Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,262 members, 7,818,890 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues (36010 Views)

Ronaldo Becomes First Juventus Player To Score In Nine Straight League Games / Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes Joker In Halloween Costume (Photos) / Ronaldo Becomes The First Player To Score 400 Goals Across The Top 5 Leagues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by ahmedkoded95(m): 12:49am On Apr 21, 2019
Cristiano Ronaldo has done it again! Different country, same result: a domestic title for the Portuguese superstar.

With Juventus having clinched the Scudetto with a 2-1 win over Fiorentina on Saturday, Ronaldo has become the first man to win Europe’s three major leagues: Serie A, La Liga and the Premier League.

The significance of this latest success will, of course, be debated. Firstly, it has arrived just four days after a demoralising Champions League elimination at the hands of a far more exciting but far less expensively assembled Ajax side.

In addition, this is Juve’s eighth consecutive Scudetto, won with fivegames to spare. At no point did it look like they wouldn’t retain their crown.

They were heavy favourites even before they signed Ronaldo from Madrid last summer. The arrival of the five-time Ballon d’Or winner merely made the probable inevitable.

Indeed, Antonio Cassano even claimed Ronaldo’s signing had secured the Scudetto until 2022, when the forward’s Juve contract is due to expire.
Ronaldo, though, felt he should be commended for broadening his horizons once again, even using his latest transfer as an opportunity to take a shot at his great rival, Lionel Messi, who looks increasingly likely to spend his entire career at Barcelona.

“I’ve played in England, Spain, Italy, Portugal and for my national team, while he’s still in Spain,” said Ronaldo.

“Maybe he needs me more. For me, life is a challenge. I like it and I like to make people happy.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic wasn’t, though.

The Swedish striker – who has won titles in four countries (Netherlands, Italy, Spain and France) – took umbrage with the idea that Ronaldo’s Madrid departure was motivated by a desire to test himself in another league.

“Ronaldo talks about challenges but he decided to go to a club who have been winning the Serie A title with their eyes closed!” Ibra legitimately pointed out.

“Why did he not choose a club from a second division a few years ago? Try to become a champion with such a second-division [club] and lead them to the highest level.

“Moving to Juventus is not a challenge at all.”

Certainly, this season’s Serie A success wasn’t in the least bit taxing – either for Ronaldo or Juve.

They have been the outright leaders from match day two, winning 16 of their opening 17 fixtures to put the title race to bed by Christmas.

Indeed, their haul of 53 points from a possible 58 represented a new record for the halfway point of a Serie A season.

What’s more, Juve haven’t even played particularly well. They have been in cruise control for most of the campaign, playing effective but uninspired football, winning just five games by three goals or more.

It has been a sterile dominance. They have been nowhere near their best because they haven’t had to be.
They managed to beat Inter and Milan at home, and Napoli away, despite performing poorly. That’s how poor the level of competition has been for them.

Ronaldo has been predictably effective, with 19 goals, but he is only fourth in the Capocannoniere standings, three strikes behind 36-year-old top scorer Fabio Quagliarella, who is likely to be named player of the season for being the story of the season.

The 19-year-old Moise Kean, meanwhile, has arguably been the revelation of Juve’s campaign, not least because it’s hard to think of anyone else who has surpassed expectations.

Giorgio Chiellini has been his characteristically consistent self, and was sorely missed in the decisive Champions League quarter-final second leg against Ajax, while Wojciech Szczesny has proven a reliable replacement for Gianluigi Buffon.

The rest of their team-mates, though, have sparkled only occasionally.

Mario Mandzukic was a monster during the first half of the season but has faded since the turn of the year, while Paulo Dybala has played only in fits and starts and is no longer a guaranteed starter.

It’s not as if they were saving themselves for Europe either – Juve turned in only two impressive performances in the Champions League before being dumped out by Ajax: the 1-0 win at Manchester United in the group stages; and the exhilarating 3-0 second-leg victory over Atletico Madrid in the last 16.

Ronaldo was, of course, the star of the show that night in Turin and, in truth, it is at that level that the true value of his transfer will be determined.

Just like Neymar, he left Spain to play for a team where domestic titles are taken for granted. Both moves will be ultimately judged on results in Europe.

Becoming the first man to win a league in a third different country is undoubtedly a commendable achievement for Ronaldo – it demonstrates versatility and a willingness to experience a new club, new team-mates and a new environment – but, given Serie A’s painful lack of competition, it does little to strengthen Ronaldo’s claim on the title of the greatest of all time.

Winning the Champions League with a third different team – one that hasn’t lifted the European Cup since 1996 – well, that is the real challenge.

