Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

“I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? (46767 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Nat404: 8:05am On Apr 08, 2019
"On the bus" is correct. Absolutely correct.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by OnyesomJ(m): 8:05am On Apr 08, 2019
Oga I Dey inside Bus!!

Shikina, Na 9ja you Dey no need Cracking your Brain Because you wan Speak English..

Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by yassinattah(m): 8:05am On Apr 08, 2019
IkpuMmadu:
Education is gone

How can you be on the bus...are you load
I am in the bus. That is if you are inside .
Its possible to be on the bus for example Red coloured London buses with overhead sits on top of the roof.
If you are sitting on the roof of such a bus,then you can now say 'I am on the bus'
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by kiltoko1(m): 8:08am On Apr 08, 2019
I dey inside bus... We will understand
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by chukwunedum150(m): 8:10am On Apr 08, 2019
jboycrb:

Don't copy if you can't paste.
how do u mean?
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by martineverest(m): 8:11am On Apr 08, 2019
topuje:
I disagree. If so why do you have to say "I am on bike", is bike not small too?
bike doesn't have enclosure
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by makemillions: 8:11am On Apr 08, 2019
I'm in the bus is correct.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by bropeee(m): 8:13am On Apr 08, 2019
falcon01:
well let me break it down for you, "In is used when you want to describe your current location" "on" is used when describing the Traveling.

You sabi book
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by frozen70(f): 8:13am On Apr 08, 2019
I am in the bus and the bus is on the road
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Neddyogu(m): 8:18am On Apr 08, 2019
He is under the bus! Oshee sense wee nor kee me. grin
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by ComedianzazaB(m): 8:22am On Apr 08, 2019
I dey inside motor is correct undecidedI
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by abuhusna1: 8:24am On Apr 08, 2019
I dey worry with this thing wella for Ireland here I dey I always hear 'I am on the bus' while in Nigeria where I come from I hear ' I am in the bus'.
As for me when u are in roman behave like Romans Na him I dey oo
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Super1212: 8:26am On Apr 08, 2019
Oh boy.... Who English help
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by abuhusna1: 8:26am On Apr 08, 2019
sweetrace:
On for larger vehicles and in for smaller ones. On a bus, train, ship, plane.... in a car, taxi, boat....
I think I want belief you �
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by sophiathefirst: 8:26am On Apr 08, 2019
falcon01:
well let me break it down for you, "In is used when you want to describe your current location" "on" is used when describing the Traveling.
You see English eeeh
We no dey follow the same part.
Is not straight forward.
This is how they said that " give her her book" is correct but to say, "give him him book" is incorrect cry
English! NAH. I no like am. There is no short cut to it. When u think u 've figured it out, that's where it's ambiguity starts.
Unlike mathematics or any science related subject, u can even invent ur own trick/formula and arrive at the answer.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Stormyweather(m): 8:27am On Apr 08, 2019
sweetrace:
On for larger vehicles and in for smaller ones. On a bus, train, ship, plane.... in a car, taxi, boat....
answered!

1 Like

Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by charlesm91(m): 8:28am On Apr 08, 2019
abbeyty:
on the bus is the correct answer but you cant say you are on the car. In the bus naija English, on the bus proper Emglish
for modes of transport, the use of "in" comes in play if it don't allow for easy movement. So using "on a car" would be inappropriate. "On" is used when the mode of transport allows for easy movements such as train, airplane, ship, etc.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by jcdera(m): 8:30am On Apr 08, 2019
chukwunedum150:
The phrase 'on the bus' is
quite standard and normal. It
is much more commonly
used than 'in the bus'. The
use of 'on' does NOT imply
that the person is on the roof. Basically, if the
speaker is taking a long trip
by bus, that person is said to
be 'on the bus' during the
entire trip. When a person is
boarding a bus, we'd typically say the person is
getting 'on' a bus. (And at the end of the trip, it would
also be quite normal to say
that person is getting 'off' the bus.) The use of 'in the bus' is not
completely wrong, but it
would be limited to special
situations in which it is
essential to convey the idea
of 'inside' or 'within' explicitly. Basically, we use 'on' when
referring to general location
when using certain means of
transportation. For example: - He's on a bus/plane/train/ boat/motorcycle. BUT: - He's in a car/taxi.
Finally something helpful
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by udemzyudex(m): 8:32am On Apr 08, 2019
English wahala too much.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by cosse(m): 8:33am On Apr 08, 2019
Birniwa:
Unfortunately none of the replies above is correct, there's actually an English rule for this. When a vehicle has an ample space that can allow you to walk; like a train or bus; you use on because you're actually walking on the space to get to your seat.

For a vehicle like car where we don't get a space to walk or stand up, we use in because we're actually sitting in our seat.

I hope this helps.
hmmm oga....bus diff from bus o...what of molue.....ample space dey that bulk of metal......and na bus too oo...........
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Emycord: 8:33am On Apr 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Hello? lemme know
well gramatically both are correct. but while the first is "first person singular" the second is the "second person plural. do not also forget that "the" is definite article. now it depends on the conversation or question you are responding to. eg
1) where are you? i'm on the bus (ie; towards the location of the questioneer)
2) (on phone) i can't hear you well, i'm in a bus
3 (panel beater) i'm on the bus (as in working right on top of the bus. your statement appears to be an incomplete sentence. alternatively you can go with i'm on the/my way
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Respect55(m): 8:35am On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

You are 'On' the bus when the bus is on the road moving.

You are 'In' the bus when it's yet to move.
God bless u
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by lomprico(m): 8:40am On Apr 08, 2019
Whobedatte:
I am at the bus
Correct
No o! na 'I am into the bus'

Very correct.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by lomprico(m): 8:41am On Apr 08, 2019
somez:
Noooo...

You are 'On' the bus when the bus is on the road moving.

You are 'In' the bus when it's yet to move.

Gbabeh!
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Wallade(m): 8:41am On Apr 08, 2019
Both of them are correct
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by ikdaddy01(m): 8:43am On Apr 08, 2019
Who e epp
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by 1Nation4all(m): 8:45am On Apr 08, 2019
What about "I am in a bus" is it correct?
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Unconquerable: 8:48am On Apr 08, 2019
Both correct: In the bus is where you are at the moment. On the bus is you’re heading somewhere.
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Danwakae(m): 8:50am On Apr 08, 2019
freemanbubble:
Let me zip my kunu as i read through

ABOKI NA , ITS SIP NOT ZIP

DU.ALLAH BANI DE KUNU ZAKI

LET ME ALSO SIP SOME, THESE PEOPLE ARE ALL CONFUSED WITH THIS FOREIGN LANG.

COMMON, I DE INSIDE BUSS, NA DEY HARD DEM.

THIS KUNU SWT OO, BABA NA
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by philosophie: 8:50am On Apr 08, 2019
bless1015:
My dear you can't be on the Bus except you are hanging on the Bus.once your inside the Bus it becomes in the Bus. you can't not be in the Bus and be saying on the Bus please it's disgusting.
it's also disgusting to say "can't not"
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by Praisesongz: 8:55am On Apr 08, 2019
I am from the bus
Re: “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? by zuto4u(m): 8:56am On Apr 08, 2019
The correct one is " I am on a bus" this is so because the bus is a public transport that carries a lot of people to their respective destinations. U can only use "in the bus" if the bus is your personal vehicle. And u can say "on the bus" when the public bus is specific and " on a bus" when the public bus is not specific.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emmanuel Arinze-Ifeajuna On Olympic Exercise 2B Book Back In The Days / Buhari Appoints Chancellors For 42 Federal Universities / School Register: Decades Back In Secondary School, Can You Relate?(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.