Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,151 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank (21045 Views)

Obinna Ukwuani Appointed Chief Digital Officer Of Bank Of Kigali / Installation Of World Heaviest Regenerator, RFCC Unit At The Dangote Refinery. / David Malpass Is World Bank 13th President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by 6Ebisco: 11:25pm On Apr 05, 2019
The World Bank Executive Directors has on Friday chosen David Malpass as President of the World Bank Group for a five-year term, beginning on Tuesday, April 9.

The World Bank in a press release published on its website, said the appointment followed a transparent nomination process where any national of the Bank’s membership could be proposed by any Executive Director or Governor.

“The Board looks forward to working with Malpass on the implementation of the Forward Look and the Capital Package Agreement as articulated in the Sustainable Financing for Sustainable Development Paper,” the bank said.

The World Bank President is Chair of the Boards of Directors of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA).

The President is also ex-officio Chair of the Boards of Directors of the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the Administrative Council of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).

Malpass previously served as Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs for the U.S.

As Under Secretary, Malpass represented the United States in international settings, including the G-7 and G-20 Deputy Finance Ministerial, World Bank-IMF Spring and Annual Meetings of the World Bank.

He also played a role in several major World Bank Group reforms and initiatives.

He was also instrumental in advancing the Debt Transparency Initiative, adopted by the World Bank and IMF, to increase public disclosure of debt and thereby reducing the frequency and severity of debt crises.

Prior to becoming Under Secretary, Malpass was an international economist and founder of a macroeconomics research firm based in New York City.

Earlier in his career, Malpass served as the U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Developing Nations and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Latin American Economic Affairs.

In these roles, he focused on an array of economic, budget, and foreign policy issues, such as the U.S involvement in multilateral institutions, including the World Bank.

Malpass had served on the boards of the Council of the Americas, Economic Club of New York, and the National Committee on U.S–China Relations.

He earned his bachelor’s degree from Colorado College and his MBA from the University of Denver.

He undertook advanced graduate work in international economics at the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. (NAN)

http://mcebiscoo.com/2019/04/05/david-malpass-appointed-13th-president-of-world-bank/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by lonelydora: 3:18am On Apr 06, 2019
Congratulations David.

I was just on my own minding my business when this topic hit the front page. And since you all are sleeping, i became the "First to comment".

Nice

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by naijjaman(m): 3:20am On Apr 06, 2019
Ok
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by AntiZombie: 3:20am On Apr 06, 2019
Nice

The could b like the zenith of a bankers

Or economist career

1 Like

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by GavelSlam: 3:21am On Apr 06, 2019
Ok
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by sonature1: 3:21am On Apr 06, 2019
When more qualified Okonjo-Iweala was denied the position of world bank president for America's Jim Yong Kim, I then realized that talents are evenly distributed but opportunities are not.

Analysts explained that the position of World Bank head is traditionally meant for Americans while that of the IMF is for the Europeans. Well, other continents are just special observers grin

Indeed, coming from certain countries gives someone an automatic privilege others could only wish they could have.

Congratulations to the new world Bank president

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by eliwa47(m): 3:24am On Apr 06, 2019
We don hear, does that make any meaningful and positive impact on Nigerian economy? just asking ni o!
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by konkacid: 3:33am On Apr 06, 2019
Nawa o... Okonjo nko?
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by DonroxyII: 3:39am On Apr 06, 2019
America using world bank to rob the world since time 0 .....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by panpan(m): 3:42am On Apr 06, 2019
6Ebisco:
... the appointment followed a transparent nomination process where any national of the Bank’s membership could be proposed by any Executive Director or Governor.
In theory, any national of the bank's membership can be appointed.

However, in practice, the current and all the past World Bank presidents have been nationals of the United States.

9 Likes

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by scribble: 3:52am On Apr 06, 2019
lonelydora:
Congratulations David.

I was just on my own minding my business when this topic hit the front page. And since you all are sleeping, i became the "First to comment".

Nice

We are not sleeping o, it's network

6 Likes

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by dalass(f): 3:55am On Apr 06, 2019
I wonder why you people don't sleep. Trying to grab FTC cheesy

1 Like

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by DavSagacity(m): 3:59am On Apr 06, 2019
lonelydora:
Congratulations David.

Nice

And since to comment first is the target you are passionately running after on Nairaland, to you I say
"May GOd bless your hussle"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by StoneLucifer: 3:59am On Apr 06, 2019
Qualification and Priviledge are two complete different games..

2 Likes

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by Gerrard59(m): 4:01am On Apr 06, 2019
And to think that he studied physics in his first degree cheesy. Reminds me of Tidjane Thiam of Credit Sussie.

sonature1:
When more qualified Okonjo-Iweala was denied the position of world bank president for America's Jim Yong Kim, I then realized that talents are evenly distributed but opportunities are not.

Analysts argued that the position of World Bank head is traditionally meant for Americans while that of the IMF is for the Europeans. Well, other continents are just special observers grin

Indeed, coming from certain countries gives someone an automatic privilege others can only wish they could have.

