Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,898 members, 7,848,635 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:49 AM

UNILORIN: "The Azeez's Factor: One Man, Too Many" - Ofem Kebesobase - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILORIN: "The Azeez's Factor: One Man, Too Many" - Ofem Kebesobase (575 Views)

Prof Muhammad Abdul-azeez's Social Media Handles Hacked / UNILORIN: The Eagle Has Landed And All Eyes On Him / Azeez Ahmad Tijani Breaks University Of Ilorin First-Class Record After 38-Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

UNILORIN: "The Azeez's Factor: One Man, Too Many" - Ofem Kebesobase by kebesobase(m): 8:04am On May 17, 2019
THE AZEEZ’S FACTOR: ONE MAN, TOO MANY
By Ofem, Kebesobase

It’s a universal truism that a “man’s worth is measured by his word.’’ This implies that a man is who he is, by virtue of what comes out from his mouth. In a like manner, a vessel that must fit for the master’s use, must be a vessel unto honour. From the actions of a man, integrity or dis-integrity is defined. Integrity can never be bought in the market. It is the scarcest commodity in the shops of public service. It takes long years of painstaking effort and self-denial to mortify and immune the flesh against unhealthy compromise. In the light of this, the ability to stick to your word in the morning and make it your bond in the evening is one aspect of integrity; this of course, is true because integrity in word, begets integrity in the person. On the other hand, one’s inability to keep to his word at the instance of mundane forces/pressure overtime, results to compromise which often culminates to one being labelled as a not-trust-worthy person. And may cost him a position of trust in his lifetime. Even when such a fellow is given a position of trust either by omission or commission, he may not exert full authority, let alone command influence.

Mores so, Tara Westover, a poet and a renounced writer, once says that “an education is not so much about making a living as making a person.” This means that one is not only educated to earn a living, but to also become a personality model in all conduct and character. Different people with different views of what it means to be educated, or who an educated person is. Some believe that an educated person is a measure of the number of degrees one has acquired. While others see an educated person to be one, who has pushed away the frontiers of human ignorance. No doubt, both assertions are theoretically correct, but do they transcend to the character expectations or wider view of who an educated man should be?

Please read on… as I unravel my perspective and perhaps, the golden principles of a well-schooled person. Therefore, as an educated person, who has truly conquered the frontiers of human ignorance, as one of the above opinions suggests, one would not expect anything short of a man/woman who should maintain/prefer: a quiet life to a flamboyant lifestyle. A life that would be devoid of any trace of arrogance, executive misdemeanour, recklessness or unnecessary display of ‘show of self’ in the discharge of one’s duties (disciplined personified).

A person who minds his business and always committed to discharging his duties and seeing to a logical conclusion of every task set before him, come what may. A man who would not present himself as uninvited guest or become unnecessarily meddlesome in peoples’ affairs or worst still, become a “busy-body” like one without compass (a highly focused person). And should also be a man, who by virtue of what he does, thrives to live by his earnings even when the society and everyone around is going the other way (one with a mark of contentment).
Without much ado, I have seen one man who has wittingly or unwittingly displayed such character/traits, befitting of an educated man, and Dr. Adesina Lukman Azeez, is that man.

For some who may not know him before hand, just a quick reminder of his modest portfolios in his service capacity in the University of Ilorin. Dr. Azeez, as I was told, joined the services of the University of Ilorin, almost a decade ago. And it is on record that he had meticulously served the University in various capacities in the past; a service tempo he is keeping up till date. Be it as it may, he currently doubles as the Head of Department of Mass Communication, and Acting Director, Advancement and Endowment Centre, University of Ilorin (two very demanding offices). He is also, the Chairman of the Board of Editors, Unilorin Bulletin and also the Faculty of Communication and Information Sciences Representative in Postgraduate School, among others, too numerous to list here. Apart from his duties as a staff of University of Ilorin, he is also, the founder and the pioneer Coordinator of International Institute of Journalism (IIJ); an institute that qualifies students from other disciplines to take up PGD programme in Mass Communication. He is a seasoned administrator, a lecturer of no mean repute and a “gatekeeper” of the University. By this I mean, he would never allow anything that would rubbish the hard-earned reputation of the university to pass through him.

Most importantly, it is worthy of note that, as demanding as his engagements are, he has never been found wanting, when it comes to discharging them. He is an international scholar, not only by vocation, but in character and in his groundswell of the Western culture, which has reflected in his conduct as an administrator. His passion for merit and his desire to see his students refined for excellence, remains his heartbeat. He can never for any reason, or on any account, compromise standard, not even for his pleasure or personal gain. This is a rare feat more unlikely of international scholars, who by virtue of their academic adventures, placed themselves on ivory towers of academic arrogance, becoming small gods over others, with little regard to the popular saying that “when you are riding on a horse, remember those that cannot ride on the donkey.’’ He is not a “Negroid” as one can hardly trace any ‘trait of Africanism’ which as though, is embedded in the DNAs of Africans in him, in his sense of reason, conduct and thinking. He is one teacher who has gained mastery of his craft.

