Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,145 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) (2305 Views)

In 2040, You May Drive A Car That Looks Like This (Photos) / See How A Volvo Truck Is Controlled From Outside With An External Steering / Please Help, Volvo Car And Toyota Corolla Which Would You Go For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 4:32pm On Aug 25, 2019
@Naijadrivablog

[img]https://naijadriva.files./2019/08/127454142941516101633_xc7010050513__55915-2049150319.jpg?w=584[/img]

An Automatic transmission is a torque multiplication device that is attached to your vehicle’s engine, which enables your vehicle to shift gears automatically with little or no driver input.

Cars with automatic gear are easy to drive and takes little effort on the part of the driver, unlike manual gears. We have written about 5 things you should not do to cars with automatic gears and other issues like: not servicing gearbox oil at intervals – say, every 6months, using wrong fluids, bad mechanic, bad driving habits or others, can make your gear box go bad, sometimes, earlier than expected. “Age” too can call for a change of gear boxes too.

In most car brands, such as Toyota, Honda, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi, Opel and so on, once gears begin to fail, (like gear lever not shifting, gear staying too long on a particular gear, jerks, or the gear packing up outrightly) the only option you have is to replace your gearbox.

However, in Volvo cars with automatic gears, if your automatic transmission is bad, you can use your car for longer periods, say, up to five years or till you sell the car or change the gear. This is possible if you know how to “prime” the gear.

According to Cambridge dictionary, “Prime” is a verb which means to make sometime ready for use. If a faulty gear prevents your car to drive, make jerks as you engage gear, you can just prime the gear and you are good to go.

My friend drives a 2000 Volvo S40 2.0L (turbo) since 10yrs now and had this issue. I drive the car more than he does, so I know – he made me to like Volvos and I now know that Volvos are not bad as people paint it to be. After all, Volvo pioneered, amongst others, the three-point seat belt that all cars use today.

How To Prime Your Volvo Automatic Gear
In the video below, a Volvo S40 was used and it is applicable in other automatic transmission Volvo cars.

Let us assume you wanted to warm up your car in the morning and drive out or you have already driven your car to a place and you tried to engage the gear but you hear a jerk (and this would make the car not move well and it would consume more gas), the gears don’t engage well, just do the following steps to “prime” your gear and you are good to go.

1. Switch off the car and make sure your car gear lever is on “P”.
2. Hold the gear knob, while pressing the gear release button (in Volvo S40 used, it is in from of the gear lever as shown in the video)
[img]https://naijadriva.files./2019/08/8738575479_ebf96d8f92_z-469523195.jpg?w=584[/img]

3. Engage the gear lever from” P” to the last gear (in S40, the first is “P” and the last is “L”) three times consecutively as shown in the video (not too fast or too slow) and the third time, your gear lever should stop at ” P” where you started.
4. Start the car and engage the gear and it should drive fine. If it doesn’t, try it again.

Note: This tip doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t change your transmission if you can afford it but unlike other cars, you can use it longer before changing.

Also remember to continue to service (transmission fluid) the gear box at intervals.

Watch Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tRf2QVUyA

What do you think? Tell us.

Remember to “like” and “share”

Source: https://naijadriva./2019/08/25/how-to-prime-a-faulty-volvo-automatic-gear-video/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 4:37pm On Aug 25, 2019
cool cool

cc: lalasticlacla, Mynd44, marpol, Mukina2, fynestboi,

WATCH VIDEO HERE
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by Wigetsolar: 5:31pm On Aug 25, 2019
If Honda Baby Boy transmission fails eh, you must buy another or else, it sticks to one or two gears or packs up.

Their gear seem fragileundecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 6:40am On Aug 26, 2019
Wigetsolar:
If Honda Baby Boy transmission fails eh, you must buy another or else, it sticks to one or two gears or packs up.

Their gear seem fragileundecided

Automatic transmissions are abused by Nigerian drivers. Did you change its transmission fluid at intervals? We have used that same model of Honda Accord too.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by weyreypey: 6:47am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Automatic transmissions are abused by Nigerian drivers. Did you change its transmission fluid at intervals? We have used that same model of Honda Accord too.
. Honda babyboy has a very useless gear. Quit stereotyping Nigerian drivers. Learn more about cars
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 6:50am On Aug 26, 2019
weyreypey:

. Honda babyboy has a very useless gear. Quit stereotyping Nigerian drivers. Learn more about cars

We didn't exonerate the easily failing transmission of Honda "baby boy". The abuse part you can't also deny, the car notwithstanding.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by weyreypey: 6:52am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

We didn't exonerate the easily failing transmission of Honda "baby boy". The abuse part you can't also deny, the car notwithstanding.
Who are the "WE"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:05am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

I for one don't believe your write up about Volvo auto transmission priming. I am very technically inclined and I know quite a lot about Volvo from various encounters. You may get accolades for this write up from Volvo fans, and ignorant fellows, but from knowledgeable folks, you won't.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 7:07am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

I for one don't believe your write up about Volvo auto transmission priming. I am very technically inclined and I know quite a lot about Volvo from various encounters. You may get accolades for this write up from Volvo fans, and ignorant fellows, but from knowledgeable folks, you won't.

It is not just a write up. I made the video. I also drive a Volvo and has the best Volvo mechanic here.

It is written out of experience, not bandwagon hearsay.

Do you drive a Volvo or a Volvo mechanic, or what encounter do you have about the car? Tell us more Sir.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:09am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

It is not just a write up. I made the video. I also drive a Volvo and has the best Volvo mechanic here.

It is written out of experience, not bandwagon hearsay.

