Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor (1987 Views)

Motion Detection With PIR Sensors And Arduino / Sine Wave Inverter Using Arduino / Learn How To Programme Using Arduino And Raspberry Pi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Semtu(m): 4:54pm On May 31, 2019
Programming Gurus.... Am currently working on a project, I've succesfully created half of it which is building an accelerometer based hand-gesture controlled robot.

Now I want to add video surveillance to it by using a webcam and pir sensor for motion detection, please has anyone done a project like this before ?
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by EvilSec: 6:49pm On May 31, 2019
Semtu:
Programming Gurus.... Am currently working on a project, I've succesfully created half of it which is building an accelerometer based hand-gesture controlled robot.

Now I want to add video surveillance to it by using a webcam and pir sensor for motion detection, please has anyone done a project like this before ?
Arduinos can not handle camera feeds. You have to get a security camera with WiFi streaming built in for that, and have it send the stream directly.

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Semtu(m): 10:44pm On May 31, 2019
EvilSec:

Arduinos can not handle camera feeds. You have to get a security camera with WiFi streaming built in for that, and have it send the stream directly.

I know I can use a wifi IP camera with a router for the same purpose, but I want to build it from the scratch with microcontrollers.

I came across Arduino Yun, it's just like a raspberry pi board with sd card port so that should do the job. But I still don't fully grasp how to automate the process. The idea is that when the PIR sensor detects motion, it captures an image then sends it as an sms.. I don't know how to automate this process that's why I've come for help
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by EvilSec: 11:54pm On May 31, 2019
Semtu:

I know I can use a wifi IP camera with a router for the same purpose, but I want to build it from the scratch with microcontrollers.

I came across Arduino Yun, it's just like a raspberry pi board with sd card port so that should do the job. But I still don't fully grasp how to automate the process. The idea is that when the PIR sensor detects motion, it captures an image then sends it as an sms.. I don't know how to automate this process that's why I've come for help

Even if the Yun has an sd slot, arduinos can not record video. Period.
Why don't you just stick to using the PI? Grab a RPi with sufficient storage (SD card, hard disk). To send it to your server, just install sshd and then transfer with ssh or rsync or whatever client you prefer. For installation instructions, that's all a quick Google search away (usually you'd only have to install sshd as any halfway decent distro would have installed the clients already).

All this is completely out of scope of an Arduino based project. A RPi can handle sensors as well, so it makes sense to connect your motion sensor to the Pi and forget about Arduinos.

But if you really wanna try your luck implementing it with a microcontroller, and be able to send images as sms, you can grab your PIR and connect to an ESP8266 so that the ESP8266 sends a message to your cell phone. You have two totally separate things. you get the 'alarm' txt, and then you have to go on-line to look at the video or picture.

Since we assume that this is all on your home wifi, you could configure the address to be included inside of your text.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Semtu(m): 8:07am On Jun 01, 2019
EvilSec:

Even if the Yun has an sd slot, arduinos can not record video. Period.
Why don't you just stick to using the PI? Grab a RPi with sufficient storage (SD card, hard disk). To send it to your server, just install sshd and then transfer with ssh or rsync or whatever client you prefer. For installation instructions, that's all a quick Google search away (usually you'd only have to install sshd as any halfway decent distro would have installed the clients already).

All this is completely out of scope of an Arduino based project. A RPi can handle sensors as well, so it makes sense to connect your motion sensor to the Pi and forget about Arduinos.

But if you really wanna try your luck implementing it with a microcontroller, and be able to send images as sms, you can grab your PIR and connect to an ESP8266 so that the ESP8266 sends a message to your cell phone. You have two totally separate things. you get the 'alarm' txt, and then you have to go on-line to look at the video or picture.

Since we assume that this is all on your home wifi, you could configure the address to be included inside of your text.

Thanks bro, I've not really worked with a Pi board but I'll make some research
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by kudaisi(m): 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2019
Generally speaking, Arduino boards are not capable of processing video data. If you were to use an Uno (for example) to record from a camera, it will take between 10-20s (maybe more or less) to save each frame in you memory card.

