Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,032 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? (1212 Views)

Please Help, My Mum Is Lazy And Its Draining Me / My Mum Is Unconsolable One Month After / My Mum Is Planning To Forcefully Give Out My Little Sister Out For Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by laivwire(m): 2:30pm On May 19, 2019
Just as the headline goes. She’s still earning 6 figures at the moment as a civil servant but her retirement is January 2020.

I really don’t have much faith in gratuity or pensions so I advised that she still save up as much as she can now that she’s still earning.

The question now is with whatever is saved up, what can she invest in that can give her at least some stipends starting by next year?

I’m not looking for radical business ideas or over the top investments just something simple. Provision store is also out of it for me as those things can just be a waste of time and money.

I’ll appreciate suggestions please.
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Davash222(m): 2:32pm On May 19, 2019
MIND YOUR BUSINESS is a good business.

Thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by dawnomike(m): 2:33pm On May 19, 2019
Supermarket
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by zoaroster: 2:42pm On May 19, 2019
Have to do with she is and where she is. Wat works in lagos may fumble in Kano, same with Lekki and AJ. So principally her location matters. Entrepreneur ship is all about creativity, look around your environment and create a missing value. Food related venture almost always works in every clime, it's left to the individual to choose what aspect of the industry she wanna dabble into.

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Spechialone(f): 2:51pm On May 19, 2019
It all depends on her location...food stuff and provision should be an option she should consider
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by laivwire(m): 3:38pm On May 19, 2019
zoaroster:
Have to do with she is and where she is. Wat works in lagos may fumble in Kano, same with Lekki and AJ. So principally her location matters. Entrepreneur ship is all about creativity, look around your environment and create a missing value. Food related venture almost always works in every clime, it's left to the individual to choose what aspect of the industry she wanna dabble into.

Spechialone:
It all depends on her location...food stuff and provision should be an option she should consider

Many thanks, it’ll likely be Ibadan, Oyo state. I’ll make some research into Garri, Rice and staple commodity retail.

Rental of chairs and Canopies as well.
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by amaham(m): 4:05pm On May 19, 2019
Has she done any business before? Abeg make she just build house for rentals and save up the rest for herself
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 19, 2019
Creche/daycare business
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by mankettle(m): 6:25pm On May 19, 2019
as a civil servant, she started her retirement planning a bit late, anyways all is not lost.
if you own your house, thank God. if not let her rush to complete it.
after that, it depends on what she did in service, a teacher can open a school, an accountant a firm, a lawyer a firm etc. let her open her office clients will come from those she met in service.
finally, she can always open a small shop or a farm ( plantation) this will cover her day to day costs without being too stressful on her after she establishes it.
or She can start aggressively buying Treasury bills and other fixed income assets. and also if possible buy an annuity. this will give her some cash.
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Roland17(m): 7:21pm On May 19, 2019
Davash222:
MIND YOUR BUSINESS is a good business.

Thank me later.

What sort of irresponsible and immature comment is this? If you have nothing relevant to contribute, you can MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, while he worries about HIS MOTHER.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Davash222(m): 7:25pm On May 19, 2019
Roland17:

What sort of irresponsible and immature comment is this? If you have nothing relevant to contribute, you can MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, while he worries about HIS MOTHER.
Funny enough, you're not minding your business.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Apus: 8:21pm On May 19, 2019
Davash222:

Funny enough, you're not minding your business.

U try too hard to be funny on a serious thread. It's ur likes that jump about polluting every thread on Nairaland. You should have minded your own business in d first instance.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by laivwire(m): 9:31pm On May 19, 2019
amaham:
Has she done any business before? Abeg make she just build house for rentals and save up the rest for herself

I’m really grateful for your contribution. She’s built a place already where she can stay but she has no solid business experience.

mankettle:

she can always open a small shop or a farm ( plantation) this will cover her day to day costs without being too stressful on her after she establishes it.
or She can start aggressively buying Treasury bills and other fixed income assets. and also if possible buy an annuity. this will give her some cash.

She’s a lecturer and I don’t think she’ll want to continue, she don tire smiley but your contributions are golden. I’ll look into this farm thing for her and a small shop to keep her busy.

Thanks everyone
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by babyfaceafrica: 9:54pm On May 19, 2019
let her build a house, shops for rent....less stress...you can never lose with house
Re: My Mum Is Retiring Next Year, What Business Can She Do? by Davash222(m): 6:58am On May 20, 2019
Apus:

U try too hard to be funny on a serious thread. It's ur likes that jump about polluting every thread on Nairaland. You should have minded your own business in d first instance.

And what’s so serious about this thread You think the woman don’t have plans for her ‘retirement years’?? Every civil servants starts their ‘retirement years’ plan 10 years even before they retire.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Normal For Different Sex Cousins To Use The Bathroom? / Nigerian Woman In US Sets Up Her Husband's Brother Trying To Have Sex With Her / From Proposal To Wedding Day!!! One Month Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.