Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,420 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

The Aim Of The Noah's Flood - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Aim Of The Noah's Flood (3867 Views)

6 Billion World Population Before Noah's Flood? / Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness? / Expose Into The Real Reasons For Noah's Flood Missing From The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by mazaje(m): 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2010
According to the bible men were once so sinful and disobedient to God to the extent that God had to wipe them all off (except for Noah and his family) and started a fresh. . . .So what exactly did the Noah's flood achieve since men continued to sin and be disobedient to the same God very shortly after the flood, to the extent that God according to the bible some times comes down himself to fight and kill the disobedient and sinful men himself? What EXACTLY did the Noah's flood achieve? I am assuming here that the story was real and not fictional. . . . .
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by vescucci(m): 5:07pm On Sep 28, 2010
Nil. Nada. Zilch. The other thread is sufficient na, Mazaje
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by PastorAIO: 5:31pm On Sep 28, 2010
This one is about Noah. The other one is about Sodium Hydroxide
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by Rhino3dm: 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2010
^^ IMO they may look similar but not thesame. . . Looking from another angle.
 so, i cant  wait to start reading. . .  and then the pleasure will be mine. Lol.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by mazaje(m): 5:40pm On Sep 28, 2010
^^

Mallam yane? ka share ni kuwana kin nan kuwa. . . . .Mai labari ne mazaaaaaaa?
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by PastorAIO: 5:41pm On Sep 28, 2010
Maza buzu waza bazooka joe!
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by mazaje(m): 5:50pm On Sep 28, 2010
^^

You dey vex ohhh. . . .
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by PastorAIO: 5:52pm On Sep 28, 2010
leave me jor. I dey speak in tongues of men and angels.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by vescucci(m): 5:55pm On Sep 28, 2010
Unfortunately, if I perceive our collective dispositions on this matter correctly, this won't be fun. What's the use of a buncha buzus who agree with each other? Go ye forth and find a dissenter
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by Rhino3dm: 6:03pm On Sep 28, 2010
^^maza!
Kana buran uba! Ka burge ni daka cimun uban shegen nan wai shi (code name :dauda) shekaran  jiya. Ina lafiya. Na sami wani offre  a UK. Idan mun daidaita terms and conditions, sai na karasu mun gaisa. Ka na mashi. Alaji.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 6:28pm On Sep 28, 2010
vescucci:

Unfortunately, if I perceive our collective dispositions on this matter correctly, this won't be fun. What's the use of a buncha buzus who agree with each other? Go ye forth and find a dissenter

The truth is that you will find no dissenters showing up because it is impossible to defend this one.

One look at the world today, and it emerges forcefull that that flood was useless - at least as conceptually defined to the extent that its purpose was to eliminate sinners.

I do not entirely discountenance the possibility of a global deluge. There are three reasons for this -

1. Sea shells have been found on mountain tops. It is not inconceivable that in an era gone by, the sea level was simply much higher than it is today.

2. The quantity of water locked up in the polar regions as ice would easily cause a major global deluge if the temperature was significantly higher. At any point in time and on account of a galaxy of possible reasons, the temperature could have been (and in fact has been) intolerably high leading to various natural disasters.

3. The flood myth is so terribly ubiquituous in folk lore around the world that there is a suggestion that in a forgotten age such a trauma may have taken place.

So these are posers. . .yet we cannot say for sure that such a thing happened.

With respect to the purpose of the flood, as described by the bible, that purpose is just hilarious, given teh state of the world post-flood.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by mazaje(m): 6:43pm On Sep 28, 2010
Deep Sight:

I do not entirely discountenance the possibility of a global deluge. There are three reasons for this -

1. Sea shells have been found on mountain tops. It is not inconceivable that in an era gone by, the sea level was simply much higher than it is today.

I believe you need to study mountain formation, the mountain tops you see were once normal lands that were elevated, as the land rises due to plate tectonics they fossilized materials like sea shells and other stuff that were already fossilized remain within them . . . . .Here is a simple video that explains mountain formation. . . .

