Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,621 members, 7,770,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:37 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1372566 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (402) (Go Down)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 12:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
Good day, my wife and I intend to give birth in the USA as we know that gives the child automatic citizenship.

However, we would require valid information on cost of hospital bill, procedure to register in the hospital. The best state, procedure to obtain the childs nigerian and US passport as we intend to come back within 2 weeks so the locations of both embassy. We already know the cost of visa and flight. We would be grateful if someone with a first hand or second hand experience can but us through with specification info and hospitals addresses, embassy addresses and cost value so we can plan ahead.

Thanks God bless you.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anfanio: 2:25pm On Mar 05, 2011
Start with a location in the US where you have friends and family, then we can figure out hospitals in that area to give you cost. The rest you have to worry about after you get your visas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 2:31pm On Mar 05, 2011
We realy do not want to rely on relatives as such so the state that is best convient for us financially would do irrespective of the location of relatives as relatives can not always be reliable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anfanio: 3:28pm On Mar 05, 2011
Don't be surprised you will need somebody. But for planning purpose give me a state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 3:39pm On Mar 05, 2011
Michigan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anfanio: 4:34pm On Mar 05, 2011

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 11, 2011
please note that you will be asked to carry out various test on the baby,lets assume its a normal delivery with your wife and baby ok,you will need between $16,000---$18,000 usd,am talking about hospitals in illinois,chicago,my family friend did same thing few weeks back so am very sure of what am talking about.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by WAVixen: 2:03pm On Mar 11, 2011
For MD it depends on the hospital itself. For Providence Hospital in the DC area its from 10,000 upwards depending on the method of delivery. Your passport will be required for registration and identification.

Have you ever considered having a home birth or your wife having the baby in a birthing center? Its amazing the service and care birthing centers offer. You are attended to by qualifed mid-wives and they are way cheaper and the environment serene. There is nothing to fear in having your baby at the birthing center, you'll be glad you did.

These days there are so many interventions during delivery at the hospital, that sitautions you never planned for occur. Check out this website www.specialbeginings.com .

For ante-natal you pay $107.00 per visit. Other tests are cheaper, with you beside your wife you two can make it happen at a birthing center. Its about 45 mintues from MD, so you will have to drive there for every ante natal visit and during labour.
Passports take a minimum of 4 weeks to come out. You have NIgerian embssies in NYC, ATL and MD. Its a lot to take in, but do all your plans and research.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 3:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
A sis gave birth last year in MD and it cost $7,999. The method of delivery was CS so I suppose normal delivery may be cheaper. In NYC it is way too expensive. I will recommend you also avoid these areas: North Carolina, NY, Atlanta, Michigan

Someone had a baby at Delaware for $3,500. Another sis paid less than $5,000 in Texas. Portland is also cheap. It would appear that Delaware and Texas are your target

Good luck

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shinatu: 10:48am On Mar 14, 2011
NYC may not be that expensive depending on the Hospital. There are a few Non profit making Chritian hospitals e.g
St John's Episcopal, you could walk in and ask to discuss with the Finance Manager, ask for a discount since you will be paying cash, you can then pay 50% of the agreed cost upfront and the remaining just before leaving the Hospital.

@Dancewith,

Please do you have the name of the MD hospital?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by demi2008(f): 12:02pm On Mar 14, 2011
I'm interested in dis topic
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by demi2008(f): 12:03pm On Mar 14, 2011
@dancewith do u know d name of the hospital on MD
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 4:59pm On Mar 14, 2011
demi2008:

@dancewith do u know d name of the hospital on MD

Sorry I was late to respond. Sinai Hospital in Baltimore to be precise. Contact details:

Sinai Hospital
2401 West Belvedere Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215-5271
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Arlington(f): 6:16pm On Mar 14, 2011
My advice is come with lots of cash because things change everyday! A hospital I was told took 5 to 7 thousand on getting there with the patient who was to have her baby we where told it was 12k just for a deposit.

