Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? (828 Views)

Five Reasons Why You Are Afraid To Launch Your Dreams / Should You Be Afraid Of Your Boss? / I Am Proud To Be An Accounting Technician Of Ican-sign In If U Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? by Donmeca(m): 2:04pm On Sep 10, 2010
I was confronted with the thought of our tendency to conform to norms, rules, peer pressure and the like-not looking outside our comfort zones. I began to imagine, looking back, those things I would have done differently had I not been afraid of what people or the society would say/do about them and they are surprisingly enormous.

I then decided to throw the question to my fellow Nlanders. Do think. Think about what the fear of both d known and unknown has cost u in your family, relationship, job/career, school, and life generally. And then tell me;

WHAT WOULD U REALLY DO IF AND ONLY IF U WERE NOT AFRAID?
Re: What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? by AjanleKoko: 1:22pm On Sep 13, 2010
Hmm.
I wouldn't say it is fear of the known or unknown. It's ignorance, plain and simple. That is the greatest challenge facing the majority of Nigerians.

As for me, I've luckily been able to do many of the things I set out to do, without necessarily putting myself under pressure.
Re: What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? by argentina: 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2010
^^^^^ i don't think its ignorance, some peeps know what it takes to try , but fear of failure keeps them from even venturing, some its just what will people say - public opinion and approval, others its just sheer procrastination due to attained comfort zones and reluctance to act.
Re: What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? by AjanleKoko: 4:40pm On Sep 13, 2010
argentina:

^^^^^ i don't think its ignorance, some peeps know what it takes to try , but fear of failure keeps them from even venturing, some its just what will people say - public opinion and approval, others its just sheer procrastination due to attained comfort zones and reluctance to act.

I beg to differ. Fear is a global thing, as there are comfort zones everywhere. For example, fear may prevent you from entering for Survivor, or the Amazing Race, or running the Marathon. But in Nigeria, it is mostly about ignorance, not even fear. Most of the people don't even have a clue how to lift themselves above their birth status.

For example, a carpenter does not realise he needs to acquire more knowledge and skill, in order to excel as a carpenter. He would rather dump the whole carpentry thing and start riding okada, since that looks like quick money. Now the government has banned okada, what does the gentleman do. He'll most likely take to crime, and when he's caught, will blame the 'situation in the country' for his predicament.

I'll give you a good example. Where I used to work, there was this guard that was always sleeping on duty. I once asked him what the issue was, and he said he lived in a room with two wives and eight children, and was hardly ever able to get any rest. Now for such a character, would you say it was fear of the unknown that kept him stuck in a guard job, with two wives and eight children?
Re: What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? by argentina: 11:45am On Sep 14, 2010
Bros , i reason with you on ur examples and i will postulate more on them on the contrary,
the carpenter know's he has to acquire more skill, but he is content with the little he knows and does not want to bother himself any further, such a fellow is looking for quick bucks , in the first place the carpentry thing is not what he really wants to do but just something to pass the time hoping that one day he will hit it BIG hook or crook,
that is why he jumps on the okada riding bang wagon when he sees, maybe his friend or neighbour coming home with money!!

In this life nothing good comes easy , it requires hard work ,perseverance, and painstaking patience to attain to whatever height one has to reach.

Naturally human beings always look for the easier way out, which is the bane of our society among our youths and some of our leaders, nobody cares how u makes it to the top.

the security Gaurd that stays in one room with 2 wives and 8 children choose to live that way, afterall he sees u an upwardly mobile ivy league proffesional, does he not like to be like u? do u have 2 wives and 8 children??

i bet u if he knows what u have to go thru to get to were u are i bet he will find it too time wasting and cumbersome .so he has to utilize his time in procreation and sleeping on duty the next morning, how does that translate to wealth

Every body has a choice in life to be wat they want to be , poverty and riches is a choice, the amount of energy u put in uplifting urself is still the same amount of energy u expend doing NOTHING!!

In everything u do there is a price tag!!, as u can bear me witness, where u are today was as a result of the plan and positive action u took years back!!, no be beans!!

and i know the road has not been smooth either, so it takes the brave and determined hearted to take a bold step to change ones destiny, our destiny is in our hands

some peeps are not ready to pay that price, no matter the amount of information that is open to dem, of what use is the information to one if u can not act on it.

they say information is power,but that information will be of no use to the person who do not know what to make of it.

ignorance is not bliss, this is the information age.
Re: What Would You Do If U Weren't Afraid? by mbulela: 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I'll give you a good example. Where I used to work, there was this guard that was always sleeping on duty. I once asked him what the issue was, and he said he lived in a room with two wives and eight children, and was hardly ever able to get any rest. Now for such a character, would you say it was fear of the unknown that kept him stuck in a guard job, with two wives and eight children?

na fear of the unknown jare!
dude was not sure one wife would give him the eight children he needs as insurance for old age.
so he married two.
if they had not given him 8 kids early enough he would have married a third one. grin

(1) (Reply)

The People Who Get Employed / Nama Hopeful / Mainstreet Bank Sacks 800

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.