Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,433 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965435 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by computerglobal(m): 7:07pm On May 12, 2017
For Vin checks and report
www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

For European Vehicle Checks and vehicle look-up
https://www.nairaland.com/3791602/european-vehicles-vin-checks-look-up
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 12, 2017
hapheeyxz:

Please boss, is e320, 2001 a reliable car?

yes it is the facelifted model all the errors of the previous models have been fixed.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by hapheeyxz: 9:01pm On May 12, 2017
cne010:

yes it is the facelifted model all the errors of the previous models have been fixed.
Thank u very much, av been asking this question for long and no one answered me... I really appreciate. But sir, the person I want to get it from said some thing that the motor is given as fault on the dash board area, he said is not as issue that if it's a threat, it will show it in red and not yellow... How true is this?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 12, 2017
hapheeyxz:

Thank u very much, av been asking this question for long and no one answered me... I really appreciate. But sir, the person I want to get it from said some thing that the motor is given as fault on the dash board area, he said is not as issue that if it's a threat, it will show it in red and not yellow... How true is this?

Both yellow and red are big threats. what is it showing?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 4:20pm On May 13, 2017
hapheeyxz:

If you are buying a used car have it in mind that you will have to fix some things to ur taste, I don't know how much u know about Benz.
If its showing ESP..... It can be corrected by a simple alignment or a more expensive repair which will involve replacing the ESP module, steering angle sensor, lateral acceleration sensor, e.t.c
Same with ABS,BAS and SRS.
A simple fault like a burnt bulb will also display on the cluster as a fault.
Check that the radiator fan is not always on and on high speed whenever the engine is running..... This repair can involve changing the ECU(brainbox) or as simple as replacing a burnt fuse.

For me once I like a car, I buy it.
I don't mind even if its towed.
Goodluck.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by hapheeyxz: 6:19pm On May 13, 2017
shortgun:

If you are buying a used car have it in mind that you will have to fix some things to ur taste, I don't know how much u know about Benz.
If its showing ESP..... It can be corrected by a simple alignment or a more expensive repair which will involve replacing the ESP module, steering angle sensor, lateral acceleration sensor, e.t.c
Same with ABS,BAS and SRS.
A simple fault like a burnt bulb will also display on the cluster as a fault.
Check that the radiator fan is not always on and on high speed whenever the engine is running..... This repair can involve changing the ECU(brainbox) or as simple as replacing a burnt fuse.

For me once I like a car, I buy it.
I don't mind even if its towed.
Goodluck.

Thanks boss, I'll check and report back to u when I get home next week sir... But it's 6 faults in total that it shows but I cant say precisely what the faults are now.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 7:44pm On May 13, 2017
hapheeyxz:

Thanks boss, I'll check and report back to u when I get home next week sir... But it's 6 faults in total that it shows but I cant say precisely what the faults are now.
You are welcome
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nakoks(m): 11:06am On May 14, 2017
Kewt:

Please heed your friend's advise. I have used both cars. The Kompressor is very problematic and makes you a regular visitor to mechanics while the V6 is way more smoother and better in all ramifications.

As for the guy rating a C230 2005/6 4plug Kompressor above a C230 2005/6 V6 engine....i smile in Swahili... Speed is mostly a function of the driver than the car. Besides, the said V6 car might have some hidden faults..

But on a very good day and all things been equal, the C230 V6 beats the C230 Kompressor hands down.
Generalisations are never helpful.You used one Kompressor that was more problematic than one N/A ,True.I have a kompressor i have been looking for what to fix in over 6 months,A friend has a kompresssor like mine that is plagued with all sorts and he has been at the mechanic everyweek in the last 2 months.What am i driving at?You dont write a script for what a vehicle will throw at you.I know someone with the same C230 v6 that has issues he cant resolve and want to scrap the vehicle,Does that mean its a bad vehicle overall?Be the judge
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 11:28am On May 14, 2017
nakoks:

Generalisations are never helpful.You used one Kompressor that was more problematic than one N/A ,True.I have a kompressor i have been looking for what to fix in over 6 months,A friend has a kompresssor like mine that is plagued with all sorts and he has been at the mechanic everyweek in the last 2 months.What am i driving at?You dont write a script for what a vehicle will throw at you.I know someone with the same C230 v6 that has issues he cant resolve and want to scrap the vehicle,Does that mean its a bad vehicle overall?Be the judge

That's the point many do not know. A Neighbour of mine has been using the 2004 C230 kompressor for 2 years now and the supercharger has never failed. I asked him 2 days ago about his overall experience with the ride and it was all showers of praise that he can never go back to a Japanese. For a vehicle to be bought Tokunbo doesn't mean all is well with that vehicle except a VIN history says otherwise and even with that, maintenance and even the mechanic plays another role in keeping the vehicle in good shape. Many advertised vehicles in the dealership are lemon and once you buy, trouble starts depending on state of damage.

