Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:09 AM

Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time (20914 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Your Nigerian Footballer Of The Year 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by razor(m): 9:18am On Jun 21, 2005
WHO IS NIGERIAN ALL TIME BEST FOOTBALLER

Over years Nigeria has produced great footballers like Christian Chukwu, Segun Odegbami, Thunder Balogun, Stephen Keshi, Rashid Yekini, Kanu Nwankwo and Austin Okocha. Who is the all time Nigerian Best Footballer?
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by IAH(f): 9:03pm On Jun 21, 2005
Personally, I would find it hard to choose the greatest among Rashidi Yekini, Peter Rufai, Jay-Jay Okocha and don't forget John Fashanu is a Nigerian too.(though you might not want to consider him). i don't think I was born rolleyes when people like Christian Chukwu and Segun Odegbami played so I don't know about them. I only met Chukwu as a coach.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Seun(m): 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2005
Austin JJ Okocha, really, is our best of all time. From the first time he played we saw his enormous talent but he didn't polish it properly until the last world cup, where he really showed all of us that he has arrived!

Rashidi Yekini was a legend in his own right. Segun Odegbami also.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by fataiiyo(m): 11:45am On Jul 06, 2005
i will also say that okocha is one of the best player.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by demmy(m): 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2005
Tough choices. I grew up with Chukwu, Best Ogedegbe, Segun Odegbami, Felix Owolabi, Late Mudashiru Lawal etc, but I also like the middle generation of Henry Nwosu, Rashidi Yekini, Stephen Keshi, Samson Siasia, Mutiu Adepoju etc and the later generation with Okocha, Kanu, Babangida, Omokachi. Its tough. Not easy to pick someone. But for me the best team was the 1994-96 team.

Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Chxta(m): 2:49pm On Jul 09, 2005
Forget his eventual falling out with the NFA, watch Nigeria-Zambia and Nigeria-Cote d'Ivoire of 1994 and you will agree that Oliseh was something special. But then, that may just be in terms of potential...

Muda Lawal was on everyone's lips when I was growing up, and it is hard to ignore that kind of impact...

But then speaking of impact, Beckham isn't as decorated as a footballer as our own Nwankwo Kanu is...

The point is this, the question that started this thread is relative!
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by c0dec(m): 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2005
who's nigeria's best footballer of all time?

ME! cool
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by fataiiyo(m): 8:40am On Jul 16, 2005
they are all a talented players........
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by hotangel2(f): 9:27am On Jul 20, 2005
Kanu!! All the way
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Chxta(m): 9:12am On Jul 22, 2005
------------------Rufai-----------------------

Chukwu---Keshi---Okechukwu---Iroha

------------------Ekpo-----------------------

---George---Okocha---Lawal--------

-------------Yekini---Balogun-------------

Bench
Anosike(GK)
Eguavoen
Okafor
Yobo
Babayaro
Oliseh
Odegbami
Esin
Amuneke
Aghahowa
Siasia

Tribute: Okwaraji

Coach: Otto Gloria

IMO, the all time best Nigerian 11

For those who may not know, Lawal in the starting line-up is not Garba, it is Mudasiru

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by fataiiyo(m): 8:48am On Jul 27, 2005
' say salute to Taribo West.............ma defender mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by fataiiyo(m): 9:08am On Jul 27, 2005
i don't wanna 4get .........Amokachi.......baba agba
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Danasco(m): 3:07pm On Jul 27, 2005
OKOCHA
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by CimonJorr(m): 8:47pm On Aug 13, 2005
I don't think you guys give enough credit to Garba Lawal..

He is Mr. Consistency exemplified.. and his Patriotism is unquestionable..

Besides, how many players are as versatile as him... I can tell you... None.. if not for the numerous times when he's been called upon to fill in the gaping gaps in the national team a lot of time, then look at his work rate..

