Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,733 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words (16915 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by chic2pimp(m): 5:32am On Oct 03, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ohhh, so, emi ni public view abi?

se o ti bu mi tan? undecided
You ke? shocked shocked shocked Lai Lai e mi o gbo do so be ooooo. Awon oso ati aje ni mo n ba wi.

I'm so sowry dearie embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 03, 2010
chic2pimp:

You ke? shocked shocked shocked Lai Lai e mi o gbo do so be ooooo. Awon oso ati aje ni mo n ba wi.

I'm so sowry dearie embarassed embarassed embarassed
Apologize by showing me the aworan undecided undecided
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 5:45am On Oct 03, 2010
MaziUche0:

Not it hasn't people are trying to investigate if our languages our similar. Frankly, I do not think so. I see more similarities with Igbo and Ibibio than I do with Igbo and Yoruba. As a native Ibibio and Igbo speaker. . .

That is quite understandable.

At least, Igbos are next door neighbours to Ibibios. But how does 2 isolated groups in their current locations come to have very corrupted, but similar words when the other cultures in-between them dont have such words?

1 Like

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by becomrich4: 7:13am On Oct 03, 2010
chic2pimp, there are ilaje in delta state, they are not much, majority live in ondo state.
See map. After the creek separating ondo and Delta state. there are ilaje people on the other side.

1 Like

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by chic2pimp(m): 7:25am On Oct 03, 2010
becomrich4:

chic2pimp, there are ilaje in delta state, they are not much, majority live in ondo state.
See map. After the creek separating ondo and Delta state. there are ilaje people on the other side.
grin grin grin Interesting

Anyways just cuz they are a few Ilaje peeps in Delta state does not automatically make em' Native Deltans.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by rhymz(m): 7:29am On Oct 03, 2010
becomrich4:

See map.   After the creek separating ondo and Delta state. there are ilaje people on the other side.
. . . One of those numerous empty threats they spew and later rest on their Oars. . .whether they are being used or not, the attack is long overdue, it is high time these rogues started being murdered in cold blood, MEND abeg make una finetune una operation well so that e no go be innocent by-standers loosing their lives. . .
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by becomrich4: 6:37pm On Oct 03, 2010
Olukumi people in delta state speak   akoko dialet of yoruba

2 Likes

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by ezeagu(m): 10:33pm On Oct 03, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I dont believe you're Deltan. You seem and act more Yoruba to me.

You gotta prove your Deltaness to me. . . tongue emi ati e ko common rara. . . Olorun maje!

There are some similarities, just like in almost every language.

Me
Moi
Mi
M

etc.

But ofcourse, you're always ready to separate anything Yoruba and Igbo. Ibibio sounds nothing like Igbo, what similarities?

When did you learn Ibibio?

excanny:

That is quite understandable.

At least, Igbos are next door neighbours to Ibibios. But how does 2 isolated groups in their current locations come to have very corrupted, but similar words when the other cultures in-between them dont have such words?

Are you saying Edo doesn't have similar words with Igbo? Are you saying the Igbo only have similar words with the Yoruba?
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 6:57am On Oct 04, 2010
ezeagu:

Are you saying Edo doesn't have similar words with Igbo? Are you saying the Igbo only have similar words with the Yoruba?

Earlier i gave an example of a shared word 'okwuta/okwute' that exists not only between Igbo, Yoruba and bini but across most of the southern cultures(urhobo, isoko, etc) and it means the same thing- stone.

But there are shared words between Igbo and Yoruba that don't exist in bini, or any of the intermediary cultures between them. How come?
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by ezeagu(m): 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2010
excanny:

Earlier i gave an example of a shared word 'okwuta/okwute' that exists not only between Igbo, Yoruba and bini but across most of the southern cultures(urhobo, isoko, etc) and it means the same thing- stone.

But there are shared words between Igbo and Yoruba that don't exist in bini, or any of the intermediary cultures between them. How come?

In Igbo me is 'Muwa'
In French me is 'moi'

In Igbo land is 'Ala'
In Tikar (of Cameroon) land is 'Ala'

In Igbo group is 'otu'
In Urhobo group is 'otu'

Are the French and Igbo from one language? Not necessarily. Could one have influenced the other without necessarily influencing all the languages that are between them by geography? Yes.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 12:26am On Oct 05, 2010
ezeagu:

In Igbo me is 'Muwa'
In French me is 'moi'

In Igbo land is 'Ala'
In Tikar (of Cameroon) land is 'Ala'

In Igbo group is 'otu'
In Urhobo group is 'otu'

Are the French and Igbo from one language? Not necessarily. Could one have influenced the other without necessarily influencing all the languages that are between them by geography? Yes.

