Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium (1030 Views)

The Power Of Equilibrium: A Ritual For Balancing Energies / New Series: The Ten Year Plan 2020-2029: A Decadal Blueprint For Global Impact / Catholic Church Notice About Keeping Of Phones, Wallets, Handbags Goes Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 11:02pm On Jun 16, 2019
You're welcome to follow this new series. It shall be enlightening and impactful.

KEEPING IT REAL With Jonah Amittai
(Maintaining Equilibrium)

Jonah 1:1-3(MSG) “One day long ago, God's Word came to Jonah, Amittai's son:
"Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them.
They're in a bad way and I can't ignore it any longer. But Jonah got up and went
the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port
of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on
board, joining those going to Tarshish—as far away from God as he could get.”

Jonah Amittai is a biblical example of one who kept it real while relating with God,
even though he cared more about his feelings and opinions at the expense of God’s message and instruction. Jonah’s life mirrors a deviation from that which is commonplace among religious circles, not to mention the fact that he lived under the Old Covenant. We must know that God built in us the instinct for free will, the ability to make choices and He won’t violate that order.

Jonah 2:1-7 From inside the fish, Jonah prayed to the LORD his God: When I was
in trouble, LORD, I prayed to you, and you listened to me. From deep in the world
of the dead, I begged for your help, and you answered my prayer. You threw me
down to the bottom of the sea. The water was churning all around; I was
completely covered by your mighty waves. I thought I was swept away from your
sight, never again to see your holy temple. I was almost drowned by the swirling
waters that surrounded me. Seaweed had wrapped around my head. I had sunk
down below the underwater mountains; I knew that forever, I would be a prisoner there. But, you, LORD God, rescued me from that pit. When my life was slipping away, I remembered you-- and in your holy temple you heard my prayer.

In the midst of what seemed a challenging situation (in the belly of the fish), Jonah
opened himself up to God he was running away from revealing his deepest and most profound thoughts. God does not expect anything less from us. He wants you to be ridden of all fears, guilt and every human factor that can pose a threat to us being “real” in our relationship with Him.

While keeping it real, kindly give attention to these:
1. God knows you more than you do of yourself. So, don’t play hide and seek
while relating with Him. Psalms 103: 6-15 “God makes everything come out right; he puts victims back on their feet. He showed Moses how he
went about his work, opened up his plans to all Israel. God is sheer mercy and grace; not easily angered, he's rich in love. He doesn't endlessly nag
and scold, nor hold grudges forever. He doesn't treat us as our sins deserve, nor pay us back in full for our wrongs. As high as heaven is over the earth, so strong is his love to those who fear him. And as far as sunrise
is from sunset, he has separated us from our sins. As parents feel for their children, God feels for those who fear him. He knows us inside and out, keeps in mind that we're made of mud.”

2. Your understanding and insight into the essence, nature and person of
God is indispensable to keeping it real. God’s all loving and he’s got you
covered all the way. Jonah 4:1-2 (MSG) “Jonah was furious. He lost his temper. He yelled at God, "God! I knew it—when I was back home, I knew
this was going to happen! That's why I ran off to Tarshish! I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at
the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness!”

REFLECTIONS:
 Don’t risk obeying God just because you want to act to satisfy your feelings, emotions and plans.
 God is never wrong, hence the need to keep your actions and feelings in check. While keeping it real, maintain equilibrium.

Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 8:12am On Jun 17, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Monday 17th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:*God desires that you keep it real in your relationship with Him. He wants to relate with you just as you are.

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to constantly bring myself into the awareness that You would have me relate with You just as I am.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:16am On Jun 18, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Tuesday 18th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:*When things dont go your way, open yourself up to God. Unbundle everything on your mind to Him, He cares deeply about you.

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, help me to always open myself to You no matter how hurting and unpleasant the situation is. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:14am On Jun 19, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Wednesday 19th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:*Dont hide how you feel from God. He knows what you dont yet know about yourself.
1Peter 5:7

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord Jesus, help me never to lose sight of how much You love and care for me, no matter what. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:15am On Jun 20, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Thursday 20th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:*Dont prioritize your feelings and emotions over Gods instructions. Jonah 1:3

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to heed Your commands and instructions even when its not convenient. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:10am On Jun 21, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Friday 21st June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:*Dont allow anything human (fear, guilt etc) rid you of the joy and peace of relationship with God. 2Timothy 1:7

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to always focus on Your person and nature not my own inadequacies and shortcomings. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:30am On Jun 25, 2019
KEEPING IT REAL: MAINTAINING EQUILIBRIUM with Jonah Amittai (Jonah 1-4)
Part 2- TAKE ACTION

Last weekend was an introduction into our Keeping it Realseries and we saw that God wants us to be real with Him, He wouldn’t want that we hide our feelings and emotions when relating with Him even though He would not have us prioritize that over His commands and instructions.

