Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,820 members, 7,831,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? (949 Views)

My Mom Is Missing / I Am Falling Apart With My Mom / Read And Learn 'A Letter From Mom To Son' Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by misterani(m): 8:12pm On Sep 23, 2010
For some months now, i've been studying some families and it has come to my notice that lots of Daddys and Mummys have different rooms. Is this right? Im very sure that when they got married in that 'two bedroom flat', they shared a single room. Now, Daddy has got enough cash, hmm & now Mummy's shop has got lots of branches so they have decided to pick one room each in their new Mansion to avoid wastage of rooms, probably. Can you attest to the fact that money created this asunder? Why should my wife's room be different from mine?
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by InkedNerd(f): 8:31pm On Sep 23, 2010
I'm kinda confused. Are you saying they don't sleep in the same rooms? If that is what you are saying, I've heard of couples sleeping in different rooms. Apparently, its becoming quite common.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by Osama10(m): 8:38pm On Sep 23, 2010
It happens a lot these days among wealthy couples.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by misterani(m): 9:56pm On Sep 23, 2010
Yea, as in sleeping together in the same room. Why should or do they have their rooms apart?
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by InkedNerd(f): 4:57am On Sep 24, 2010
I saw a couple on tv show who slept in different rooms and they were very content with it. They were doing it for a couple of years. They both liked their own space in bed and had different preferences in bed so they slept in different rooms.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by ifyalways(f): 10:07am On Sep 24, 2010
Should this really be up for discussion undecided ,whatever works for u n your marriage,stick to it.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by ow11(m): 2:34pm On Sep 26, 2010
SO?. . . A snoring partner doesn't help either!
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by InkedNerd(f): 7:15pm On Sep 26, 2010
ifyalways:

Should this really be up for discussion undecided ,whatever works for u n your marriage,stick to it.

Yupp, I agree.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by misterani(m): 7:27pm On Sep 28, 2010
@ow11. Can sleeping separately be a
solution for married couples who
have different sleep schedules,
illnesses or snoring partners? Dont you think that the way you sleep at times could determine how loud you'll be while sleeping?
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by misterani(m): 9:19am On Sep 29, 2010
Inked_Nerd & ifyalways.
Well, thats your opinion. Guess u're right. Its not any of your business anyway so why should you care? DONT YOU GET IT? Im not criticising partners sharing different rooms, just sharing my observations to whoever cares. I just think spouses
sleeping separately can be a
symptom of a deeper problem thats all. And thats in the case when
partners are avoiding spending
time together or have different
expectations. "If they're sleeping
apart all the time, it can create
problems. If one person thinks
that isn't how marriage should
be, it's a problem. Couples whose separate
sleeping arrangements make
them feel as though they are
roommates instead of partners,
find they are no longer intimate
or are no longer spending time
together may be at risk for
marital trouble.
Sleeping together is important
because it is about being
together as a couple, clinical
psychologist Dr. Joy Browne said,“It's a statement of
compromise and also gives you
the chance to at least cuddle, and
there's that closeness doing that, dont you feel me?
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by InkedNerd(f): 9:28am On Sep 29, 2010
misterani:

Inked_Nerd & ifyalways.
Well, thats your opinion. Guess u're right. Its not any of your business anyway so why should you care? DONT YOU GET IT? Im not criticising partners sharing different rooms, just sharing my observations to whoever cares. I just think spouses
sleeping separately can be a
symptom of a deeper problem thats all. And thats in the case when
partners are avoiding spending
time together or have different
expectations. "If they're sleeping
apart all the time, it can create
problems. If one person thinks
that isn't how marriage should
be, it's a problem. Couples whose separate
sleeping arrangements make
them feel as though they are
roommates instead of partners,
find they are no longer intimate
or are no longer spending time
together may be at risk for
marital trouble.
Sleeping together is important
because it is about being
together as a couple, clinical
psychologist Dr. Joy Browne said,“It's a statement of
compromise and also gives you
the chance to at least cuddle, and
there's that closeness doing that, dont you feel me?

Why are you responding like I said you were criticizing you. All I did was add a few comments about what I noticed and that I agreed with ifyalways. What's the harm in that?
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by zayhal(f): 6:36pm On Sep 29, 2010
I think it's better for couples to sleep in the same room even though each of them may have his/her room where they keep their things and wardrobe. Sleping in the same room fosters closeness and intimacy between them. It even enhances love.

But as someone said, whatever works for a couple should be adopted but it won't be too good if one wants to share the same room and the other refuses to share. This can create  a vacuum in the relationship.

My opinion.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by invisible2(m): 9:58pm On Sep 29, 2010
Sleeping in different rooms is good for younger, child bearing couples. Think of the disturbance of the babies, must the child keep the two sleepless at once? But as the kids grow and the age of the parents advance, its better to share rooms, one of the couple can help each other during health problems, like noticing when your partner is having a seizure, stroke or even attacks.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by OAM4J: 10:28am On Sep 30, 2010
ifyalways:

Exactly! Besides the subject has been discussed severally in this forum.
Re: Why Should Dad's Room Be Different From Mom's? by ow11(m): 8:20pm On Sep 30, 2010
misterani:

@ow11. Can sleeping separately be a
solution for married couples who
have different sleep schedules,
illnesses or snoring partners? Dont you think that the way you sleep at times could determine how loud you'll be while sleeping?

Yes, sleeping separately is a very easy solution to some personal problems like ill-health for example. You can't tell me partners sleep in each other's arms for 8hrs every night?

Snoring is NOT caused by only Head or Neck positions during sleep. Anything from Sleep apnoea to oversized neck to even perennial catarrh can cause a person to snore. The causes of snoring are well documented on the internet and you can read up to update your knowledge. I find it rather strange when people consider snoring a habit rather than a health condition.

Sleeping is as important as eating for a human being and jeopardising one's health because of the need to satisfy 20th century ideas of a happy matrimony is I dare say silly. Couples only began to sleep in the same beds when the industrial age began and cities began to develop. In Pre-colonial Nigeria, women had their own huts in their husband's compound.

Even with this so called bond formed when you share a bed, divorce rates are at the highest since mankind learnt to tame fire. Sharing a bed was borne out of economics rather than the need to be intimate and has since become the norm and as such people often mistake separate rooms as a sign of absence of intimacy. This is a rather simplistic approach I have to admit.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of Working As Housemaid – 14-year-old Girl / A Question For Nairaland / The Way Forward - Your Views Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.