Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,054 members, 7,845,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1374877 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by groovychik(f): 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2019
You are very wise. Respect. The people that will lose from stoking the flames are those applying for F1. If any of these ladies stop commenting, their absence will be felt. No one has the right to cast aspersions on another's character on a faceless forum. The wise ones would die this matter here and now without further escalation, while the sour grapes would use this to pour out their envy and frustrations. It is well with all of us.

Porpor:
I am not here to take sides or hold brief for anybody. I am going to say it as it is.

Lagosismyhome has always been a grand matron on this thread, I salute her for her invaluable contributions and for staying around for such a long time. Some oldies like megrin have often come back to the thread to sing her praises for remaining true and committed. Madam, may you live long and prosper!

If there is one thing I know about you it is your high level of intelligence and being slow to jump to conclusions. Today, however, was an exception. Except you know Sharwarma beyond this thread, it was hasty generalisation to infer that she had poor carriage and "demarket" the female group. I have lived with flirtatious ladies during my college days, these ones are the most unpredictable, and yet disciplined. As a guy, you think you're the chosen one... story for the gods! They have no such interest for you going on in their mind. I later got used to that kind of life and of course understood better. I want to believe that Sharwarma is trying to be a friend to all and may not necessarily be loose. Adjudicating her to be loose or otherwise would make no sense, EXCEPT you know her beyond here. You could simply come out to clarify that you don't mean it the way it has been misconstrued and that could save a lot of heated back and forth arguments here.

While the former has earned her place and respect here overtime, the latter, Sharwarma, has equally made tremendous contributions here within her short spell. Reading her post has always been a delight and she has proven to be intelligent and resourceful too. The mould of comments that has followed is suggestive of a people who are simply hating and hurty. Some have unashamedly called her out in the past for writing long epistles (I mean, what happens when you gloss over her comments and choose not to read them). I don't wanna mention monikers, but for goodness, somebody feels mislabeled and has respectfully spoken out, the least I expected is to see people call her out for toeing an honourable path. Let's be careful not to create a divide or chasm here. These two have made invaluable contributions here; we want them to continue their good job. Some of us simply come here to read comments and get more lights. It is the newbies who lose when others try to stoke the embers of hostility here where there is non.

Peace!

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by groovychik(f): 10:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
Being looked at by who? Do you know her name or have you ever seen her picture? You lot have short memory and if comments on a faceless forum gives you sexual thoughts, then you need help that this forum cannot provide. See how you lot are ganging up and trying to bully and shame a female that has offered more help than most. Such a shame, pathetic.
Bitcoinbuyer:
Truth is to some guys,She’s been looked at as a sexual object on this same thread,it derailed the thread sometimes back,Lagosismyhome words were more like an advise to prevent this happening over again,no insults whatever here/intended,I don’t see any issue here,You mentioned that "you respect her to be slow to jump to conclusions however today was an exception"..you can as much ignore that because it wasn’t necessary if "this person has never done this before..Again That’s Respect!!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 11:12pm On Jul 18, 2019
By the comments here, I think most of Sharwarma's posts are being misunderstood.
This is all being blown out of proportion over nothing serious. The girl has done more good than harm here.
No one should be quick to judge anyone as this is a public and faceless forum. If she was derailing the thread, a casual advice would have done the needful. These comments are getting too personal.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bitcoinbuyer: 11:13pm On Jul 18, 2019
groovychik:
Being looked at by who? Do you know her name or have you ever seen her picture? You lot have short memory and if comments on a faceless forum gives you sexual thoughts, then you need help that this forum cannot provide. See how you lot are ganging up and trying to bully and shame a female that has offered more help than most. Such a shame, pathetic.

Obviously you lack brain storage coz if not,you’d have seen this happen here and it’s not about myself having sexual thoughts for who?? Lol I don’t wanna exchange words with someone who suffers from critical memory loss..(you can read the thread all over again)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Porpor: 11:17pm On Jul 18, 2019
If you situate Lagos's message, it has to do with what happened while Sharwama was on transit today and not about her past comments on this thread. We can be too serious here, Bracelum and TWoods have been called out for that. We can tend to be too playful here, but there are appropriate sections for that. What I see her doing is striking a perfect balance between the two: passing vital information with every sense of humour. If a guy here will choose to ignore the noble contributions and would rather get distracted with dirty and filthy thoughts, then that's their kettle of fish and I have no solution to their moral depravity.