Our Reference of focus this week is from: Jonah 1:1-3(MSG) “One day long ago, God's Word came to Jonah, Amittai's son: "Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them. They're in a bad way and I can't ignore it any longer. But Jonah got up and went the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on board, joining those going to Tarshish—as far away from God as he could get.”

The story of Jonah Amittai offers great insight into how expedient it is to act on instructions however way it comes and in whichever state it meets us. We must not take for granted the fact that our actions and inactions are accompanied by consequences, either positive or negative. Thus, we cannot afford to turn deaf ears, be indifferent or go the way of our feelings and emotions.

We must also pay attention to the fact that if God demands that Jonah accomplish the task it was because:
•The task isn’t beyond what his ability can manage/what he’s capable of doing. God isn’t out to punish thereby giving you what He knows you cannot handle.
•He has every resource (physical, human and material) at his disposal to accomplish the task.

It is important we know that God’s instructions could come in different forms: as an idea impressed upon your heart, as a clear instruction from His word, as intuition (an inner knowing), as a result of observing/paying attention to details around you and through any other means. However, what’s important is your response to God’s instructions.

Why is it sometimes difficult to take action?

°Restlessly waiting for the right time. There may never be a “right time” to do what needs to be done. To want to wait for the “right time” is to want to wait till eternity. Galatians 1:15-17 (NIV) “15. But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. 17. I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus.

°Overwhelmed by the weight/magnitude of the task. As humans, the weight of the task may appear daunting and overwhelming. Whenever this is the situation, endeavor to shift your gaze off the task and get comfort in the truth that God’s got you.

°Being overtly focused on what you don’t have at the expense of that which you have. You need to get rid of the “I don’t have this”, “I don’t have that” mindset and concentrate your efforts on that which you have.

°Probably the instruction doesn’t make much of sense. You must come to know that God chooses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. John 2:5-7 (NLT) “John 2:5-8 But his mother told the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told the servants "Fill the jars with water." When the jars had been filled, he said, "Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies." So the servants followed his instructions.”

REFLECTIONS
The time to take action is NOW as the right time may never come.

P.S. We apologise for late posts. Network has been unresponsive. Thanks for understanding.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:37am On Jun 25, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Monday 24th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Your actions and inactions have consequences, whether positive or negative. The impact it brings is your choice

*Notes/Prayers:* Father,help me to constantly bring myself into awareness of the impact of my actions and inactions. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:38am On Jun 25, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Tuesday 25th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* God is never going to commit a task into your hands which He knows you cant handle or capable of.

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, I lean on the assurance that You are for me and never against me as I approach every task ahead. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:24am On Jun 26, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Wednesday 26th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* You have been blessed with every resource needed for the accomplishment of whatever task God commits into your care.

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord Jesus, open my eyes to behold every resource available to me to successfully execute the task ahead. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:43am On Jun 28, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Friday 28th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* The time to act is now, there may never be a right or better time to execute that idea or get the task done.

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to always take the bold steps and make the appropriate move just in time. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:44am On Jun 28, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Thursday 27th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Dont be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task. Instead, lean on God for strength and support.

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to constantly acknowledge You as my source and to look to You as the author and finisher of my life. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 8:08am On Jun 29, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Saturday 29th June 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:*
Even when God's command does not make sense, still step out in faith.
*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, please help me to trust in you at all times and never to lean on my own understanding. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:00am On Jul 01, 2019
KEEPING IT REAL – Episode 3 The Strategist, The Centerpiece and The Blueprint.

