Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,844 members, 7,828,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject (18428 Views)

Lagos Orders Reintroduction Of History Into School Curriculum / Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate / Anambra Commences On Air Teaching Of Pupils, Students Today On ABS Radio 88.5FM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by gknight(m): 12:26am On Jun 22, 2019
An excellent development. But unfortunately, the new generation will soon come to realize that among Nigerian leaders, one is nicknamed "recession." Truly if Nigerians had a sense of history, we would not be in this wonderful change[s][/s] chains we are into. Santayana was indeed inspired when he declared that those who forget history are bound to repeat it. Let's not repeat the past any further, let the study of history inspires our future.
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by victor8269: 12:46am On Jun 22, 2019
itsme01:
grin

this should be intresting , the kids wont have to learn falsified history from IndecentStar kanu,

The History of why some certain people can never smell ASO rock, even after 50 years , this days sef minority leader of NASS have evaded them.
................................................................................................................................................................
General Obasanjo's many brave conquered battles plus territories and one General that ran to Congo abi na Burkina faso
leaving Brave General Ekpeyung to surrender after intense starvation and cannibalism
................................................................................................................................................................
You can never be a teacher. There's too much hate in your heart

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by Anoniemos01: 12:50am On Jun 22, 2019
Meehn.. This could have been one of my favourite subjects in sec. school!

I still can't wrap my head around the exact reason they had to scrap such a sweet subject like that...
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by itsme01: 1:50am On Jun 22, 2019
victor8269:

You can never be a teacher. There's too much hate in your heart

Hate for who, is it the people been beating in Togo and Ghana abi who

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by macof(m): 2:17am On Jun 22, 2019
Blue3k:

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/336218-nigeria-orders-teaching-of-history-as-standalone-subject.html
finally.
Maybe a little world and African history to build Africanists and world citizens out of our children
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by Tonnierichy(m): 2:57am On Jun 22, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
bad idea
God don't make mistakes. I would have said your existence is a bad idea.
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by seunadeolu(m): 6:43am On Jun 22, 2019
LAPTOP PC For Sale
LENOVO E440
icore 5
6g RAM
500 HDD
WEBCAM
14INCHES SCREEN

Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by Born2Breed(f): 7:18am On Jun 22, 2019
Nice one at least the next generation will be better than the present one who knew nothing about their past but argue blindly.

History would have made a lot people know the disaster Buhari was in the 80's and now.

How Danjuma shouting up and down was a brutal killer, how IBB has been an evil genius, how OBJ has been a serial betrayal, how Gowon was a puppet,how Murtala massacred almost all the male from age 8 and above at Asaba, how Ojukwu ego made him murder the first coup plotters, how Igbo's has always been massacred before independence,how the three founding fathers were the architect of nepotism and tribalism, how the north were systematically made poor by their leaders so they can easily be used at will, how the that of this was caused by that.... grin
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by HeyCorleone(m): 8:39am On Jun 22, 2019
JeromeBlack:

See how ignorant you are? This is actually why we need history. Many Nigerian tribes did not engage in any type of slavery until whites came.

Some that resisted slavery were killed. Case in point Jaja of Opobo.

Ignorant? Lol.

Anyone with a basic knowledge in history knows that most precolonial African societies engaged in slave trade long before the whites came. The Arabs were the major buyers before then. Slaves were an essential commercial product that characterised the precolonial period. It's a known fact. Empires like Oyo, Asante, Kano, Mali, Wolof, Kanem Bornu, are just a few of the many West African places were slave trade thrived.

It's improbable to think that the Europeans introduced slave trade to us. Every fact available contradicts that v
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by eagleeye2: 8:52am On Jun 22, 2019
Chukwurah003:
The PDP will not like this because generations unborn will learn how they are criminals and ruined Nigeria until PMB came in to save us from collapse. Bloody criminals!
Generations unborn would also learn how General Mohammadu Buhari also truncated the second republic through a coup D etat.
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by JeromeBlack: 11:38am On Jun 22, 2019
HeyCorleone:

Ignorant? Lol.

