Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,618 members, 7,770,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:26 PM

Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed (14579 Views)

I Caught My Husband Red - Handed With My Friend - Wife / Check Out My Son @1 / Female Bank Manager Caught Red Handed By Husband In Bed With Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by llade(m): 3:37pm On Sep 15, 2010
My son is now 17months old and I observe that he always prefers picking things with his left hand even when eating. Also, when I try to give him something he stretches out the left hand first. In addition, when handling things, he has firmer grip with his left hand than his right hand. I dont know if he is left handed cos he is ma first child and please if he is how do I make him right handed.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by zayhal(f): 4:17pm On Sep 15, 2010
If you find out that he's really left-handed, please do not force him to change it as this would mean disrupting his physiological make-up. Handedness has to do with the brain. If you know about the left and right hemisphere of the brain and how they function, it'll help you understand better why some people are left-handed and some right-handed.

If your child is left-handed, it means his hand coordination(among other things) is being processed in the right hemisphere of his brain so if you force him to use the right hand, he won't do well at all and it may even affect his level of intelligence because of the hand-brain coordination that is being altered.

To know more about how the brain controls handedness and like issues, read more about it.

Goodluck with your son.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by BoredAtWor: 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2010
llade:

My son is now 17months old and I observe that he always prefers picking things with his left hand even when eating. Also, when I try to give him something he stretches out the left hand first. In addition, when handling things, he has firmer grip with his left hand than his right hand. I dont know if he is left handed cos he is ma first child and please if he is how do I make him right handed.

MAY I ASK WHY YOU WANT TO MAKE HIM RIGHT HANDED

1 Like

Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by googles: 4:20pm On Sep 15, 2010
I suggest you let nature take its course. . . left handedness is not a form of deformation

Some researchers claim that left handed people are more intelligent and eloquent than their right-handed counterparts. In tests conducted by Dr. Alan Searleman from St Lawrence University in New York, he found that left-handers can be considerably more intellectually gifted.

There were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people - which is the "genius" bracket. This is perhaps why there are more "lefties" in creative professions - such as music, art and writing - and more left-handed astronauts and leaders than would be expected.

Rather than see it as a form of handicap why not leave it be. . . .there's nothing right handed pple do that lefties can't.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by BoredAtWor: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2010
Some of the greatest people and leaders of this world are left handed.

Alot of people grew up and were beaten to use their right hand when they try to use their left.
Soem thing about useing the left is evil or something.

Please its not
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Ibomade1: 4:23pm On Sep 15, 2010
^^ For example Obama writes with his left hand.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by denzel2009: 4:23pm On Sep 15, 2010
Dont even attempt to correct anything. Does it make any difference using right hand?

I even have a cousin who eats amala/eba with her left hand and she is over 30.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by zayhal(f): 4:32pm On Sep 15, 2010
Ibo-made:

@Poster my little niece is the same. She holds the spoon with her left hand, slaps her older brother with left hand and writes with it. My brother was becoming anxious about it and he is always correcting her. He took her to a child psychologist and the Dr said correcting her could affect her Aesthetics    whatever that means   

He guy no listen and now she writes and eat with her right hand and she is fine. Aesthetics or no Aesthetics.

Its all a matter of choice

Believe me, forcing a left handed child to use the right hand and vice versa will hinder the child from reaching her full potentials.

There's  nothing wrong in using either hand to do things. My brother is also left handed but my dad encouraged him to eat and collect things from people with the right hand. He does these two things with the right hand but all others with the left.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by redsky1: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2010
so there are still people like this in 2010, and we wonder why we don't progress.

left or right what is the difference - is your son not a human being.
undecided
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 15, 2010
There really is nothing wrong with being left handed but if it really bothers you, you could encourage your son to write and eat with the right hand whilst doing other things with the left.
You musn't be forceful when doing this else you would damage his psyche and lower his self esteem.
And believe me that is more damaging to your son than the left handedness you are complaining of.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Jezzybrown(m): 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2010
i dont think forceing him do things with his with right hand is going to affect him in anyway because at the age of fifteen due to an accident i was forced to start using my left hand until my right hand was better now i can use both hands very well, my handwriting is exactly the same with both hands and i am physiologically normal like anybody else
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by MrsSiena1(f): 6:52pm On Sep 15, 2010
My dear, God who created the right hand also created the left. Your son is still young. Please allow him to use whichever hand he chooses. From what I gather left-handed people are very intelligent.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by luap: 7:53pm On Sep 15, 2010
look at all the athletes, and how they train. It is all about consistency. Consistently being one hand or the other. It is better to be strong in one hand than mediocre in both. You might have a future Tiger Woods. He is one handed and practices to get better in one hand. So please let the child be his best at his natural way.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Dizzy001(m): 9:27pm On Sep 15, 2010
the best is not to force the child leave them alone to write the way they want if, you start teaching/forcing them another way they will get confused and wont want to write or use any, and someone told me it affects their brain undecided
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by deniyor: 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2010
Don't change his left-handedness just to conform to society. It negatively affects the brain potential and pysche.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by toaspromo(m): 2:15am On Sep 16, 2010
it is quite natural if you want to correct that it would take you serious action and time however you should try and encourage him to use his right hand and this has not to be done in harsh way he may comply it is a matter of time
advice him not eat with left hand and wash his bum with right after poopuh in the rest room
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 16, 2010
God created right and left hand, our culture just makes us so wack sometimes. my brother is left handed and one of the most intelligent person i know, Angelina Jolie, Kate Hudson and Barrack Oboma are some left handed people. Please let the child be the way he was created dont mess with the Designer's Product (Gods product), if you do, there are usually serious consequencies. being left handed is not a sin or deforminty
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Outstrip(f): 6:27am On Sep 16, 2010
Na wa. Taking a child to a psychologist because she is left handed. Poor child. When the parent should be checking himself into the psych unit he is trying to blame it on the innocent child
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by llade(m): 9:09am On Sep 16, 2010
Thanks to u all. All I pray is for the will of God to prevail.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by hakunajay(m): 9:25am On Sep 16, 2010
How do you make your baby right-handed? I suggest you cut off the left hand and ask him to pick it up with his right hand. This is the begining of his right-handedness! And who says there's anything wrong with being a south paw? Start investing and planning for his future instead of trying to change the course of nature! Dont even bother to thank me!
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by no1madman(m): 9:59am On Sep 16, 2010
Take him 2 a Mechanic.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by oisehumen(m): 10:05am On Sep 16, 2010
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a child using his or her left hand.
Let your child be please.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by babyme1(f): 3:52pm On Sep 16, 2010
Jezzybrown:

