Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model (4243 Views)

I Need A Volvo XC90 / How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) / See How A Volvo Truck Is Controlled From Outside With An External Steering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by rexfada(m): 1:50am On Apr 12, 2019
Hello Nairalanders,
I plan on getting an SUV, esp a Volvo XC90 05/06 model. I need an advice from professionals and experienced users of the pros and cons of getting the car.
I want to know;
* the cost of using and maintaining the car
* how expensive and readily available are the parts
* what is the fuel economy of the car like
* how reliable is the car on Nigerian roads
* which of the variant (L5, T6, V8) is better to go for
* which other low budget SUVs can be substitutes for it.

CC: Nairaland car gurus
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by nurey(m): 11:13am On Apr 12, 2019
rexfada:
Hello Nairalanders,
I plan on getting an SUV, esp a Volvo XC90 05/06 model. I need an advice from professionals and experienced users of the pros and cons of getting the car.
I want to know;

This particular car is a very good car. stay far away from the T6 engine ones.

Nobody can answer question 1 even someone using the car can't it's subjective

some minute parts may be scarse to source but as long as you maintain it well you may not get to that stage

it's an SUV with a big tank, fuel economy is not synonymous with SUVs

reliability on naija road is a pass mark, it will do what others in its league can do in a luxurious fashion.

less fuel usage 5cylinder for power and speed 8cylinder

There are many substitutes to every product but why keep searching when you have found a rear gem

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:49pm On Apr 12, 2019
rexfada:
Hello Nairalanders,
I want to know;

its ok i guess. smiley as a non guru user

some parts aren't expensive. some are. like any other vehicle. but its generally on the affordable side. getting popular and prices are starting to go up......

familiarize yourself with Alhaji Amusa street in Ladipo sha. kazeems that can fix it are few and far between + i feel its always cheaper in Ladipo. parts are always available there.

fuel economy: you are looking at 15-17 MPG for lagos traffic driving. on free roads its very decent, and gets close to 30Mpg. did lagos to badagry and back with 20 litres ish bad roads/ bad traffic and all.

Learnt 5 cylinder is the best choice. learnt T6 engines are not advised. (don't quote me sha)

bit under-powered though. 0-60 is not quick, but when it gets moving, i'd advice you slow down grin
if you are looking for racing/power best buy the v8 3.2L engines (even those aren't likely to win races)

Maybe 02 - 03 Highlander. Xterra is a worse vehicle. Pathfinder is arguably worse in my opinion (and more expensive to maintain)
or maybe those Mitsubishi Montero them, i know nothing about those
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by rexfada(m): 2:28pm On Apr 12, 2019
4llerbuntu:

its ok i guess. smiley as a non guru user

some parts aren't expensive. some are. like any other vehicle. but its generally on the affordable side. getting popular and prices are starting to go up......

familiarize yourself with Alhaji Amusa street in Ladipo sha. kazeems that can fix it are few and far between + i feel its always cheaper in Ladipo. parts are always available there.

fuel economy: you are looking at 15-17 MPG for lagos traffic driving. on free roads its very decent, and gets close to 30Mpg. did lagos to badagry and back with 20 litres ish bad roads/ bad traffic and all.

Learnt 5 cylinder is the best choice. learnt T6 engines are not advised. (don't quote me sha)

bit under-powered though. 0-60 is not quick, but when it gets moving, i'd advice you slow down grin
if you are looking for racing/power best buy the v8 3.2L engines (even those aren't likely to win races)

Maybe 02 - 03 Highlander. Xterra is a worse vehicle. Pathfinder is arguably worse in my opinion (and more expensive to maintain)
Thanks for your input.
My options were Ford escape 05/06 or Mazda tribute 05/06 but my mechanic discouraged me from both options citing frequent engine faults, expensive and unavailability of parts as excuse. He advised I go for a corolla or Toyota matrix instead. But, I want to do something else besides a Toyota this time around.
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by rexfada(m): 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2019
nurey:

This particular car is a very good car. stay far away from the T6 engine ones.

