Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? (1964 Views)

Do I Take This UK Job Or Go To Canada With My PR / Container Falls On A Fully Loaded Bus At Ojuelegba Bridge, Lagos / Ghana To Deport 54 Nigerians For Illegal Entry, Vows To Secure Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2019
Good day Nairalanders
There is a wise saying that goes like this " To know the road ahead, ask those coming back*. Also there is another one which says *Make hay while the sun shines*.

I am currently in my 400 level and I intend to study abroad by means of schorlaship. I am currently on a CGPA above 4.0 (under a 5.0 scale) after my 300 level (meaning that I still have 4 semesters to go). I may make a first-class or may be a strong 2:1. But whichever the case, I know for sure that by God's grace, I am coming out with a very good result.

I intend doing my Masters abroad after my first degree, but I am lost. I don't know where to start from. I want to make hay while the sun shines, and also, I want to know how to go about it.
Those who have gone this road I am about to take should please give me a detailed steps on how to secure a fully funded Scholarship abroad. I would really appreciate.

Mind you, I have MCGILL on my mind, and I intend studying Bioesources Engineering or any related course.
Thank you.

pls Mod move this to front page as it will go a long way. Thanks
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by BarristerAlarig: 6:57pm On Apr 22, 2019
Oga,

Graduate first.
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 7:05pm On Apr 22, 2019
BarristerAlarig:
Oga,

Graduate first.

Thanks but I feel I should know by now. So when the time comes, it will be a smooth ride
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 22, 2019
BarristerAlarig:
Oga,

Graduate first.
It is better he starts making plans now biko, the graduate first theory is now affecting some people negatively.

Don't do this, graduate first.
Don't do that, graduate first.

And after graduation u get to know that the "graduate first" slang is nothing but absolute deadwood.

Nigeria situation is now more than this graduate first ideology.

4 Likes

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 7:30pm On Apr 22, 2019
sherylbakky:
It is better he starts making plans now biko, the graduate first theory is now affecting some people negatively.

Don't do this, graduate first.
Don't do that, graduate first.

And after graduation u get to know that the "graduate first" slang is nothing but absolute deadwood.

Nigeria situation is now more than this graduate first ideology.

Exactly!
Thanks for the eye opener
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by blazer90707: 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2019
Afterschoolafrica.com
Freeeducator.com or scholarships positions
MasterCard foundation scholarship
fullbright scholarship
Educationusa scholarship
Australia awards scholarship
Swedish government scholarship

I'm also in same dilemma.i would resume 400 level by September .i have been doing a lot of research on Google and watching a lot of YouTube videos .and please don't mind those saying you should wait till after graduation, it's good if u start now as it would help u alot and u would know where u stand. it also helps to keep you motivated in school

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 7:39pm On Apr 22, 2019
blazer90707:
Afterschoolafrica.com
Freeeducator.com or scholarships positions
MasterCard foundation scholarship
fullbright scholarship
Educationusa scholarship
Australia awards scholarship
Swedish government scholarship

I'm also in same dilemma.i would resume 400 level by September .i have been doing a lot of research on Google and watching a lot of YouTube videos .and please don't mind those saying you should wait till after graduation, it's good if u start now as it would help u alot and u would know where u stand. it also helps to keep you motivated in school

Wow!
I really appreciate this, thanks a whole lot dear
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by blazer90707: 7:50pm On Apr 22, 2019
Teophilus96:

Wow!
I really appreciate this, thanks a whole lot dear
you're welcome. just keep me posted.
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 8:01pm On Apr 22, 2019
blazer90707:
you're welcome. just keep me posted.

smiley smiley smiley smiley Of course I will

1 Like

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 22, 2019
Teophilus96:

Exactly!
Thanks for the eye opener
U are wlc
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Ope4Christ: 5:44am On Apr 23, 2019
Take the following steps:

1. Concentrate on your current study and graduate with good grades.

2. When you are doing your NYSC program obtain the following GRE(Q165, V165 and AW 4.0) and IELTS or TOEFL. To have good grade you have to read, read and read which will increase your chances for scholarship.

3. Do not limit your scholarship search to one country but widen your scope of getting scholarship and VISA.
Some people can get scholarship and yet be denied VISA especially by USA, Canada, Australia and UK because of their VISA application process. You can try Germany and Sweden (Schools with English programs) whose VISA processes are not as tough as USA, Canada, Australia and UK.

4. Wish you good luck

6 Likes

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 9:54am On Apr 23, 2019
Ope4Christ:
Take the following steps:

1. Concentrate on your current study and graduate with good grades.

2. When you are doing your NYSC program obtain the following GRE(Q165, V165 and AW 4.0) and IELTS or TOEFL. To have good grade you have to read, read and read which will increase your chances for scholarship.

3. Do not limit your scholarship search to one country but widen your scope of getting scholarship and VISA.
Some people can get scholarship and yet be denied VISA especially by USA, Canada, Australia and UK because of their VISA application process. You can try Germany and Sweden (Schools with English programs) whose VISA processes are not as tough as USA, Canada, Australia and UK.

