Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos (67179 Views)

Lockdown: What Computer Village Lagos Looks Like Due To Coronavirus (Video) / Tinubu-ojo Installs Iyaloja, Babaloja In Computer Village / Photos From The Ongoing Protest In Computer Village, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by afroniger: 6:54pm On May 11, 2019
https://techpoint.africa/2019/05/07/meet-iyaloja-of-computer-village/

By IFEANYI NDIOMEWESE:- Nigeria’s foremost ICT market — Computer Village, Ikeja — used to be under the leadership of the Computer and Allied Product Dealers Association of Nigeria (CAPDAN), headed by Ahmed Ojikutu.

However, with rumours of an impending installation of an Iyaloja and Balaloja (traditional market leaders) in the famous market, it appeared there was going to be a shake up in that managerial structure as we well know it.

Techpoint visited the Computer Village in Ikeja, Lagos last week Friday and discovered that the installation of both Iyaloja and Balaloja in the market had been completed the day before (which was Thursday).

Prior to the visit, Techpoint had come across reports of a protest against the move.

The major concern of the protesters was the lack of connection between technology, which the hub is known for, and the planned installation of traditional market leaders. But it turns out this story had a huge twist to it.

Meet the elegant “Iyaloja“

Techpoint would finally get audience with the newly appointed Iyaloja of Computer Village, Ikeja. The elegant figure, who immediately introduced herself as Abisola Azeez Raolat, doesn’t fit the stereotype of a traditional market leader.

Abisola is a degree holder, having studied Lingustics and graduated from the University of Benin in 1990. This explains her ability to communicate very proficiently. But her journey to become leader of the market is what is remarkable.

Abisola used to have an office in the highbrow area of Victoria Island, Lagos where she was in the business of buying laptops overseas and selling locally.

She relocated to Ikeja as far back as 25 years ago, five years before Computer Village, Ikeja was formally set up in 1999.

So it didn’t come as a surprise when she mentioned that she was a foundation member of CAPDAN and also doubled as its secretary till the reformist leadership era.

“I am the secretary of the group that registered CAPDAN,” Abisola explains, “I was the major person whom God used to install the president of the association. Evidence of this can be found in the video of his electioneering campaign as I was in the forefront of it,” Abiola continues.

Even though the committee has an executive board, Abisola boasts of being the major negotiator with blue chip companies and banks on behalf of CAPDAN.

“As part of the executive board of CAPDAN, and apart from being the secretary of the group that registered the association, I am the one who goes out on behalf of the association to talk to the likes of Microsoft and other blue chip companies. I’m the one they send. So I have been in the system for long doing all of these, adding value to the business and community at large,” she adds.

Because of this, she says she is fully aware of what the needs of the business community in Computer Village are.

Tackling the challenges

“The challenges of the people here are many, but I can tell you that lack of funding for these shop owners sits somewhere at the top. I however equally know how to harness facilities that enhance the growth of businesses in Computer Village,” says Abisola.

She narrates how in the early days, banks used to be a stumbling block to most shop owners in the market. Apparently, banks would stock laptops and make their customers pay in instalments.

“I was one of the people who wrote to the government to stop banks from selling laptops as they aren’t specifically in the business of buying and selling.”

Just as effective as that measure was, Abisola believes that with government influence, they can cut away a lot of anti-competitive practices that are harmful to most shop owners in the market.

But most importantly, she feels that brands that are willing to give loan facilities to shop owners can do so now that a position such as the Iyaloja (or Babaloja) could come in handy as their guarantor.

Other equally pressing tasks

Having spoken about the things she could do as the Iyaloja of Ikeja Computer Village, Abisola did not fail to express her concern about security in the market.

“I can tell you authoritatively that majority of the people on the streets (of Computer Village) are doing nothing. It is impossible not to get accosted by at least 5 boys asking if you want to buy or sell laptop should you find yourself walking the streets of Ikeja. Those are miscreants. The ones that really have things to sell are in front of their shops.

She says they are however planning to completely restore sanity to the streets of Computer Village, Ikeja.

“We cannot leave a large market like this just like that, without adequate security. If we remove those, you will see that there will be sanity on the streets with free flowing traffic. Very soon you would see that, on the streets of Ikeja, there will be no waiting, no stopping and no soliciting. Just keep moving,” boasts Abisola.

On the timing of her appointment, Abisola explains that there was nothing sudden about it. According to her, more than five meetings, spanning several months had been held with stakeholders.

“I have always been a leader. I’ve been called ‘Iyaloja’ by everyone in the market for over ten years, as a nickname and as a result of my contribution in the market. But in my humble opinion, I think it’s just the right time for God to crown the name with a position,” she concludes.

Leading side by side with Abisola is Adeniyi Olasoji, who is not only the newly appointed Babaloja but a shop owner in the Computer Village, Ikeja as well.

68 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by erifeoluwasimi(f): 7:03pm On May 11, 2019
Bravo

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Topccy007z: 7:18pm On May 11, 2019
I'm still wondering what we should do with this info.