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngV66m00UvU?fs=1&hl=en_US"[/flash]
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 6:47pm On Sep 28, 2010
^^^ That is very well known. Like I did say, we cannot know for sure if there was ever a global flood. What I did mention are mere posers and the possibility you mentioned, whilst legitimate does not operate to rule out other possibilities, or does it?
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by mazaje(m): 6:51pm On Sep 28, 2010
Deep Sight:

^^^ That is very well known. Like I did say, we cannot know for sure if there was ever a global flood. What I did mention are mere posers and the possibility you mentioned, whilst legitimate does not operate to rule out other possibilities, or does it?

Do you know what a global flood means?. . . .There is no science that can explain a global flood of that magnitude, for example where did all the water come from and where did it all go to?. . . . .A flood that will cover the entire earth including all the mountain tops is impossible in reality unless in stories. . . . . .
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 6:52pm On Sep 28, 2010
In addittion, how do you explain the extra-ordinary wide spread of the flood myth across a startling array of cultures and civilizations?

Look here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah's_flood#Jewish

When a myth is that wide spread, ya gotta excercise caution in categorizing it as false.

In my view, the only way you could do that would be to show compelling scientific evidence that it is impossible given the planetray engineering of the earth.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 6:55pm On Sep 28, 2010
mazaje:

There is no science that can explain a global flood of that magnitude, for example where did all the water come from and where did it all go to?. . . . .

Polar ice caps. That's your answer. Its an intriguing possibility.

If today global warming was accelerated, or there was global heat caused in another fashion - what do you think will happen if all the polar ice were to melt?

Men, that will be doomsday o. Better recognise.

A flood that will cover the entire earth including all the mountain tops is impossible in reality unless in stories. . . . . .

What is your scientific evidence for this assertion?
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ice Age -

An "ice age" or, more precisely, "glacial age" is a generic geological period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of extra cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations"wink, and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials". Glaciologically, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres;[1] by this definition we are still in the ice age that began at the start of the Pleistocene (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).[2]
More colloquially, "the ice age" refers to the most recent colder period that peaked at the Last Glacial Maximum approximately 20,000 years ago, in which extensive ice sheets lay over large parts of the North American and Eurasian continents. This article will use the term ice age in the former, glaciological, sense: glacials' for colder periods during ice ages and interglacials for the warmer periods.

Mazaje DO you deny that the meltdown at the end of an ice age can cause a global deluge?

Have a look at this image - that's a freaking load of ice, and you can't imagine the scale of deluge that its meltdown would cause -

What will happen to the sea level if the ice pointed by the arrow melts into the ocean? ? ?

Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by UyiIredia(m): 7:26pm On Sep 28, 2010
@ mazaje (answer to your question) >>> to start afresh with humanity >>> but there is an insight i would like to give
               >>> when i read passages like that especially on the dilemma of God's holiness & mans sinfulness >>> i view it through the mirror of
               _submetaphorically_a child's (me) relationship to his father.
               >>> a parent has his plan & purpose or vision of his ideal child but this is oft not in tandem with that of the child's this causes an
               impasse, which eventually becomes more pronounced during the child's teen years >>> the child 'sins' in that he strays from his father's ideals
               but no matter how harsh the parent/child acts, feels or behaves the love for one's parent/child is still there. In my case i never thought i really
               loved my Dad till he came down with a partial stroke >>> then, i realized that i cared for him >>> more than i wished to admit

i could go into more (personal) details >>> using examples from my own life but my above 'metaphor' should suffice

bringing it back to the case of Noah >>> (i recall that coincidentally, i was reading the passage early this morning) >>> it should dawn that the killings
               & wiping out of whole tribes as it were didn't mean God love them less >>> to be candid, i myself don't understand the reason for some of His killings
               but then >>> what can I say >>> did i even make or will myself into existence >>> in the song by Dido >> my life (as it were) is for rent

DISCLAIMER >>> if u think i'm trying to play an emotional beseech>>> as Matt Dillahaunty (on Atheist Experience talks about) >>>
                                   >>> u are seriously mistaken  undecided >>> i simply made my answer & expatiation on it as factual & down-to-earth as possible
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by InesQor(m): 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2010
@mazaje:

What did the flood achieve? It achieved a pattern: an example.