This does not only apply to Mercedes but to other brands as well. Our opinion in matters like this differs anyway.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by computerglobal(m): 1:07pm On May 14, 2017
For vin checks and reports
www.nairaland.com/computerglobal
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mike070: 8:59pm On May 14, 2017
cne010:

Yes they come with Airshocks, some are 4matics some are not even some E320 aren't 4matics.

Thanks boss. Is it a reliable car pls. I've hears tales of woe about the air shock n esp.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by femionasan(m): 12:03pm On May 15, 2017
So my W204 C300 is emitting a huge amount of smoke after an oil change. I am totally confused at the moment, the car starts, runs a bit rough but the smoke is huge. Been told to overhaul the engine or to buy another engine. Quite sad. Anyone have any ideas on the best option?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 6:11pm On May 15, 2017
femionasan:
So my W204 C300 is emitting a huge amount of smoke after an oil change. I am totally confused at the moment, the car starts, runs a bit rough but the smoke is huge. Been told to overhaul the engine or to buy another engine. Quite sad. Anyone have any ideas on the best option?
Have u taken d car for a scan?...
What are the codes?
What is the color of the smoke?

I don't think u need another engine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by femionasan(m): 7:32pm On May 15, 2017
shortgun:

Have u taken d car for a scan?...
What are the codes?
What is the color of the smoke?

I don't think u need another engine.
No I haven't taken it for a scan, the smoke is blue. There is oil coming out of the silencer also and then it makes a slight sound when you rev it, coupled with the fact that the engine isn't running smoothly. All this after routine oil change. One point though is, I stopped using Mobil 1 last year and changed to liqui molly 5w40 last year. This last Service the supplier didn't have 5w40 and he recommended 10w40. I also changed the plugs, used the oem plugs.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nurey(m): 7:52pm On May 15, 2017
femionasan:

No I haven't taken it for a scan, the smoke is blue. There is oil coming out of the silencer also and then it makes a slight sound when you rev it, coupled with the fact that the engine isn't running smoothly. All this after routine oil change. One point though is, I stopped using Mobil 1 last year and changed to liqui molly 5w40 last year. This last Service the supplier didn't have 5w40 and he recommended 10w40. I also changed the plugs, used the oem plugs.

Blue smoke means coolant is leaking into cylinder, you may have a blown or leaking gasket. Do you get hard start in the morning or when engine is cold?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 8:09pm On May 15, 2017
femionasan:

Take it for a scan.....while at it I hope u didn't overfill d engine.
Too much oil is a bigger problem for engines than less oil.

Maybe its a head gasket issue.
Is ur coolant level always dropping?

Do this test tomorrow.
While the engine must have warmed up and running, remove ur dipstick with some oil on it drop the oil on the part of the exhaust u can see from the engine bay.

The oil will burn(smoke): if there is water mixed with the oil it will sizzle.
Goodluck.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:46am On May 16, 2017
mike070:

Thanks boss. Is it a reliable car pls. I've hears tales of woe about the air shock n esp.

I think it depends on where you reside and your commute. Bad roads kill shocks faster.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TheGrandMaster: 5:45am On May 16, 2017
nurey:

Blue smoke means coolant is leaking into cylinder, you may have a blown or leaking gasket. Do you get hard start in the morning or when engine is cold?

Thanks for the response. No, the coolant is never low. Yes, it's been hard starting since this issue began. Prior to this problem, it was not hard starting.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TheGrandMaster: 5:49am On May 16, 2017
shortgun:

Take it for a scan.....while at it I hope u didn't overfill d engine.
Too much oil is a bigger problem for engines than less oil.

Maybe its a head gasket issue.
Is ur coolant level always dropping?

Do this test tomorrow.
While the engine must have warmed up and running, remove ur dipstick with some oil on it drop the oil on the part of the exhaust u can see from the engine bay.

The oil will burn(smoke): if there is water mixed with the oil it will sizzle.
Goodluck.

