Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson (1104 Views)

Top 10 Sexiest Male On-air Personalities in Nigeria(photos) / Mcsn Attacks Coson Over Musicians / Defamation: Izamoje Slams Coson With N5.5b Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by tpsolomons: 10:59pm On Sep 21, 2010
The Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON), the nation’s sole government approved collective management organization for musical works and sound recordings has announced that come October 1, 2010, the era of free music on Nigerian air waves and in public places will be gone forever. The announcement was made by COSON Chairman, Chief Tony Okoroji, at the Boardroom of the society in Lagos during the signing of a royalty collection agreement between COSON and Olusola Adekanola & Co, one of the nation’s foremost indigenous firms of chartered accountants.

By the agreement, the skills and resources of the two organizations are being aggregated to ensure that starting October 1, no organization using music in a commercial setting or in public anywhere in Nigeria is allowed to do so without the payment of copyright royalties as required by law. According to Okoroji, “The time has finally come for everyone to do their duty. We have respected the users of music. We expect them to reciprocate that respect. Any of them that is not licensed by October 1 may be attracting sanctions from us or will be exposed to the full weight of the other tools in our tool box”

At the agreement signing ceremony during the week, Chief Okoroji said that the choice of Olusola Adekanola & Co for the COSON assignment was based on the firm’s proven capacity to deliver. He said that their mandate is to use their nationwide infrastructure to reach every nook and cranny of Nigeria and collect the money due to long suffering Nigerian copyright owners. He added that beyond the collection of revenue, COSON is very mindful of the prudent, professional and transparent management of the copyright royalties collected so that at the end of the day the real copyright owners are not short changed.

The implication of the new regime is that from October 1 all broadcast media organisations, hotels, restaurants, event venues, advertising companies, banks, telecoms establishments, airlines, road transporters, oil companies and such other enterprises in Nigeria which use music in any way to aid their operations will be made to comply with the Copyright Act or face legal consequences.

source : http://beep-me..com/2010/09/no-more-free-music-on-air-from-october.html
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 21, 2010
No problem. Means no more publicity for this musicians again
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Mobinga: 11:43pm On Sep 21, 2010
COSON? which one be COSON? I thought it was Charlie Boys group that run the music stuff? Which 1 com be coson, bosom
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by nellaluv(f): 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2010
How much are we talking about here undecided

mscheeew
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by nellaluv(f): 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2010
How much are we talking about here undecided

mscheeew
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Genuflect(m): 6:42am On Sep 22, 2010
Ope o, Nella don hammer!! When they play those your two hit singles, you know how much that is?
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Mobinga: 6:59am On Sep 22, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by CLASSIFYD(m): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2010
I dnt get it. Radio stations wld nw hv to pay artistes in order to play deir songs on d radio?
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by frijos(m): 8:52am On Sep 22, 2010
CLASSIFYD:

I dnt get it. Radio stations wld nw hv to pay artistes in order to play deir songs on d radio?

yes that's what it means. Our naija artistes are being ripped off e don tey.

toba:

No problem. Means no more publicity for this musicians again

you're wrong. No Music=No listeners/viewers=No Advert placement=No income=Bankruptcy

It's not like these media peeps don't know what they're supposed to do it's just because there's no regulatory body on ground to control n coordinate the royalties.

This is a very good development.
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by lawyerchap(m): 10:55am On Sep 22, 2010
frijos:

yes that's what it means. Our naija artistes are being ripped off e don tey.

you're wrong. No Music=No listeners/viewers=No Advert placement=No income=Bankruptcy

It's not like these media peeps don't know what they're supposed to do it's just because there's no regulatory body on ground to control n coordinate the royalties.

This is a very good development.

The artistes need the radio stations more than the radio stations need them. You'll find that the artistes will be the ones who will go and offer the stations their works and waive their rights to royalties. If their songs are not played on radio, no one will hear their music and no one will invite them for shows (which is where they make their money really). If they do a cost benefit analysis, they'll know which side their bread is buttered.
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by CLASSIFYD(m): 3:08pm On Sep 22, 2010
Lawyachap real talk!
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Djswaggz(m): 7:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
Lawya correct. . . People dnt go to shws as much as they used to and with d advent of d internet, dem wan revert back to earning peanuts b dat naaa.
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by kannymoore(m): 8:01am On Sep 25, 2010
Me thinks that radio stations will have to crosscheck their priorities and finally churn out more educative programmes on their airtime instead of blasting free music all day long. Na now wey we go know which station be betta radio station, Maybe the radio presenters'd spend more time talking about people-related issues for starters.
I feel for everyone, Frm wack dj's to wack artistes to hollow-minded radio personalities, E go harsh for all man o!
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Dotman01(m): 8:41pm On Sep 26, 2010
For where??. . . I bet those artiste are d one dat 'll beggin those radio stations. . . . Lets face it, i dnt see any radio statn paying those guys jare. . . I think we're goin back to those days we listen to foreign jams alone on radio. Thats my fear for naija music industry!
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Bamsyle2(m): 9:55am On Sep 28, 2010
Great idea (if backed by honest intentions/good faith) . . .

The artistes might suffer in the short run, but if they hold on, they'll be the better for it . . . might be a strange development to Nigerians, but this is the case in developed countries . . . and Fela (being the icon he was) did not tolerate the free broadcast of his songs . . .

Enforcement is another issue though - Nigeria is well-known for churning out regulations that don't get implemented/enforced.
Re: No More Free Music On Air From October 1st – Coson by Fred87(m): 11:11am On Sep 28, 2010
I tink piracy should b tackled i.e to its minimal b4 dis development,i welcom it but 1st tins 1st.gudluck.eeeezz

(1) (Reply)

Name Of This Song / Who Was At Ay Show In O2 / Your Challenges As A Music Producer / Fela Kuti's Legacy (22 Albums): Which Album Is The Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.