And especially Nigerians they want your passport details because we are known for running away after child birth. we went to about 4 to 5 hospitals and the cheapest in Maryland was going to cost about 10 to 12 grand.
Please note she must bring along her hospital records and must be in the country before she hit the 32ND week in pregnancy because after then it becomes harder to get a doctor who will see her.
There is a doctor in Holycross hospital in Maryland called Dr Mayan i think he is the only one i know who takes women even at 36 weeks as long as you pay 3,500 just for all the tests alone to be sure the patient is in good health, then you pay him 3,500 for delivery, then you pay the hospital there own fees which is like another 4 to 6 k so still looking at 12k.

Getting the passport is easy after the baby is born the hospital send in the papers so you get THE baby's SS number then you apply for his/her Birth certificate ,then passport you can expedite. The Nigerian passport maybe the difficult one because it could take up to 3 weeks. Make sure you pay every penny because i know of a woman who did Naija style escaped many years ago and today she can not enter into the USA and she is paying about 300 dollars a month now to cover the expenses she incurred years ago for 2 children that where born here a long time ago.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 6:40pm On Mar 14, 2011
Arlington:

My advice is come with lots of cash because things change everyday! A hospital I was told took 5 to 7 thousand on getting there with the patient who was to have her baby we where told it was 12k just for a deposit.

And especially Nigerians they want your passport details because we are known for running away after child birth. we went to about 4 to 5 hospitals and the cheapest in Maryland was going to cost about 10 to 12 grand.
Please note she must bring along her hospital records and must be in the country before she hit the 32ND week in pregnancy because after then it becomes harder to get a doctor who will see her.
There is a doctor in Holycross hospital in Maryland called Dr Mayan i think he is the only one i know who takes women even at 36 weeks as long as you pay 3,500 just for all the tests alone to be sure the patient is in good health, then you pay him 3,500 for delivery, then you pay the hospital there own fees which is like another 4 to 6 k so still looking at 12k.

Getting the passport is easy after the baby is born the hospital send in the papers so you get THE baby's SS number then you apply for his/her Birth certificate ,then passport you can expedite. The Nigerian passport maybe the difficult one because it could take up to 3 weeks. Make sure you pay every penny because i know of a woman who did Naija style escaped many years ago and today she can not enter into the USA and she is paying about 300 dollars a month now to cover the expenses she incurred years ago for 2 children that where born here a long time ago.

I think some Texas hospital has got something like a non immigrant package which is a flat $8,500. If you pay this, it becomes something like a health insurance for the birth. I have heard something like that from a family that went to Texas. But I have seen a close friend who claimed she had a normal delivery in Houston for less than $,5000

I think having the right information is key. Providence in DC used to go for $7k but is now about $13k. In truth it is best to have about $15k or $20k just in case. The good bit is most of these hospital allow six to one year monthly payments but you need a bank account to do that. Also talk to some insurance companies back home. Someone claimed you can now get a health insurance that covers these kind of things offshore. It may be worth checking out

Good luck

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Arlington(f): 6:55pm On Mar 14, 2011
It was providence hospital that we went to that they said they wanted 12k deposit .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shinatu: 10:28am On Mar 15, 2011
dancewith:

Sorry I was late to respond. Sinai Hospital in Baltimore to be precise. Contact details:

Sinai Hospital
2401 West Belvedere Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215-5271

@Dancewith

Thanks. Please, do you know if the $7,999 was for the hospital delivery alone or for both the Doctor (Antinatal care) and delivery?

dancewith:

I think some Texas hospital has got something like a non immigrant package which is a flat $8,500. If you pay this, it becomes something like a health insurance for the birth. I have heard something like that from a family that went to Texas. But I have seen a close friend who claimed she had a normal delivery in Houston for less than $,5000
I think having the right information is key. Providence in DC used to go for $7k but is now about $13k. In truth it is best to have about $15k or $20k just in case. The good bit is most of these hospital allow six to one year monthly payments but you need a bank account to do that. Also talk to some insurance companies back home. Someone claimed you can now get a health insurance that covers these kind of things offshore. It may be worth checking out