The engine oil wasn't overfilled and also the coolant level has been the same. Can you recommend a good mechanic with the star diagnostic tool. I can't drive the car the way it is as the smoke causes so much attention. I won't mind paying extra for the person to scan it at my place this weekend. Thanks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nurey(m): 10:25am On May 16, 2017
TheGrandMaster:

Thanks for the response. No, the coolant is never low. Yes, it's been hard starting since this issue began. Prior to this problem, it was not hard starting.

i know blue smoke means coolant mixing with engine oil in the combustion chamber but you still need a physical diagnosis by a technician.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TheGrandMaster: 6:00pm On May 16, 2017
nurey:

i know blue smoke means coolant mixing with engine oil in the combustion chamber but you still need a physical diagnosis by a technician.

I have had 3 technicians view the car, 2 have suggested I change the engine, 1 from trinity said he can do an engine rebuild.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nurey(m): 6:31pm On May 16, 2017
TheGrandMaster:

I have had 3 technicians view the car, 2 have suggested I change the engine, 1 from trinity said he can do an engine rebuild.

What reason(s) did they give, is the engine overwhelmed with sludge or what? Let them give a tangible reason.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 7:11pm On May 16, 2017
TheGrandMaster:

The engine oil wasn't overfilled and also the coolant level has been the same. Can you recommend a good mechanic with the star diagnostic tool. I can't drive the car the way it is as the smoke causes so much attention. I won't mind paying extra for the person to scan it at my place this weekend. Thanks.
Location?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TheGrandMaster: 2:11pm On May 17, 2017
shortgun:

Location?

Anthony Village, Lagos.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 2:21pm On May 17, 2017
TheGrandMaster:

Anthony Village, Lagos.
Oh...sorry, based in Abuja.
Ask around u should get someone.
Note: it must be star SDS, don't don't any excuse that they are the same.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 17, 2017
TheGrandMaster:

Anthony Village, Lagos.

Can you afford to flatbed it Code Red before Ogudu, beside The Good land church?

I guess the car is a W204?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by femionasan(m): 5:50pm On May 18, 2017
cne010:

Can you afford to flatbed it Code Red before Ogudu, beside The Good land church?

I guess the car is a W204?

Yes it's a W204. Will take it to Ogudu on a flatbed.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by hapheeyxz: 8:08pm On May 18, 2017
shortgun:

You are welcome
I can see the following on the dash board:-
BAS(VISIT WORKSHOP)
ABS SYSTEM
ESP.
THAT'S ALL SIR....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 12:08am On May 19, 2017
hapheeyxz:

I can see the following on the dash board:-
BAS(VISIT WORKSHOP)
ABS SYSTEM
ESP.
THAT'S ALL SIR....
BAS usually will not be an expensive repair... I suspect the breaklight switch has failed.

ESP like I said before is tricky...maybe a simple alignment will fix it or you will have to replace some modules and sensors.
Which will bend ur wallet a little.
ESP is a safety feature
But for me it's restrictive... I've disabled it in my car.(not saying you should be like me)

ABS....you really should be concerned here.
A faulty ABS system will make ur transmission not to work properly.
ABS Module, speed sensors e.t.c

At the same time one faulty component can throw all these faults.
Buy the car if you like it.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by hapheeyxz: 6:35am On May 19, 2017
shortgun:

BAS usually will not be an expensive repair... I suspect the breaklight switch has failed.

ESP like I said before is tricky...maybe a simple alignment will fix it or you will have to replace some modules and sensors.
Which will bend ur wallet a little.
ESP is a safety feature
But for me it's restrictive... I've disabled it in my car.(not saying you should be like me)

ABS....you really should be concerned here.
A faulty ABS system will make ur transmission not to work properly.
ABS Module, speed sensors e.t.c

At the same time one faulty component can throw all these faults.
Buy the car if you like it.
Goodluck
Thanks once more sir... We discovered yesterday that the AIR FLOW METER is not good anymore and the FUEL GUAGE. like so much this 2 fit cost?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 10:14am On May 19, 2017
hapheeyxz:

Thanks once more sir... We discovered yesterday that the AIR FLOW METER is not good anymore and the FUEL GUAGE. like so much this 2 fit cost?
Can't give u d cost cos price is not stable, varies with location n dealers.
OEM air flow meter is what you need but its expensive like 50k n above but there are other makes that will do the job that are cheaper.

How did you know that the air flow meter is bad?
Don't just start buying parts anyhow, or you will end up wasting money without result.
Fuel gauge issue can be fixed by a good auto electrician....not a big deal.

Tell the seller to give u discount considering that you have things to fix in d car. Take the car to a good Benz mechanic that will give u a quote.
You can also take the mechanic to check the car before making payment.
Just have it mind that they will chop u small but make sure they get the job done..

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: Djreloaded(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.