The criteria for assessment shouldnt be based on flair or skills [I believe a better word here should be tricks - "football artistry" shey??..].. but on all-round play... tongue
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by hotangel2(f): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2005
Okocha, kanu. Rasheedi yekini.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Ozone(m): 8:21pm On Sep 05, 2005
I want to say Yekini or Okocha. But I would also like throw Ikpeba's name into the mix. He was dominating the Frech League until the death of his wife cry;
Cry; then he just sort of walked away from the game.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by hotangel2(f): 8:26pm On Sep 05, 2005
Yekini was extremely good. He's a Legend! If for nothing but his name.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by WesleyanA(f): 11:33pm On Sep 05, 2005
peter rufai
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by EzehM(m): 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2005
Nicholas Ukadike....
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by layi(m): 6:28pm On Sep 09, 2005
Austin Okocha
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Latoya(f): 4:51am On Sep 10, 2005
I dont watch soccer everytime but i am a fan of it.

I like Okacha,Odewingi *i am not sure about the spelling* Kanu, and Taribo West
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Chxta(m): 10:31am On Sep 11, 2005
Time and time again , you will get players that are club material but not National Team material. Aiyegbeni is one of them. Akpoborie used to be like that too. He could not muster up much on the National team. They should stop inviting him and let him concentrate on his club career.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by otokx(m): 3:02pm On Sep 12, 2005
Rashidi Yekini
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Enigma(m): 12:54am On Sep 26, 2005
Henry Nwosu ---- just wish he was born a few years later so that he might have been able to showcase his incredible talent on the global stage.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by galala: 10:12am On Oct 14, 2005
Finidi george. Why? Simple answer . the statistics speak volumes.
Top nigerian in Fifa list of world footballers as voted by football managers journalists and players.
First nigerian and i believe probably still the only nigerian player to be voted as footballer of the year in a european league (dutch eredivisie) not once but twice by both the players and managers as well as journalist.

The only nigerian player to have consistently in his career scored against the big european clubs during his career in europe. He once scored a hat trick for real betis of seville against
f c barcelona and scored against real madrid , chelsea , bayern munich (his goal against them was voted goal of the tournament in the 95 champions league campaign) many other top clubs .

A quiet man he went about his football with dignity and poise and was in my humble opinion the complete footballer as he proved while playing for the super eagles as either right winger, right midfielder or even as playmaker on occassion.

i choose him for his vision on the field of play his ability to switch play and his impact on our style of football from his first match for the nigerian national team against burkina faso (7-1) to his last match the 3rd place match against mali at the African cup of nations 2002.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by CimonJorr(m): 9:55pm On Oct 14, 2005
@ galala...

An informed choice..

Nice one..
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by SirKay3(m): 9:36pm On Oct 22, 2005
Yekini
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by larger20(m): 4:54am On Nov 09, 2005
Sam okwaraji...the abedi pele of africa! may his soul rest in peace!
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Owen(m): 10:46am On Nov 09, 2005
Personnally I love Okocha.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by Ajisafe: 1:56am On Nov 14, 2005
In the following order:

Tesilimi (Thunder) Balogun, Segun Odegbami, Mudashiru Lawal, Kunle Awesu, Felix Owolabi (Owo-Blow), Rashidi Yekinni, Idowu Otubushin (Slow-Poison), Odiye (the best defender; even though, he killed Nigeria in the 1978 World Cup qualifiers), Emmanuel Okala (Best goalkeeper), Best Ogedegbe (2nd Best goalkeeper), and Fatai Atere.
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by axeprince(m): 6:07pm On Nov 16, 2005
The analysis made on Finidi is quite awesome. I love it.

Choosing the best Nigerian Football player would not be fair on all Great Players that has been listed and mentioned by contributors.

That is talking about the past.

Let's look for the team that will make the Nation's Cup, representing the Best Footballing Nation in Africa.

I will draw up my own team and put it up soon, or open another thread for that??
Re: Best Nigerian Footballer of All Time by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:38am On Nov 18, 2005
No one has impacted Nigerian Soccer like Kanu..
Thus he gets the nod fromme...
He is like the Nigerian version of David Beckham...
well not their style of play,but the leadership role that they possess. They are model footballers who play the game so tactically well
Oh did you people know that Kanu is boll-legged really nadly?
This is what makes him such a tall player that is ectremely quick
not just fast like an henry, but able to do maGic with the ball

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria defeat Senegal to win Afro basketball Female Nations Cup / Germany comprehensively whoops England (Finals score 4-1) / Nigerian Millionaire Invests In Sheffield United (English Football Club)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.