It set forth a prophetic example of the salvation of Christ
. Christ, in fact, alluded to this when he warned that the Last Days would be like the days of Noah.

Interesting enough, Enoch's son was called Methuselah. Enoch was a man who was known for being very close to God, and he named his son Methuselah: meaning "When he dies the end comes". I do not know if Methuselah lived for God (in fact I have personal reasons to think not-so) but Methuselah's life, the whole 969 years, was a loooong warning from God but finally, Methuselah's time was up and the end came. Noah was Methuselah's grandson.

Besides, it also started the process that is culminated in the now-familiar continental drifts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but God DID NOT say he was going to put an end to sin. What he said was that he was going to destroy all mankind except for Noah and his family and the animals in the ark. And he did just that.

As for the permanence or temporariness, one thing you can't deny is that God made man with the ability to have a choice. IF man has a choice, then God can't wipe all of mankind out and keep them pure eternally except they CHOOSE to be as such.

He wasn't going to force man's hand by giving him no choice after the flood cos he wanted a perfect world.

Such a choice is made today in Christ's sacrifice. A willing choice to go into the ark again.

Be blessed.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by vescucci(m): 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2010
Kai. I'm sorry I just gotta ask. Do you believe in the genealogy from Adam to Christ as depicted in the bible literally?
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by InesQor(m): 8:27pm On Sep 28, 2010
@vescucci :
vescucci:

Kai. I'm sorry I just gotta ask. Do you believe in the genealogy from Adam to Christ as depicted in the bible literally?
You should be clear, bro. Which of the genealogies? The fact that they are not both equal should  tell you something.

Here's a quote by Martin Luther

The Devil begat darkness; darkness begat ignorance; ignorance begat error and his brethren; error begat free- will and presumption; free-will begat works; works begat forgetfulness of God; forgetfulness begat transgression; transgression begat superstition; superstition begat satisfaction; satisfaction begat the mass-offering; the mass-offering begat the priest; the priest begat unbelief; unbelief begat hypocrisy; hypocrisy begat traffic in offerings for gain; traffic in offerings for gain begat Purgatory; Purgatory begat the annual solemn vigils; the annual vigils begat church-livings; church-livings begat avarice; avarice begat swelling superfluity; swelling superfluity begat fulness; fulness begat rage; rage begat license; license begat empire and domination; domination begat pomp; pomp begat ambition; ambition begat simony; simony begat the pope and his brethren, about the time of the Babylonish captivity.

I hope you see the point. The ancient word "begat" does not necessarily mean a direct parenthood.

Etmyology: Begat:
bef. 1000;  ME begeten  ( see be-, get); r. ME biyeten,  OE begetan;  c. Goth bigitan,  OHG bigezzan
Meaning: occasion, engender, effect, generate.

Adam GENERATED the seed after him, leading through paths to David, who GENERATED the seed after him. . . etc etc

It describes descendants of Adam, and links Christ through the generations, showing how God chose select people to line up and produce the Messiah. I believe (as Jewish tradition too has shown) there are some members (though in the minority by number) who were listed in the genealogy but were RELATED to the genealogy and were not necessarily direct ascendants or ancestors.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is what I believe.

Thanks
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by vescucci(m): 8:40pm On Sep 28, 2010
You and Nuke have a habit of saying 'this is my opinion, what I believe etc' that I find most endearing. Some people will speculate with certitude that I find most off putting. You've answered my question anyway with another escape artist explanation lol. Whilst I think the explanation is a tad suspect, I'm contented to know you don't accept the genealogy (pick one) literally.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 9:03pm On Sep 28, 2010
InesQor:

@vescucci : You should be clear, bro. Which of the genealogies? The fact that they are not both equal should tell you something.

Here's a quote by Martin Luther
I hope you see the point. The ancient word "begat" does not necessarily mean a direct parenthood.

Etmyology: Begat:
bef. 1000; ME begeten ( see be-, get); r. ME biyeten, OE begetan; c. Goth bigitan, OHG bigezzan
Meaning: occasion, engender, effect, generate.

