Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study (17540 Views)

Adesola Adeduntan: CBN Queries First Bank As CEO Is ‘Purportedly Forced Out" / Dangote Cement To Pay Over ₦97 Billion In Corporate Tax For 2020 Financial Year / Lagosians Struggle To Enter FCMB Bank As Lockdown Eases (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Torimaster(m): 8:09pm On May 22, 2019
Op kindly call 07007007000 Union Bank toll free line or WhatsApp 0907007007000 to report issues bothering on employee and customer fraud to our head office. U can also blow the whistle to KPMG Audit firm or CBN fraud and investigation Unit instead of trying to damage the bank's reputation. Mind you, I have forwarded ur post to our IT and legal department to unravel ur identify and when U are found culpable of breaching our corporate right, U will hear from us....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by benzems(m): 8:20pm On May 22, 2019
Thank you let me withdraw all my money Union Bank them and keep in my kitchen
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Gerrard59(m): 8:25pm On May 22, 2019
TheMoniker:
grin
Let me tell you this story (True story o)
My friend was working at Access Bank customer care on the Lagos Island, having worked for 7 years without promotion (100k salary) they guy kinda tilt towards his family for help and some how he bought his first car at 36 years.
It shouldn’t surprise you that the guy was layed off!
Reason: “The salary we are paying you can’t enable you buy a car, you are living above your earning”
The Nigerian banks are taylored in a way that no matter how long you serve them you can’t make it so most of them have resulted into defrauding the banks.
How do you want someone seeing millions daily to earn 50k monthly? Are you so unfortunate!!! Even if him no steal money then go still sack am.

Another story grin
My SU brother toiled for UBA not having time for his family (Monday to Saturday) with masters degree, he worked for them for almost 8 years, that faithful day when him reach office them just hand am sack letter. Up till date he’s still miserable na him wife dey feed am. Will such person have another opportunity and not defraud?

You come across as a thief!

Do you know the gazillions of people who have access to humongous sums and are paid lowly yet don't steal? Do you want to be paid the same amount you deal with daily? If you don't like how much you're paid, resign!!!!

Besides, your post is false as Access Bank pays very well and is amongst the top five best paying bank. Even their contract staff are well paid.

Thief!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Jengem: 8:35pm On May 22, 2019
seun

lalasticlala

mynd44

mods please do not allow union bank to take this thread down
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Jengem: 8:36pm On May 22, 2019
Socsed:
My Tweet@ imodola to UBA this afternoon:
Hello! Is it a must everyone cheats? I just recieved 3 messages each deducting #52 for Card maintenance for MAY. Does that sound logical? You know that was how someone sent me #5000 and the message confirmed it but still in the same message you wrote, balance: #4600. Don't let me swear for you oo! Better refund my money now. My parents are struggling to sponsor me but it's now obvious you're an official scam. I await your response. That will determine if you should be cursed.
The more people rationalize cheating, the more it becomes a culture of dishonesty. And that can become a vicious, downward cycle. Because suddenly, if everyone else is cheating, you feel a need to cheat, too.
—Stephen Covey

these banks are so corrupt, by tomorrow this post may even have disappear

2 Likes

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by sowilli: 8:54pm On May 22, 2019
TheMoniker:
grin
My friend was working at Access Bank customer care on the Lagos Island, having worked for 7 years without promotion (100k salary) they guy kinda tilt towards his family for help and some how he bought his first car at 36 years.
Reason: “The salary we are paying you can’t enable you buy a car, you are living above your earning”
The Nigerian banks are taylored in a way that no matter how long you serve them you can’t make it so most of them have resulted into defrauding the banks.
How do you want someone seeing millions daily to earn 50k monthly? Are you so unfortunate!!! Even if him no steal money then go still sack am.