I was expecting some explanation after you said 'Yes'. Could you enlighten us how this is possible?
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by ezeagu(m): 10:11am On Oct 05, 2010
excanny:

I was expecting some explanation after you said 'Yes'. Could you enlighten us how this is possible?

Trade, war, relationships, diplomats. And we know that Edo people share a lot of words with Igbo people.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 11:42am On Oct 05, 2010
Ok. Let leave this argument until more evidences come out. Moreover, this is an inappropriate thread for this subject. We shall meet again.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by oludashmi(f): 11:52am On Oct 05, 2010
excanny:

Pls those boldened words do not exist in Yoruba AT ALL. Probably it sounds like yoruba but the pronunciation is not and neither is the spelling.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by chyz(m): 12:06pm On Oct 05, 2010
oludashmi:

Pls those boldened words do not exist in Yoruba AT ALL. Probably it sounds like yoruba but the pronunciation is not and neither is the spelling.

He meant Okuta/Okwuta/Okwute.They are all similar/related and have the same meaning.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by oludashmi(f): 12:53pm On Oct 05, 2010
Okuta means stone. Even with that the language similarities with Igbo is 0.01%. If you say cultural and lang similarities with the Itsekiri and Edos, I agree.

What does the remaining 2 words mean?

1 Like

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by chyz(m): 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2010
oludashmi:

Okuta means stone. Even with that the language similarities with Igbo is 0.01%. If you say cultural and lang similarities with the Itsekiri and Edos, I agree.

Maybe you're not reading the whole thing. All of those words mean stone.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2010
oludashmi:

I appreciate your contributions.

But i dont seem to get the 2 remaining words you asked about. Maybe, you will need to remind me.

You can only understand best the line of this argument if you have a grasp of the two languages in question.

@ chyz. Thanks
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by oludashmi(f): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2010
excanny:

I appreciate your contributions.

But i dont seem to get the 2 remaining words you asked about. Maybe, you will need to remind me.

You can only understand best the line of this argument if you have a grasp of the two languages in question.

@ chyz. Thanks

Thanks
I meant Okwuta/Okwute. These have no similarities with Yoruba in pronunciation but let me know their meanings.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2010
^^^

For their meaning, I've stated them in my previous posts and chyz also re-stated them.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by Musiwa13: 10:33am On Oct 07, 2010
The olukumi speak akoko in delta state . there are akoko people in Edo state too.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by AndreUweh(m): 12:22pm On Oct 07, 2010
This thread has no business with politics section. Why hasn't Mukina transfered it to the appropriate section or is it because it is not about Igbo.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by chyz(m): 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

This thread has no business with politics section. Why hasn't Mukina transfered it to the appropriate section or is it because it is not about Igbo.

BINGO!
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by AndreUweh(m): 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2010
chyz:

BINGO!
Meaning
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by ifyalways(f): 3:02pm On Oct 07, 2010
@OP,i thought Illaje is In Delta state
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 3:23pm On Oct 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

You are right. If it had contained the word 'Igbo', even if it were a reasonable debate amongst the Igbo, it would have long been thrown into the tribalism section. This really disgusts me. Cant we discuss anymore?

This mukina is just so biased.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by chyz(m): 5:49pm On Oct 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Meaning

Just meaning the only reason it was not moved at the time was because it wasn't about igbo. I was supporting your comment.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by ezeagu(m): 8:00pm On Oct 07, 2010
excanny:

You are right. If it had contained the word 'Igbo', even if it were a reasonable debate amongst the Igbo, it would have long been thrown into the tribalism section. This really disgusts me. Cant we discuss anymore?

Create your own forum.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2010
ezeagu:

Create your own forum.

That still wouldn't deal with the bias.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by ezeagu(m): 4:19pm On Oct 08, 2010
excanny:

That still wouldn't deal with the bias.

How? you have your own forum as in website and you can make sure not to biased no? You can discuss what you want, where you want, no?
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 7:40pm On Oct 08, 2010
ezeagu:

How? you have your own forum as in website and you can make sure not to biased no? You can discu.s what you want, where you want, no?

That is not the issue.

Everybody goes up with some form of biased view or the other. I myself inclusive. But there are some certain things you do, like being a mod, a judge, etc, and you need to put your bias aside and be fair.

You need to be open-minded in circumstances like that. This is what i'm telling mukina2 . Creating my own forum wouldn't be a solution to what i want.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 09, 2010
excanny:

It gets thrown in Racism/ tribalism section because Igbo/Yoruba threads often turn into tribal fights.

And Muki is not Nigerian, so what is there to be biased about?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pidgin Words, Meaning And Origin You Need To Know / Nrurita Uka (debate In Igbo Language). / "Village People" Fact Or Myth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.