Nobody can answer question 1 even someone using the car can't it's subjective

some minute parts may be scarse to source but as long as you maintain it well you may not get to that stage

it's an SUV with a big tank, fuel economy is not synonymous with SUVs

reliability on naija road is a pass mark, it will do what others in its league can do in a luxurious fashion.

less fuel usage 5cylinder for power and speed 8cylinder

There are many substitutes to every product but why keep searching when you have found a rear gem
Thanx man.
I read a review somewhere where a user advised against the T6 1.9L V6 variant. I guess I'll just settle for the L5 option.
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:05pm On Apr 12, 2019
rexfada:

Thanks for your input.
My options were Ford escape 05/06 or Mazda tribute 05/06 but my mechanic discouraged me from both options citing frequent engine faults, expensive and unavailability of parts as excuse. He advised I go for a corolla or Toyota matrix instead. But, I want to do something else besides a Toyota this time around.

Well, everybody is advised the same. Buy Corolla grin

Ultimately it's your choice. Depends on what you want.

Shine your eye and do your due diligence inspection before purchase which applies to any car I guess.

But I like mine sha.

Only thing is that like for any car that old, some parts are likely to require changing. 05 car is 14 years old .......

Oh and fully synthetic motor oil. Don't allow anyone confuse you into anything else.

Car manufacturer recommends 5w30. Or 10w30 for hot places or where it will see hard use.

Lagos is definitely hot and hard use. I started with 5w30 and changed to 10w30 and it was better for it.
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by valarinz: 12:16am On Apr 13, 2019
rexfada:

Thanx man.
I read a review somewhere where a user advised against the T6 1.9L V6 variant. I guess I'll just settle for the L5 option.

I wonder where you get these nomenclature sha, they don't exist.

T6 2.9l and T5 2.5l are what they have instead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by DatIgalaDude: 9:29am On Apr 13, 2019
valarinz:

Uncle Volvo, where have you been? I knew you would branch here.
You made me love the Volvo brand.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:31am On Apr 13, 2019
valarinz:

Me sef I was confused.
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by diportivo: 10:25am On Apr 13, 2019
4llerbuntu:

you obviously don't know anything about the nissan xterra
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:16pm On Apr 13, 2019
diportivo:

you obviously don't know anything about the nissan xterra

Lol

I have 3 people driving it around me at home and at work daily, in different stages of wear and tear. 1 Toks, 1 well maintained, 1 badly used.

I've seen it in its best and worst.

Well Sha, it will make for a great farm vehicle.

Other than that, it is worse in every way.

Driveability, looks, fuel consumption, comfort are nothing to write home about

1 Like

Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by diportivo: 3:44pm On Apr 13, 2019
4llerbuntu:

Lol

I have 3 people driving it around me at home and at work daily, in different stages of wear and tear. 1 Toks, 1 well maintained, 1 badly used.

I've seen it in its best and worst.

Well Sha, it will make for a great farm vehicle.

Other than that, it is worse in every way.

Driveability, looks, fuel consumption, comfort are nothing to write home about

a truck with a body on frame set up didn't mix with comfort

fuel consumption on mine is the bomb

it's a truck......its not supposed to be beautiful na

it has acceleration issues on the non supercharger version......once it enters it's stride it's does what it shld do tho

xterra does it for me anytime anyway

I will only pick the xc90 over the xterra cos of the third row seats

there's are things a rear live axle will do that an awd won't dare grin

1 Like

Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by valarinz: 11:48am On Apr 14, 2019
DatIgalaDude:

Uncle Volvo, where have you been? I knew you would branch here.
You made me love the Volvo brand.

Sorry sir, been more busy offline of late, I have something major coming up, if you need urgent help u can still reach me in my cell, tnx
Re: Advice On Getting A Volvo Xc90 05/06 Model by barcaboi(m): 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2021
@valarinz would you recommend this 2005 XC90? I have the option and I think I like it. Instead of getting naija used cars a cousin offered me this as tokunbo. And can it be used for Uber?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State VIO Changed The Process Of Road Worthiness Effective From 4th Jan / I Need An Audi Mechanic In Lagos Oh!!!!! / Make money weekly on Uber/Bolt Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.