Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,221 members, 7,811,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack (975 Views)

Breaking News: Israeli Missile Hits Iran, U.S. Officials Confirm. / United States �� Attacks Iran �� With Missile Air Strikes,third War Loading / BREAKING: US Air Force officer defects to Iran with info 'seriously damaging' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by daroz(m): 4:54am On Jun 23, 2019
The US reportedly launched a cyber attack on Iran in response to the downing of unmanned drone. Cyber security firms have also reported a rise in Iranian attempts to hack US government agencies and companies.
The United States launched an offensive cyber strike against Iranian missile control systems and a spy network this week amid escalating tensions between the two countries, US media reported on Saturday.

US President Donald Trump ordered US Cyber Command to launch the digital strikes on Thursday, The Washington Post reported.
Read more: Six hack attacks that shook the world
Citing US officials, the newspaper reported that the attack crippled Iranian computers used to control rocket and missile launches.

The cyber attack came as the president held back from conducting airstrikes on Iranian targets in response to the downing of an US Global Hawk drone. Washington said the unmanned drone was in international airspace. Tehran said it was in its airspace. 
Trump claimed he called off the conventional military strike after he learned 150 people would be killed and said it would not have been "proportionate." Instead, he said Saturday the US would announce new sanctions on Iran next week. 
A conventional strike could have triggered an Iranian military response and brought the entire Middle East into a major conflagration.
Read more: Iran-US tensions flare in the Persian Gulf: What's at stake

Yahoo News first reported the cyber attack. Citing two former intelligence officials, it reported that US Cyber Command targeted an Iranian spy group that has tracked the movement of ships passing through the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
The cyber offensive was reportedly in the works for weeks and was first proposed followed last week's attacks on two oil tankers. US officials blamed Iran for the attacks. Iran denies any involvement. 

Iran threatens to set region ablaze
Tensions between between the two countries have spiked since Washington last year withdrew from the 2015 international nuclear deal and imposed a steady stream of sanctions that have choked off Iranian oil sales and crippled its economy.
Iran has shown no signs it will buckle under the Trump administration's "maximum pressure campaign," which analysts say has only hardened Tehran's resolved and strengthened the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp.
On Saturday, a senior spokesperson from the Iranian armed forces warned that a US military strike would trigger a crushing response.
"A military mistake from the enemy, particularly from the US and its regional allies, will be tantamount to firing at a powder keg on which are the US and its interests, and it will set the region ablaze and burn up the US, its interests, and its allies," Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi told the semi-official Tasnim news agency.
US sees spike in hacks from Iran
The cyber strike came as US cyber security firms and the Department of Homeland Security said Iran has recently increased its digital attacks against the US government and businesses.
Cyber security firms CrowdStrike and FireEye said that suspected Iranian-state backed hackers have targeted US government agencies, as well as critical infrastructure, including oil and gas.
The hackers used spear-phishing emails to hack into US systems, although it is unclear if any were successful.

The Department of Homeland Security's agency tasked with infrastructure protection said in a statement Saturday that it was aware of a recent rise in cyber activities against the US government by Iranian regime actors and proxies.
"What might start as an account compromise, where you think you might just lose data, can quickly become a situation where you've lost your whole network," said Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Director Christopher Krebs.
The US and Iran have previously engaged in cyber warfare.
In 2010, the US and Israel used the so-called Stuxnet virus to disrupt centrifuges at an Iranian uranium enrichment facility.
Iran showed its capabilities in 2012 when it infected state-owned oil company Saudi Aramco with a virus that erased data on 30,000 computers.
In 2016, the US indicted seven Iranian hackers for cyber attacks on US banks and a small dam in New York.
https://m.dw.com/en/us-hits-iran-with-cyber-attack-reports/a-49316935

Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by bluecircle470: 5:03am On Jun 23, 2019
USA got no chill.
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by Kingosytex(m): 5:11am On Jun 23, 2019
Trump, please give peace a chance to reign
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by Freestainworld(m): 5:12am On Jun 23, 2019
US is a do me, i do you country, they won't allow what happened to them to go for free. I pity Iran shaa, they will loose money but as for war , no body is fighting.

1 Like

Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by fringz11(m): 5:20am On Jun 23, 2019
Freestainworld:
US is a do me, i do you country, they won't allow what happened to them to go for free. I pity Iran shaa, they will loose money but as for war , no body is fighting.

You are right..... Balance of Terror
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by maynation(f): 6:16am On Jun 23, 2019
Iran over to you.
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by kings59: 6:39am On Jun 23, 2019
Surprdict129:
Good morning

don't you have family members or relatives who wanna get rich?

You can send your 419 advert to them or are you tired of being rich?

Anyone who falls or gets duped or scammed by these sets of people needs serious deliverance.

Back to the topic, USA is a peaceful country. They are pacifiers ,peacemakers and not trouble makers. The thing here is that iran will pay for the damages they did, but if it is iranian drone that is flying U.S airspace, i believe it would be shut down . Any illegal or unauthorized airway flying in their space would also be shut down.

How many of us remember what happened to MH17? a Malaysian airline that was shut down by missile which was flying Ukraine airspace. A war was going on between Russia and Ukraine ( just a small fight) and a Malaysian air flight was flying Ukraine that period, the Ukrainians thought they were terrorist or it was their enemy from Russia, the airflight was shut down immediately sighted.

People shouldn't fly or board a plane during war time/periods .

All these country has advanced oo, its like Africa is lacking behind. We need a very strong hand to rule Nigeria not a gentle man at all.

Nigeria needs a president like Abacha , an iron hand person who doesn't take shits.

2 Likes

Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by dermmy(m): 7:06am On Jun 23, 2019
Let it begin. Iran has good hackers too i remember they hacked into a US drone that entered their airspace in 2011. It's good they should just limit their fight to the cyber space.

2 Likes

Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by JBoss25(m): 7:50am On Jun 23, 2019
maynation:
Iran over to you.
hey
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by maynation(f): 9:18am On Jun 23, 2019
JBoss25:
hey
Hi
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by Cletus77(m): 10:03am On Jun 23, 2019
Yawns!!!!

I spy you but you cannot spy me -US

I trust Russian hackers... business don ready
Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by daroz(m): 12:51pm On Jun 23, 2019
Cletus77:
Yawns!!!!

I spy you but you cannot spy me -US

I trust Russian hackers... business don ready
The show is about to begin

1 Like

Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by Timmypromise(m): 5:10pm On Jun 23, 2019
dermmy:
Let it begin. Iran has good hackers too i remember they hacked into a US drone that entered their airspace in 2011. It's good they should just limit their fight to the cyber space.

And yet
Iranian programmers still use Google

Re: US Hits Iran With Cyber Attack by daroz(m): 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2019
dermmy:

(1) (Reply)

A Look At ₦5.7b MQ-9 Reaper Drone That Bombed The Car Ferrying Iranian General / "Pray For Lebanon" — A Massive Explosion Shook The Country's Capital Today / China takes Over Uganda’s Lone International Airport Over Failure To Repay Loa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.