Away from Lagos's post, what I see here is hate comments from some folks here. When somebody begins to complaint about the lengths of her posts, it is plain hatred and not her alleged sexist comments. I won't talk about this again.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:18pm On Jul 18, 2019
Looool

Tea!!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:19pm On Jul 18, 2019
Wonderful advice sir
I appreciate this
biikeys:

One word of advice..don't limit yourself to just Nigerians. You'll learn a lot from people of other nationalities.
I understand your concern about having someone to guide you through things, but also don't be too quick to make decisions about it. Lots of students have lost their way in the US just because of wrong friends, networks. Get here, focus on school while studying the system, don't make decisions based on rumors-verify every piece of information you get online and gradually you'll form your networks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:20pm On Jul 18, 2019
Hmmmm.... deep

Duly noted
Thanks sire
Leone26:

Now's the time to begin cultivating a global mindset Bro. LinkedIn is an excellent tool for this. Also, search for "MS in US" groups on Facebook (especially yocket) and you'll get to see Indians sharing vital info.

I've learnt so much from Indian students currently at my school whom I found via LinkedIn; sorting out an apartment from here, estimate of cash to carry for the first month expenses before the GA stipend kicks in, etc. Most of them even run YouTube channels on studying in the US...

Just hope this helpssmiley)

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 11:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
Calm down g, what happened wasn't even that deep. Y'all dont take jokes or sumn?
TheGrandChemist:
To whom it may concern,

May you kindly take your sweet nothings out of this thread?

There is a romance section on Nairaland for this purpose; if it really interests you, then you can create a thread there. You guys are derailing the purpose of this thread already.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 11:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
kacey007:
Visa approved today at Lagos Consulate.
Deficit: 16k
Msc Mathematics at ETSU

VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning sir

VO: Why are you going to the US?
Me: I am going for my masters degree in mathematics with a specialization in applied statistics at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City.

VO: Why did you choose ETSU?
Me: Apart from the fact that I was offered a GA that covers tuition waiver and monthly stipends, their mathematics and statistics offers a good research and curriculum that is in line with my career pursuit which is a pathway to achieving my career goal as a data analyst.

Then he looked at my I-20 to confirm the GA

VO: What will you be doing as a Graduate Assistant?
Me: I will be assisting the lecturer in the preparation of course materials, marking and grading of assignments and tests.

VO: who will pay the deficit?
Me: My uncle

VO: What does he do?
Me: He is successful business man

VO: Can I see a statement?
Me: Sure (I passed it)

VO: What is your first degree?
Me: Bsc Mathematics

VO: Are you married?
Me: No sir

VO: Any kids
Me: No

VO: What is your plan after studies?
Me: My plan is to return to Nigeria to resume a higher position as a Senior Research and data analyst at bleep company.

VO: I will be approving your Visa
Me: Thank you.

Thank you shawarma, lagosismyhome and fairheart. You all are wonderful.
Congratulations on your new journey brother
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:33pm On Jul 18, 2019

Make una take it easy ooo. The world war ended many years ago . There should really be no side or word exchange .  At the end of the day we are all one nairaland family . And for me who has been correcting people that I am not sir oo, I am always happy when i see a fellow female . The last thing I want is any female verus female....

I started this so abeg let's end it .... for all those who have commented . Una welldone. Thanks for the input, oya let's not derail the thread of else uncle Just wise might come and start compiling names of noise makers 

Sharwama  I apologise as my comment offended you and has been over blown....  i think sometimes years of outside naija changes your brain to a certain way where you think there is a time and place for different thing . But i understand that Naija ways are unique  and the longer you stay outside you see what i mean. I am with my people here  so even I need to be reminded to check my over seriousness sometime and calm down..also I need to remove my big eyes from some comments and waka pass .. who made me this thread policewoman or judge judy....

it's our unique ways that keeps us going in naija and makes us one ... Sharwama,you are my fellow sister , continue doing You...

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:35pm On Jul 18, 2019
The Indians someone talked about in my quote above, they are resourceful because they network and work together, same thing other Asians
But Nigerians?? Nahh our case is different

I’ve decided to rest my case and take the advice of others here... it will remain a dream and tbh I can do just fine on my own

However, as soon as I’m settled in school I will like to change the trend and mentor two people from this thread (intending applicants)

In 2017 I messaged lagosiamyhome by sending her a direct message through this platform
Told her my study plans, Infact I was already expecting I-20 from the school then
We exchanged a few emails that would swing my decision eventually and today I’ve reaped the rewards . She may not remember but I’m eternally grateful for the impact those 2 back and forth emails we sent each other has on me today
I turned down my admission and went back to dig deep and prepare better

That person I was in 2017 could be anybody here right now reading this!!
I want to be part of a success story and I want to mentor someone as much as I’m needed

This is a challenge to the rest of you? How many have you mentored and how many are you willing to mentor, it’s not easy to come here and scrutinize transcript true and that itself is a selfless service but for those who are capable, don’t shy from mentoring others not just academically but career wise
Like a wise man once said “ a little empathy goes a long way”
Let’s try to make the our worlds a better place by helping each other and guiding each other rightly and selflessly

I rest my case...
texrem:

where are you going? Shoot!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Porpor: 11:38pm On Jul 18, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Thank you Lagos! You're the best. This ends the growing bickering already.
Thanks again!

