Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? (11364 Views)

New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! / Why Do Job Applicants Tell Their Recruiters This? / Ekiti State College Of Agriculture And Technology Job Applicants Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by castro316: 5:14am On Apr 30, 2019
Why do the majority of job applicants never get hired?

1. The reason is because 85% of jobs really are hidden.

After recruiting for 6 years, I can tell you exactly what is happening. Here are a few scenarios:

Someone is referred into the opening: So many companies have a referral policy because the saying goes, “Good people know good people.” When an existing employee refers their friend, even though the friend might be weaker than other candidates in the applicant pool, the friend usually gets the job because they have already been vouched for by someone the company trusts. I have clients who are interviewing roles for positions not posted yet, they accept the offer, and the company says, “Don’t freak out. We need to post the job for 7 days and bring a few candidates in for interviews to document we didn’t discriminate.” So even if you interview or apply online, there could be a chance that the position is already filled. Sad, but true.

2. The majority of applicants don’t have polished personal brands:

I am alarmed by how many candidates I see with typos or formatting issues on their resumes. So many candidates send out a generic cover letter - it’s better if you just not write one. When we are skimming your resume for 6 seconds before deciding to invest more time into it, it’s crucial that you know what problem you’re solving and making sure your skills and accomplishments can demonstrate this! So many applicants don’t have strong materials and they don’t get selected out of the 500+ other resumes that want that ONE job.

3. People are applying to jobs they don’t have matching titles to:

If you want to be a project manager and your last title was account manager… guess what? You’re going to get rejected solely based on the fact that there are at least 50 other resumes who’ve applied that do have a project manager title and a PMP certificate. A recruiter’s job is to short list the best qualified matches. So if you’re looking for a career transition, you must use the referral strategy listed above.

4. Positions are opened up for people who have built relationships:

I have a client who recently got hired for a role that was not even posted. She connected with a hiring manager and led with value and a strong personal brand. The hiring manager said, “I can really use someone like you” and she started to create her own role based on the company’s needs. She went through the interview process by meeting the team she would be working with. Everyone liked her. She snagged a dream job without it being advertised.

5. Just because you apply online it doesn’t guarantee your resume is read:
With over 3,000 applications to sift through, it’s not humanly possible for me to review every single person. The applicant tracking system helps me rank people by best matches to lowest matches. Once I start seeing irrelevant backgrounds, I stop scanning through. This is when the best matches ahead are brought in through interviews. Once an offer is accepted, we usually go through the system and click “Select All” -> reject. Which is when you get that automated email stating, “Thank you for applying however…”

6. Most recruiters and headhunters are searching for passive candidates.
And to piggy-back off of dismissing irrelevant backgrounds, most headhunters and recruiters are actually leveraging LinkedIn to reach out to people who have populated in their searches as matching backgrounds. We are inmailing candidates asking if they are interested in new opportunities... even though they didn't apply or express interest in job searching. Imagine that! Never applying online but getting asked, "Are you interested in a new opportunity?" Cue: happy dance! How does this happen? Hate to sound like a broken record but it goes back to having an optimized LinkedIn profile and overall personal brand!

So moral of the story is build a strong personal brand and learn how to tap into the 85% hidden job market.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-majority-of-job-applicants-never-get-hired

10 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by tbabs10166(m): 6:30am On Apr 30, 2019
so this is the reason I haven't been getting interview invites despite applying for several openings

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by tosodus(m): 8:08am On Apr 30, 2019
Wow, thanks op for this.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Naijaguy123: 8:26am On Apr 30, 2019
Trash

People don’t get hired because we have too many people chasing a job and we have highest rate of unemployment in the world .
Also graduate internship is almost non existence in Nigeria, employers in Nigeria love people with experience and this is a disadvantage to our youth out of higher institutions.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
I think it's simple!

Majority of job applicants lacks the expertise of Certificates they present.

Our Corporate Systems is corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by freemanbubble: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
Okay
Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by qanda: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by SirLakes: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
How many slot dey wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by tetralogyfallot(m): 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
The reasons are so many but let me mention few.
1. No connection.
2. Poor quality or half baked graduates.
3. Poor design of CV
4. Overage factor

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by EmekaBlue(m): 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
Because there is huge population and no job space in the country,especially the ministry. Govt should impose strict retirement policy for the old ones who refuse to go or die and keep forging fake age declaration even as their initial employment files says otherwise of their age

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2019
Because the companies actually recruit before announcing the "vacancies". Connection things...
If you know you know!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Staru1(m): 8:29am On Apr 30, 2019
bcz availability spaces can accommodate minority buh unfortunately majority submitted their applications.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Carlyboi(m): 8:29am On Apr 30, 2019
It’s So simple!its cos 10m applicants keep jostling for 50,000 openings or vacancies it’s not really bout grade,course,school attended or a well written cv!The Malthusian theory will soon unfold in Nigeria make we keep birthing like pigs and the stupid government at all level keep competing and outdoing theirselves in uselessness and cluelessness

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by tesppidd: 8:29am On Apr 30, 2019
Not when you have 1.5 million people applying for 300 slots.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by GazzuzzAutos(m): 8:29am On Apr 30, 2019

3. People are applying to jobs they don’t have matching titles to:

If you want to be a project manager and your last title was account manager… guess what? You’re going to get rejected solely based on the fact that there are at least 50 other resumes who’ve applied that do have a project manager title and a PMP certificate. A recruiter’s job is to short list the best qualified matches. So if you’re looking for a career transition, you must use the referral strategy listed above.

Very true.

You should also look nice when turning up for an interview.