Adam GENERATED the seed after him, leading through paths to David, who GENERATED the seed after him. . . etc etc

It describes descendants of Adam, and links Christ through the generations, showing how God chose select people to line up and produce the Messiah. I believe (as Jewish tradition too has shown) there are some members (though in the minority by number) who were listed in the genealogy but were RELATED to the genealogy and were not necessarily direct ascendants or ancestors.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is what I believe.

Thanks

Jesus wept. Another terrible concocted excuse.

The plain fact that within the genealogy SEVERAL direct parents are mentioned in the context of the use puts paid to this excuse of yours.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by InesQor(m): 9:11pm On Sep 28, 2010
@vescuscci: What escape artist explanation? Please clarify and I will say what I believe in. #okYeahThanksBye

@Deep Sight: Several direct parents were definitely mentioned. Did you see this?

I believe (as Jewish tradition too has shown) there are some members ([size=28pt]though in the minority by number[/size])

or do you NOT understand "minority" OR you only read what you wanted to see?

You are always too ready to jump headlong into these things. Na wa for you sef. undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by InesQor(m): 9:13pm On Sep 28, 2010
@vescucci: There are symbolic reasons why the genealogy of Matthew was written as it is. The fact that you ask shows that you have an idea. Cheers.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by DeepSight(m): 9:15pm On Sep 28, 2010
If you accept what you have accepted, then you have no reason for presuming that "begat" did not refer to direct parenthood.

The only reason I can see is your desire to create an excuse for a genealogy that you fear does not add up.

Or can you advance a logical reason?
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by InesQor(m): 9:30pm On Sep 28, 2010
I have no such fear about inconsistency. Even without the genealogy, I believe, because I have evidence in personal experiences. As someone once said here on NL, you cant argue with a woman who just gave birth and say she was never pregnant.

The genealogy is not there to teach you history, any more than the ages from Adam to now are there to calculate the age of the universe.

There is a simple message in the genealogy: Jesus, according to the flesh, came out from amongst us. God brings the very best out of a gamut of perfection and imperfection. Thats the message.

In Jewish traditional oral narratives, like with this genealogy, the message is far more important than the words employed. See the parables of Jesus for better perspective.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by vescucci(m): 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
since you asked. About the genealogy thing, I've heard that one writer emphasized on the line through Joseph (the proper Jewish thing to do I think) and the other through Mary. Joseph is virtually irrelevant if you believe in the virgin birth which I do not. I'd say more but it'll be going off on a tangent.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by InesQor(m): 10:21pm On Sep 28, 2010
@vescucci: My point exactly. By focusing on Joseph by jewish tradition, Matthew does not list direct ancestors. But the genealogies are not too far apart cos Joseph and Mary were distant relatives as can be expected in Jewish intramarriages. Either way, the message is the emphasis.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by nopuqeater: 10:29pm On Sep 28, 2010
If you atheists were to ask the muslims this very Question, we would have answered it.

mazaje it is in the Quran. You will find your answer, from Surah Huud, Yunus, Ambiyya and definitely in Nuh.

You will see it there, in probably from the first 10 verses.
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by vescucci(m): 10:37pm On Sep 28, 2010
Yeah, well, I really don't wanna disillusion you. Belief is held like a treasure sometimes. Only oneself can convince oneself. Stuff will fall like a pack of cards. I've not given the thing much thought but telling you why I do not believe in EITHER genealogy will just derail the thread further. I just heaved a sigh you don't think the world is six millenia old. I'm satisfied with that for now. But I like some of your explanations on things, lol. Maybe you should open a thread to address the more common bible inconsistencies?

@nopuqeater, we'll just have to wait till they ask you, won't we?
Re: The Aim Of The Noah's Flood by denitro(m): 10:56pm On Sep 28, 2010
Soon God will send down another flood in Aba if GEJ doesn't feel concerned about what is happening to the innocent ones there.
When a few individual (Kidnappers) decide to force down their iniquities on the entire populace and deny them their God given free gift of free agency of choosing to live in peace or fear.
THEN THEY (KIDNAPPERS, GOVERNMENT IN ABIA, POLITICIANS) ARE RIPE FOR DESTRUCTION AND THE LAND CLEANSED.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 140000 Are The only Ones To Go To Heaven? / . / When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.