info to MCAS the software is also bound to overreact like what we saw on both crashes where the softwares thought the plane was going into a stall and attempts to recover the plane by pitching down and increasing engine power ( pilots would understand this ) but the problem here is that the plane was not stalling like the software thought but only climbing during the take off phase .

Way out for Boeing now .

I am a die hard fan of the 737 family and I consider it the safest commercial plane ever made and the most successful but in the wake of the recen crashes of the the Max series this what I think Boeing can do .

OR
OR

3 . Make MCAS to be redundant during the take off and landing phase of every flight and only active at cruise altitude .

Very fantastic points raised. I really fault the FAA because this happened under their noses. Airplane manufacturers will always try to manipulate designs and features to fit with the demands of airlines which might not be realistic. The FAA should be the equalizer to ensure that innovations are matched by safety and greedy manufacturers do not produce flawed aircraft in the bit to outsell competitors.

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2019
Satan66:

lipsrsealed
Afonjas never surprise me with their stupidity
Osus always showcasing their stupidity

I don't know if it has to do with their flat heads
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 31, 2019
loveth360:
What's wrong with you OSU ipob jew?
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by boxypane(m): 2:12pm On Mar 31, 2019
When they are using software update to play tennis with peoples lives.

1 Like

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by handsomeyinka(m): 2:21pm On Mar 31, 2019
youngest85:

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Houseofglam7(f): 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Way out for Boeing now .

OR
OR

Just marry me!!!

2 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by openmine(m): 2:27pm On Mar 31, 2019
Neoteny:

Ideally plane systems are not supposed to fail, due to multiple redundancies, but when they do pilots are usually trained on how to use checklists and experience to safely land, or control-crash the plane if needs be.

However, Boeing really screwed up on this plane, and it's so sad about 350 had to lose their lives before a fix comes.

I think in the short term the 737 Max is doomed.
True...so unfortunate!

2 Likes

Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by abula112(m): 2:30pm On Mar 31, 2019
loveth360:
unfortunately he is a igbo muslim
Re: Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed by Kylekent59: 2:54pm On Mar 31, 2019
SouthSouth1914:

Altitude matters too, like flying 33,000 feet, the plane will balance and fly safely.

One a plane pitches up and has not attain a safe altitude, if it mistakenly turns, it's a problem.

The fear in today's plane is taking off, and reaching a safe altitude.

This was the same thing that happened to a Brazil airflight from saó Paulo, immediately it took off, it hadn't even reached safe altitude, the plane began to turn by itself, the two pilot struggled, it came to balance,it started again, this time they tried their best.

The plane landed and all were dead.

The control system was faulty and the negligence of the service engineers caused it + power loss.

Nose down is not caused by a pilot, but control system had been tampered with.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Jasmine Harrison, The Youngest Female To Row Solo Across Atlantic Ocean / xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / ₦250k Fare: Lagos To Anambra/Asaba Flight Almost Empty (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.