Another story grin
My SU brother toiled for UBA not having time for his family (Monday to Saturday) with masters degree, he worked for them for almost 8 years, that faithful day when him reach office them just hand am sack letter. Up till date he’s still miserable na him wife dey feed am. Will such person have another opportunity and not defraud?
but they will declare billions of profit after tax and not pay customers who are victims of fraud. I do tell people banks are a major part of the problems of this country
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by gnykelly(m): 9:45pm On May 22, 2019
scribble:

fear union bank. they are owned by capital alliance so they can get away with most of their shady dealings

Tell me more about capital alliance
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by oseluck: 9:47pm On May 22, 2019
This OP is obviously on a mission. You trying to tarnish the image of this great bank that have stood the test of time over the years. While union bank as a scale study? You even going far back as 1995 to make reference . Banks are the strength of a nation if you don't know, frauds happens eben6in banks in the developed world.
OP go get a life amd forget this mission of yours.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by gnykelly(m): 9:48pm On May 22, 2019
Torimaster:
Op kindly call 07007007000 Union Bank toll free line or WhatsApp 0907007007000 to report issues bothering on employee and customer fraud to our head office. U can also blow the whistle to KPMG Audit firm or CBN fraud and investigation Unit instead of trying to damage the bank's reputation. Mind you, I have forwarded ur post to our IT and legal department to unravel ur identify and when U are found culpable of breaching our corporate right, U will hear from us....

To hell with you... Every thing the Op posted is with evidence... Do you claim that they are not true

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Lush100(m): 9:49pm On May 22, 2019
gnykelly:
I made the bank my first choice after not being able to cope with Gtbank long line... With this kinda news hmmmmmnnnn.
Sir, the bank is good.
I've never had a problem with their transactions.
I use both.
I use them more.
Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Lush100(m): 10:04pm On May 22, 2019
gnykelly:

To hell with you... Every thing the Op posted is with evidence... Do you claim that they are not true

Maybe with reference not evidences.

Some issues are still in court , I am sure u know what it means to conclude before court final verdict.

Apply some caution sir
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Basher8583: 10:49pm On May 22, 2019
TheMoniker:
grin

Another story grin
Well if he tries it I can tell you for free that he will definitely be caught and jailed.
When he comes out he will never get a good paying job for the rest of his life. Is that good?
For you to think like this you must be a fraudster. Don't bother working in a bank. You will be caught as they lay baits for them randomly.
Ole. Na jail Las Las you go live. Barawo

2 Likes

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by TheMoniker: 10:54pm On May 22, 2019
Basher8583:

Well if he tries it I can tell you for free that he will definitely be caught and jailed.
When he comes out he will never get a good paying job for the rest of his life. Is that good?
For you to think like this you must be a fraudster. Don't bother working in a bank. You will be caught as they lay baits for them randomly.
Ole. Na jail Las Las you go live. Barawo
Lol. I earn a bit above $3k weekly with 3 days off so how on earth will I engage in anything fraudulent? Naija jobs ain’t sane to say the least it’s slave labour down there and the bank account are declaring millions of profit quarterly.
Again if I work in any naija bank, I will ruin the motherfûcking bank if they don’t treat me well
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by gnykelly(m): 11:14pm On May 22, 2019
Lush100:

Maybe with reference not evidences.

Some issues are still in court , I am sure u know what it means to conclude before court final verdict.

Apply some caution sir

No problem... But those crimes were actually committed
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by chosenwan1(m): 11:33pm On May 22, 2019
The truth is that many people blame yahoo boys, they forget that these so called thieves in suits (bankers) are the real fraudsters. If EFCC can focus on tackling corruption in banking sector only then can we truly say the fight against corruption is real. If you clean out the banks, cyber crime will also reduce.
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by mankettle(m): 12:53am On May 23, 2019
Martinez39:
Here is the topic: "Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study."

Hope it is clear?
this is a clear case of bad journalism.
if it was just a mere case study, he would have said...
I have observed the trend by the bank bla bla bla. instead of saying that the bank is a den of fraud
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by budaatum: 2:08am On May 23, 2019
macaranta:
OP you can actually be sued for this your half baked journalism.The defaulters were duly arrested, plus other banks have their own cases of fraudulent activities so I wonder why you're singling out just union bank
I wonder why he shouldn't! Don't you want people to know? From what I'm reading on this thread, if I steal millions and don't get caught I can post my thiefing story on here and gain friends! I don't even have to share it with them, though they'd hope, and I'd still be the girl! Shame, people! Shame!

Sue ko, susan ni!

1 Like

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by amb962(m): 7:41am On May 23, 2019
Burshh:
You obviously have something against the bank. Fraud will always be around banks as long as banks remain to be about money. Do not make this about a bank,Perpetration of fraud happen around all banks. .... To think Taint bad Union with these few examples belittles your analytical capacity.

I concur with your above submission. The guy has some things to grind out with Union Bank.

