Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities (14585 Views)

How Many Days Can 10k Take You On Food? / How Much Do You Spend On Food Daily / How To Reduce The Risk Of Food Poisoning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by ijustdey: 10:57am On Jun 13, 2019
Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja

The Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO), an agency of the United Nations, has raised alarm over what it described as worrisome levels contamination of foods in Lagos and Kano States.

The FAO said a “Total Diet” study it carried out in two major Nigerian cities, Lagos and Kano showed various levels of contamination of foods at the point of consumption.

Speaking at an event jointly orgainised by the Federal Ministries of Health and its agriculture counterpart to mark 2019 World Food Safety Day in Abuja, the Country Representative, FAO in Nigeria, Suffyan Koruna said streets foods are now being consumed more than ever before, adding that Nigerians eat at least one meal out of home in restaurants, bukkas and other food vendors.

The FAO country representative who was represented by Mr. Alphonsus Onwuemeka said the organisation conducted a diet study in Lagos and Kano where it discovered rampant unsafe food consumption.

He said: “A Total Diet Study carried out in Lagos and Kano states showed worrisome levels of contamination of foods at the points of consumption with aflatoxins, mycotoxins, heavy metals such as lead and pesticides residues. This should reaweaken Nigeria to the looming health challenges and economic losses that could result from a lack of attention to food safety.”

Onwuemeka said there is a likelihood that similar cases of food contamination exist in other major cities across the country. He said that FAO is in the process of carrying out similar diet studies in other cities.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Mr. A. M. Abdullahi who presided over the event said unsafe food practices can lead to health problems such as typhoid, cholera, diarrhoea, botuslim, listeriosis, hapatitis A and cancer.

He said in order to address food safety threats, the Federal Ministry of Health is working with the state Ministries of Health and Agriculture as well as the Environmental Health Officers Registration Council of Nigeria to further strengthen the work of Environmental Health Officers across the states to be able to check unsafe food practices.

Abdullahi listed unsafe food practices prevalent in the country to include; ” unhealthy cultivation practices through the use of unapproved chemicals (such as calcium carbide in fruit and vegetable ripening) and fertilizers; poor food storage and processing facilities as seen in a number of abattoirs and along the roads; the use of disused tires and kerosene in roasting animals for human consumption; non-hygienic food preparation environments as seen in the way foods are prepared by the roadsides, gutters and near open faecal defecation areas.”

As part of the longterm policy solution, Abdullahi said the Federal Goverment along with other Food Safety stakeholders under the auspices of the National Food Safety Management Committee (NFSMC) have developed the National Food Safety and Quality Bill which was approved by the Federal Executive Council and it is currently at the National Assembly for passage into law.

According to Abdullahi, the Bill is to ensure food control in the country where all tiers of government and MDAs will work together with the Organised Private Sectors (OPS) to ensure the wholesomeness of our food.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), foodborne diseases in 2015 was found to have made approximately 600 million people sick and caused 420,000 untimely deaths.

Unsafe foods have also been shown to lead to yearly productivity losses of about US$95billion in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC).

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/06/13/fao-issues-alert-on-food-poisoning-in-lagos-kano-other-cities/amp/

1 Like

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by camsyross: 12:52pm On Jun 13, 2019
Just rushing, tryna be the first to comment without even reading the post. I know many of us do the same shits... grin. Jay bless us all cool

3 Likes

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by hisexcellency34: 12:53pm On Jun 13, 2019
False alarm....

1 Like

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Etizz: 12:54pm On Jun 13, 2019
I hope its not true oh
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by banio: 12:55pm On Jun 13, 2019
Oyibo eat out pass Nigeria. Anyways what are the facts of this story. Please someone read and summarize

2 Likes

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by TheFacelessMan: 12:57pm On Jun 13, 2019
God damn!
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Eroghero(m): 12:57pm On Jun 13, 2019
How will we not eat nonsence when even the environment is not clean

8 Likes

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by MooreJozo(m): 12:58pm On Jun 13, 2019
lol
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 13, 2019
camsyross:
Just rushing, tryna be the first to comment without even reading the post. I know many of us do the same shits... grin. Jay bless us all cool
Amen lol

1 Like

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by mekleelex200(m): 12:59pm On Jun 13, 2019
Maybe another 'distractive' propaganda or to show the world agencies that are sponsoring them that they are working. What is their standards of the research and conclusion?

2 Likes

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by martineverest(m): 1:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
90 percent of palm oil,ground nut oil and beans sold in Lagos are poisonous....no wonder European Union banned them

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by mamapidgin: 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2019
hmm
Na so we dey chop our food since they carry independence give us and nothing happen no be America or Europe we dey....

however one bad thing that our people indulge in is the application of ripening agent to bring about quick ripening of fruits and some food items, I want to agree with them on this, if that is what they regard as food poisoning

1 Like

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by splendid2: 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2019
hisexcellency34:
False alarm....
It is not false alarm, unless for Kano.
The level of food poisoning in Lagos is alarming which I have been a victim more than once, my colleagues have also complained about it too

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by martineverest(m): 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2019
mekleelex200:
Maybe another 'distractive' propaganda or to show the world agencies that are sponsoring them that they are working. What is their standards of the research and conclusion?
I usually don't believe most statistics churned out by foreign organisation,but I believe this..palm oil,groundnut oil,beans and kpomo are poisonous..there is a reason why European Union banned nigerian export to those foods to their countries

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by salt1: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2019
hisexcellency34:
False alarm....