He is a man of proven integrity, and his reputation, he values more than gold and fine diamonds. As far as he is concerned, his reputation is the reason why he can have a breath of the early morning fresh air and relax with the cool evening breeze from the sea. This he does, because of his firm belief in what nature (karma) will offer to everyone in due time. He is also a God-fearing leader, who revered God at every point in time. Just like Apostle Paul says in one of his epistles to the Churches in Corinth “godliness with contentment, is great gain.” Dr. Azeez, has chosen the path of godliness and contentment which is why his reputation is soaring high.

In my little sojourn with him, I have perceived him to be a man God has given to the service of mankind. This is especially true because, a time like this demands strong minds, great hearts, true faith, and ready hands: he is a man whom the lust of office does not have the power to kill; a man whom the spoil of office does not buy; a man who possess opinions and a will; a man who has honour, a man who will not lie; a man who can stand before a demagogue, and damn his treacherous flatteries without winking! He is a tall man, though, not too tall, sun crowned, who is living above the fog in public duty and in private thinking; a man with great mien and candour for public service. He is also a man who has set eternity in his heart, he has let truth to be his fadeless Day Star. In his life of service, sacrifice, courage, cheerfulness, patience, kindness and love, has being his most available tools in his quest to deliver excellent service and add value to human existence. No wonder a prophetess once saw the diligence with which he discharges his duties and prophesized that he will one day become a Vice Chancellor. I am so glued to this prophesy and very optimistic that it will come to pass, because the Holy Book is very clear when it says; “a man who is diligent in his work shall sit before kings and not mere men.” That higher crown is ever imminent for the deserving one.

Nevertheless, it is a critical aphorism that, “live was rent for noble deeds”. If this is a true saying, then, noble deeds ought to be appreciated and encouraged more in the land of the living. But in our society today, it is very unfortunate and most worrisome how we hold back good deeds or worst still, reserve the tribute of a man to the day of his death. I consider this as one of the most illogical practice of all times, because it goes contrary to the Abraham Maslow’s needs and job motivation theory. And the question I ask is; why eulogize the dead that is not even aware you are doing so? Can our words really move God to change his initial judgement towards the dead? Why can’t we instead, identify and encourage hardworking people while still alive in order to spur them up or rekindle that zeal in them to serve humanity more?

As a realist, who shares in the school of thought of Maslow, I have decided to stir up the sterling performance of Dr. Azeez, into public glare, which is my own little way of motivating him to doing more in his oars to seeing that the society becomes better and that public office regains public trust. His towering leadership qualities and his administrative acumen are what has drawn admirations from all and sundry to him. As a teacher with the herculean task of two demanding offices (HOD and Director of Advancement Centre), he has never missed any of his meetings with the students. He is a “caterpillar,” with the abilities of a “robot,” owing to his untiring commitment to duty. He is a man of many paths; just like Paul in the Bible says, “he can do all things through God who strengthens him.” As an astute administrator, he has eschewed the leadership of highhandedness; he respects the rights of people and seeks for the opinion of his subjects whenever he wants to make decisions.

In spite of his tight daily routines, as a postgraduate and undergraduate project supervisor, he still creates and spend quality time to discuss with his supervisees. Where he is not chanced to do so, he goes into rigorous scrutiny of their work, no matter the number, with the eye of an eagle, pointing out their pitfalls as well as penning down for them how it should be done.

Call him a workaholic, you could be right, call him a proactive leader, you may not be far from the truth, because he works ahead of time. Whenever he is set for an assignment, he pursues it to the finish, no matter the cost implication. As the chairman of Unilorin Bulletin, he has never given that task to the second hand, except on rare occasions where other urgent assignments calls. How he does all of that, is still magical in the eyes of many.
Franklin said, “mankind are very superficial and dastardly: they begin upon a thing, but, meeting with a difficulty, they fly from it discouraged: but they have capacities, if they would employ them.” Therefore, by this very fact, Dr. Azeez, has broken that jinx of man’s superficial metaphor, because just like the poor washer-woman said “the more trouble, the more lion;” he has never declined the duties that fall to him, regardless of its attendant challenges. It is the tax which his abilities pay.

No doubt, his spawning productiveness as the head of Department is not noxious or needless. Wherever he is, he is wanted and has the precise qualities that are required. His existence is a perfect answer to all sentimental cavils.

Howbeit, to say that, I am alone on this, would amount to a testimonial injustice because testimonies abounds on the personality of Dr. Azeez. Couple of days ago, I stumbled on the test scripts of his students, who comprises of Mass Communication and Communication and Information Science Departments respectively. As part of his lifelong method of evaluating himself as a teacher in a view to ascertaining whether to sheathe his teaching sword or put in more fuel to fire on with his pedagogical approach, he has always been throwing this bonus question at his students to help him realize that. The bonus question usually goes thus: “do you like Dr. Azeez?”. If yes, state why and if no, state why, and they are always advised to answer the question objectively as whichever coin they chose will attract equal mark.