There was a fraud in one particular top three bank few years ago. it shook them to their roots that the retired owner MD did everything possible to make it not get to the media. There are also other cases that happened that he is not aware of.
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Basher8583: 10:12am On May 23, 2019
TheMoniker:

Lol. I earn a bit above $3k weekly with 3 days off so how on earth will I engage in anything fraudulent? Naija jobs ain’t sane to say the least it’s slave labour down there and the bank account are declaring millions of profit quarterly.
Again if I work in any naija bank, I will ruin the motherfûcking bank if they don’t treat me well

See bolded why I called you a Barawo.

And I hope your $3k weekly is not on selling crack on the street.

Ole. Trump will soon send you back home after spending quality time in US state prison
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by armadeo(m): 11:21am On May 23, 2019
TheMoniker:

You know who Wale Babalakin is? You know about Lagos-Ibadan first contract awarded? Bi Courtney?
Cecilia Ibru nko? Erastus Akinbola? Oh you must be living in the Nigeria Stone Age to believe EFCC as an organization is working in the interest of Nigerians.
This NFF guy nko?
Just don’t be unfortunate to steal less than 10million, if you can steal above that then you’ll buy off anything called justice.

Guy steal 1 billion from dangote and find out if you can buy justice.

My point is why steal problem. All those people stole company money or government money. The list showed people who stole from accounts of private individuals. E no go work.

You cannot remove money from a person's account and think you'll go Scot free.

Let me give an example years ago like 2007 a bank cleared a cheque for 500k. The owner called the bank and said he didnt issue out the cheque. Quick investigation verdict fraud. Bank paid up quick and the teonpeople involved had the finds deducted from thier salaries for not detecting the fraud.

Tell me how you in the bank wants to remove money and it wont bite you in the ass. I also heard of one dude that tan away with over 50m of depositors funds that use. He was caught 2 yrs later. Guess where he is now.

You cannot steal depositors funds in the bank as a banker oh. It's not possible jail awaits you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by armadeo(m): 11:30am On May 23, 2019
TheMoniker:

Your last statement reeks of self entitlement. If they dont treat you well move on. You are paid your worth according to the buyer if you feel you're worth more tell him to Bleep off and dont try to say it's his fault for not treating you well.

An offer was made and you accepted why the hate. If you djdnt like the offer why accept it. This is the major problem with employment kn this country. Things are hard, get a shitty job and start complaining. If we all said no to shitty pay, people will pay better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by franktalk007: 5:12am On May 24, 2019
Agya,

I think I know few things about internal control and compliance. This reply of mine is to educate you and maybe help you see things in their proper perspective.

In as much as Internal Control set up in a system helps to enforce compliance with policies, procedures and protect the business assets, they are deemed to be working and effective but when there are internal collaboration or connivance, it's practically hard to easily detect.

Control is also detective and preventive. So an internal person knows the policy and exploit the loopholes for his advantage then we are here to conclude that the system of control failed. That's generalization, only if we are close enough to see how many of such that this system of controls have frustrated, bursted and prevented.

Read more on fraud and internal control. Nigerian banks are also a fertile ground lately maybe because of harsh economic situations, individual greed, expensive lifestyle and family pressure but these are by no means a justification because I hold on to the fact that "A good name is better than gold or silver"

Charity begins from home, these bankers turned fraudster are our brothers and sisters. They lived among us in the society, we know them but our moral values and standard is compromised. Every Nigerian youth want to hit the jackpot overnight. - "Our main issue"

Until we address our value system, system of control will be at a serious threat not just in Union bank but across other Banks and in extension, the industry.

agya1:
It shows their Internal control/Compliance officers are not doing what they are paid to do else this fraud could be mitigated. I guess they're only interested in bullying and intimidating their fellow staff simply because they're compliance officers.

1 Like

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by franktalk007: 5:26am On May 24, 2019
Dear Imodola,

I think i understand your point and how you feel.

A second look at your screenshots provided me with a clue. You have two debit cards with UBA, maintenance fee is charged monthly per card.

If either of your cards is damaged, stolen or lost then please report to the bank, from that spot maintenance fee should stop on the reported card which I assumed would be hotlisted to avoid further usage.

