Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

What Is A God? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is A God? (5533 Views)

What Makes God A God? / "I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola / Could You Give Me One Piece Of Significant Evidence Of A God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is A God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:54pm On Jul 25, 2017
johnydon22:

What does it mean to deify something or someone?

The orthodox definition of a God is an entity that controls the totality or part of reality(god) . But through out history man has conferred godhood or deified entities that do not control the totality or part of reality . So deifying an entity is now personal , each having his own reason as to why an entity is deified .

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is A God? by johnydon22(m): 6:12am On Jul 26, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

The orthodox definition of a God is an entity that controls the totality or part of reality(god) . But through out history man has conferred godhood or deified entities that do not control the totality or part of reality . So deifying an entity is now personal , each having his own reason as to why an entity is deified .

Brother the question is: what is deification?
Re: What Is A God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:24am On Jul 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Brother the question is: what is deification?
Conferring upon an entity the status of godhood
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 5:05pm On Jul 26, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Conferring upon an entity the status of godhood

Q. And what is Godhood?

A. A deified entity
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 5:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You've just hit on something here for the first time since we have been discussing this Godhood thing.

Basically God is a personification of Authority?

You are a God to the extent that you can exercise control over something.

So the Judges in ancient Israel were recognised as Gods.

6I said, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you;
7nevertheless, like men you shall die,
and fall like any prince.”

Psalm 82

It follows that even in your own bedroom you are, to some extent or the other, a god.

1 Like

Re: What Is A God? by 0temAtum: 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2017
nuclearboy:
@Vesc:

Aliens too?

5 naira, 15 naira, 200 naira, 1 dollar, a bag of cowries, my bathroom slippers, the breeze blowig right now - all na god then depending on the viewer!

So whats new?
This is golden. So before I even realised my godhood, some guys have realised it far far ahead of me in this Naija However, my mission on earth is to let everyone know that the gods should not be worshipped.
Re: What Is A God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:57pm On Jul 26, 2017
PastorAIO:

You've just hit on something here for the first time since we have been discussing this Godhood thing.

Basically God is a personification of Authority?

One of the many reasons .

You are a God to the extent that you can exercise control over something.

Its what it is supposed to be . But there are religions which have entities that have no control over anything and they are gods or do have control over something and they are not gods. Example

In Collyridianism, Mary is worshiped as a goddess simply because she is the mother of Christ; in Confuscianism, ancestral spirits control the fortune of the descendents but they are not deified .

That's why I said God is just a title given to any entity for different reasons , there are no generally accepted reasons

So the Judges in ancient Israel were recognised as Gods.

6I said, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you;
7nevertheless, like men you shall die,
and fall like any prince.”

Psalm 82

It follows that even in your own bedroom you are, to some extent or the other, a god.

Judges , Kings, rulers who have power over the people are seen as gods in the bible . And don't forget, an object of worship or veneration isn't necessarily a god .

In the Juche , the Supreme Leader of North Korea is worshiped and venerated. In Catholicism, Mary is worshiped and venerated. Popular lesbian seductress Natalie Barney worships her targets as a way of seducing them but she does not deify them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is A God? by Kay17: 10:51pm On Aug 02, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

One of the many reasons .

Its what it is supposed to be . But there are religions which have entities that have no control over anything and they are gods or do have control over something and they are not gods. Example

In Collyridianism, Mary is worshiped as a goddess simply because she is the mother of Christ; in Confuscianism, ancestral spirits control the fortune of the descendents but they are not deified .

That's why I said God is just a title given to any entity for different reasons , there are no generally accepted reasons

Judges , Kings, rulers who have power over the people are seen as gods in the bible . And don't forget, an object of worship or veneration isn't necessarily a god .

In the Juche , the Supreme Leader of North Korea is worshiped and venerated. In Catholicism, Mary is worshiped and venerated. Popular lesbian seductress Natalie Barney worships her targets as a way of seducing them but she does not deify them.

To an extent you seem to concede to Ayo's new inquiry that Godhood is an endowment which can be gained and lost. Also entities can be Gods based on their relative degree of control

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is A God? by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 03, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Popular lesbian seductress Natalie Barney worships her targets as a way of seducing them but she does not deify them.

Brother Ekuba. How did you come by this knowledge of a lesbian seductress grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is A God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:15am On Aug 03, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Brother Ekuba. How did you come by this knowledge of a lesbian seductress

grin grin hehe my brother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Did You Spend Your Christmas / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment! / Dedicate Yourself To Satan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.