Congratulations to new world Bank president

It's not partiality. The US contributes more to the World Bank than any other country. Japan even has more credence to the position than African nations. He who pays the piper dictates the tune. The solution is for African nations to utilise their resources well and forge ahead instead of blaming others. An instance is the Asian Development Bank which has had ALL its presidents to be Japanese. Why? She contributes the most. The Chinese knowing fully well that she has literally no say created her own bank - AIIB - Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank. But before she did so, she created wealth for her citizens and most importantly, constant electricity supply which some folks cannot provide after nearly 60 years of independence!

54 Likes 10 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by AgreatMan: 4:26am On Apr 06, 2019
sonature1:

Analysts argued that the position of World Bank head is traditionally meant for Americans while that of the IMF is for the Europeans. Well, other continents are just special observers grin

Indeed, coming from certain countries gives someone an automatic privilege others can only wish they could have.

Congratulations to new world Bank president

Okonjo is not the only qualified person for that role, stop getting emotional.

Besides, u don't just sit down n expect to get handed the world Bank president because u r brilliant n r a woman

As minister of d economy (not just finance), she oversaw d massive looting of our wealth that later plunged d country into recession. U really think d world is not watching?

Yes. Nigeria has a way of making brilliant people look dull but okonjo didn't do much to turn d tide. I guess blaming d system was easier for her.

US has is d world largest economy. The number of millionaires in US is more than d entire population of Norway n Sweden combined. So what if they produce both World Bank n IMF president?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by dollarsplenty(m): 4:28am On Apr 06, 2019
As usual, he is an American
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by Lastorator: 4:32am On Apr 06, 2019
Aw fa awa NOI ?
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by amiibaby(f): 5:16am On Apr 06, 2019
Nice one
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by sonature1: 5:24am On Apr 06, 2019
AgreatMan:

Besides, u don't just sit down n expect to get handed the world Bank president because u r brilliant n r a woman

As minister of d economy (not just finance), she oversaw d massive looting of our wealth that later plunged d country into recession. U really think d world is not watching?

Yes. Nigeria has a way of making brilliant people look dull but okonjo didn't do much to turn d tide. I guess blaming d system was easier for her.

US has is d world largest economy. The number of millionaires in US is more than d entire population of Norway n Sweden combined. So what if they produce both World Bank n IMF president?

Get off my mention, silly thing
My opinion is my business!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by Episteme2(m): 5:25am On Apr 06, 2019
AgreatMan:

This is where your hate gave you out. It got the better of you.
It's just international politics and the interest of larger world economies.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by Nobody: 5:28am On Apr 06, 2019
congrats malpass u really deserve this..... he already created a niche for himself in d finance industry and this was only a matter of time
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by RTSC: 5:39am On Apr 06, 2019
AgreatMan:

Shut up and take your afonja local politics to your village.

The reason she lost was not because she was not the most qualified.
That is not in question. She sits on the board of nearly 40 global companies, some of them with revenues bigger than Nigeria.

She lost due to international geo politics. Even malpass was reluctantly elected due to his controversial nature and shallow qualifications.

I am sure this is beyond your level, so don't bother.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by VcStunner(m): 5:45am On Apr 06, 2019
Hmmm
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by VcStunner(m): 5:52am On Apr 06, 2019
RTSC:

That is not in question. She sits on the board of nearly 40 global companies, some of them with revenues bigger than Nigeria.

She lost due to international geo politics. Even malpass was reluctantly elected due to his controversial nature and shallow qualifications.

damn...what a reply

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by NaijaFutbol: 5:54am On Apr 06, 2019
It was going to be Malpass all day
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by AgreatMan: 5:58am On Apr 06, 2019
sonature1:

Get off my mention, silly thing
My opinion is my business!

grin nobody care about your opinion. You lost that privilege when u came out to comment.

5 Likes

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by AgreatMan: 6:02am On Apr 06, 2019
RTSC:

Nigga, stop fooling around. Donald Trump's nominated the guy. Go n vent your frustrations on Buhari who didn't nominate Okonjogrin

Bunch of jokers. U think this is Fulani headsmen politics.
Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by RTSC: 6:03am On Apr 06, 2019
AgreatMan:

Nigga, stop fooling around. Donald Trump's nominated the guy, why didn't u ask Buhari to also nominate Okonjo
Buhari nomination would have zero effect.

When Jonathan nominated her as president, nothing happened.

This is not the African union.

3 Likes

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by Pekele007: 6:15am On Apr 06, 2019
AgreatMan:

Nigga, stop fooling around. Donald Trump's nominated the guy. Go n vent your frustrations on Buhari who didn't nominate Okonjogrin

Bunch of jokers. U think this is Fulani headsmen politics.

How can someone be confidently ignorant and stupid at the same time

Why turn this into a Yoruba - Igbo banter? Try and grow some sense.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank by dingbang(m): 6:15am On Apr 06, 2019
cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Anyone Caught Abusing The Naira Will Face Jail Terms’ – CBN Warns Nigerians / What Do Millionaires See That Others Don't? / Fuel Scarcity Hits Amuwo Odofin; NNPC Filling Station(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.