However, If for some reason you insist on using an Arduino, I would recommend that you acquire a video recorder/mini DVR (this things come in many names) with cables for the external connections to act as an interface between your Arduino and the camera. Alternatively, you can get a module that transfers the video streams directly to a server using a network, then your Arduino has to only worry about detecting the time motion was detected. Subsequently, you can then cross reference that time with the video on your server.

OCDAY DVR is one of such Mini DVRs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OCDAY-ProDVR-Pro-DVR-Mini-Video-Audio-Recorder-FPV-Recorder-RC-Quadcopter-Recorder-For-FPV-RC/32842952584.html
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Semtu(m): 7:22pm On Jun 02, 2019
kudaisi:
Generally speaking, Arduino boards are not capable of processing video data. If you were to use an Uno (for example) to record from a camera, it will take between 10-20s (maybe more or less) to save each frame in you memory card.

However, If for some reason you insist on using an Arduino, I would recommend that you acquire a video recorder/mini DVR (this things come in many names) with cables for the external connections to act as an interface between your Arduino and the camera. Alternatively, you can get a module that transfers the video streams directly to a server using a network, then your Arduino has to only worry about detecting the time motion was detected. Subsequently, you can then cross reference that time with the video on your server.

OCDAY DVR is one of such Mini DVRs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OCDAY-ProDVR-Pro-DVR-Mini-Video-Audio-Recorder-FPV-Recorder-RC-Quadcopter-Recorder-For-FPV-RC/32842952584.html

Thanks bro, but I've gotten an easier and pocket friendly alternative.

Someone introduced me to an ESP32-Cam module.. I made some research, that will work excellently well for my project and can easily be programmed with the arduino ide
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by tunasha(m): 11:21pm On Jun 03, 2019
EvilSec:

Arduino can do it,I have done it before
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Semtu(m): 8:55am On Jun 04, 2019
tunasha:

Please can I have your contact so we talk privately?
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by MrsSandman: 11:25pm On Jul 26, 2020
I don’t think you need a camera with motion detection. We live in the new century where you can buy Fever Detection Cameras. It is an absolutely new level of security. I will be safe even after sunset. We work in a company where there are a lot of girls and sometimes we work till the evening and it is already dark outside. I feel much safer because I know that cameras will detect all humans around the building so before going outside I am asking our security guard if there is someone outside. Moreover in this corona time our company can check if somebody is sick. So don’t think twice take Fever Detection cameras.
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by ibromodzi: 9:39pm On Jul 27, 2020
Semtu:

I don't really know much about embedded system but I think you should be able to achieve this using OpenCV (python or C++)Raspberry pi and webcam.
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Hotspotbro(m): 4:00pm On Jul 28, 2020
tunasha:

pls where can I buy arduino?
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by Deicide: 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2020
I am also working on a project like this but I haven't started because of this quarantine and stuff.

@op where did you order your Board from cause I know Jumia doesn't have it and AliExpress am not sure if they would ship to Nigeria during this Corona Buhaha
Re: How To Create A Motion-detection Camera Using Arduino, Webcam And Pir Sensor by isaacgibson2dp: 9:22am On Jul 30, 2020
MrsSandman:
I don’t think you need a camera with motion detection. We live in the new century where you can buy Fever Detection Cameras. It is an absolutely new level of security. I will be safe even after sunset. We work in a company where there are a lot of girls and sometimes we work till the evening and it is already dark outside. I feel much safer because I know that cameras will detect all humans around the building so before going outside I am asking our security guard if there is someone outside. Moreover in this corona time our company can check if somebody is sick. So don’t think twice take Fever Detection cameras.

Where can I find some more feedback?

(1) (Reply)

My ALX Data Science & Data Analytics Journey / Big Data. Hadoop / Covid 19 Data Science/analytics Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.