Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,243 members, 7,822,253 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" (1495 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" by dblock(m): 6:28pm On May 05, 2007
[U]Why do Nigerians abroad always conveniently refer to Nigeria as "That Country"[/U]

I always see Nigerians in Diaspora refering to Nigeria as "That County".

[U]Examples[/U]
The only way "That country" can change is blah blah blah

"That Country" Is a different story

Things always amazes me in "That Country"

I find it disturbing that fellow Nigerians can speak as though they were Foriegners. Shey Omo Oyibo ni yin? angry

That Country, that country, Is it not your country angry angry

Have we sunk so low that we cannot accept our place as citizens of this Great country. If we find this country tough, that doesn't make the country any less Wondeful. And if we do have issues with the country can't we at least have the Decency  to refrain from using a deregulatory termlike "That Country"

Must we delude ourselves and persist with our Egoistic ways angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" by Seun(m): 6:36pm On May 05, 2007
Funny enough, I thought "Naija" was the word they used.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 05, 2007
Seun:

Funny enough, I thought "Naija" was the word they used.

Only on the forum. Outside Nigerians are quick to distance themselves from their country and Africa as a whole. I had an argument with my uncle the other day on running a business in Nigeria. He is of the oppinion that things are sooo bad he can NEVER think of investing in the country. . . and that makes me wonder, if Americans behaved like this, would we have a place to run to? If Nigerians are so negative about their own nation simply because Americans have pitifully handed them blue passports, who will develop our country? Ghanaians?

The other day my uncle said he was immensely grateful that his children schooled in the USA and i kept wondering . . . i did almost all my schooling in Nigeria, even attending public schools and without mincing words not ONE of his children is would ever beat me in any exam. My brother scored almost double what my cousin had on her SAT and yet she schooled in the USA! What a shame!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 07, 2007
I"ve noticed that too and I feel sorry for Nigerians that refer to our homeland as "that country" and go ahead and criticise naija like it's the worst place on earth,it's a case of inferiority complex.
I may not be happy with the state of Nigeria but it is my home and will never be "that country "to me
I may have used the term myself on rare ocassions but I know it's not right.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Conveniently Refer To Nigeria As "that Country" by onyeigbo(m): 7:39am On Jul 10, 2007
I"ve noticed that too and I feel sorry for Nigerians that refer to our homeland as "that country" and go ahead and criticise naija like it's the worst place on earth,it's a case of inferiority complex.
I may not be happy with the state of Nigeria but it is my home and will never be "that country "to me
I may have used the term myself on rare ocassions but I know it's not right.

I think the problem is that Nigerians who emigrate to the US and after being here for a while adopt the ideologies and mindsets of the typical american.mention the word "AFRICA" to an american in the street and the person will respond as if "AFRICA" is a "COUNTRY" that is located somewhere very,very far from the US and the people who live there are savages,primitive and under-developed.some Nigerians for one reason or the other are quick to echo those same sentiments and even start refering to their own homeland in the same manner.some africans/nigerians even go as far as describing africa more negatively than the american media giving people the impression that the way africa is portrayed on tv by the american media is based on facts/reality.granted that nigeria has a lot of problems that still persist and hinder progress and development,but some nigerians are quick to magnify the problems to a certain extent painting the whole country with one brush stroke.i believe that nigeria possesses a lot of potential if only we(nigerians) would care enough and start contributing towards achieving economic greatness and developing that potential that has been ignored by incompetent and inefficient "LEADERS".I don't intend to jump on the bandwagon and consider nigeria a write-off just yet. grin

(1) (Reply)

Tier 4 Refusal (i Need Help Ooo) / Renewing My E-passport / Fatal Accident At Felele Along Okene-abuja Highway, Lokoja (graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.