Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years (15205 Views)

Elon Musk Hires New Female CEO For Twitter / Shoprite Concludes Sale Of Its Equity Stake (100%) In Its Nigeria Subsidiary / Biography Of Taiwo Afolabi, SIFAX Group CEO, Owner Of Shipping Company, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Slayer1914: 4:58pm On May 31, 2019
Press Release

SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO for Five Years

The Securities and Exchange Commission, SEC, has concluded investigation of Oando Plc and directed among others the resignation of the affected Board members, and also barred the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) and the Deputy Group Chief Executive Officer (DGCEO) of Oando Plc from being directors of public companies for a period of five (5) years.

The SEC also directed the convening of an Extra-Ordinary General Meeting on or before July 1, 2019, to appoint new directors.

These among others the SEC stated, are part of measures to address identified violations in the company.

According to the SEC, “Following the receipt of two petitions by the Commission in 2017, investigations were conducted into the activities of Oando Plc (a company listed on the Nigerian and Johannesburg Stock Exchanges).

“Certain infractions of Securities and other relevant laws were observed. The Commission further engaged Deloitte & Touche to conduct a Forensic Audit of the activities of Oando Plc.    

“The general public is hereby notified of the conclusion of the investigations of Oando Plc. The findings from the report revealed serious infractions such as false disclosures, market abuses, misstatements in financial statements, internal control failures, and corporate governance lapses stemming from poor board oversight, irregular approval of directors’ remuneration, unjustified disbursements to directors and management of the company, related party transactions not conducted at arm’s length, amongst others”.

The SEC also directed the payment of monetary penalties by the company and affected individuals and directors, and refund of improperly disbursed remuneration by the affected Board members to the company.

As required under Section 304 of the Investments and Securities Act, (ISA) 2007, the Commission said it would refer all issues with possible criminality to the appropriate criminal prosecuting authorities.

In addition, the SEC stated that other aspects of the findings would be referred to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), and the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

“The Commission is confident that with the implementation of the above directives and introduction of some remedial measures, such unwholesome practices by public companies would be significantly reduced.

“Therefore, in line with the Federal Government’s resolve to build strong institutions, Boards of public companies are enjoined to properly perform their fiduciary duties as required under extant securities laws” the statement added.

The Commission, as the apex regulator of the Nigerian capital market, maintains its zero tolerance to market infractions, and reiterates its commitment to ensuring the fairness, integrity, efficiency and transparency of the securities market, thereby strengthening investor protection.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/forensic-audit-sec-sacks-bars-oando-ceo-deputy-for-5yrs/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Casptainspecial: 5:03pm On May 31, 2019
Ok
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by emkz: 5:23pm On May 31, 2019
So this shitload of underhand deals and abuses happened because some of these companies are not subjected to thorough internal corporate governance. When there is a ceremonial board of directors, why won't there be abuses like those stated by the SEC? Kudos to SEC for not being compromised. I have hope that Nigeria go better.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by EClassicgold(m): 6:11pm On May 31, 2019
okay i'll be back

1 Like

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by silverbirdng(f): 6:11pm On May 31, 2019
How To Start A Fashion Business In Nigeria
https://thickmatch.com/start-fashion-business-nigeria/
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Enugupikin: 6:12pm On May 31, 2019
AFONJA and corruption

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by solmusdesigns: 6:12pm On May 31, 2019
lipsrsealed

Nigerian Stocks and sharp practices, Wale Tinubu got burnt this time, i guess his uncle wants him else where. He himself is worth some tens of million dolars, The Tinubus have major stake in multibillion Dollars INTELS, so the guy is pretty much covered for life

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by helinues: 6:12pm On May 31, 2019
Ok
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by pluzo: 6:13pm On May 31, 2019
Great decision
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Baba419(m): 6:13pm On May 31, 2019
Why didn't the article mention the name of the CEO?

I thought it was one of the Theifnubus?

The same SEC that just reinstated the BOSS?

