Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? (8529 Views)

What Is Knocked Engine / Windscreen Crack- Repair Or Replace? / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 3:51pm On May 27, 2019
Hello Guys.

let me get straight to it.

The engine of my generator an ELEPAQ/2.9kva got knocked due to negligence.

Please advise as my generator repairman is giving me four options:

1. To repair the knocked engine - 15,000
2. Replace the engine - 20,000 (according to him may likely smoke in a week)
3. Replace the engine - 31000 (according to him a better option)
4. Replace the engine - 45000 (according to him the best option)

I want to work on the engine - Is that a mistake?
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by thesicilian: 3:55pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:
Hello Guys.

How much is a brand new generator?
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 3:56pm On May 27, 2019
thesicilian:

How much is a brand new generator?

95/110k
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by Planet3xi: 3:57pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:
Hello Guys.

Engines don't get repaired. Cause the shaft is broken and can't be glued

It leaves these options

Buy a tokunbo replacement generator

Or

Buy another engine.

Imagine spending 45k to repair a gen and put it back on good conditioill rather buy engine for 20k and spend 55-60k to get a tokunbo engine this way I'll have two generators grin

Makes sense to me.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by thesicilian: 3:59pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:

95/110k
That's high.
Assuming you can't afford or don't want to get a new one, the best option will be to get a second opinion from another good repairman, and go for the one that will give you the most peace of mind later on.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 3:59pm On May 27, 2019
Planet3xi:

Engines don't get repaired. Cause the shaft is broken and can't be glued

It leaves these options

Buy a tokunbo replacement generator

Or

Buy another engine.

^^^^
Thanks for your advice
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by Planet3xi: 4:00pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:

^^^^
Thanks for your advice

Uw Boss. Check Jiji and clearance sales section here you'll see mouthwatering prices for almost unused generators
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 4:02pm On May 27, 2019
thesicilian:

That's high.
Assuming you can't afford or don't want to get a new one, the best option will be to get a second opinion from another good repairman, and go for the one that will give you the most peace of mind later on.

^^^
Good advice. Do you have a good genman you can recommend?
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by daddytime(m): 4:14pm On May 27, 2019
Your repair man is a thief which is very evident from the way he gave you a good, better and best options.

Very typical of Nigerian handy men.

My advise is for you to note your engine model and make, go to a gen shop yourself buy the engine and get it fixed.

You got yourself a minimum of a tokunboh Gen at least.

I trust myself Sha..na me go couple am myself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by Davash222(m): 4:15pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:

95/110k
How can Elepaq 2.9kva be up to 95K

It's way below that. Verify from another source please.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by adanny01(m): 5:36pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:
Hello Guys.

I have 2 generators, never been repaired. Both 1 year rarely used and both packed in the store for 2yrs now. My area has at least 22h of electricity. The small one was used for a week last week when our transformer broke down. Its back to the store. I have the 2 because i used to live apart from my family.

1st is Fireman 3990ES for N60k
2nd is Sumec 2500 for N35k

You are better off with one of these than any repair can guarantee you. Mind you am selling only of them.

We can talk waybill if you are interested.

2 Likes

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by nurey(m): 5:36pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:
Hello Guys.

your engine knocked and what would spoil is

1. Your piston and the housing is gone

2. the OHV housing (that is where two metals and some springs are) I don't know the name of those things.

The complete piston and case housing is 8k for confirm, the OHV metals are around 2500 naira cause they would have broken the piston cylinder.

That's 10500, you will need fresh oil that's all.

He should go to the market with the piston and engine block so the piston he buys fits well into the new block or if the old block is still good, he would probably buy 1.5 piston and then sand paper it to fit nicely into the block and your generator is back online.

went through this sane shit last year November or so and my generator has never given me fault again.

1 Like

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by adanny01(m): 5:51pm On May 27, 2019
nurey:

your engine knocked and what would spoil is

1. Your piston and the housing is gone

2. the OHV housing (that is where two metals and some springs are) I don't know the name of those things.

The complete piston and case housing is 8k for confirm, the OHV metals are around 2500 naira cause they would have broken the piston cylinder.

That's 10500, you will need fresh oil that's all.

He should go to the market with the piston and engine block so the piston he buys fits well into the new block or if the old block is still good, he would probably buy 1.5 piston and then sand paper it to fit nicely into the block and your generator is back online.

went through this sane shit last year November or so and my generator has never given me fault again.

