Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! (2031 Views)

Writing Cover Letters / Having Problems With Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! / An Insight On Cover Letters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by dekemena: 7:49pm On May 01, 2007
Whether you're submitting a resume cold or responding to a job posting, always include a cover letter. Yes, they're tedious to write, but a solid cover letter can make the difference between getting the job and getting nowhere.

Address the Recruiter: Start your letter with the date. Skip two lines and write the recruiter's full name, preceded by Mr. or Ms. Then, list the recruiter's title and the company name and address. If you don't know the recruiter's name, simply list the company name and address.

Say Hello: Two lines below the header, greet the recruiter with "Dear Mr." or "Ms.", followed by his/her last name and a colon. Don't use the first name, even if you've met the recruiter before; it's unprofessional to be immediately informal. If you don't know the recruiter's name, address the letter, "To Whom It May Concern."

Introduce Yourself: State your letter's purpose in the first paragraph. Tell the recruiter which position you're applying for and why it interests you. Briefly list your top qualifications. If you're responding to a job posting, mention where you saw it.

Sell Yourself: The second paragraph is the most important: It's your sell. Summarize your credentials, but don't reiterate your resume. List your most relevant accomplishments from previous jobs, internships or volunteer work. Emphasize your qualifications for the job by highlighting applicable skills. If you're responding to an ad, you have an edge: You already know the job requirements. Make sure you address them.
ADVERTISEMENT

Flatter Your Reader: The third paragraph should clarify why you want to work at this particular company. Explain why you and the company are a good fit. Show the recruiter that you've done your research. Mention a recent company event or express your interest in an aspect of the company that isn't widely known. Remember, everyone loves flattery, but don't go over the top.

Follow-Up: Your final paragraph should be only a few sentences. Thank the recruiter for reading your letter, then request an interview and provide your phone number. Or, be proactive and state that you'll call in a week to follow-up. Then do it.

Wrap It Up: Two lines below the last paragraph, conclude with "Sincerely,". Three lines below that, type your full name. Don't forget your signature.

Leave a Great Impression: Three lines below the finish, type "Enclosure" (referring to your resume). You'll look professional, detail-oriented and oh-so-savvy.

The Quick List

* Do not send form letters. Tailor each letter to the company, department and, if possible, specific position. The extra effort pays off.

* Recruiters read hundreds of cover letters. Brevity is key. Keep the letter to one page.

* When touting your achievements, be confident but don't exaggerate, brag or lie.

* Read, edit and re-read your letter for typos. Ask a friend to read it, too.

A cover letter's strength lies in its language and detail, so do your research and take your time. Use a professional tone, but don't be stiff. Be yourself. Take advantage of this opportunity to show off your dynamic personality as well as your skills.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by fabiyi: 6:52am On May 02, 2007
That is a great one.

This kind of letter which looks formal, do you still use yours SINCERELY OR FAITHFULLY at your closing end?

I stand to be corrected.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by dollyfil(f): 4:40pm On May 02, 2007
thanks dekemena for takin time out to type all u sent.i believe a lot of people would benefit from this.
Thanks again
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by segunb(m): 8:30pm On May 02, 2007
Dekemena - This is absolutely wonderful, may God continually Lift His hand to Help you as you my Broda have Lifted yurs to help others, i have had some problems with Cover letters to the Extent that i had to start downloading Materials If any one is interrested, i got this book at a steep price, it has a lot of sample keywords.
The Title of the Book is 2500 Keywords to Get hired(1.29MB), If any one doesn't mind i wud attach the book as an attachment and send it to their mailbox from this Thread
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by teanu: 9:38am On May 03, 2007
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your effort in doing this .I hope to write a cover letter today.
Thanks a lot.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by dekemena: 3:45pm On May 03, 2007
@Fabiyi
To answer your question, you write yours SINCERELY when you have addressed someone by name and yours FAITHFULLY when you have used Dear Sir/Madam. You can get more on this and many more when the website (www.smsjobsearch.net) becomes fully operational.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by prometheus(m): 8:47pm On May 03, 2007
Segunb,
I will like you to send that book to me This is my e-mail add aleexchid@yahoo.co.uk. Thankyou very much.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by dekemena: 4:11pm On May 06, 2007
thanks Guys for all ur comments.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by eesaah(m): 7:58am On May 07, 2007
Segunb,

Pls do send that book to me. My email address is "eesaah@gmail.com".Thanks
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by ayoyi: 10:32am On May 07, 2007
Thank you for the information.It will surely come in handy
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by instinct(m): 10:57am On May 07, 2007
Segunb,

I'd love to read the book, here's my email address Bleep.

Thank you
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by kunzydot(m): 11:40am On May 07, 2007
Hi segunb,

Pls i would appreciate if u can send to me.my address is osamkuda@yahoo.com
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by Pizo10(m): 11:56am On May 07, 2007
Hi Segunb, i really appreciate the wonderful work you are doing. i will love you to send the book as an attachment to my e-mail ogbasp@yahoo.com Thanks a bunch
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by yinkaAwe(m): 12:08pm On May 07, 2007
pls send me d book.my add is awelity@yahoo.com. i realy luv it.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by ahmedisah(m): 12:16pm On May 07, 2007
Segunb

pls. kindly send d book to me as attachment on ahmedisah@yahoo.com
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by xtoekpo(m): 7:13pm On May 07, 2007
please, ill also like acopy of the book. my e-mail is xtoekpo@gmail.com. thax guys. peace!
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by obiki(m): 7:52pm On May 07, 2007
men thanks a lot for ur info. i just draftd one from it now. thanks a lot! take care
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by Dynast(m): 2:39pm On May 08, 2007
good job
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by Issyman(m): 2:42pm On May 08, 2007
segunb,
i will also appreciate it if can kindly send that book to me also. my e-mail is abayo2083@yahoo.com
thanks man.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 09, 2007
segunb,
Tanx,i will like to have the book as well.my email addy is titiade@yahoo.com.God bless u real gud.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by Geezle(m): 5:58pm On May 09, 2007
add me too: acegery@yahoo.com
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by R4J(m): 8:49pm On May 09, 2007
Hey, could I get it too: ride4j@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Dekema
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by kakameks: 9:17am On May 10, 2007
Hello, that's awfully nice of you to offer everyone your materials on C.V and cover letters. KUDOS!!!
I'll like a cope forwarded to my mail kakameks@yahoo.com if it's not tomuch trouble. Once again thanks.
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by ikejoe(m): 9:41am On May 10, 2007
hey seeee and mii 2, ikejoe121@yahoo.com
tanx!!!!!!!!!
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by imunest: 4:47pm On May 10, 2007
Segunb,
            Tanx 4 dis great contribution. Pls also send me the book. This is my email is
                                    imunest2003@yahoo.com
Re: Having Problems Writing Cover Letters? Then Read This! by jagalo(m): 8:38pm On May 10, 2007
@dekemena, pls send one for me abeg! this is my mail address: jagalochris@yahoo.com
I appreciate the good work you are doing.
may God bless you.

jagalo!

(1) (Reply)

Do Know About Charles O'tudor? / Uba Traning School / Brilla Fm Studio Managers And Producers Needed-apply Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.