I hope the office comes with an official car and the likes.

I guess it's equally pensionable

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by dam2000(m): 7:18pm On May 11, 2019
Muslim Muslim ticket

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by geosuzzy(f): 7:18pm On May 11, 2019
Lol....office
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Okoyeebo: 7:18pm On May 11, 2019
Where are those Igbos saying Lagos is no-man's land?

You come to our land, we host you, you make money only for you to turn around and insult our traditional institutions and call Lagos no man's land.

Obiano specifically called Lagos no man's land and Igbos supported him. Eventually, he kicked Ebonyi okada riders out and renamed Abakaliki Street to Club street.

The kind of hospitality we have given you economic refugees, Igbos from other states can't enjoy it in Anambra and vice versa.

Let me tell you guys, ALL markets in Lagos would have Iyalojas and Babalojas. If you don't like it, get da feck out of Lagos.

By the time all our markets fall under traditional Yoruba leadership, let me see the Igbo man with guts to call Lagos no man's land.

200 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Auxtin85(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
Make she enjoy, she go come get one small boy now as PA

4 Likes

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by bouncin04(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
Jagaban right now grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
cry
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Olaking123(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
Awon Omo lagidi

4 Likes

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Freshbaba95(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
No worry, we dn leave matter for her
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by tbanty1: 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
Nn
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by kerry57: 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
Na so,up Tinubu as usual.he will always get whatever he wants in eko.

4 Likes

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by DrObum(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
She don blow.
Na to declare new dues immediately.

5 Likes

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by mmadu5(m): 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
So what??
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by OSUigboKiller: 7:19pm On May 11, 2019
cheesy

Osu people are in real big trouble grin

This is really a bad news for them cheesy

This year no favor dem at all cheesy

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Okoyeebo: 7:20pm On May 11, 2019
mmadu5:
So what??

Ask Okeshuku and Ogeshy in Computer village how far.

Touting would be stopped and criminals would be shot at sight.

Let us see how many of your brothers have legitimate businesses there.

dam2000:
Muslim Muslim ticket

You're even lucky we didn't add one traditional worshipper so that they would sacrifice you to Ogun.

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by psychologist(m): 7:20pm On May 11, 2019
CV is 90% igbo dominated market, if we are truly one nigeria why not make an igbo woman and man the iyaloja and babaloja respectively

undecided

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Craigslists: 7:22pm On May 11, 2019
An alumnus of the great GBA GBA!!

Kudos!
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 11, 2019
I like the fact that Nigerians especially igbo people are being bullied

It serves them right .

You suffered for 4 years under a lifeless president and still had the impetus to vote him again

Quote me and may Amadioha strike you

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by HigherEd: 7:22pm On May 11, 2019
Congratulations
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by webcool(m): 7:23pm On May 11, 2019
Hmmm, interesting
Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 11, 2019
She was in the forefront. Anyway i be like say she never marry. Vaseline crew over to you

1 Like

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by SoNature(m): 7:23pm On May 11, 2019
OSUigboKiller:
cheesy

Osu people are in real big trouble grin

This is really a bad news for them cheesy

This year no favor dem at all cheesy

No, if you know your way to Computer Village, you will understand that it's not only Osu people who own shops there.
It affects everyone, including your people.
I know many of you are senseless on Nairaland.
My prayer is that you don't get too addicted to hate so much so that it begins to affect how you relate to real people.
This madness will never take you anywhere.
Our problem in Nigeria is bad leaders, not your next-door neighbor.
I am not replying to change your mind...NO
I am writing this for people who may want to be like you in the future to have a rethink.
Hate does not take anyone anywhere

55 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by faithfull18(f): 7:24pm On May 11, 2019
I think I bought my first laptop from her store inside the village.

4 Likes

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Deepfeel(m): 7:24pm On May 11, 2019
The lady in white trouser make sense from behind sha grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Okoyeebo: 7:24pm On May 11, 2019
psychologist:
CV is 90% igbo dominated market, if we are truly one nigeria why not make an igbo woman the iyaloja and babaloja respectively

No, Computer village is 100% dominated by igbos. Shebi Ola Ayeni, Adepele, Pepple, etc are igbo names. When they were registering CAPDAN, how many Igbos were there?

Go and talk this nonsense in Computer village on Monday let them use atori to reset your destiny.

107 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Richkid97(m): 7:24pm On May 11, 2019
Ipob pigs will cry well well

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Okoyeebo: 7:25pm On May 11, 2019
Richkid97:
Ipob pigs will cry well well

That is their destiny.

They would wail to death.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet Abisola Azeez Raolat, The New Iyaloja Of Computer Village, Lagos by Sanchez01: 7:26pm On May 11, 2019
Okoyeebo:

You're even lucky we didn't add one traditional worshipper so that they would sacrifice you to Ogun.
LMAO grin

26 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Cant Believe I Am Surviving With POS / Native Doctor Storms His Bank To Demand Access To His Money (pics/video) / Introducing Driveinhud: Save Transport Cost When You Share A Ride With Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.