Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely (10781 Views)

Standard & Nicely Located Self Contained Apartment At Akoka. Price : 250,000 / Nigeria Brand Of Education Is A Scam! Read And Criticize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Spynaija: 1:45pm On May 03, 2019

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines “criticism” as “a critical observation or remark, the act of criticizing usually unfavourably”. Have you ever had an experience when someone told you how fat you’ve suddenly become? Or Maybe your boss had commented on how bad your work turned out to be?. Maybe you’ve heard from other folks how people view you as proud and unapproachable type?

It Hurts, doesn’t it?

Believe it or not, some people can be so undiplomatic that they are not even aware when they’ve hurt anyone’s feelings, that’s the receiving parties, especially the sensitive ones, they’ll be offended by their remarks, of which can eventually result in conflicts and arguments.

Your primary thoughts might be to help them maybe keep their lifestyle or health on check, but would they realize your good intentions instead of feeling hurt by your blunt comments or remark?

They might probably think you’re impolite. But what can you do if you really need to profess an honest criticism, but you’re afraid of hurting others’ feelings?

Now Here’s the secret

All you have to do is sandwich your negative comment between two positive remarks.
For example, your best friend Bassey is going on his very first date. He’s all excited and desirous to go. You know Bassey doesn’t have any fashion sense. He’s wearing a bland shirt with an old jeans. You know quite well how he hates to admit faults. So what will you do to save Bassey from an embarrassing first date?

Would you say out-rightly to him that the outfit he’s wearing is appalling? That would hurt his ego.

Well, you can first commend him on the things you like in his overall appearance. Comment on his well-groomed hair. Ask him where he bought his perfume because it can literally attract women like bees to honey. Be very sincere and honest.

Then, insert in a nice and suave approach your point of view and advice. You can tell him something like:

“Your shirt looks very nice Bassey, Since this is your very first date, I think Beky (his date) will be much more impressed if you would wear something like the outfit that you wore on my birthday. You look irresistible when you put on clothes like that.”

Afterwards, make another positive statement. You could say something like:

“You would definitely portray a big impression on Beky. She would fall heads over heels over your nice appearance and cheery personality. Have a great time on your date, Bassey.”

Do you think Bassey would be offended by such a nice comments? You have wittingly inserted a slightly negative feedback into a plethora of acceptable and ego-boosting remarks.

Generally, People love compliments, They believe they’ve got the caliber. They want other people to magnify the abilities they believe to possess. People like to hear others talk about their greatness and qualities, and they’ll be very glad if other people would know about it.

So if you intend to criticize anybody, remember to laud him/her first. It will leave a positive impression that you’re a nice guy. Then say what you have to say, but in a nice and non-offensive approach. Finalize with another positive remark to set a pace for amity.

Source https://spynaija.com/2019/05/02/how-to-criticize-constructively/

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 03, 2019
Cc: lalasticlala this is very important as it contributes to knowledge. Move this with the speed of light

8 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by josephwilliamsd(m): 4:44pm On May 03, 2019
T
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by DanoskiDaniels: 4:44pm On May 03, 2019
Me I like being blunt and straight to the point and that's why I only criticize my guys cause I know they are familiar with my mannerisms..

I go be like, guy go change that cloth e no fyn, u resemble bush boy...

He will b lyk, UR Fada

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:44pm On May 03, 2019
asuustrike1:
Cc: lalasticlala this is very important as it contribute to knowledge. Move this with the speed of light
...it contributes...

10 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:44pm On May 03, 2019
Nice thread and will certainly be of use in real-life situations.

But,

Won't work on Nairaland. Criticizing or even advising someone here will invite abuse, tribalism, death threats,etc. Egoistic people will never be humble enough to admit their mistake. They would rather commit suicide than say "sorry".

5 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Tintinnoty(m): 4:44pm On May 03, 2019
Op we will not take this.

On nairaland, are argument is off point and we like it grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Alejocs: 4:44pm On May 03, 2019
I dey learn!
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by legitsucccess: 4:46pm On May 03, 2019
It's alright
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:46pm On May 03, 2019
Spynaija:

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines “criticism” as “a critical observation or remark, the act of criticizing usually unfavourably”. Have you ever had an experience when someone told you how fat you’ve suddenly become? Or Maybe your boss had commented on how bad your work turned out to be?. Maybe you’ve heard from other folks how people view you as proud and unapproachable type?

It Hurts, doesn’t it?

Believe it or not, some people can be so undiplomatic that they are not even aware when they’ve hurt anyone’s feelings, that’s the receiving parties, especially the sensitive ones, they’ll be offended by their remarks, of which can eventually result in conflicts and arguments.