Anyone with a basic knowledge in history knows that most precolonial African societies engaged in slave trade long before the whites came. The Arabs were the major buyers before then. Slaves were an essential commercial product that characterised the precolonial period. It's a known fact. Empires like Oyo, Asante, Kano, Mali, Wolof, Kanem Bornu, are just a few of the many West African places were slave trade thrived.

It's improbable to think that the Europeans introduced slave trade to us. Every fact available contradicts that v

Were most Africans using slaves labour to farm? No. Family members farm.

What monetary system was used to sell and buy slaves between Africans?

Who were buying these slaves?

Why is there no title for "slave chief" in Yoruba? There is for the chief of warriors- Balogun, there is for the chief of the kings men.

Why is it that there is no specific word for "slave" in most Nigerian languages? Why is it that the word for slave is also servant in these languages?

You are a disgrace to your African ancestors. Look at your brothers and ask yourself if you would sell them into slavery. If your answer is no, then apply that to your ancestors. Do you think we were rushing to sell ourselves? Yes, there were greedy african men and greedy tribes but not all of them were trading slaves.
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by MrSly(m): 12:19pm On Jun 22, 2019
Chukwurah003:
The PDP will not like this because generations unborn will learn how they are criminals and ruined Nigeria until PMB came in to save us from collapse. Bloody criminals!
When I saw your moniker I became weak. All you could remember is PDP and your god PMB. Afonja with identity issue.

Meanwhile I am back from ban by one afonja mode

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by HeyCorleone(m): 12:24pm On Jun 22, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Were most Africans using slaves labour to farm? No. Family members farm.

What monetary system was used to sell and buy slaves between Africans?

Who were buying these slaves?

Why is there no title for "slave chief" in Yoruba? There is for the chief of warriors- Balogun, there is for the chief of the kings men.

Why is it that there is no specific word for "slave" in most Nigerian languages? Why is it that the word for slave is also servant in these languages?

You are a disgrace to your African ancestors. Look at your brothers and ask yourself if you would sell them into slavery. If your answer is no, then apply that to your ancestors. Do you think we were rushing to sell ourselves? Yes, there were greedy african men and greedy tribes but not all of them were trading slaves.

This is rather infantile. What do you think the Yoruba word "Eru" means? If you converse with most Africans, you'd understand that the word "slave" exists in their local lexicon.

Asking if we had slave labour on the farms.

Whenever two African societies went to war, the victorious country took the vanquished as slaves. It's a normal thing. A very recent book that can help you understand is The Women of Owu, were after the citiy was burned, the warriors took the women as slaves.

The absence of slave labour on farms was due to the fact that the slaves weren't for personal amusement, but simply for trade. If you read accounts of Arab scholars in Africa, you'd understand that indeed slaves were an article in precolonial Africa.

Monetary system to buy slaves? Wow. Are you so stupid? What monetary system was used to buy basic goods? Wasn't it the barter system?

How many languages do you know? You can't just stay in your village and assume, without proper research, that there is no word for "slave" in indigenous African languages. It's insane. Africa is bigger than your street. Go on Facebook, if you can't afford a flight ticket. Mix up with other Africans. Ask if indeed the word "slavery" or "slave" doesn't exist in their local lexicon.

Don't just come hear and pull facts out of thin air.

Saying since because I can't sell my fellow man automatically means my ancestors never did. That's the most idiotic thing I've heard all year.

Wasn't it on this same Nairaland, yesterday, that we saw that a Cameroonian woman in Imo wanted to sell a 6 year old Hausa boy. Don't fellow Nigerians sell people into prostitution in Italy and other European cities? Aren't they people who take their fellow village people to sell them as slave to Libyans? Ghanaians beat some Nigerians last week in their country, do you think given the chance, they won't sell them?

