Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,318 members, 7,829,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years (27625 Views)

ASUU STRIKE: Various Institutions Cancel 461,745 Students’ Enrollment / Uk Universities Continue Strike As More Universities Join (photos) / 20 Nigerian Students Of Brampton Manor Academy Break Into Best UK Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by tosyne2much(m): 9:08pm On May 31, 2019
wristbangle:

Madam, easy o
U sef enter this thread cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by YorubaWarrior: 9:11pm On May 31, 2019
easzypeaszy:
Idiotic and ba$tard Yoruba's can still come here n licky licky @$$ cuz dats all dey kw how to do and to call Igbos names d niggaz even better dan dem...

My Igbo brothers please note dat we Yoruba Christians from d North are not wt dis crazy ones in d South.

Thank You

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Studyinchina200(m): 9:15pm On May 31, 2019
You must be jobless and broke

easzypeaszy:
Idiotic and ba$tard Yoruba's can still come here n licky licky @$$ cuz dats all dey kw how to do and to call Igbos names d niggaz even better dan dem...

My Igbo brothers please note dat we Yoruba Christians from d North are not wt dis crazy ones in d South.

Thank You

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 31, 2019
kennygee:

If Zimbabwe never pass una by then abi?
No one will blame anyone for leaving Sha. Ours is a failed Nation
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by budaatum: 9:19pm On May 31, 2019
ThinkWISELY:
Why won't it drop, useless country like UK where after spending millions of naira on education, they can't even honour your certificate and give you a reputable job in their country.

Useless grandma country angry

If you know you know.
Don't mind them. Rather than letting you stay, they send you back with the knowledge they sold you so you can return home and use it to help make Naija great again.
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by madridsta007(m): 9:20pm On May 31, 2019
RTSC:

That PRESSID thing is still paining me till today.
My sister won it under Jonathan and traveled out.

I was supposed to be the beneficiary, but I applied for her instead because I was working.

When I was ready to apply, buhari came in and cancelled it.

I am sorry to hear that, Bro. I know a couple of people who had similar stories. I also know a few people who have good stories. Used the PRESSID for their MSc's and PhD's and have now being snapped up by other countries.

The most important determinant in the life of any citizen is and always would be the government of the country. A single decree/legislature/order can change the course of citizens, no matter how fullproof they think they are.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by able20(m): 9:20pm On May 31, 2019
kennygee:
Country that you'll spend millions of naira only for them to bundle you back to your country after studies.

Who them epp?
Imagine if UK grant all foreign students work permits after graduation, they too they have their own unemployed citizens to care for. It's understandable that they will help their own first.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by RTSC: 9:28pm On May 31, 2019
madridsta007:

I am sorry to hear that, Bro. I know a couple of people who had similar stories. I also know a few people who have good stories. Used the PRESSID for their MSc's and PhD's and have now being snapped up by other countries.

The most important determinant in the life of any citizen is and always would be the government of the country. A single decree/legislature/order can change the course of citizens, no matter how fullproof they think they are.
It was crazy. I nearly died from over thinking.

My sister is done with masters since, got a fully funded PhD fellowship in Nuclear physics.

She is my hope right now. Trying to process my admission and get potential scholarship opportunity.
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by dehi: 9:30pm On May 31, 2019
Why will I use up to 30000 for your master when you can spend the more on other countries like China,, where you will have the opportunity to learn Chinese, even with higher quality of education and still have big change left. UK na scam

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 31, 2019
Why should I pay such outrageous amount of money when I can't stay back and work in the country? Canada and Aussie all the way.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by lexy2014: 9:34pm On May 31, 2019
Sonnobax15:
Everywhere qudt...hw ur syd na??

Bros I de oh
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by themanderon: 9:41pm On May 31, 2019
The Buhari effect.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by donogaga(m): 9:49pm On May 31, 2019
selemo:
Africa is more hostile...

There's no basis for comparison bro. Africa is way behind in the scheme of things.

If we are doing well as a continent (Africa), there won't be any point travelling to Europe or the US for academic purpose or for greener pasture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Gucciboss: 10:10pm On May 31, 2019
ThinkWISELY:
Why won't it drop, useless country like UK where after spending millions of naira on education, they can't even honour your certificate and give you a reputable job in their country.