This must be the case that gave him that case

But what do I know, it's NEXT LEVEL grin

4 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Firgemachar: 6:14pm On May 31, 2019
Wow
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by ejihand(m): 6:16pm On May 31, 2019
I have no doubt that this country will be less corrupt in nearest future

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by obajoey(m): 6:19pm On May 31, 2019
emkz:
So this shitload of underhand deals and abuses happened because some of these companies are not subjected to thorough internal corporate governance. When there is a ceremonial board of directors, why won't there be abuses like those stated by the SEC? Kudos to SEC for not being compromised. I have hope that Nigeria go better.

Internal corporate governance on paper.

2 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Queenserah26(f): 6:20pm On May 31, 2019
Quite revealing
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by sukerefakere(m): 6:21pm On May 31, 2019
ejihand:
I have no doubt that this country will be less corrupt in nearest future
You have seen anything yet
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 31, 2019
We shall get there soon.
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by KarlWest(m): 6:24pm On May 31, 2019
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by StarUp: 6:25pm On May 31, 2019
Issorite...

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Truth234(m): 6:25pm On May 31, 2019
Wale Tinubu, CEO of Oando, paid himself over N500 million in salary last year to emerged the highest earning CEO of a public listed company in Nigeria.

https://investorsking.com/nigerias-highest-paid-ceos-in-2018/

Yet, the company continues to struggle.

In July, a London arbitration awarded $680 million against his companies, Ocean and Oil Development Partners Limited, which owns 55.96 percent of Oando - and another company own by himself and Omamofe Boyo, Whitmore Asset Management Limited.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by abumeinben(m): 6:28pm On May 31, 2019
Tinubu. This is interesting.

We need such "combing" in nnpc
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Bbbwings: 6:32pm On May 31, 2019
emkz:
So this shitload of underhand deals and abuses happened because some of these companies are not subjected to thorough internal corporate governance. When there is a ceremonial board of directors, why won't there be abuses like those stated by the SEC? Kudos to SEC for not being compromised..
Fixed.
Nobody is going to prison for it. cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by ppogba: 6:39pm On May 31, 2019
emkz:

If you follow the case very well, you should know that if the Hausa man had not fought dirty, the cowboys wanted to push him out. In fact, he was already out. Recall, the suspension of Oando shares by SEC and the intervention by SLS.

2 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by marvin906(m): 6:40pm On May 31, 2019
thought obj was a major shareholder in oando didn't know tinubu family hands have been there no wonder the company nor get head

1 Like

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by winterfell007(m): 6:41pm On May 31, 2019
Wale Tinubu really has some serious explanation to do. I still don't trust how he handled that acquisition of ConocoPhillips assets in Nigeria and how the company sold off all its asset in the midstream and downstream business just to settle its debt in it got from acquiring an upstream business.
Had I known, I would have bought shares in Seplat. This guy really don scam us big time.
God airpus oo!!! embarassed cry cry cry

6 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Xander85: 6:43pm On May 31, 2019
It was just a matter of time! You can’t use your closeness to the corridors of power to give your company an edge over others forever....at some point, whatever shortcomings your business has would be exposed when the regulatory authorities demand to see your books!

Isn’t the CEO one of those always seen with Buhari on foreign trips when they want to push forward the ‘faces of corporate Nigeria’?

8 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Hotfreezers: 6:46pm On May 31, 2019
Investing in Nigeria's stock market is like giving a thief your money and hoping he doesn't steal it.

9 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Xander85: 6:50pm On May 31, 2019
winterfell007:
Wale Tinubu really has some serious explanation to do. I still don't trust how he handled that acquisition of ConocoPhillips assets in Nigeria and how the company sold off all its asset in the midstream and downstream business just to settle its debt in it got from acquiring an upstream business.
Had I known, I would have bought shares in Seplat. This guy really don scam us big time.
God airpus oo!!!
embarassed cry cry cry

Hehehehe grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by winterfell007(m): 6:55pm On May 31, 2019
Xander85:

Hehehehe grin grin grin

This one serious ooo!!! embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Tpharell: 7:00pm On May 31, 2019
Court orders reinstatement of Gwarzo and within days SEC concludes investigation on Oando all in the same week.

4 Likes

Re: SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years by Phock2sweet: 7:02pm On May 31, 2019
afonjas can liquidate companies

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. / NNPC 20% Acquisition: Dangote Refinery May Drag Nigeria Into Further Debt / Companies Selling Solar Electric Power Systems In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.