Using present day conditions to negate the fact that blacks didn't practice slave trade before hand, is as good as shooting yourself in the foot.
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by JeromeBlack: 12:53pm On Jun 22, 2019
HeyCorleone:

This is rather infantile. What do you think the Yoruba word "Eru" means? If you converse with most Africans, you'd understand that the word "slave" exists in their local lexicon.

Asking if we had slave labour on the farms.

Whenever two African societies went to war, the victorious country took the vanquished as slaves. It's a normal thing. A very recent book that can help you understand is The Women of Owu, were after the citiy was burned, the warriors took the women as slaves.

The absence of slave labour on farms was due to the fact that the slaves weren't for personal amusement, but simply for trade. If you read accounts of Arab scholars in Africa, you'd understand that indeed slaves were an article in precolonial Africa.

Monetary system to buy slaves? Wow. Are you so stupid? What monetary system was used to buy basic goods? Wasn't it the barter system?

How many languages do you know? You can't just stay in your village and assume, without proper research, that there is no word for "slave" in indigenous African languages. It's insane. Africa is bigger than your street. Go on Facebook, if you can't afford a flight ticket. Mix up with other Africans. Ask if indeed the word "slavery" or "slave" doesn't exist in their local lexicon.

Don't just come hear and pull facts out of thin air.

Saying since because I can't sell my fellow man automatically means my ancestors never did. That's the most idiotic thing I've heard all year.

Wasn't it on this same Nairaland, yesterday, that we saw that a Cameroonian woman in Imo wanted to sell a 6 year old Hausa boy. Don't fellow Nigerians sell people into prostitution in Italy and other European cities? Aren't they people who take their fellow village people to sell them as slave to Libyans? Ghanaians beat some Nigerians last week in their country, do you think given the chance, they won't sell them?

Using present day conditions to negate the fact that blacks didn't practice slave trade before hand, is as good as shooting yourself in the foot.

You are quite ignorant. There are over 250 tribes in Nigeria. Were all of them trading slaves?

This is how one clown in the future will claim that all tribes in Nigeria were killing twins whereas it was only one tribe doing the deed.

I didn't not ask for the yoruba word for slave. I asked the yoruba word for slave chief.

What is the word for slave in urhobo, isoko etc? I tell you now that most of these languages do not distinguish between servant and slaves.

You are even asking about current day Nigerians selling slaves and prostitutes to north Africa and Europe. Oga, are majority of Nigerians Yahoo boys and slave traders? So you will use a minority to judge a majority?

Oga, use your sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by tck2000(m): 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2019
History
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 22, 2019
northvietnam:
Long over due

Thank You Mr President
First time I see you commending Buhari
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by northvietnam(m): 8:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
papiforreal:

First time I see you commending Buhari

I am the only true patriot on Nairaland. If Mr President misbehaves, i lambast him and if he does something worth commending then i will sing his Praises.

Not those that supports his economic blunders and disrespect for rule of law just cuz of political or religious or tribal affiliation.
Re: Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject by UncletC: 10:50pm On Jan 08, 2020
Blue3k:

Ive never went to school to school in Nigeria. It's what Ive always heard and majority hear agree. You seem to be contradicting yourself in both post you made. Did Buhari remove it 4yrs ago or in 3yrs ago.

Lastly lets say he did why didnt didnt the states who pay for schools keep it. The FG sets minimum standards not maximum. If you have an article proving otherwise I'd like to see.
There is a standard curriculum for all Nigerian schools, so professional exams are drawn from here. If in the federal curriculum there is no history, certainly Waec will not print history for candidates, in the first place, there will be no registration for such subject. Sir, few history teachers will not be able to raise dust over this issue neither will any school do it ....it is the stake holders in education but they are inactive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Teargas, Shoot & Chase LAUTECH Students Protesting 7 Months Strike / Covenant University School Fees Payment 2015/2016 08033623850 / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.