Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,445 members, 7,861,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:47 AM

Shorunmu: Goalkeepers Are My Super Eagles AFCON 2019 Worries - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shorunmu: Goalkeepers Are My Super Eagles AFCON 2019 Worries (380 Views)

CAF Withdraws AFCON 2019 Hosting Rights From Cameroon / Seychelles Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2019 Qualifier - 0 - 3 (Full Time) / Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shorunmu: Goalkeepers Are My Super Eagles AFCON 2019 Worries by agukayode(m): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2019
Ike Shorunmu, a former Nigeria goalkeeper and goalkeeper trainer has informed Completesports.com that his worries concerning the Super Eagles’ campaign at the 32nd Africa Cup of Nations billed to kick off this weekend in Egypt lie in the goalkeeping department.
“It is too late a time to begin to ask for or look for alternative, so the coaches must make do with what is available,” Shorunmu, an AFCON winner in 2013 as goalkeeper coach with Super Eagles under (now late) Stephen Keshi in South Africa remarked.
Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr, listed three goalkeepers; Francis Uzoho (Anorthosis Famagusta, Cyprus), Daniel Akpeyi (Kaiser Chiefs, South Africa) and Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Katsina United, Nigeria) for the tournament.
But Shorunmu, himself a former goaltender of Besiktas of Turkey, reckons it will be difficult for him to stick out his neck for a realiable number one amongst the trio.
“(Francis) Uzoho has not been consistent at his club and country of late, (Ikechukwu) Ezenwa has also been off and on and (Daniel) Akpeyi, I don’t know.
“But the coaches are much closer there in camp with them. They are closer to them so they know better”.
A former Shooting Stars of Ibadan shot stopper, Shorunmu believes the Super Eagles have done pretty well in the buildup to the African 2019.
He reasons that it is important for them to get their campaign off to a winning start.
“The outcome of your first game in a major championship like the AFCON determines your journey in the championship,” the former Enyimba, FC Ifeanyi Ubah and Sunshine Stars goalkeeper coach stated.
“A win boosts your confidence, brightens your chances of further progression in the championship.
“Yes, Burundi are our first opponent. No team is cheap this time. They have their high points to have reached this stage.
“So, it is expected Burundi won’t be a walk in the park. Who knows, it could turn out to be a fourth AFCON title win for the Super Eagles at the end of the day,” Shorunmu stressed.
https://www.completesports.com/shorunmu-goalkeepers-are-my-super-eagles-afcon-2019-worries/

Re: Shorunmu: Goalkeepers Are My Super Eagles AFCON 2019 Worries by Andersonjr(m): 6:49pm On Jun 19, 2019
Very true
Re: Shorunmu: Goalkeepers Are My Super Eagles AFCON 2019 Worries by agukayode(m): 7:12pm On Jun 19, 2019
this is d real issue now

(1) (Reply)

AFCON Pairings For Round Of 16 Complete / TRAGIC: Body Of Missing Swiss Female Footballer Finally Found / Paul Pogba Jets Out Of Manchester United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.