If you know you know.
Lol
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by paix(m): 10:12pm On May 31, 2019
kennygee:
Country that you'll spend millions of naira only for them to bundle you back to your country after studies.

Who them epp?
Before nko? Wetin you go do for there, no be to study?
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by wristbangle: 10:25pm On May 31, 2019
tosyne2much:
U sef enter this thread cheesy

cheesy na so my brother. Long time
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 31, 2019
XTHRONE:
Nigerians still patronizing those scammers are fools, patronize other countries, let's see if they will not stop misbehaving and start respecting us. as for US, their time go come too. Stupid people that think they are wise,How far with their selfish Brexit, that would have been the beginning of their down fall, they thought European Union will fold their arms and watch them lord their selves over them. Foolish Brit. Na for African una strong pass, how I wish Hitler crush this bastards to extinction.
Man! you need to see a psychiatric ASAP. you are a very troubled soul
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 31, 2019
paix:
Before nko? Wetin you go do for there, no be to study?
I wonder oo!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:33pm On May 31, 2019
holuwajobar:
but cost of living is high...
Yes, the advantage of Germany is, most of their courses are tuition free and you have 18 months to look for job. It is better than UK for now.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Charly68: 11:04pm On May 31, 2019
It will drop more because no more free flow of funds

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Basher8583: 11:05pm On May 31, 2019
moyinoluwabun:
Buhari Don kill d economy. People wey dey do legit work no see business do, corrupt people sef no see money steal. Where dem wan see money send pikin go UK?
Oh so it was GEJ and PDP that was sustaining the economy. Like you even know what the word economy means
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Nukilia: 11:06pm On May 31, 2019
olapluto:
No serious minded Nigerian youth will decide to go study in UK in this climate. The standard of their universities are dropping and they ONLY see international students as cashcows now. Job prospects are nearly zero after studies, plus you get the whole racist country on your back. I think other European countries are open and more welcoming. Canada is also very welcoming.
Dont go spend millions in studying in one lowly ranked UK university where the locals see you as an enemy. It always ends in regret. Speak with your cash.

Keyword: Cashcow
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by XTHRONE(m): 11:15pm On May 31, 2019
gypsey:
Man! you need to see a psychiatric ASAP. you are a very troubled soul

It takes a troubled soul to discover another, have you seen your own psychiatric, what did he tell you,when you finish your drug prescription let me know. Have a good day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by ghettochild4u(m): 11:19pm On May 31, 2019
chelseaeternity:

A recent data by Studying-in-UK.org, a leading information portal about UK higher education system, has shown a steady decline in the enrollment rate of Nigerian students in UK varsities in the past three years. The UK is becoming a less coveted destination for education by Nigerians.

According to the latest report, 10,540 Nigerian students were enrolled in UK universities in the 2017/18 academic year. In the 2012/2013 session, the figure was 17,390, amounting to 39 percent decrease in three years.

Based on the latest official enrollment data about 183 higher education providers in the UK, Studying-in-UK.org discovered that students from former British colonies account for almost 29 percent of all international students, but their number has decreased by 6 percent compared to five years ago.

The report also noted that although the number of Indian students had decreased by 12 percent compared to five years ago, India remains the most popular country of origin for international students coming from former British colonies. During the past academic year, exactly 19,750 Indian students were studying in the UK.

For many years, the UK and the United States have been top study destinations for Nigerians. Reasons for the rush abroad are obvious: The decline in the standard of education in Nigerian varsities and several other factors. Other factors like job prospects after graduation, better opportunities and prestige have fueled the migration of Nigerian students abroad over time. But this is changing.

Many reasons have been advanced for this steady decline in enrollment rate of Nigerians in UK varsities. The Department of Education in the UK recently relaxed its post-study rule for undergraduate and master’s students. Before, international students had to return to their home countries immediately after their studies. Following the recent policy change, they will now be eligible to work for six months post-graduation, while doctoral candidates are eligible to renew their stay for up to one year.

The high cost of studying in the UK is also a crucial factor. This was what discouraged Amiebi, a Nigerian from Rivers State from studying in the UK last year. “For me, the UK is too expensive. That was why I went to India,” Amiebi, who just graduated from the Noida International University in India, told Sahara Reporters.

