Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,662 members, 7,955,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:08 AM

Why Is Israel In European Football - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Why Is Israel In European Football (15180 Views)

*~Coogar Voted European Football Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations / Biggest Match Fixing Scandal In European Football History / Poor Refereeing In European Football: What's Your Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Israel In European Football by HAH: 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2010
To the best of my geography knowledge Israel is in the middle east but am surprise that instead of playing the Asian cup they are playing in UEFA, Please Educate me or is it just politics?
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by medjai(m): 7:13pm On Sep 22, 2010
yes, Israel is in the middle east but they joined UEFA so in football they are a European team. Countries can sign up with whatever confederation they like.
Australia is another example. They joined the Asian Federation so they could avoid play offs with South American teams and have an easier route in qualifying for the world cup.
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by HAH: 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2010
@ medjai

Thank you for the response. but going by your response if i were contries like belgium we will just join concacaf and qualify easily to the world cup.
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by duduspace(m): 11:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
@HAH

It also requires the acceptance of the association you want to join as there would likely be some voting process and politics involved prior to acceptance. In Israel's case, it was easy for them to be accepted on humanitarian and safety grounds, can you imagine how unsafe it would be for Israel to go and play at places like Syria, Iran and Iraq?
After what happened at the Munich olympics where Israeli athlethes were killed by terrorists, it was easy to convince europe to take them in.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by 9ijaprince(m): 9:16am On Sep 23, 2010
Yes you just hit the nail on the head. It was mainly political.
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by RuuDie(m): 9:34am On Sep 23, 2010
@ topic,

strictly political. . . . . u can just imagine an israeli team going to islamabad to play football - hmmmm. . . .

@ duduspace,

may i also add that it'd need FIFA's blessing too!
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by duduspace(m): 11:47am On Sep 23, 2010
RuuDie:

@ duduspace,

may i also add that it'd need FIFA's blessing too!

You are very right, Thanks. I think HAH should be very clear about his question now.
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by ice234: 1:19pm On Sep 23, 2010
its affiliated to uefa instead of AFC
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by eckersley: 8:32am On Oct 14, 2014

European Football Confederation membership
In 1991, Israeli clubs began participating in European club competitions,
and Israel returned to the European leg of World Cup qualifying in 1992.
In 1994, Israel received full UEFA membership, 20 years after it had left Asia

Read the rest here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_national_football_team
Re: Why Is Israel In European Football by eurocup16news: 4:22pm On May 25, 2016
It's simple. Israel were too scared by the thoughts of their arch middle east rivals, and therefore will be playing [url="http://eurocup2016news.com"]Euro Cup[/url].

(1) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs Newcastle. EFL (0 - 3) On 1st November 2023 / Chelsea Vs Burnley (3 - 0) On 11th January 2020 / Arsenal Vs Slavia Prague Europa League (1 - 1) On 8th April 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.