Your primary thoughts might be to help them maybe keep their lifestyle or health on check, but would they realize your good intentions instead of feeling hurt by your blunt comments or remark?

They might probably think you’re impolite. But what can you do if you really need to profess an honest criticism, but you’re afraid of hurting others’ feelings?

Now Here’s the secret

All you have to do is sandwich your negative comment between two positive remarks.
For example, your best friend Bassey is going on his very first date. He’s all excited and desirous to go. You know Bassey doesn’t have any fashion sense. He’s wearing a bland shirt with an old jeans. You know quite well how he hates to admit faults. So what will you do to save Bassey from an embarrassing first date?

Would you say out-rightly to him that the outfit he’s wearing is appalling? That would hurt his ego.

Well, you can first commend him on the things you like in his overall appearance. Comment on his well-groomed hair. Ask him where he bought his perfume because it can literally attract women like bees to honey. Be very sincere and honest.

Then, insert in a nice and suave approach your point of view and advice. You can tell him something like:

“Your shirt looks very nice Bassey, Since this is your very first date, I think Beky (his date) will be much more impressed if you would wear something like the outfit that you wore on my birthday. You look irresistible when you put on clothes like that.”

“You would definitely portray a big impression on Beky. She would fall heads over heels over your nice appearance and cheery personality. Have a great time on your date, Bassey.”

Do you think Bassey would be offended by such a nice comments? You have wittingly inserted a slightly negative feedback into a plethora of acceptable and ego-boosting remarks.

Generally, People love compliments, They believe they’ve got the caliber. They want other people to magnify the abilities they believe to possess. People like to hear others talk about their greatness and qualities, and they’ll be very glad if other people would know about it.

So if you intend to criticize anybody, remember to laud him/her first. It will leave a positive impression that you’re a nice guy. Then say what you have to say, but in a nice and non-offensive approach. Finalize with another positive remark to set a pace for amity.

...a...comment...

2 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 03, 2019
GrammarNazi1:

...it contributes...
Thanks
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by ElFabchuks(m): 4:46pm On May 03, 2019
Really nice one. Compliments go a very long way. That little nice stuff you said to someone and forgot, he/she remembered it before sleeping and felt good. A lot of negativity outchea already,Spread positivity.
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by IjebuWarrior: 4:47pm On May 03, 2019
OP, craze dey ur head, I swear! angry

1 Like

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by jenifer9999: 4:48pm On May 03, 2019
WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR E COMMERCE WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT WITH US

- BEAUTIFUL WEBSITE AESTHETIC AND FUNCTIONALITIES – THAT CAN COMPETE WITH TOP SITES
- BUSINESS BRAND LOGO DESIGN (A MUST FOR YOUR BUSINESS)
- UP TO 5 BANNER DESIGNS FOR YOUR ONLINE MARKETING ADS FOR FREE
- PAYMENT GATEWAY INTEGRATION
- LIVE CHAT (make it easy to connect with customers enquiries on the go)
- FREE TRAINING ON HOW TO UPLOAD, EDIT AND REMOVE PRODUCT IMAGES OR PRICES FREE

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by joshuaudom(m): 4:49pm On May 03, 2019
Spynaija:

It Hurts, doesn’t it?

Now Here’s the secret

Good one there.
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Femston: 4:49pm On May 03, 2019
Simply put, criticize and ready to proffer some solutions to the criticism

2 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by lilmax(m): 4:50pm On May 03, 2019
CRAP
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by LowerPriceData0(m): 4:51pm On May 03, 2019
Wonderful.. It will help people that do Criticize blindly..

1 Like

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by LamidicownuBSS: 4:51pm On May 03, 2019
ftc
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 03, 2019
lilmax:
CRAP
What did you say
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Talibanis: 4:52pm On May 03, 2019
Very good.
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by derrydinny: 5:03pm On May 03, 2019
all these talk just to make someone feel cool and unharmed with the truth, crap

if the truth I tell you hurts you, that is your problem, I don't have time to make up some words just to make you feel good

2 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:04pm On May 03, 2019
Good thread.

Very good thread.

1 Like

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by stanliwise(m): 5:14pm On May 03, 2019
DanoskiDaniels:
Me I like being blunt and straight to the point and that's why I only criticize my guys cause I know they are familiar with my mannerisms..

I go be like, guy go change that cloth e no fyn, u resemble bush boy...

He will b lyk, UR Fada
correct guy.

1 Like

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Lukgaf(m): 5:14pm On May 03, 2019
Love this
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by stanliwise(m): 5:14pm On May 03, 2019
OladimejiRufai:

What did you say
he skipped English class. he can't read properly, ignore him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University / Pic: Difference Between A Private University & A Federal University / The Nigerian Stock Exchange Essay Competition For Secondary Schools, 2016.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.