Last weekend was an insightful episode in our Keeping it Real series. We considered the subject: “Take Action” and we saw the importance of acting on instructions and not ignoring the nudging God impresses on our hearts. Also, it was clear that our actions and inactions come with consequences too obvious to ignore.
Our Reference this week is from: Jonah 1:1-3(MSG) “One day long ago, God's Word came to Jonah, Amittai's son: "Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them. They're in a bad way and I can't ignore it any longer. But Jonah got up and went the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on board, joining those going to Tarshish—as far away from God as he could get.”
The centerpiece is the link between the Strategist and His blueprint and so her importance cannot be ignored. In the case of Jonah Amittai, God being the strategist had a blueprint (to save that big city called Nineveh), of which Jonah was critical to executing that plan. Every human being is precious and important to God. God is faultless, He is not wasteful, He knows all and sees the deepest part of your heart and He sure designed you for a purpose.
God, the master strategist has the grand plan of restoring all of humanity to himself of which a centerpiece is needed to carry out that plan. 1Timothy 2:4-5 (CEV). “God wants everyone to be saved and to know the whole truth, which is, There is only one God, and Christ Jesus is the only one who can bring us to God. Jesus was truly human, and he gave himself to rescue all of us.”
To be chosen as a centerpiece out of all other piece is a privilege, it means you have something different from every other piece. And no one has anything except if he is given by God. 1 Corinthians 4:6-7 (CEV) Friends, I have used Apollos and myself as examples to teach you the meaning of the saying, "Follow the rules." I want you to stop saying that one of us is better than the other. What is so special about you? What do you have that you were not given? And if it was given to you, how can you brag?
A strategy describes how the ends (blueprints) will be achieved by the means (centerpiece). Mintzberg et al (1996)

Points of attraction in Nineveh’s saga:
· The distress of the Strategist: God said the evil of the Ninevites has come up to Him, so He designed a blueprint for their salvation. Out of this distress was found Love (Nineveh), Grace (Jonah) and Compassionate correction (Ninevites and Jonah).
· Mischief of the Centrepiece: Jonah trying to run away from the presence of God was like telling the person that created the heavens and the earth that He is a stationary being. And the fact that Jonah knew the attributes of God and he was trying to cause the peril of a whole child-like city.
Jonah 4:10-11 “But the Lord said, “you have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city” NIV. Sometimes we need to try and put ourselves in God’s shoes to understand His acts, if Jonah had thought of this he wouldn’t have tried to outsmart God’s plan of salvation.
REFLECTIONS:
“Understanding brings the human soul to compassion, and compassion is the cornerstone of love” Anonymous .
If only Jonah understood the innocence of a child, he wouldn’t have tried to deprive the Ninevites the salvation of the lord.
God’s plan is for humanity to be restored to Him and you are at the centre of that plan. God needs your permission (an earthly suit) to invade earth and to fill all with his radiance and glory.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:01am On Jul 01, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Monday 1st July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Take time to ponder the privilege bestowed on you to be God's own and to be a centrepiece in His grand plan. 1 John3:1

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, I am grateful for every privilege and benefit that knowing you has bestowed on me.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:32am On Jul 02, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for me Tuesday 2nd July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* You are precious and important to God. He designed you with a purpose in mind. Ephesians 1:3-6

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to see myself in the light of who You say I am and to acknowledge every good thing I have in You. Amen.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:15am On Jul 03, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Wednesday 3rd July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Theres a place/an assignment for you in Gods blueprint for humanity. He needs you as much as you need Him.

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, give me clarity of purpose and daily insight into Your will for my life. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:53am On Jul 04, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Thursday 4th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* There is nothing you have now that was not given to you. You have been blessed to be a blessing. John 3:27

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord Jesus, help me to constantly acknowledge You as the source of my life. Help me not to be selfish with Your blessing. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:16pm On Jul 05, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Friday 5th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Our God is compassionate, rich in love and fully of mercy. We his children should seek to exude such attributes.

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to be more like You in kindness and love towards others as I go about my daily activities. Amen.

P.S. I apologise for late posting. Power supply was unavailable.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:49pm On Jul 07, 2019
KEEPING IT REAL – Episode 4
PROCESSING THE PROCESS

Jonah 1:1-3(MSG) “One day long ago, God's Word came to Jonah, Amittai's son:
"Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them.
They're in a bad way and I can't ignore it any longer. But Jonah got up and went
the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port
of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. Hepaid the fare and went on
board, joining those going to Tarshish—as far away from God as he could get.”

Every aspect of the human journey has been pre-ordained by God. All experiences – challenges, successes, failures, wins, losses, etc. are all designed as parts of a

bigger picture. The aspects of Jonah’s experiences that were documented in the Bible also confirm this. To further bring this into perspective, each of Jonah’s
experiences will be examined:
•The Call (Jonah 1:1-2): The first introduction that we have of Jonah Amittai is God’s instruction to him to pass judgement on Nineveh because of their sins.

Below are some of the points to note in this instance:

 Hearing God’s voice was normal with Jonah. This is an essential quality if we must be LifePorts in the world today. (John 10:25-30)

 God sent a man to a nation. The importance of working in obedience whenever we are sure that God is leading us has far-reaching effects and cannot be over-emphasised. (Hebrews 5:8-9)

Ships to Tarshish (Jonah 1:3): Instead of obeying God’s instruction, Jonah decided to run over 3000 miles away from the place God sent him. (Joppa was 550 miles to Nineveh, and Tarshish, 2,500 miles away in the opposite direction from Joppa).