i dont think forceing him do things with his with right hand is going to affect him in anyway because at the age of fifteen due to an accident i was forced to start using my left hand until my right hand was better now i can use both hands very well, my handwriting is exactly the same with both hands and i am physiologically normal like anybody else

Are u sure undecided

@Post pls let your baby be,there is nothing wrong with being left handed. I remember trying to force myself to use my left when i was much younger bc to me it was cool. I ended up dizzy most of the time cheesy
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by omofat: 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2010
Leonardo da Vinci
Raphael Nadal
Bill Clinton
Barack Obama
Robert De Niro
Morgan Freeman
Whoopi Goldberg
Julia Roberts
Albert Einstein
Napoleon Bonaparte
Julius Caesar
Aristotle
Neil Amstrong
Winston Churchill
Diego Maradona
John McEnroe
Pele
Mark Williams
Angelina Jolie
Oprah Winfrey
Ross Perot

And lots more grin

1 Like

Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 16, 2010
fashola

Umaru musa Yarudua (Former president)

Barack Obama
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Akwasi(m): 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2010
omo~fat:

Leonardo da Vinci
Raphael Nadal
Bill Clinton
Barack Obama
Robert De Niro
Morgan Freeman
Whoopi Goldberg
Julia Roberts
Albert Einstein
Napoleon Bonaparte
Julius Caesar
Aristotle

Neil Amstrong
Winston Churchill
Diego Maradona

John McEnroe
Pele?
Mark Williams
Angelina Jolie
Oprah Winfrey
Ross Perot

And lots more grin

That sums it all. Thank You God that my daughter is lefthanded grin
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by Middleman: 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2010
zayhal:

If you find out that he's really left-handed, please do not force him to change it as this would mean disrupting his physiological make-up. Handedness has to do with the brain. If you know about the left and right hemisphere of the brain and how they function, it'll help you understand better why some people are left-handed and some right-handed.

If your child is left-handed, it means his hand coordination(among other things) is being processed in the right hemisphere of his brain so if you force him to use the right hand, he won't do well at all and it may even affect his level of intelligence because of the hand-brain coordination that is being altered.

To know more about how the brain controls handedness and like issues, read more about it.

Goodluck with your son.

had a tear drop when i saw this cuz this is exactly what happened to my immediate younger sister, although she uses right now she isnt where she is meant to be in terms of intellectual capability, she had it really rough during her primary school years but now she is fully a righty without any issues. but i dont think its worth it.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by spikedcylinder: 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2010
I think I quite understand the OP to some extent. In some cultures, they see left handed children as some sort of taboo or freaks of nature and the OP probably belongs to one of those cultures.
However, OP, I hope with time you get to understand that left handedness is not a deformity of any sort.
Your culture did not impregnate you please, leave your child be.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by aydoth(m): 5:49pm On Sep 16, 2010
The best way of making him right-handed is to simply cut off the left hand
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by kingwills(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2010
you dont need to bother yourself much on this, because whether left handed or right handed all na the same.
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by bash4us(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2010
OLODO NI E. DONT U KNW DT MOST PROMINENT MEN IN D SOCIETY ARE LEFT-HANDED. MYSELF INCLUSIVE!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed by NaijaSisi(f): 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2010
bash4us:

OLODO NI E. DONT U KNW DT MOST PROMINENT MEN IN D SOCIETY ARE LEFT-HANDED. MYSELF INCLUSIVE!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin

Whether left or right-handed, he is still ur son, so i advice u focus on the more important stuff in his development e.g. his reading and writing rather than trying to recreate or amend the way God created him in the first place.

Please leave him be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Some Funny Things You Did As A Child / Nairaland Christmas Giveaway 2018 Awareness Thread / Abortion: Murder Or A Means Of Birth Control?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.