Good luck

I know two colleagues who have also had normal delivery in Houston at about this cost.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 2:58pm On Mar 15, 2011
Thx for all ur help, its been very enlightenin. Rather expensive I supose. Is there a fee to obtain the baby passport and are there offices in everystate to get both the baby use and nigerian passport. Thanx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tanyaneeds(f): 5:47pm On Mar 15, 2011
i live in newark.the total cost for you,wife and unborn child shld not be more than 4k if u are comin with an airline like Iberia,you shld be fine with amount.The rest wil be sorted out when you get over here.Watch out for rippers. tanyadutton@yahoo.com

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 7:04pm On Mar 15, 2011
Shinatu:

@Dancewith

Thanks. Please, do you know if the $7,999 was for the hospital delivery alone or for both the Doctor (Antinatal care) and delivery?

Hi.

unfortunately I do not know which was the case but I would suppose this amount is for all. But I am not certain of this. I still think you should go to Texas or Delaware if cost is an issue for you

Good luck
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 7:09pm On Mar 15, 2011
skelemba:

Thx for all your help, its been very enlightenin. Rather expensive I supose. Is there a fee to obtain the baby passport and are there offices in everystate to get both the baby use and nigerian passport. Thanx

Passport cost if quite cheap. It cant be more than $150 for expedited service and much less for normal service.
You can mail out your passport application to the passport office and they will mail your baby's new passport back

Getting a Nigerian passport in the US can be time consuming. If you are in a hurry, your best bet is to get a Nigerian visa for your baby. You can do this by mailing a completed application to the Embassy in Washington DC. Those that have done this say it is pretty much straight forward

Good luck
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 7:28pm On Mar 15, 2011
@ dancewith.  that seems easy. Because we do not intend to spend more than 3weeks after the child birth. Thanks God bless u
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kaluj2: 6:30pm On May 18, 2011
Can somebody clarify to me if it's possible to get a new born baby birth certificate and passport within a period of 1 week with expedited service in USA.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by oyewolejos(m): 9:40pm On May 18, 2011
$4500 in Los Angeles
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shinatu: 7:49am On May 19, 2011
^^^^^^

Although you may be able to get the passport in two days if you expedite depending on your location but from what I know the BC will take between 5days to 1 1/2 weeks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ikechu: 12:32pm On Aug 25, 2011
Please I will equally need your guildance on this. My wife instead delivery in the state and preferable in Maryland. But we don't have relative there.

So when is the best time of pregnancy can we come in.The cost of the cheapest hotel or sub-lease (One bedroom or s self contain) for say 2 to 3 months.The likely cost of the cheapest hospital in maryland and the name of the hospital.

Please how long can someone stay behind to conclude all procedure in terms of post natal visit and passport (US & Nigeria) isssues.

Thanks for your response as I will appreciate a comprehensive details and possible any other state that will be less expensive compared to maryland. Cheers to All.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dustydee: 2:54pm On Aug 25, 2011
I think those that want to give birth in the us are comfortable. Why don't you just give birth in Nigeria and use the money you have to go to the us with your family for shopping and vacation?

10 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by megastu(m): 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2011
@dustydee, your reply is funny.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bomly(f): 1:26pm On Oct 12, 2011
Well you can not travel two weeks or three weeks after delivery, you are only allowed to travel after 2months minimum. Also in Idaho state you can delivery with $4,000 if it's natural birth and no epidoral, anyway I wish you luck.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 10:53pm On Oct 29, 2011
@dancewith,

pls whats the name of the hospital in texas ur sis used dat she paid less than 5k dollars? am going to texas nxt month and i intend to have my baby there, seriously looking out for a very affordable hospital,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
halle2:

@dancewith,

pls whats the name of the hospital in texas your sis used dat she paid less than 5k dollars? am going to texas nxt month and i intend to have my baby there, seriously looking out for a very affordable hospital,

Try Parkland in Dallas.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 9:04pm On Nov 02, 2011
tnx dancewith,

i e-mailed parkland hospital and they replied saying they are not receiving international patients at the moment, that they are only serving residents in dallas county, please anyone with info on a cheap birth center in houston? i really dont mind one since they are like one-third the average hospital price

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.