How is it false? Many of us don't buy meat in the market because they use tyre and kerosene to roast them
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2019
Hospitals go chop
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:05pm On Jun 13, 2019
Food
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Ameboperoo(m): 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2019
This is very true. A lot of food stuff sellers don't care about the life of the final consumers, they only care about the money.
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by 400billionman: 1:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
Ate poisonous rice recently.

Confirmed.

Threw the rest away.
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by calddon(m): 1:09pm On Jun 13, 2019
Eating out isn't great but last last sumtin must kill a man.

Its a well meaning research but who knows, the small level of contamination in them public foods might just be immune boasters to the consumers

Remember the 'fighting poison with poison' theory.

Waramyevensayinsef
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by NdiaraIGBO: 1:11pm On Jun 13, 2019
martineverest:
I usually don't believe most statistics churned out by foreign organisation,but I believe this..palm oil,groundnut oil,beans and kpomo are poisonous..there is a reason why European Union banned nigerian export to those foods to their countries

due to poor packaging i.e. repeated and recurring failure to meet international standards

PLUS the Indians have found a way of producing same food in other parts of the world.

Europeans will never let Africans breathe
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Originalsly: 1:17pm On Jun 13, 2019
They carried out the study... found contaminated food is rampant... I would expect them to treat it as an emergency and immediately begin shutting down places that sell such foods.... and charging the sellers. At the same time they should hire and train staff to do such enforcement. All this talk is telling us what we already know.... no change.

1 Like

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by otokx(m): 1:23pm On Jun 13, 2019
martineverest:
90 percent of palm oil,ground nut oil and beans sold in Lagos are poisonous....no wonder European Union banned them

Have you done any empirical study?
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by OBAGADAFFI: 1:25pm On Jun 13, 2019
Use of dangerous chemicals for preservatives are the reasons for these.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by OBAGADAFFI: 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2019
hisexcellency34:
False alarm....

martineverest:

mekleelex200:

Do you know some people use Sniper to preserve the beans you eat.
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by martineverest(m): 1:29pm On Jun 13, 2019
NdiaraIGBO:

due to poor packaging i.e. repeated and recurring failure to meet international standards

PLUS the Indians have found a way of producing same food in other parts of the world.

the sniper that is usually sprayed on bean to preserve it is what made it poisonous....the chemical/colour That is added to redden palm oil or the mixture mixture of groundnut oil+red powder+palm oil to form palm oil is the Reason....don't also forget that the unregistered groundnut oil u buy from the market are adulterated

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by martineverest(m): 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2019
OBAGADAFFI:

Do you know some people use Sniper to preserve the beans you eat.
that's the major reason it's been banned in Europe and the red oil is usually a mixture of little palm oil+red powder and groundnut oil

the kpomo nand chicken are riddled with embalming fluid while the groundnut oil is 50 percent chemical
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by lilyheaven: 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2019
mekleelex200:
They didn't state how they obtained their results, or they used all the houses and fast foods in lagos and Kano
Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by doctokwus: 1:33pm On Jun 13, 2019
I can attest to this.
Most times when one eats out,diarrhea or at best abdominal discomfort and pain follow.
Quite worrisome indeed.
Was telling someone it wasn't the food per se but more of the poor hygiene that accompanies the preparation,handling and serving.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 13, 2019
martineverest:

Exactly! Remember these threads below about "Poisonous Ponmo" in circulation?

https://www.nairaland.com/5159185/government-warns-residents-poisonous-ponmo

https://www.nairaland.com/5180991/syndicate-behind-poisonous-ponmo-lagos

Two local restaurants (Bukka) where I eat regularly have been selling these poisonous ponmo to the unsuspecting public.

How did I know? I have eaten ponmo to ti kata mi (ponmo wey don swallow pepper) on 3 different occasions and after about 4hours, I get running stomach which automatically leads to diarrhea.

I cured the diarrhea with the salt/sugar solution (half table-spoonful of salt & two table-spoonfuls of sugar in a bottled water)

The instant I probed my Anunnaki DNA for the cause of the recurring diarrhea, the response I got was the Ponmo I've been eating. I went back to the restaurant the following day and ate fufu with eran to ni ishan (meat wey get tendon) instead of ponmo and nothing happened afterwards.

I went back to the restaurant a few days later and ordered ponmo one more time and the diarrhea popped up again some hours later.

I have since stopped eating ponmo and replaced it with goat-meats & eran to ni ishan. grin

My guess is that these poisonous ponmo must have been dispersed & distributed to most of the local restaurants in all the nooks & crannies of the Southwestern States.

Be careful people!

6 Likes

Re: FAO Issues Alert On Food Poisoning In Lagos, Kano, Other Cities by martineverest(m): 1:35pm On Jun 13, 2019
NdiaraIGBO:

u got it wrong..the beans u buy in marketil is riddled with sniper(the poisonous substance)..the palm oil u buy is actually a mixture of little palm oil+ red powder (chemical)+ groundnut oil

the kpomo and chicken u buy are preserved with embalming fluid.... Europeans don't joke the questionable produce. a good example is the GMOs are banned in Europe but are accepted in USA.bleaching creams are banned in Europe but Africans love it....70 percent of ingredients used in making American cosmetics are banned in europe

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hameed Ali: Imported Rice Is Poisonous - Customs Boss / Why Do We Order Food Online Even When Our Parents Trained Us Not To? / Pepper Soup Spice Mix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.