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by groovychik(f): 11:38pm On Jul 18, 2019
Neither do I wish to exchange words with a phoney, sexually deranged fanny. So Rest in peace little man

Bitcoinbuyer:

Obviously you lack brain storage coz if not,you’d have seen this happen here and it’s not about myself having sexual thoughts for who?? Lol I don’t wanna exchange words with someone who suffers from critical memory loss..(you can read the thread all over again)

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by clapper04: 11:43pm On Jul 18, 2019
Justabama:
Visa finally issued after 45 days of being placed on AP... No funding. 294 Gre scores and so many errors on my Ds160...

I would advise those out there to go all out and try it again, I was denied December 2018, March 2019 and approved June 2019, 3 interviews in the space of 6months( first 2 in lagos and last one in Abuja) and I got it the 3rd time... I remember the day I was first denied in lagos , I walked from Walter Carrington to Constain and I didn't even know where I was, I travelled same day all night cos I had to be at work the following day, it was a cold sad journey form lagos to Ondo state... I stopped believing in my dreams of studying in the US, i didn't even prepare for the last interview at all,my beards was unshaved, I wore a top that isn't good enough to wear to work on a good day and I honestly prepared myself to get the "am sorry you don't qualify" message from the VO, but nonetheless I prayed and I hoped..

Today it AP changed to Issued, after 45 days of tension, I have checked and checked a thousand times and today God did it. I appreciate everyone on this platform and I think we are really going a good job here, God bless everyone and for all those still on AP. Don't worry, your status will change soon... Off to Minnesota,
Congratulations!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bitcoinbuyer: 11:43pm On Jul 18, 2019
groovychik:
Neither do I wish to exchange words with a phoney, sexually deranged fanny. So Rest in peace little man

Lol well as you’ve said little man,I accept!! But I won’t Rest In Peace by his Grace!!

Now let’s put this behind us..lol

15 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by clapper04: 11:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
Wretch32:
The Indians someone talked about in my quote above, they are resourceful because they network and work together, same thing other Asians
But Nigerians?? Nahh our case is different

I’ve decided to rest my case and take the advice of others here... it will remain a dream and tbh I can do just fine on my own

However, as soon as I’m settled in school I will like to change the trend and mentor two people from this thread (intending applicants)

In 2017 I messaged lagosiamyhome by sending her a direct message through this platform
Told her my study plans, Infact I was already expecting I-20 from the school then
We exchanged a few emails that would swing my decision eventually and today I’ve reaped the rewards . She may not remember but I’m eternally grateful for the impact those 2 back and forth emails we sent each other has on me today
I turned down my admission and went back to dig deep and prepare better

That person I was in 2017 could be anybody here right now reading this!!
I want to be part of a success story and I want to mentor someone as much as I’m needed

This is a challenge to the rest of you? How many have you mentored and how many are you willing to mentor, it’s not easy to come here and scrutinize transcript true and that itself is a selfless service but for those who are capable, don’t shy from mentoring others not just academically but career wise
Like a wise man once said “ a little empathy goes a long way”
Let’s try to make the our worlds a better place by helping each other and guiding each other rightly and selflessly

I rest my case...
I would like to send you a DM bro.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:54pm On Jul 18, 2019
Shoot sire
clapper04:

I would like to send you a DM bro.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by clapper04: 11:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Wretch32:
Shoot sire
done
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:58pm On Jul 18, 2019
Replied
clapper04:

done
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 12:09am On Jul 19, 2019
Please check your DM’s ma
LagosismyHome:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by groovychik(f): 12:14am On Jul 19, 2019
Sorry about that. Water under the bridge. Peace!

Bitcoinbuyer:

Lol well as you’ve said little man,I accept!! But I won’t Rest In Peace by his Grace!!

Now let’s put this behind us..lol

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 12:16am On Jul 19, 2019
Yawwnn!!
Please who is studying to take GRE for spring applications? I need a study partner or partners
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:18am On Jul 19, 2019
You are very, very wrong to have said this! I am very disappointed! That we use those term does not in any way mean we do not see more to life than sweetening a thread where people come with tension and worries to look for assistance. That we still talk about king and queen does not mean we let people come here with important need and leave without attending to their questions. You are not in the position to tell me or that lady there is more to life and value than that.

