Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi (11263 Views)

Easter: Bishop Ezeokafor Gifts Bags Of Rice, Others To Over 300 People / Father Charles Okeke-Odogwu Found Dead In His Car In Anambra (Photos) / Prophet Nyekachi Elechi "Invokes Fire", As He Delivers Members From Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2019
Bishop of Nnewi Catholic Diocese, Anambra State, Most Rev Hilary Okeke, has barred Catholics from taking chieftaincy title.

The bishop spoke in his Easter message, at the Assumption Cathedral, yesterday, with the theme: “New way of life with Jesus Christ risen from the dead.”

He condemned Christians who took the chieftaincy titles that still have idolatrous practices, connections and traditional festivals connected with idols, and vowed that his diocese will never allow that among his members.

Insisting he will not encourage any Catholic to take a chieftaincy title, he said ”unless, they do it according to the standard acceptable to the church, devoid of idolatry.”

Bishop Okeke also threathened to sanction any member who turns the Easter feast into an idolatrous celebration.

He regretted that some church members callthemselves Christians, but, also, joined in traditional practices that were connected with idols, false gods and goddesses in the name of their belief in the Igbo culture.

Okeke regretted that such members are ready to abandon true Christianity to be faithful to the Igbo culture, customs and traditions without regard to those practices attached to deity.

“Sad to say, some Christians throw away their baptismal names. Some people publicly demonstrate their way of life as Christians, but, privately and secretly send people to carry out for them the idolatrous activities attached to their customary and traditional practices.

In a special way, we must keep ourselves completely away from evil ways and, especially, from idolatry as St Paul warned,” the Bishop said.

He mentioned eight deities in Igbo land, including Idemili, Ogwugwu, Ulasi, Agwu, Akwu, Ala, Edo and Ofala, which he declared as idols, and warned true Christians to steer clear of them and anything linked to them.

On the insecurity in Nigeria, he said government should rise to the occasion to stop all manner of killings across the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sunnewsonline.com/easter-bishop-bars-members-from-chieftaincy-titles-in-nnewi/amp/

6 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by Harrymig1(m): 11:00am On Apr 16, 2019
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 11:02am On Apr 16, 2019
Harrymig1:
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness
Why Do You Say That Bro
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by Amuocha: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2019
Amazing

"He mentioned eight deities in Igbo land, including Idemili, Ogwugwu, Ulasi, Agwu, Akwu, Ala, Edo and Ofala, which he declared as idols, and warned true Christians to steer clear of them and anything linked to them" shocked

- in SW, this does not hold...you can be a pastor and lie, you can still take pastoral role with Sango altogether grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by ikombe: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2019
If you are a Bishop, then be a bishop and leave titles for others angry

Contact me for your gym equipment wink

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by IMASTEX: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2019
No comment
Harrymig1:
Hope same can be quoted when it comes to collecting offerings & tithes from them. Or when been treated by same people who are physicians, etc

6 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by efdft766: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2019
fyt

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by kingsfire: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2019
To me "Bishop" is also a title.
How would you take up a western title and ban me from taking a title as old as the land I live in?
Black man! lipsrsealed

11 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by tstx(m): 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2019
Promoting the White Mans Culture at the expense of Yours

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature

5 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by tstx(m): 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2019
Promoting the White Mans Culture at the expense of Yours

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by ClearFlair: 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2019
When is Ipob starting Otoge Cameroon? cheesy
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by johnmba: 3:12pm On Apr 16, 2019
Strong word his lordship
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by OMANBALA1: 3:12pm On Apr 16, 2019
If a Bishop say that to my face I will probably slap his ignorant mind out of his head. Imagine an iidiot that worships white jesus and mary statues. Africans are ffucking blind!

11 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by frozen70(f): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
Most of these chieftancy titles are for matured men who seeks to get prestige and recognition

Now what will happen to those who already gotten theirs and are still members of the same cathedral ❓

Anyway, there is always solutions to any thing

They can get the titles and still go to church but may not be receiving holy communion

But I know that this won't go down well the chiefs, nze na ozor's, ogbuefi's
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by BlackfireX: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
See religion see confusion....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by lastempero: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
Good one bishop, choose ya the god you will serve and not one leg in the church and the other one at the native doctor's house.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
He spewed outright bunkum.
One's identity can be retained as a Christian too.
What the hell is some people throw away their baptismal names? The so-called baptismal names are other people's cultural names.
This is what you get when you can't separate Christianity - the way of life of Christ from obeying religious doctrines.

These have nothing to do with Christ.
Let bishop not lose focus of the Christ he is to preach about

3 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by frozen70(f): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
Most of these chieftancy titles are for matured men who seeks to get prestige and recognition

Now what will happen to those who already gotten theirs and are still members of the same cathedral ❓

Anyway, there is always solutions to any thing

They can get the titles and still go to church but may not be receiving holy communion

But I know that this won't go down well with the chiefs, nze na ozor's and the ogbuefi's
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by bleepmate(m): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
wots d time for BARCELONA VS UNITED MATCH?
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by Lilimax(f): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2019
Good!
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.\
Light and darkness has nothing in common.

Some will tell you that they want to become Ozo Maria? Nothing like that abeg!

Refrain from Chieftain if you're a real child of God.

Let God make you king.
#Chimeremeze
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by webgenius234(m): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2019
well said ib will say...

Telecom Industry is stocked with billions of funds available for everyone to tap from. The choice is yours. Join now and learn how you can make money from the telecom Industry.....������

https:///GkNBlXygXNj5xmB5jVfF8a
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by uzo4real(m): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2019
Idemili.....My Local Government
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by helinues: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2019
Only in Nnewi
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by magicminister: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2019
There’s nothing wrong with chieftancy title. #Africanculturematters

2 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2019
This man shouldn't bring Protestant doctrines into the Catholic Church.

The Vatican does not ban members from observing their tradition. Why then would an indigenous bishop be more Catholic than the Pope??

1 Like

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by bobkezel(m): 3:29pm On Apr 16, 2019
Bishop ndị ara.

2 Likes

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by Ijaycool(f): 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2019
InyinyaAgbaOku:
He spewed outright bunkum.
One's identity can be retained as a Christian too.
What the hell is some people throw away their baptismal names? The so-called baptismal names are other people's cultural names.
This is what you get when you can't separate Christianity - the way of life of Christ from obeying religious doctrines.

These have nothing to do with Christ.
Let bishop not lose focus of the Christ he is to preach about

Read - NO
Read - NO
Read - No I won't read.

Now see your stupidity in the public arena?

Did you see this part of the quote?

He condemned Christians who took the chieftaincy titles that still have idolatrous practices, connections and traditional festivals connected with idols, and vowed that his diocese will never allow that among his members.

Insisting he will not encourage any Catholic to take a chieftaincy title, he said ”unless, they do it according to the standard acceptable to the church, devoid of idolatry.”

Bishop Okeke also threathened to sanction any member who turns the Easter feast into an idolatrous celebration.

Emphasis on the bolded

1 Like

Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by enemyofprogress: 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2019
This bishop dey look for trouble, e be like sey him no know sey Igbo man and chieftaincy titles are like bread and butter
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by Wigetsolar: 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2019
Eziokwu, will they agree?
Re: Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi by enemyofprogress: 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2019
bleepmate:
wots d time for BARCELONA VS UNITED MATCH?
10PM

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mother Of Us All / 10 Biblical Truths To Combat Temptation Of Lying As A Christian / Time To Laugh - Post Your Funny Religion Memes, Quotes E.t.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.