Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,775 members, 7,831,494 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

“I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? (46724 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Omudia11: 7:51am On Apr 08, 2019
On
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by agbaje123: 7:51am On Apr 08, 2019
i am inside the bus is more correct oo
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Topmaike007(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2019
I am at the bus... cheesy
book no go keel me grin
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by egojiokwu(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2019
I'm with the boz is correct.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Sanchez01: 7:51am On Apr 08, 2019
Prepositional confusion. 'On' is much more acceptable than 'in' in this regard.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Bogeyman007: 7:54am On Apr 08, 2019
More like Am in the Bed or On the Bed...

Both are right.. depends on context..

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Dreambeat: 7:54am On Apr 08, 2019
On the bus the the correct one
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by jboycrb(m): 7:55am On Apr 08, 2019
chukwunedum150:
The phrase 'on the bus' is
quite standard and normal. It
is much more commonly
used than 'in the bus'. The
use of 'on' does NOT imply
that the person is on the roof. Basically, if the
speaker is taking a long trip
by bus, that person is said to
be 'on the bus' during the
entire trip. When a person is
boarding a bus, we'd typically say the person is
getting 'on' a bus. (And at the end of the trip, it would
also be quite normal to say
that person is getting 'off' the bus.) The use of 'in the bus' is not
completely wrong, but it
would be limited to special
situations in which it is
essential to convey the idea
of 'inside' or 'within' explicitly. Basically, we use 'on' when
referring to general location
when using certain means of
transportation. For example: - He's on a bus/plane/train/ boat/motorcycle. BUT: - He's in a car/taxi.

Don't copy if you can't paste.

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by okewujude(m): 7:55am On Apr 08, 2019
English na ur language, any hw u speak am n ppl undastand u e don finish
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by slimdamatrix1(m): 7:55am On Apr 08, 2019
Op, both are correct, depending on the situation at hand.

You're welcome
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by freemi(m): 7:56am On Apr 08, 2019
femi4:
Both “in” and “on” could be correct in this sentence, but they carry different connotations. “I am on the bus” would be the much more common usage.

I am on the bus” would be used to describe the process of riding a bus as a method of transportation from one place to another. You might use this in a message to give someone an update of your status on the journey, for example, “I am on the bus home from the train station; I'll be there in fifteen minutes.”

“I am in the bus” might be used to describe your location, inside a bus rather than outside of it. You might use this in a message to a friend you were meeting at the bus station, to help them find you.
nice.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 7:56am On Apr 08, 2019
I dey inside bus, that way, everybody don understand!
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by IkpuMmadu: 7:56am On Apr 08, 2019
Education is gone

How can you be on the bus...are you load
I am in the bus. That is if you are inside .
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by BankyGee(m): 7:56am On Apr 08, 2019
I am in the bus. You can't be on the bus except you're literally on the bus.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Emily22(m): 7:57am On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

You are 'On' the bus when the bus is on the road moving.

You are 'In' the bus when it's yet to move.

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by madskills(m): 7:57am On Apr 08, 2019
is it your I am in the bus or your I am on tee he bus? Just leave me ayone
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by nwoye72: 7:58am On Apr 08, 2019
In
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Sultty(m): 7:58am On Apr 08, 2019
English is a scam. Let's adopt Yoruba as our common language cool
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by yassinattah(m): 8:00am On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

I disagree with this your explanation.
There are some London buses that have overhead sits on the top of the bus,Can u now say you are in the bus when the bus is yet to move.
Capital No
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Alienalert(m): 8:01am On Apr 08, 2019
Abeg Leave English for Akatas. All join.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Mikkystorm: 8:01am On Apr 08, 2019
Pfft, too many errors.
It's very simple. How did you guys even pass waec or neco? Gosh...
Simple "I am within the bus".
Nigerians...

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by FreemanUYB(m): 8:02am On Apr 08, 2019
I am in the bus ( while its still loading )

I am on the bus ( when it has loaded and its heading to fueling station)

I am at the bus ( when the conductor decides to start collecting money)

I am for the bus ( when the conductor start shouting for given him tier tier money)

English prof-: HAVARD SECONDARY SCHOOL oyigbo

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by chidooski565(m): 8:02am On Apr 08, 2019
from the prepositional rules it should be. IN THE BUS cuz on the bus mean that you are sitting on the bonnet

so learn

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by whizpa(m): 8:02am On Apr 08, 2019
Birniwa:
Unfortunately none of the replies above is correct, there's actually an English rule for this. When a vehicle has an ample space that can allow you to walk; like a train or bus; you use on because you're actually walking on the space to get to your seat.

For a vehicle like car where we don't get a space to walk or stand up, we use in because we're actually sitting in our seat.

I hope this helps.

This is actually correct. But there's also a theory that the first kind of buses had no roof, people had to climb 'on'. It would have been grammatically incorrect to say 'I'm climbing "into" a bus'.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by EmekaBlue(m): 8:03am On Apr 08, 2019
Im inside a bus
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by alabi484(m): 8:03am On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

Correct...100 over 100
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by sonature1: 8:04am On Apr 08, 2019
According to the native speakers, they are both correct.

The rule of thumb is that if u are in a big bus like Lagos BRT, you are ON a bus. However, if you are in a small bus like the yellow caravan (danfo), then u are IN a bus.

Please don't argue with me, Americans and the British have already had this argument on Wordreference.com

2 Likes

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by topuje(m): 8:04am On Apr 08, 2019
I disagree. If so why do you have to say "I am on bike", is bike not small too?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FABSA UNN Students Celebrate Old School Day In Style (photos/video) / Funny Pix Of Secondary School Relationships / See What A New NYSC Member Wrote About Herself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.