Pass that particular test and Ronaldo’s case to be considered the greatest will be compelling. Unlike Serie A, though, it’s not going to be easy.

https://www.today.ng/sport/football/cristiano-ronaldo-player-win-three-major-leagues-214422/amp?__twitter_impression=true

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by MufasaRebirth: 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
Congratulations, he joined Juventus and they won the league after 17 years drought....

C' Ronaldo is the real GOAT grin

99 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by osemoses1234(m): 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
Real ewu like for Ronaldo share for messi

217 Likes 64 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
The real GOAT. The other short one is doing IT

Meanwhile, get a Blog designed for you
-Learn how to get 5k plus daily traffic
-Run Advert on your blog

Send a message to 08039336991 (WhatsApp ONLY) All for #2000 only

12 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Anigreat: 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
shocked

Nothing to celebrate about this rapist, I got no iota respect for this rapist.

Let men like Lionel Messi make noise on football and not this useless ball tapping opportunistic idiot.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Damidave1124(m): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
Congrats to the assistant GOAT

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by FergieRaww(m): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
Super CR7

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by AngelHoly(m): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
So wetin come happen

Na league him come there to carry
See as small boys jst finish his career on Tuesday

Him come get mind to boost of odinary seria A

So make we fry water naa

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by crazyABO(m): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2019
Something messi cant angry everything he ever achieved was in BARCELONA cry

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Hycon(m): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2019
I really like you Ronaldo but if it is all about testing you can move to a team like Inter or Chievo for Italy or maybe Enyimba FC

Juventus na baba for their league before

13 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by helinues: 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
Hard work pays indeed

Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't born as a talented players like Lionel Messi but if you watch his documentaries, you just have to give it to CR. Patrice Evra also confirmed that.

Congrats buddy

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by OboOlora(f): 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
World best!!!!!!!!
Not that foolish midget

3 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Kayceenaz(m): 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest football player that has ever lived; I make this claim with a rich sense of certainty.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by sotall(m): 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
C. Ronaldo wanted a challenge so he went to Juventus that had won the Seria A a record 7 times in a row....

Why him no come Enyimba come help then win CAF champions league?

23 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by futureenergy: 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2019
Sycophancy . . . Ibrahimovic was actually the first.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Latidoh1: 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2019
Nice record
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by BEANSANDBREAD00(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2019
G
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by yungbillionaire(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2019
This dude reminds me of Achiles in the Troy.....I think his hunger for glory is his driving force to succeed.....but its just all about him....loyal to no country nor flag.....just the glory

7 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by skyfather09(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2019
G.O.A.T.. Messi cant even begin to do this.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
Rubbish

Ibrahimovic has won in 4 different leagues with 5 different teams.

Judging from the last 10 years. I won’t rate Italian league above average. Farmers league.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by yungbillionaire(m): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
yungbillionaire:
This dude reminds me of Achiles in the Troy.....I think his hunger for glory is his driving force to succeed.....but its just all about him....loyal to no country nor flag.....just the glory

[/b][The movie[b]
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by sammyj: 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
Great news. Click Like for my Real GOAT CR7 and Share for Messi that has refuse to leave Bacca for greener pastures!!!

7 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
Anigreat:
shocked

Let men like Lionel Messi make noise on football and not this useless ball tapping opportunistic idiot.
I can imagine that you are in Sifia pains gringrin

10 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Ucheosefoh(m): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
Zlatan and Maxwell has 8 league trophies in four different leagues.
Dutch league, Seria A, La Liga and French league one (pardon my spelling)
I think those men deserves the media recognition like CR7 for achieving more.

15 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by TheSTreetman: 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2019
So

Bundesliga and Ligua 1 are not major leagues.

Rooben won EPL, Bundesliga and Laliga with Eredivise

8 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2019
Messi and his fans won't like this

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2019
OboOlora:
World best!!!!!!!!
Not that foolish midget

Lol, wetin messi do una? Abeg free ma Nigga, messi is talent.

6 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by lexyman(m): 2:11pm On Apr 21, 2019
as good as the GOAT is , he breaks new record every year .Messi fans will not like this

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by kekakuz(m): 2:11pm On Apr 21, 2019
stupid talks
messi too can go to jive next and win then to man city. these are stupid records
jive is even better without Ronaldo
without him they got to the finals 2wice. now they did not even get to finals

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes First Player To Win All Three Major Leagues by Earthquake3: 2:12pm On Apr 21, 2019
Anigreat:
shocked

Na wa for you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Victor Moses Reunites With Teammate As Chelsea Flies Stars To Leicester. PICS / Davido Shows His Football Skills As He Plays With Friends / Letter To Ghanaians After Nigeria Beat Them 6:1.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.