Why not try priming a Volvo XC90 t6 or Volvo S80 t6's transmission?
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 7:10am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

Why not try priming a Volvo XC90 t6 or Volvo S80 t6's transmission?
Have you tried it on a faulty Gear of an XC90 and it didn't work?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:11am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Have you tried it on a faulty Gear of an XC90 and it didn't work?
It won't work bro. Leave matter for Matthias.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 7:12am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

It won't work bro. Leave matter for Matthias.

Generalisation! I challenge you to try it on a faulty Volvo auto.

You can't sound authoritative on something you haven't tried.

Until you are humble to know that even if you are a good Toyota mechanic but you may be a Kazeem in Volvo, Mercedes or Rolls Royce, the better.

lalasticlacla, marpol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:18am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Generalisation. I challenge you to try it.

You can't sound authoritative on something you haven't tried.
Bros, if you have a bad selector cable or failing PRND switch you can run it thru so that maybe it will select. But if its a failed transmission (say trnamsission pump, solenoid, valve body, actuator, or clutch band) omor you're on your own.

The last time I checked, your Volvo were made by two companies, namely: AISIN WARNER Toyota owned, & GM's ford transmission. The former being the most supplier and they even supplied same for their own domestic vehicle and other vehicles and no such thing as transmission priming.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 7:25am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

Bros, if you have a bad selector cable or failing PRND switch you can run it thru so that maybe it will select. But if its a failed transmission (say trnamsission pump, solenoid, valve body, actuator, or clutch band) omor you're on your own.

The last time I checked, your Volvo were made by two companies, namely: AISIN WARNER Toyota owned, & GM's ford transmission. The former being the most supplier and they even supplied same for their own domestic vehicle and other vehicles and no such thing as transmission priming.

Your initial comments is skeptical about priming.

This comment (1st paragraph) "supports" priming

2nd paragraph dont. (Read our Note on the original post). Priming won't stop you from replacing the gearbox or bad parts in the gearbox as you stated.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:29am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Your initial comments is skeptical about priming.

This comment (1st paragraph) "supports" priming

2nd paragraph dont. (Read our Note on the original post). Priming won't stop you from replacing the gearbox or bad parts in the gearbox as you stated.

Bros, no teach me nonsense. Even in the internet, you can't find anywhere that it is stated that you prime ANY transmission. As for my first comment, I put it there to show you that those component which may become misaligned can be realigned by running the shifter thru the transmission gates. I repeat no such thing as priming.

CC: Kashif, Gazzuzz, nurey, oluwaseunola come chook mouth inside this.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by Wigetsolar: 7:33am On Aug 26, 2019
weyreypey:

I tire for Honda accord auto drive. E sabi fail sha. I believe they have improved in latest models but I no de Honda lane again.

2 Likes

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by naijadrivablog: 7:37am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

Bros, no teach me nonsense. Even in the internet, you can't find anywhere that it is stated that you prime ANY transmission. As for my first comment, I put it there to show you that those component which may become misaligned can be realigned by running the shifter thru the transmission gates. I repeat no such thing as priming.

Is it the term that is now the problem? You have seen the video, please suggest another name for it. Thanks.

I also need good Volvo mechanics to make input (not Kazeems) or if you also experienced Volvo cars.

If you drive a Volvo and live in Abuja, contact Abila (A Kaduna boy) at "London Line", APO Mechanic Village. He is one of the best, if not the best. Funny enough, he is not on Nairaland undecided
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:39am On Aug 26, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Is it the term that is now the problem? You have seen the video, please suggest another name for it. Thanks. I also need good Volvo mechanics to make input (not Kazeems).

I didn't bother watching any video as I am sure its a fallacy of a video.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by nurey(m): 7:44am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

the guy say he prime am, you say he no prime am, is it your prime?

pompous mechanic grin

4 Likes

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by kingreign(m): 7:45am On Aug 26, 2019
nurey:

pompous mechanic grin

shocked grin grin grin
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:59am On Aug 26, 2019
nurey:

pompous mechanic grin

very pompous one

1 Like

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by jceesquare(m): 8:27am On Aug 26, 2019
Valarinz what says thou?

1 Like

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by valarinz: 8:50am On Aug 26, 2019
jceesquare:
Valarinz what says thou?

I'm trying to understand what went wrong with the gear initially to warrant shifting gearstick positions to fix.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:50am On Aug 26, 2019
valarinz:

I'm trying to understand what went wrong

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by valarinz: 8:53am On Aug 26, 2019
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=81615841][/quote]

Wetin u dey look oga
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:00am On Aug 26, 2019
valarinz:

Wetin u dey look oga

uncle just leave me i de wait Una

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by AshipaEk0: 9:15am On Aug 26, 2019
kingreign:

shocked grin grin grin

Come backyard, your people don dey miss you since.

seriously, come back your fans dey find you

leave this free walkover Arena.
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by valarinz: 9:39am On Aug 26, 2019
AshipaEk0:

Come backyard, your people don dey miss you since.

seriously, come back your fans dey find you

leave this free walkover Arena.

So we can have Volvo vs toyota/lexus part 2 abi

1 Like

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by dannybrasky(m): 9:45am On Aug 26, 2019
Which kind wahala be this on a Monday morning? grin
Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:47am On Aug 26, 2019
dannybrasky:
Which kind wahala be this on a Monday morning? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) by AshipaEk0: 10:12am On Aug 26, 2019
valarinz:

So we can have Volvo vs toyota/lexus part 2 abi

Naaah. No more.

@kingreign we don repent. no more of that grin

seriously. if you see the way some people dey miss you ehn. Biko come back

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help:my Honda 1999 Jerk Forward Pretty Rough Before It Will Enter The 2ND Gear / The Right Gauge Of Engine Oil In Vehicles. / Honeywell Synlube 5W40 Synthetic Engine Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.