4. Wish you good luck

Wow thanks a whole lot for taking out time to give me a reply. Thank you so much.

Please permit me to express myself and and ask you some questions based on your advice above. They might even sound foolish
But pls permit me
sir

(1}. By Gods grace I'll make a first-class or a strong 2:1

(2). GRE, IELTS, TOEFL I have hearc a whole lot about them, but I still don't know their essence. I know that they are all exams but I wonder what they are needed for. Pls if you can tell me.
And you said I need good grades. Do you mean that I need good grades in those exams(I.e IELTS, GRE, TOEFL) aside my First Degree result??

(3). Thank you I'll now start considering other countries too.
VISA application?? What makes it difficult to obtain VISA from those countries you mentioned ??

(4) Thanks for your wishes sir. God bless you.

I await your reply sir. Thanks.
smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Ope4Christ: 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2019
Response.

1. That will be brilliant.

2. You can't study in foreign countries without GRE or IELTS. Some may waive GRE or IELTS but you can't do without either of the two. For the purpose of scholarship, you must do the two exams.

GRE is a requirement for postgraduate studies just like UTME in Nigeria is a prerequisite for undergraduate studies. It will test your knowledge about Quantitative, Verbal and Analytical Writing.

IELTS is to test your level of English language via Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.

The two exams are compulsory for scholarship consideration. Your First Degree is one of many requirements.

There are still other requirements.

4. Check the following on Nairaland for further details on VISA and other requirements.

https://www.nairaland.com/5042902/general-german-student-visa-enquiries

https://www.nairaland.com/4672093/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

https://www.nairaland.com/4773130/canadian-student-visa-thread-part#71833372

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre

4. You are welcome.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by ditha(f): 9:10am On Sep 12, 2020
Hi,

1. Don't wait till you graduate!

2.GRE and English Exams are REQUIRED in most countries for graduate education. there are not *COMPULSORY*. Be advised to write them if you have the resources, it's a plus.
(Most first class graduates receive fully funded scholarships without any of those exam_I am a witness)

3. Lookout for fully funded scholarships like Mastercard, Daad, Erasmus, Commonwealth...you can find their threads on NL. Be versatile

4.Make good relationships with your lecturers, preferrably professors, especially your project supervisor and HOD _u will need them for recommendations later

5.Engage in volunteer/leadership activities _you will need these when write your SOP.

6.Start learning how to write good essays, research for schools and start connecting with international lecturers _ professors on social media , Twitter, LinkedIn. This will help prepare your mind

7.try some online courses _this is good for ur CV

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 9:22am On Sep 12, 2020
ditha:
Hi,

1. Don't wait till you graduate!

2.GRE and English Exams are REQUIRED in most countries for graduate education. there are not *COMPULSORY*. Be advised to write them if you have the resources, it's a plus.
(Most first class graduates receive fully funded scholarships without any of those exam_I am a witness)

3. Lookout for fully funded scholarships like Mastercard, Daad, Erasmus, Commonwealth...you can find their threads on NL. Be versatile

4.Make good relationships with your lecturers, preferrably professors, especially your project supervisor and HOD _u will need them for recommendations later

5.Engage in volunteer/leadership activities _you will need these when write your SOP.

6.Start learning how to write good essays, research for schools and start connecting with international lecturers _ professors on social media , Twitter, LinkedIn. This will help prepare your mind

7.try some online courses _this is good for ur CV

Lols. It's been a year and some months I created this thread. Thanks for for your advice.

I really have MasterCard foundation Scholarship in mind for McGill (Bioresources Engineering). I just hope it's not too competitive so I can easily get it lols.

Unfortunately I won't make a first class. But I still have a Cgpa above 4.2+ and likely the Best graduating of my class. Does this give me an edge even tho I didn't make the first class?

Yes I have some materials on GRE, I will take it during my NYSC.

2 Likes

Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by ditha(f): 9:54am On Sep 12, 2020
Oww, u can try. I thinku will need GRE for engineering.
I know a lady that won Mastercard scholarship this year with a 4.3cgpa
Teophilus96:

Lols. It's been a year and some months I created this thread. Thanks for for your advice.

I really have MasterCard foundation Scholarship in mind for McGill (Bioresources Engineering). I just hope it's not too competitive so I can easily get it lols.

Unfortunately I won't make a first class. But I still have a Cgpa above 4.2+ and likely the Best graduating of my class. Does this give me an edge even tho I didn't make the first class?

Yes I have some materials on GRE, I will take it during my NYSC.
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Teophilus96(m): 10:02am On Sep 12, 2020
ditha:
Oww, u can try. I thinku will need GRE for engineering.
I know a lady that won Mastercard scholarship this year with a 4.3cgpa

Alright thanks that's inspiring!
Re: Pls What Steps Should I Take To Secure A Fully Funded Scholarship Abroad?? by Xeeex: 8:03pm On Sep 12, 2020
Check scholarshipportal.com

There are also country specific scholarships

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Get To Idiroko Border From Iyana Ipaja? / Cheap Visas for Afghanistan, East Timor, Bangladesh & Yemen / My Nigerian Trip Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.