Agu Onyemaechi, who completed a master’s degree in Environmental Sustainability at the Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, spent roughly £15000 on tuition and living cost in 2014.

If Onyemaechi were to enroll for the same degree now, he would have to pay almost double the amount he spent in 2014 because of the drop in the value of the naira.

Professor Segun Ajibola, the President/Chairman of Council, Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, attributed the drop in enrolment rate on the economic downturn which saw a drastic fall of the naira against the dollar and the GBP.

Sharing his views on the issue with Sahara Reporters, Ajibola, who is also the Dean, College of Postgraduate Studies, Caleb University, maintained that the situation had been made worse because parents sending their children to study in the UK have not witnessed an increase in income.

He said, “Their capability to sponsor their children overseas has reduced significantly because of the foreign exchange rate. The second reason is that in Nigeria, so many private universities are almost of equal standard to British schools in terms of facilities and availability of programs. This has also reduced the attraction to UK varsities.

“Just as the UK has witnessed a reduction in enrolment rate, I am sure that it is the same for the US and other parts of Europe if the records are confirmed. Prospective college students are encouraged to stay back home. If it costs you N5m per annum to sponsor your child abroad, now it will cost you around N10m to do so. Where do you get the N10m? This is because your income as a parent income has not increased by a similar proportion in the last couple of years.”

Ajibola lamented that the rush for education abroad was seriously affecting the Nigerian economy.

The don called for more funding of Nigerian universities.

He added, “This is a challenge to the Nigerian government to improve the quality of educational services in Nigerian in order to discourage the migration to Europe, Africa and American schools. The less it happens, the better for us in Nigeria economically.

“The conditions in these European countries are becoming tougher, stricter and less conducive. Before, in some European countries, the attraction was that if you studied there, you could stay back and work but some countries are discouraging this. Nigerian graduates out there are struggling with the fact that they have to go back to their country after their studies. Where are the jobs in Nigeria? Is it not better to slug it out at home rather than spend so much acquiring education abroad only to return home to face unemployment?”

Source: https://www.collinsuchendusblog.com/2019/05/nigerian-students-enrollment-in-uk.html?m=1

Lol.. We don wise ooo.
When una go expect us return back home..
Well u can keep ur relaxed rule... Ordinary Ukraine n Belarus is better set..
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Baroba(m): 11:22pm On May 31, 2019
ThinkWISELY:

If you know you know.

But you came to study not to be an economic migrant, they are not fools..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by seguno2: 11:40pm On May 31, 2019
Caseless:
grin

Those who steal to keep their children there can't steal anymore. Buhari is on top of the situation.

Where did Buhari send his children to school? In Britain?
Is Buhari also a thief for doing that
Or the old pensioner is what?
So many hypocrites pretending to be saints in a holier than thou filthy garb.
Do you see how you have committed suicide on behalf of Buhari with your hypocrisy
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by DEADALIVE: 11:52pm On May 31, 2019
most certainly not everyone travelling oversea under the umbrella of education understands foreign educational policy.... Nigeria see and worship anything foreign product and the White made it expensive and once you are done they send you back to Nigeria where we feel foreign certificate is what entails good governance, economy and riches but in all it has made the country a total failure.
so many of us see education abroad as an alternative to hustle by having work permit for the little time given to establish oneself in this shithole country rather than depend on these useless and unready government of ours with cumbersome projects to be achieved in year 2099 many generations to come.
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by MrSly(m): 12:13am On Jun 01, 2019
chelseaeternity:

A recent data by Studying-in-UK.org, a leading information portal about UK higher education system, has shown a steady decline in the enrollment rate of Nigerian students in UK varsities in the past three years. The UK is becoming a less coveted destination for education by Nigerians.

According to the latest report, 10,540 Nigerian students were enrolled in UK universities in the 2017/18 academic year. In the 2012/2013 session, the figure was 17,390, amounting to 39 percent decrease in three years.

Based on the latest official enrollment data about 183 higher education providers in the UK, Studying-in-UK.org discovered that students from former British colonies account for almost 29 percent of all international students, but their number has decreased by 6 percent compared to five years ago.