Do have a nice day

Socsed:
My Tweet@ imodola to UBA this afternoon:
Hello! Is it a must everyone cheats? I just recieved 3 messages each deducting #52 for Card maintenance for MAY. Does that sound logical? You know that was how someone sent me #5000 and the message confirmed it but still in the same message you wrote, balance: #4600. Don't let me swear for you oo! Better refund my money now. My parents are struggling to sponsor me but it's now obvious you're an official scam. I await your response. That will determine if you should be cursed.
The more people rationalize cheating, the more it becomes a culture of dishonesty. And that can become a vicious, downward cycle. Because suddenly, if everyone else is cheating, you feel a need to cheat, too.
—Stephen Covey

1 Like

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by franktalk007: 5:31am On May 24, 2019
Another "Naira Marley" here.

How can we openly encourage wrong doings? We have lost it as a people with zero tolerance for dignity.

EFCC ability or inability does not give anyone the liberty to be criminal in action and inaction.

TheMoniker:

You know who Wale Babalakin is? You know about Lagos-Ibadan first contract awarded? Bi Courtney?
Cecilia Ibru nko? Erastus Akinbola? Oh you must be living in the Nigeria Stone Age to believe EFCC as an organization is working in the interest of Nigerians.
This NFF guy nko?
Just don’t be unfortunate to steal less than 10million, if you can steal above that then you’ll buy off anything called justice.
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by seunoj: 6:47am On May 24, 2019
franktalk007:

Another "Naira Marley" here.

How can we openly encourage wrong doings? We have lost it as a people with zero tolerance for dignity.

EFCC ability or inability does not give anyone the liberty to be criminal in action and inaction.

Well said.
All we need as a nation is to strengthen various institutions and proper structures and let them work independently. Everyone( politicians, Malay boys, robbers etc.) will advice themselves. U don't need to advice any1.
Until we have this, everyman go continue to hustle for himself (legal or illegally). Afterall, its either u get rich or die trying.
Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Socsed(m): 9:45am On May 24, 2019
franktalk007:

Dear Imodola,

I think u understand your point and how you feel.

A second look at your screenshots provided me with a clue. You have two debit cards with UBA, maintenance fee is charges monthly per card.

If either of your cards is damaged, stolen or lost then please report to the bank, from that spot maintenance fee should stop on the reported card which I assumed would be hotlisted to avoid further usage.

Do have a nice day

Thanks a lot. I had a talk with one of the Bank Customer services staff. He said the same thing.
I was though pretty annoyed when he said they won't be able to refund the money. It has been more than 6 months they've been deducting such. And they couldn't even inform. Didn't they know they were deducting twice?
Anyway, I pay appreciation for your accurate and appropriate information.
Remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by agya1: 3:45am On May 25, 2019
Well said, however these internal Control guys need to set their priorities right.
franktalk007:

Agya,
I think I know few things about internal control and compliance. This reply of mine is to educate you and maybe help you see things in their proper perspective.

In as much as Internal Control set up in a system helps to enforce compliance with policies, procedures and protect the business assets, they are deemed to be working and effective but when there are internal collaboration or connivance, it's practically hard to easily detect.

Control is also detective and preventive. So an internal person knows the policy and exploit the loopholes for his advantage then we are here to conclude that the system of control failed. That's generalization, only if we are close enough to see how many of such that this system of controls have frustrated, bursted and prevented.

Read more on fraud and internal control. Nigerian banks are also a fertile ground lately maybe because of harsh economic situations, individual greed, expensive lifestyle and family pressure but these are by no means a justification because I hold on to the fact that "A good name is better than gold or silver"

Charity begins from home, these bankers turned fraudster are our brothers and sisters. They lived among us in the society, we know them but our moral values and standard is compromised. Every Nigerian youth want to hit the jackpot overnight. - "Our main issue"

Until we address our value system, system of control will be at a serious threat not just in Union bank but across other Banks and in extension, the industry.

Re: Fraud In Corporate Nigeria: Union Bank As A Case Study by Babadimimu2019: 10:52am On Jun 04, 2019
9jaArea:
Terrible

Union bank offered me a loan for 36% I think this is fraudulent too.

Try all this microfinance banks, and get the loan for close to 54% then you will know, moreso you read the offer letter with the interest rate contained in it, yet you did not decline the offer. Nigerians I hail thee

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Banking Industry Seen in ‘Full-Blown’ Credit Crisis / Data Shows CBN Not Defending Naira With FX Reserves - Businessday / Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.