Below are some points to note in this instance:

 There was an available ship going to Tarshish. There are always options away from God’s instruction. The options could be any kinds of ‘ships’ –friendship, courtship, companionship, relationship, partnership, etc. however they are enmity against God. (James 4:4)

 He paid for the trip. Disobedience usually comes at great cost, obedience has been paid for. (Isaiah 53:5-6)
In the Depths of the Sea (Jonah 1:15-17; Ch2): When God caused a strong wind to blow, and the ship was at the verge of perishing, Jonah was sacrificed to calm
the sea and was subsequently swallowed for three days by a great fish that God
had prepared. Let us note the following:

 The merchants on the ship believed in God. God will get His job done either ways. Its either we are the blessing (messenger) or the lesson.

 God prepared a fish to swallow Jonah for three days. God never leaves His own; He does the utmost to give us a redeeming chance. Jonah’s own came through the three days recess in the fish’s belly. (Isaiah 1:16-20).

 Jonah prayed to God in faith. He spoke to God with conviction that He hears him; sets his sight on God’s temple; and thanks God for his salvation while in the fish’s belly. (Mark 11:24 & Hebrews 1:2-4; 12:2)

•The Parable of the Covering Plant (Jonah 4:6-11): After fulfilling God’s command, Jonah did not want the city to be forgiven. Then God prepares a lesson for Him on purpose, selfless, and value for human life.

 God wanted to convince Jonah. God could have ignored Jonah after He
delivers the message to Nineveh, however, He still set out to convince him
through the parable of the covering plant.

 God values human life and salvation is the ultimate purpose of all that He does to and for all human beings. (John 3:16)

•Your Experience is a Process
God is not haphazard in all that he does. He arranged the world, humans, and our experiences with so much precision, and, it is all out of love, and for our good. It
takes faith to see this and to approach life from this point. We must therefore develop a lasting and working relationship with God in His Word, prayer, and
fellowship with His other children. So, we must live our lives with the understanding that our experiences are essential parts of a bigger picture.

We must also exercise caution and know that we are not above the people God sends us to. Jonah too had some repenting to do. In the end, Salvation – Christ, is the ultimate purpose of God.

What are we going through today? Let us ask God to help us know how to process our experiences as parts of a process to save us and to make us a Life Port to
others (usually nations). Let us ask God to help us know how to align our desires to His ultimate plan and purpose.

REFLECTIONS:
 Disobeying God is actually more costly than obedience; and, whereas
we pay for disobedience, obedience has already been paid for.
 God loves the next person as much as He loves us. So, just as He saved us in our own sin, He is looking to save them too. Let us align our thoughts with His and become a channel of life to this dying world.
Shalom
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 8:44am On Jul 08, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Monday 8th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* God desires to communicate with us as friends. He wants to relate with you just as you are. John 10:25-30

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to constantly bring myself into the awareness that You would have me relate with You just as I am. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:57am On Jul 09, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Tuesday 9th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Usually, our lifes purposes are beyond us. Us simply obeying God will save nations of the earth. Hebrews 5:8-9

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, help me to always open myself to Your purposes for me and to my generation. Amen.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:22am On Jul 10, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Wednesday 10th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* There are always available options away from God. We must resist the temptation of using them even when they look like easy ways out of God's instructions. James 4:4

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord Jesus, help me never to go away from Your instructions no matter what. Hold me by Your love. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:30am On Jul 11, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Thursday 11th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* God uses humans to bring the good tidings to the world. These are life ports.
Mark 16:15

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to remain Your port into the world, and a useful instrument for Your course. Amen.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:00am On Jul 12, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Friday 12th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Conversing with God from the position of faith is more efficient than from the position of complaints or fear. Mark 11:24

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to always know that You hear me, that You are with me and that You will do whatever I ask in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:12am On Jul 15, 2019
KEEPING IT REAL- EPISODE 5
SEEING BEYOND YOU- THE GLORY OF LIVING

Last weekend was another awesome episode in our Keeping it Real series.
We considered the subject: 'Processing the Process' and we saw that every aspect of our journey has been pre-ordained by God and that all experiences, challenges, successes, failures are all designed as parts of a bigger picture. We also saw that God loves the next person as much as He loves us and He wants us to align our thoughts with His and become a channel of life to the world.

