Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. (5128 Views)

Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning / EGUSI (melon) Buying/selling & Storage Busines In Nigeria / Egusi Melon In Large Quantity Engine And Handpeel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 9:21pm On Jun 12, 2019
Hello NL farmers ... Finally starting my own thread here. I planted maize, melon and okra,a few others to test. I am going into pepper,would really love the help of our veteran farmers here. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:40am On Jun 14, 2019
Earlier set

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:43am On Jun 14, 2019
Planting is not easy at all.still not through.

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:47am On Jun 14, 2019
My first test plots yielded these...we slowly getting there

1 Like

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:49am On Jun 14, 2019
Anyone here who knows d spacing for shombo?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by shariff84: 6:34am On Jun 14, 2019
Mrkellz:
Anyone here who knows d spacing for shombo?
in the north we used 75cm apart and 25cm inbetween
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Nobody: 6:37am On Jun 14, 2019
Wonderful! kiss
Have you arranged for buyers?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 8:34pm On Jun 18, 2019
sassysure:
Wonderful! kiss
Have you arranged for buyers?

Not really.i stay close to a few major markets so Im not really bothered. Are u a farmer or agropreneur?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 8:34pm On Jun 18, 2019
shariff84:

Thanks...
Is 25cm not too small?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 18, 2019
Mrkellz:

Not really.i stay close to a few major markets so Im not really bothered. Are u a farmer or agropreneur?
No. But I love farmers and always want them to eat the fruit of their labour kiss
All the best to u.

2 Likes

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 7:56am On Jun 19, 2019
sassysure:

No. But I love farmers and always want them to eat the fruit of their labour kiss
All the best to u.

Thanks a lot.
Wish u the best in your endeavors
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by austinomd(m): 10:07am On Jun 21, 2019
Good Day, nice pictures, what varieties of Okro are the mature ones you have in the pictures, are they hybrid or local, did you plant your okro directly on the bed or you did a nursery first
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:03am On Jun 22, 2019
austinomd:
Good Day, nice pictures, what varieties of Okro are the mature ones you have in the pictures, are they hybrid or local, did you plant your okro directly on the bed or you did a nursery first

Dunno d name.just bought from the market.think it's up to 3 different varieties, they're the 3 months type.
I planted directly.as long as it has full sun and adequate water, it'll grow quickly
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:06am On Jun 22, 2019
Pls does anyone know what month pepper prices drop?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by austinomd(m): 5:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
Thanks for ur response, do you mean they have a life cycle of 3 months or first harvest in 3 months?

Sorry for too many questions I seriously need to learn and I believe this platform is a great way to connect with like minds.

Cheers

Mrkellz:

Dunno d name.just bought from the market.think it's up to 3 different varieties, they're the 3 months type.
I planted directly.as long as it has full sun and adequate water, it'll grow quickly
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 2:05am On Jun 25, 2019
austinomd:
Thanks for ur response, do you mean they have a life cycle of 3 months or first harvest in 3 months?

Sorry for too many questions I seriously need to learn and I believe this platform is a great way to connect with like minds.

Cheers

They start production at 3 months and produce for about 3months I heard.dunno cuz mine are still producing.

1 Like

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 9:36pm On Dec 18, 2019
So I've tested out some crops this yr and I've discovered what I like...More posts to come
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 9:40pm On Dec 18, 2019
Okra is something I like and is easy to care for but is only really profitable during the dry season

Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 12:24am On Dec 19, 2019
shariff84:
Could same spacing be used for ata rodo??
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Could same spacing be used for ata rodo??
I don't think so.
Fresh pepper spreads more than shombo from what I've seen. Even this spacing I believe isn't ideal for shombo. I'm trying some out soon to get more Information. nursery already started.
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:26pm On Dec 19, 2019
Mrkellz:

I don't think so.
Fresh pepper spreads more than shombo from what I've seen. Even this spacing I believe isn't ideal for shombo. I'm trying some out soon to get more Information. nursery already started.
What would you recommend then,?? 30cm 40cm 50cm 60cm?? @least what Is the minimum spacing you'll use for ata rodo.. if you're managing space
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 8:16pm On Dec 20, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

What would you recommend then,?? 30cm 40cm 50cm 60cm?? @least what Is the minimum spacing you'll use for ata rodo.. if you're managing space

50cm Column by 50/60cm row in double rows with 1m walkway. I'm no expert though, just what I've deduced so far from the peppers I've seen. I think this spacing would work with more of a slant instead of planting right next to each other.
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:22pm On Dec 20, 2019
Mrkellz:

50cm Column by 50/60cm row in double rows with 1m walkway. I'm no expert though, just what I've deduced so far from the peppers I've seen. I think this spacing would work with more of a slant instead of planting right next to each other.
Thank you very much.. I had this slant system in mind as well,.. I'll use 50cm
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 8:24pm On Dec 20, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Thank you very much.. I had this slant system in mind as well,.. I'll use 50cm
Alright. What cultivar are u planting?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:31pm On Dec 20, 2019
Mrkellz:

Alright. What cultivar are u planting?
Efia (east west seeds)
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 8:41pm On Dec 20, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Efia (east west seeds)

Pls how much did you get it and where from?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:45pm On Dec 20, 2019
Mrkellz:

Pls how much did you get it and where from?
I ordered mine from Ibadan at the rate of 1500 naira per sachet
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 9:10pm On Dec 20, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

I ordered mine from Ibadan at the rate of 1500 naira per sachet

Thanks
How many grams per sachet?
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:15pm On Dec 20, 2019
Mrkellz:

Thanks
How many grams per sachet?
5 gram per sachet, minimum of 1100 seeds
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Mrkellz: 9:26pm On Dec 20, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

5 gram per sachet, minimum of 1100 seeds

That's expensive for an opv o.
Pls send me the contact of the seller. thanks.
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:28pm On Dec 20, 2019
Mrkellz:

I think efia is the best opv seed you'll find in the market,... some will even tell you it is better than most of these hybrid seeds from technicm...
Re: My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:34pm On Dec 20, 2019
Mrkellz:

Sellers contact 07068278983

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Catfish 4-6kg Broodstocks For Sale / Afdb To Increase Fish Production, Others By 5m Tonnes In Africa / FG Earmarks N600m To Compensate Farmers Affected By Bird Flu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.