Behold, tears of joy ran freely from my eyes as I read through their remarks about him, which is a confirmation of my perception of him, and I think, such should not be wished away. In that wise, I have deemed it fit to make a little compendium of the testimonies, not because I want to massage his ego or hype his person, even though he seldom like people hyping him. But to let the world know that there is dignity in labour. And that teaching profession can only get better, and our students would be better for it, if only the major stakeholders will see it beyond just making a living. At this juncture, I am most delighted and elated in my spirit to bring you the most delectable and fascinating tributes about his dynamism and dedication to duty as they answer the question below:
“I like Dr. Azeez, because he teaches in a pleasant way and explains with the use of real-life interactions” …. Okoyomon Rebecca.
“Yes, I like Dr. Azeez, because he tends to make learning fun and quite understandable. He makes you want to look forward to the next class” … Olaniyi Ibiloye.
“I like Dr. Azeez, because he is a kind and a nice man. His classes are always jovial” … Ogunmefun Kemi.
“My perception about Dr. Azeez, is that he is a good communicator. And his knowledge of mass communication is what I admire in him” … Atteh Taiwo.
“I like Dr. Azeez, because he doesn’t need a book to explain in his class and his explanations are usually very in-depth” … Ojo Triumph.
“Yes, I like Dr. Azeez, infact, I love him. My perception of him is that he is a man who is ready to help his students to pass, that is, if the students are ready to pass. And as he will always say always bring your brain to the hall” … Adisa Malik.
“I like him because of his style of teaching. He has the ability to relate his teaching to the lifestyle of the student. His classes are always fun and lively” … Ehioze Simon
“I like Dr. Azeez, because of his style of lecturing and his personality. He is a man that give room for feedback” …. Akinola Akinlunde
“I like him because he always tells us the truth about his course” … Olutayo Enoch.
“I perceived Dr. Abdulazeez, as a very discipline and honest man who did not play with his work. That is my perception of him according Gerbner model.” … Ibrahim Muhyideen
“Yes, he gives room for feedback when communicating.” …Adepegba Abeeb.
“I like Dr. Azeez, because he is nice and jovial.” … Adebayo Musa.
“I like him because he is a good lecturer and he wants the progress of his students.” …Okunlola Muhammad.
“Sir, I like you because you explain very well in class and give good examples, and you really want your students to pass.
“Yes, he is like a father to us all in the Department. His commitment to the welfare of Students in all aspects makes him a role model to us in the Faculty.” … Gbadamosi Iswat.
“Yes, I like him because he is a man that carries the class along and he love his job.” …Odusanya Olabisi.
Mohammed Naqiba,…I like Dr. Azeez, because he teaches well and explains to our understanding.
Omidiji Omolade…I like Dr. Azeez, because he lectures us according to the current happenings in the society. He makes references and cite instances that one can easily relate to and quickly remember.
Ogunniyi Oluwatomiwa…. I like him because he is a good teacher and the course is more understandable because the man teaches well.
Daramola Omosanya… I like him because he challenges students to work hard.
Adesanya Abideen…yes, I like him due to the fact that he teaches his course in a very explicit and simple manner that every student will be able to comprehend.
Godwin Toluwashe…. I like Dr. Azeez because he teaches well and explains to the core. He is a man who wants the success of his students.
Adeyemo Abdul-Hadi…I like him because he has been more like a father than a teacher. In his occupied time, he still makes out time to attend to us in a father-children manner. He also challenges us a lot, which made me to read and learn more about the course.
Bolanle Abiodun…I like him, using Gebner model based on his cultural background.
Those were their tributes to Dr. Azeez. In a class of over two hundred and fifty students, the story is all the same. I only decided to put a few here for the purpose of brevity.

Relatively, although God has endowed us with peculiar abilities in our walks, it would be a great gain to the University, if we would all imitate the Azeez’s factor and develop his kind of mindset towards our assignments and calls to duty. Even though, he is not perfect or infallible, as a human, he has his flaws; he seldom allows his nature to affect his job. The rules of engagements and the vision and mission statements of the University has been his guiding principle. He is one great asset to the University, and if I were the Vice Chancellor, I would recommend him for a greater responsibility.

May God grant him the grace to keep the fire burning….

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UNILORIN: "The Azeez's Factor: One Man, Too Many" - Ofem Kebesobase by Yatahamal: 5:04am On May 18, 2019
So u are a nairalander, Mr. Ofem

(1) (Reply)

Please / Pepsi Scholarship Program 2019-2020 | How To Apply / University Of Ilorin 2019/2020 Admission Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.