The report also noted that although the number of Indian students had decreased by 12 percent compared to five years ago, India remains the most popular country of origin for international students coming from former British colonies. During the past academic year, exactly 19,750 Indian students were studying in the UK.

For many years, the UK and the United States have been top study destinations for Nigerians. Reasons for the rush abroad are obvious: The decline in the standard of education in Nigerian varsities and several other factors. Other factors like job prospects after graduation, better opportunities and prestige have fueled the migration of Nigerian students abroad over time. But this is changing.

Many reasons have been advanced for this steady decline in enrollment rate of Nigerians in UK varsities. The Department of Education in the UK recently relaxed its post-study rule for undergraduate and master’s students. Before, international students had to return to their home countries immediately after their studies. Following the recent policy change, they will now be eligible to work for six months post-graduation, while doctoral candidates are eligible to renew their stay for up to one year.

The high cost of studying in the UK is also a crucial factor. This was what discouraged Amiebi, a Nigerian from Rivers State from studying in the UK last year. “For me, the UK is too expensive. That was why I went to India,” Amiebi, who just graduated from the Noida International University in India, told Sahara Reporters.

Agu Onyemaechi, who completed a master’s degree in Environmental Sustainability at the Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, spent roughly £15000 on tuition and living cost in 2014.

If Onyemaechi were to enroll for the same degree now, he would have to pay almost double the amount he spent in 2014 because of the drop in the value of the naira.

Professor Segun Ajibola, the President/Chairman of Council, Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, attributed the drop in enrolment rate on the economic downturn which saw a drastic fall of the naira against the dollar and the GBP.

Sharing his views on the issue with Sahara Reporters, Ajibola, who is also the Dean, College of Postgraduate Studies, Caleb University, maintained that the situation had been made worse because parents sending their children to study in the UK have not witnessed an increase in income.

He said, “Their capability to sponsor their children overseas has reduced significantly because of the foreign exchange rate. The second reason is that in Nigeria, so many private universities are almost of equal standard to British schools in terms of facilities and availability of programs. This has also reduced the attraction to UK varsities.

“Just as the UK has witnessed a reduction in enrolment rate, I am sure that it is the same for the US and other parts of Europe if the records are confirmed. Prospective college students are encouraged to stay back home. If it costs you N5m per annum to sponsor your child abroad, now it will cost you around N10m to do so. Where do you get the N10m? This is because your income as a parent income has not increased by a similar proportion in the last couple of years.”

Ajibola lamented that the rush for education abroad was seriously affecting the Nigerian economy.

He added, “This is a challenge to the Nigerian government to improve the quality of educational services in Nigerian in order to discourage the migration to Europe, Africa and American schools. The less it happens, the better for us in Nigeria economically.

“The conditions in these European countries are becoming tougher, stricter and less conducive. Before, in some European countries, the attraction was that if you studied there, you could stay back and work but some countries are discouraging this. Nigerian graduates out there are struggling with the fact that they have to go back to their country after their studies. Where are the jobs in Nigeria? Is it not better to slug it out at home rather than spend so much acquiring education abroad only to return home to face unemployment?”

Source: https://www.collinsuchendusblog.com/2019/05/nigerian-students-enrollment-in-uk.html?m=1

Did Nigerian universities improve? No
Did the tuition fee of UK universities increase? No
Did number Nigerian universities increase? No
Is there embargo on UK universities? No

Conclusion. BUHARI MADE THING WORSE. NO MONEY TO TRAVEL.
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by MrSly(m): 12:14am On Jun 01, 2019
chelseaeternity:

Few questions for the last three
Did Nigerian universities improve? No
Did the tuition fee of UK universities increase? No
Did number Nigerian universities increase? No
Is there embargo on UK universities? No

Conclusion. BUHARI MADE THING WORSE. NO MONEY TO TRAVEL.
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by STENON(f): 12:49am On Jun 01, 2019
Hmmmmm...Let me park here
Re: Nigerian Students Enrollment In UK Universities Dropped By 39% Over Last 3 Years by Nobody: 2:08am On Jun 01, 2019
easzypeaszy:

Thank You
You can be better than this, are you not tired of this tribal stupidity?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Can Solve This Maths? / What To Do With A 2.89 CGPA / NISD Second Edition (Planning Thread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.