Bros, its easy to do that math. When you go through the repair process, you will end up with almost 20k. 2 months later, you will have a smoking engine making so much noise and sucking engine oil.

I have been there done all that. I got the 2 gens advertised above after such processes countless of times.

2 Likes

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by nurey(m): 5:56pm On May 27, 2019
adanny01:

Bros, its easy to do that math. When you go through the repair process, you will end up with almost 20k. 2 months later, you will have a smoking engine making so much noise and sucking engine oil.

I have been there done all that. I got the 2 gens advertised above after such processes countless of times.

I did mine last year that's why I can still remember the price and the piston size and the generator is a workaholic sometimes 8hrs non stop, it doesn't smoke.
As long as he changes those parts and they are the real deal he is good to go.

Also those jumia and konga generator one needs to be careful, the Elemax I bought since 2009 is still functioning and it was 35k brand-new it was a China clone but quality

2 Likes

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 7:46pm On May 27, 2019
Davash222:

How can Elepaq 2.9kva be up to 95K

It's way below that. Verify from another source please.

Attached is a picture of the gen.

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 7:49pm On May 27, 2019
adanny01:

I have 2 generators, never been repaired. Both 1 year rarely used and both packed in the store for 2yrs now. My area has at least 22h of electricity. The small one was used for a week last week when our transformer broke down. Its back to the store. I have the 2 because i used to live apart from my family.

You are better off with one of these than any repair can guarantee you. Mind you am selling only of them.

^^^
Whats your location.
Last price of the sumec
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by adanny01(m): 7:54pm On May 27, 2019
calabaman:

^^^
Whats your location.
Last price of the sumec

Abj
Do your math and you'll see its the best you can get.

If you really are interested, i would put fuel and do a video for you to confirm. The sumec started one kick after almost 2yrs.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by oblo(m): 5:48am On May 28, 2019
What's your location @ calabar man.? If in Lagos I could assist.

Three options...

Overhaul the engine with genuine parts easy peasy.. For me that is depending on what extent of damage.. Sometimes the block is affected.

Buy a new engine.

or get the other gen advertised by adanny(factor the waybill cost).. The gen is a good one.. And price fair.. But do your market survey first..
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by Planet3xi: 7:03am On May 28, 2019
calabaman:

^^^
Whats your location.
Last price of the sumec

Upload pic and videos of both
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by Planet3xi: 7:06am On May 28, 2019
calabaman:

^^^
Good advice. Do you have a good genman you can recommend?

O can recommend a good gen man around badore
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by TPound(m): 7:51am On May 28, 2019
adanny01:

Where's your location
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 7:56am On May 28, 2019
Planet3xi:

O can recommend a good gen man around badore

Excellent - I stay in Sangotedo.

Please could I have his number.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 7:57am On May 28, 2019
oblo:
What's your location @ calabar man.? If in Lagos I could assist.

Three options...

Overhaul the engine with genuine parts easy peasy.. For me that is depending on what extent of damage.. Sometimes the block is affected.

Buy a new engine.

or get the other gen advertised by adanny(factor the waybill cost).. The gen is a good one.. And price fair.. But do your market survey first..

^^
Sangotedo Ajah
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by calabaman(m): 7:57am On May 28, 2019
adanny01:

Abj
Do your math and you'll see its the best you can get.

If you really are interested, i would put fuel and do a video for you to confirm. The sumec started one kick after almost 2yrs.

^^
Am in lagos boss.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by Planet3xi: 8:00am On May 28, 2019
calabaman:

Excellent - I stay in Sangotedo.

Please could I have his number.

I don't have it o. Just take a ride to badore ado road. Drop at ado round about. His shop is vividly at the bus stop on the left. He has like 10 boys and his services are affordable. You can't miss him
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by adanny01(m): 3:03pm On May 28, 2019
calabaman:

^^
Am in lagos boss.

My neighbor works in Lagos and is on leave right now, my guess is he will return by this weekend.

See their dirty actual pictures in store.

The only problem with the big one is dead battery.

Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by adanny01(m): 4:03pm On May 28, 2019
calabaman:

Attached is a picture of the gen.

I had this type, the sumec firman version, which i replaced with the firman i am selling.

The smaller Sumec replaced my tiger 2900. That Tiger gave me tough times.
Re: Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? by adanny01(m): 7:25pm On Jun 02, 2019
calabaman:

^^
Am in lagos boss.

Sold

(1) (Reply)

Does Third Party Insurance Work In Nigeria? / Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 / Choosing The Right Oil For Your Car!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.