Our Reference this week is from: Jonah 1:1-3(MSG) One day long ago, God's Word came to Jonah, Amittai's son: "Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them. They're in a bad way and I can't ignore it any longer. But Jonah got up and went the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on board, joining those going to Tarshish as far away from God as he could get.�

Humans are generally interdependent. Life in isolation would have been a boring, uneventful and unexciting place to say the least and that in the first place is the essence of the instruction, be fruitful, multiply, replenish the earth and subdue it. The world is a social enterprise, hence it is important to cultivate a global perspective that sees things beyond you.

At some point we must come to the realization that our actions and inactions have consequences and in end others get affected. Jonah received the instruction to go preach to the people of Nineveh, he chose to travel as far from his assignment as he could get. Jonah’s actions had serious implications, they are:

Loss of properties: The travellers on board had to discard some of their properties when the wind started. Jonah 1:5 �The sailors were frightened, and they all started praying to their gods. They even threw the ship's cargo overboard to make the ship lighter. All this time, Jonah was down below deck, sound asleep.

Anguish: It was a great battle on that sea as men were scared for their lives. Even at the point where straws have been drawn and the culprit identified, they felt terrible about throwing Jonah over board.
Jonah 1:14-15 �So they prayed to the LORD, "Please don't let us drown for taking this man's life. Don't hold us guilty for killing an innocent man. All of this happened because you wanted it to." Then they threw Jonah overboard, and the sea calmed down.�

Delay:Jonah could have saved himself the stress he went through if he had gone to where he was sent. In the end, he still delivered the message. In reality, between the days he chose to do things his own way, some may have lost their lives and more wrong deeds may have ensued.
Jonah 4:10-11(CEV) �But the LORD said: You are concerned about a vine that you did not plant or take care of, a vine that grew up in one night and died the next. In that city of Nineveh there are more than a hundred twenty thousand people who cannot tell right from wrong, and many cattle are also there. Don't you think I should be concerned about that big city?

In the end, it’s never about you. Jonah refused to pay attention to the purpose of the message; he was overtly focused on himself, his safety and his prejudice about the people of Nineveh but God humbled him by the experiences he went through even and after he heeded God’s instructions. God’s intent was to save Nineveh, even though everything Jonah saw and proclaimed was destruction and judgment. As it was with Jonah, so it is with us.

God engineers the process and experiences of our life to align our perspectives with His, He would have us come to the realization that our lives is beyond us. Even Jonah’s disobedience was part of a grand plan to save him, the people on the ship to Tarshish who may never have had the opportunity to know God and the great city of Nineveh.

REFLECTIONS:
•God wants you to see your life beyond you (your personal ambition, your needs, your family etc). He didn’t design you to live for you alone, but to live to bring glory to Him and to make you a Life Port to nations in His name.
•Cultivating God’s kind of perspective is a conscious and deliberate effort; it is a consequence of a loving and growing relationship with God. What makes God’s heart beat must make yours beat too. John 15:1-7.

Have a great week keeping it real, maintaining equilibrium and seeing beyond you. Cheers
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 10:09am On Jul 15, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Monday 15th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Take time to ponder on the instructions that has come to you per time and how you responded to them.

*Notes/Prayers:* Henceforth, Lord I choose to follow and obey Your instructions no matter what. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Tuesday 16th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Your actions and inactions are not without consequences and rewards.

*Notes/Prayers:* Father, help me to always take the right step at every turn. Let my actions be consistent with Your instructions per time. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 6:14am On Jul 17, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Wednesday 17th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* God orchestrates your experiences and circumstances as a tool to total dependence on Him and a part of His global plan. Eph. 1:11-12(MSG)

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, help me to see You at work in my life always and let Your word lighten every dark part in me. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 8:24am On Jul 18, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Thursday 18th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* You were not designed to live for you alone. A sure path to fulfillment in life is living out your full potential for God's glory and the good of humanity.

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, I choose to make the rest of my life a source of blessing and impact for Your glory and for humanity. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 9:45am On Jul 19, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Friday 19th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* Cultivating a growing and loving relationship with God is crucial to seeing things God's way. John 15:5

*Notes/Prayers:* Lord, help me to be more like You in the way I think and to see things from Your perspective not mine. Amen
Re: New Series: Keeping It Real: Maintaining Equilibrium by LifePortConnect: 8:41am On Jul 20, 2019
```Focus For Daily Personal Reflections/Devotion for Saturday 20th July 2019```

*Focus/Reflection:* God is ever pointing your attention to the bigger picture. Your life is beyond you. Mark 10:45(MSG)

*Notes/Prayers:* Dear Lord, help me to always see the bigger picture. Teach me to see beyond me in all I do. Amen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? / Countdown To The 5th Year Anniversary Of Jehovah And Allah's Imprisonment / That They May Be One As We Are One: A Prayer Fulfilled and Answered..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.