We sell really Sharp cars that will inspire confidence.

https://www.nairaland.com/5142651/2009-toyota-highlander-front-wheel

https://www.nairaland.com/4986227/toks-2012-camry-s.e-4cyl

Mainland lagos

https://maps.google.com/?cid=6875435925006525965 

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by helinues: 8:29am On Apr 30, 2019
In Nigeria, if you cant create your own business lines, be ready to settle for less regarding job hunting.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 30, 2019
Total bullsh!t....

D reason for high rate of u employment is simple which u mentioned partially in ur first paragraph...

Secondly, its so easy getting a job now with big boobs and backside especially here in pH... Its always very difficult getting a job as a man and stupidly enough, when those men still manage to get the job,they continue with d!ck Infrastructure which v also denied then employment for many years.

Thirdly, their is much discrimination and marginalization in states now. When u ain't an indigene of a state,u find it difficult being shortlisted. This discrimination stuff is worse in south south.... Here in river state,nothing will ever get u a state govt job as a non indigene except u formulate a local ID letter.... Tomorrow u see Pple believing south south and south east are one. Some things can never be possible...

When u move to south east,u see different southerners happily working under the state govt of south east,but come to south south and get a job let's see.... It wil be like arsenal beating Barcelona.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by lonelydora: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2019
Because Nigerian Hiring/Recruiting managers have refused to put the "Human" back in "Human Resources"

Nigerian HR personnel feel like demi-gods. They forgot they were once applicants. They look out for 'impossible' CVs instead of personality and values.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by TheTourist: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2019
BECAUSE ONLY A MINORITY IS NEEDED.
Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by backnbeta(f): 8:32am On Apr 30, 2019
Because there is limited space...simple. All applicants can't be taken.
Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by darkelf: 8:38am On Apr 30, 2019
backnbeta:
Because there is limited space...simple. All applicants can't be taken.

Don't mind the dude with his Essay. When you have an unemployment rate over 60 percent, that is what happens. As usual, recruiters will always look for something to say as to why you weren't accepted. Even if everybody had polished CVs and cover letters with excellent interview scores, bot everyone will be accepted.

It's very simple

7 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Imstrong2(m): 8:39am On Apr 30, 2019
More reason people should think outside the box

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by backnbeta(f): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2019
darkelf:

Don't mind the dude with his Essay. When you have an unemployment rate over 60 percent, that is what happens. As usual, recruiters will always look for something to say as to why you weren't accepted. Even if everybody had polished CVs and cover letters with excellent interview scores, bot everyone will be accepted.

It's very simple
That's it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Imstrong2(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2019
lonelydora:
Because Nigerian Hiring/Recruiting managers have refused to put the "Human" back in "Human Resources"

Nigerian HR personnel feel like demi-gods. They forgot they were once applicants. They look out for 'impossible' CVs instead of personality and values.
grin as if they were born recruiter.always seeing error in every cv no matter how perfect it appears.Only God can help

4 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 30, 2019
Imstrong2:
More reason people should think outside the box
Like?
Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Sirwallace(m): 8:52am On Apr 30, 2019
Naijaguy123:
Trash

People don’t get hired because we have too many people chasing a job and we have highest rate of unemployment in the world .
Also graduate internship is almost non existence in Nigeria, employers in Nigeria love people with experience and this is a disadvantage to our youth out of higher institutions.

So on point. Its unfortunate especially for those of us in engineering profession. Those in financial sector are given training as a trainee. You rarely see engineering trainee job out there. And they expect you to come with 3 years experience when you are outbof job for years.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 30, 2019
Ok, but connection is the key as far as Nigeria is concerned.its major factor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Sirwallace(m): 8:58am On Apr 30, 2019
Linkedin is cool but not a guarantee to get a job. Sometimes its just grace. And settling for less to kick start a career instead of staying idle. But I believe with skills in IT and cut out experience, we can pass this hirdle of unemployment.

Most people rely on man know man, but I believe in self reliance and fair opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by lordswill03: 8:58am On Apr 30, 2019
Please oo, I'm looking for a cook who can manage a canteen. The person will be willing to relocate ( accommodation and of course feeding will be taken care of). Preferred food of interest are as follows: Edikaikon soup, Afan and Egusi soup. Salary 15k per month ( for a Start). Location : Ekiti state ( Ado Ekiti to be precise). Please interested candidate should inbox me ASAP. Thanks and good luck.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by Angelfrost(m): 8:58am On Apr 30, 2019
Please get real... It's simply a case of far more white-collar job-seekers than the jobs themselves. Most applicants are even more than qualified.
Sadly, it might actually get worse.

A sensible nation would invest in micro industries, and encourage entrepreneurship via creating the opportunities to easily access loans along with an enabling environment for skills development.

Y'all should stop recycling these tired theories that don't hold sway in a fast declining economy.

P.S: Not hating... Just being REAL!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by ednut1(m): 9:00am On Apr 30, 2019
Trash. When my dad and his friends graduated in the 80s they had jobs offers waiting. My dad had 3 offers. He chose RT briscoe. Fast forward to when i graduated. With my 2.1 and ican i attended over 20 job tests and interviews. The first good job i got 5000 applied for 34 slots i was lucky to be invited because some pple they gave jobs defered the jobs and went for master. If the over 4000 pple polish cv and package . No job for them abeg. The country is hard. Just look at immigration job numbers na

4 Likes

Re: Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? by iamclime(m): 9:03am On Apr 30, 2019
lonelydora:

Lol, Brigette Hyacinth should come back to Nigeria to train our HR fellows

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Got This Invite From Whalesbrook. (WHITEWATERS INSTITUTE) / Who Got These Also....pls Someone Should Help With An Info / Capricorn Digital Limited (CDL) Graduate Job Recruitment - Over 40 Openings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.