If you know there is more to life, you'd also have known being gracious, using soothing words, complimenting ourselves, saying sweet things about attributes of people are a big part of life--even in the midst of serious business. It is a part of big purpose of life. But you don't know!

That why females will always be looked at a sexual object... it starts from the way we carry ourselves or allow others to address us or see us ... . All this talk about likes, tripping , nice voice, my king .... There more to life and our value than all that . [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:22am On Jul 19, 2019
It is funny to see new monikers asking someone who have been extremely active to take her words elsewhere. Very sad! Leave the thread for them. You have done enough already.
sharwama:

It kinda breaks my heart knowing you wrote this coz I respect you a lot, you are my mentor. I just think you have a different perspective.
You don't have to like the drama, humour or happiness I bring with me or how I roll with the guys, make people warm up to me or something. That's why I am me, I am allowed to be ME and I won't change for any reason.
If other females are considered as sexual objects or something trifling, well I am not and I have never tolerated disrespect. I know where to draw the line.
Maybe you are having a bad day, that's okay. You will be fine and you will always have my utmost respect ma'am.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Scholastica16: 12:26am On Jul 19, 2019
TheGrandChemist:
To whom it may concern,

May you kindly take your sweet nothings out of this thread?

There is a romance section on Nairaland for this purpose; if it really interests you, then you can create a thread there. You guys are derailing the purpose of this thread already.

Thank you!

I agree with this. It needed to be said.

justwise, sanitize this thread.

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adedayo65: 12:32am On Jul 19, 2019
Big congratulations to you ....

Justabama:
Visa finally issued after 45 days of being placed on AP... No funding. 294 Gre scores and so many errors on my Ds160...

I would advise those out there to go all out and try it again, I was denied December 2018, March 2019 and approved June 2019, 3 interviews in the space of 6months( first 2 in lagos and last one in Abuja) and I got it the 3rd time... I remember the day I was first denied in lagos , I walked from Walter Carrington to Constain and I didn't even know where I was, I travelled same day all night cos I had to be at work the following day, it was a cold sad journey form lagos to Ondo state... I stopped believing in my dreams of studying in the US, i didn't even prepare for the last interview at all,my beards was unshaved, I wore a top that isn't good enough to wear to work on a good day and I honestly prepared myself to get the "am sorry you don't qualify" message from the VO, but nonetheless I prayed and I hoped..

Today it AP changed to Issued, after 45 days of tension, I have checked and checked a thousand times and today God did it. I appreciate everyone on this platform and I think we are really going a good job here, God bless everyone and for all those still on AP. Don't worry, your status will change soon... Off to Minnesota,
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:36am On Jul 19, 2019
Very pathetic.
groovychik:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 12:39am On Jul 19, 2019
With all due respect fairheart, this statement this particular one, dead it!!
It’s not necessary
fairheart:
It is funny to see new monikers asking someone who have been extremely active to take her words elsewhere. Very sad! Leave the thread for them. You have done enough already.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:41am On Jul 19, 2019
To say a lady is being seen as a sex object is very demoralizing. You can't just pick up someone and attack their nature simply because you don't like the things being said about her.
Bitcoinbuyer:
Truth is to some guys,She’s been looked at as a sexual object on this same thread,it derailed the thread sometimes back,Lagosismyhome words were more like an advise to prevent this happening over again,no insults whatever here/intended,I don’t see any issue here,You mentioned that "you respect her to be slow to jump to conclusions however today was an exception"..you can as much ignore that because it wasn’t necessary if "this person has never done this before..Again That’s Respect!!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:43am On Jul 19, 2019
You should know I will delete this account if need be. The thread will continue, but when you let people have their way in attacking the nature of an innocent soul like this, is that necessary? It hurts me to the bone to see those posts up.
Wretch32:
With all due respect fairheart, this statement this particular one, dead it!!
It’s not necessary

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by groovychik(f): 12:54am On Jul 19, 2019
It hurt me too, Shawarma is such a breathe of fresh air, always willing to help, always encouraging people and lighting up this place. I hope she doesn't stop contributing because of all this. To see these people with mob mentality saying all sorts got to me. That said, pls don't leave the forum and also drop this. It shall be well with everyone.
fairheart:
You should know I will delete this account if need be. The thread will continue, but when you let people have their way in attacking the nature of an innocent soul like this, is that necessary? It hurts me to the bone to see those posts up.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.