Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly (28246 Views)

Paytv Price Hike; A Better Alternative Is Here. / NANS Gives Multi-choice Company Seven Days To Begin Pay-as-you-view Billing Or.. / Much Ado About TSTV- The Epic And Monumental Fail Of Paytv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by 2mercy: 5:01am On May 30, 2019
NextTv, a new media and entertainment platform, is set to challenge the monopoly enjoyed by South Africa’s Multichoice Digital Satellite TV’s (DStv) monopoly in Nigeria’s payTV market. The platform, a joint venture partnership between Nigus International, Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited (NIGCOMSAT) and China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC) pledged to make satellite television affordable with quality service delivery.

Under the new arrangement, Nigus International will be the lead partner holding a 75 percent equity stake, while NigComSat holds 15 percent equity and CGWIC holding 10 percent equity stake.

The Minister of Communication, Adebayo Shittu, while speaking at the launch of the satellite service provider to the NigComSat Direct-To-Home (DTH) platform in Abuja, urged Nigerians to patronise and invest in the company. ADVERTISEMENT He said the partnership within the next few years would produce about 1.5 million set-up boxes and in doing that many more Nigerians will get jobs.

He assured management of the satellite television of government’s support to ensure that the new partnership makes huge entry into the market. Executive Chairman of NextTV, Mr. Malik Ado-Ibrahim, said, “We have flexibility from the market giving us tremendous opening to reach large number of people.

So we are very comfortable that Nigerians and Africa in general would be able to access our service and get quality entertainment contents. “NexTV is not just about entertainment but satellite communication, broadband connectivity and accessing digital content through different platform across Africa.

That is why we launched the OGT service and i think that is where we are going to be successful. There is mobility where you don’t need a TV but a smartphone to access contents,” Ado-Ibrahim said. Related NIGCOMSAT launches Direct-to-Home services Satellite: FG moves to stop N720bn annual loss NITDA seeks closer ties with NigComSat.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/nigcomsat-others-to-begin-new-paytv-break-dstv-monopoly.html

8 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by seunlayi(m): 5:04am On May 30, 2019
God, help and deliver from my present financial predicament so that I will be able to witness the emergence of this new TV

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by odave: 5:05am On May 30, 2019
Una don start again o, empty promise don start again o. Na so talk talk una Sabi, hitv and the premature TSTV comes to mind, if u know u know...

152 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by seuncyber(m): 6:35am On May 30, 2019
Story for the gods

12 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Flyingngel(m): 6:44am On May 30, 2019
It is a welcome development but this is Nigeria.
Before one year elapsed all the equipments will be sold and a fake one is bought as replacement.
Then 95 percent of the revenue will be embezzle through phony contracts and deals.
Welcome to Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by wristbangle: 6:46am On May 30, 2019
Until it is implemented and service goes life, I would take this as mere rumours.

This minister of communication lacks technical know-how to handle a sensitive position as this.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Mowoe(m): 6:49am On May 30, 2019
Leeme keep quiet! My boss is still asking for the TSTV i boasted so much about

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Nbote(m): 6:51am On May 30, 2019
Una don start... Dat was how U ppl first made noise about startimes and den it turned out to b a gathering of all d NTAs in d world. And den HiTV and TSTV came along and U ppl frustrated dem out of d market. Dis one na Chinese free to air and church channels go full am

94 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by LibertyRep: 6:51am On May 30, 2019
What profit thou to raise Nigerians' hope and then dash it.
Some have not recovered from the heartbreak TSTV brought with the hype.
Competition is good for the advatange of the masses but hey, ensure you cross your t's and dot your i's before coming to the public with false hope.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by ThePreachersSon: 7:38am On May 30, 2019
Na Dem

2 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by 9jaArea: 7:55am On May 30, 2019
Make it work
Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by honest1480(m): 8:11am On May 30, 2019
Good plan.
Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Nobody: 8:11am On May 30, 2019
Where is tstv

6 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Kreamie(m): 8:11am On May 30, 2019
Remind me, Where’s TSTV again?

7 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by calddon(m): 8:12am On May 30, 2019
A very positive development if truly implemented.

DStv is becoming a nuisance, upgrading people from a cheaper plan to a more expensive one at will. angry

8 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by jetz(m): 8:12am On May 30, 2019
Tstv did same and broke our hearts biko

2 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:12am On May 30, 2019
My people, what happened to KWESE TV

2 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by sotall(m): 8:12am On May 30, 2019
Story
Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by tstx(m): 8:13am On May 30, 2019
Story story o story story story story story o

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by QuickStandard: 8:13am On May 30, 2019
Where's TSTV.

After all the hypes, nothing.

Abegi, make dem start operation before all this yannings

We buy used inverter batteries

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by tunwumi: 8:13am On May 30, 2019
Yawning please wake me up when this dream is over.
Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by igbsam(m): 8:14am On May 30, 2019
Story....where is TSTV that made so much noise. Mtcheeeeew
Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:14am On May 30, 2019
We hope something positive comes out of this....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by aku626(m): 8:14am On May 30, 2019
If they’d some concrete plans they’d have started before announcing, what good is this awareness? Many have tried needless to mention names here.
The govt is solidly behind the monopoly of DSTV even at the demise of local stations and others.

3 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by kuntash: 8:15am On May 30, 2019
odave:
Una don start again o, empty promise don start again o. Na so talk talk una Sabi, hitv and the premature TSTV comes to mind, if u know u know...

I wouldnt blame you my dear,

however, unless you reap some goodies from multichoice with their draconian style of biz, - You should accept and welcome anything that breaks that seeming monopoly in that sector ..

Its a welcomed thought for me !

2 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by JimohMomoh: 8:15am On May 30, 2019
They should have launched before going to the press.
They risked been sabotaged.

Any PayTv that can't air the English Premier League cannot dominate the Nigerian/African market. Sports betting and Quality content makes a lot of fans in Africa to be addicted to the EPL.
Salah is like a god in Egypt because of EPL , Mane has millions of crazy fans in Senegal because of EPL.
Gabon, Algeria,SouthAfrica, Ghana etc have die hard fan for EPL.

My suggestion is let the management of NexTv use PayAsYouGo model and see if they can win/lure housewives that love Nollywood/Bollywood or old men that watch News to buy their decoders.

7 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by udemzyudex(m): 8:15am On May 30, 2019
Story for the gods, take all them serious at your own peril.
Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Nobody: 8:15am On May 30, 2019
Nbote:
Una don start... Dat was how U ppl first made noise about startimes and den it turned out to b a gathering of all d NTAs in d world. And den HiTV and TSTV came along and U ppl frustrated dem out of d market. Dis one na Chinese free to air and church channels go full am
Startimes is good though.

7 Likes

Re: NIGCOMSAT, Others To Begin New Paytv, Break DSTV Monopoly by Pidginwhisper: 8:15am On May 30, 2019
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Nini And Cross Fight / Big Brother Naija 2019 Holds After Elections And Inaugurations / BBNaija: Why I Decided To Date Nina – Miracle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.