Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Any Truth To That? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Any Truth To That? (943 Views)

Is There Any Truth In This Statement? / Is There Any Truth To The Da Vinci Code / A small truth to make your Life successful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Truth To That? by Navi613: 10:50am On Oct 06, 2010
They say a person is measured by the quality of their friends.

Can you simply look at my friends and determine what sort of person I am? And if so, care to explain, pls?
Re: Any Truth To That? by googles: 11:07am On Oct 06, 2010
yea your friends can influence you if you want them to. . . truth is most pples let their guards down wen they are with their trusted friends hence the

peer pressure effect. . . and then you start to notice you have a lot in common with your friend even things you didnt know prior to dat friendship

for instance: my one time bestie never liked alcohol and parties but she met some girls who were into dat now shez the one who scouts for parties

all around school  undecided so yes your friends can influence you to become the person you are now whether positively/negatively
Re: Any Truth To That? by 190: 11:14am On Oct 06, 2010
The statement show me your friend and i would tell you WHO U ARE,

is very right,

I used 2 be this care-free,out-going type cos i mingled wiv some care-free peeps immediately after i Grad~

But i later came to see things the way they were that there waznt no gain and i immediately dropped pratically all of em,

now im this indoor kind of person,who loves walkin alone and getting things done alone, and im enjoyin it.

It has sort of calmed me down and set my head straight, i look bak @ those early teen years and smh @ it why cos of the effects of friends~
Re: Any Truth To That? by 1one: 11:30am On Oct 06, 2010
It depends on the person, one of my strengths as a person is my individuality,i'm hardly moved or bent by other people's opinions,habits or character so evn though I dnt drink but by virtue of "happenstance" I continually find myself with alcohol fishes,It still wouldn't make me know the colour of the beer bottle not to talk of having a pint, I believe people who get influenced by their peers especially towards the negative side don't have rock solid principles they live by.
Re: Any Truth To That? by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 06, 2010
somewhere in my bible it reads do not be deceived bad company corrupts good habit,it may be very subtle but it does corrupt your solid principles.
Re: Any Truth To That? by shakerz1: 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2010
What happens if the person has no friends?

There is some truth to that statement but u cant really base a judgement on just that information.

But i believe it depends on what aspect of that person`s live ur evaluation.Some people different sets of friends for different parts of their lives.U might make a friend who has opposite values and beliefs to u for a specific reason,someone u lack but like in them.

There is always some exceptions to the rules
Re: Any Truth To That? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2010
Navi613:

They say a person is measured by the quality of their friends.

Can you simply look at my friends and determine what sort of person I am? And if so, care to explain, pls?

i disagree

myself i keep friends according to what click on hence i got different friends from all social class

some people even ask how do you manage that guy becoz some people cant stand him etc
Re: Any Truth To That? by Navi613: 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2010
1one:

It depends on the person, one of my strengths as a person is my individuality,i'm hardly moved or bent by other people's opinions,habits or character so evn though I dnt drink but by virtue of "happenstance" I continually find myself with alcohol fishes,It still wouldn't make me know the colour of the beer bottle not to talk of having a pint, I believe people who get influenced by their peers especially towards the negative side don't have rock solid principles they live by. 
But this isn't about interpreting how you see
yourself as but about your measurements by
others according to your friends.

Now, let's suppose that you're surrounded by alcohol
fishes, who do nothing else but swim in these alcohol
pools. You don't drink at all but you hang out with them.
When they're in the alcohol pool, you're on the edge of
the pool, keeping them accompany. You spend most of
your time with them despite your differences.

Everybody in the neighborhood sees you and your
alcohol friends together. Now, you go for a job interview
and after the job interview, which by the way has gone
excellent, one of the office employees walks up to the
job interviewer and tells them about your alcoholism.
And about the people that you hang around with.
They call you the next day and tell you "I'm sorry
but the place went for someone else"
Re: Any Truth To That? by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2010
Navi613:

But this isn't about interpreting how you see
yourself as but about your measurements by
others according to your friends.

Now, let's suppose that you're surrounded by alcohol
fishes, who do nothing else but swim in these alcohol
pools. You don't drink at all but you hang out with them.
When they're in the alcohol pool, you're on the edge of
the pool, keeping them accompany. You spend most of
your time with them despite your differences.

Everybody in the neighborhood sees you and your
alcohol friends together. Now, you go for a job interview
and after the job interview, which by the way has gone
excellent, one of the office employees walks up to the
job interviewer and tells them about your alcoholism.
And about the people that you hang around with.
They call you the next day and tell you "I'm sorry
but the place went for someone else"

that what society does

guilty by association

though peole should judge by what you are as individual with your skills
Re: Any Truth To That? by Navi613: 4:09pm On Oct 06, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

that what society does

guilty by association

though peole should judge by what you are as individual with your skills
Yea.

-

-
Re: Any Truth To That? by ksena(f): 5:10pm On Oct 06, 2010
Yes that statement is true, the people you hang out with always have some influence on you, and before you know you blend in that, and then you're just like them without you even knowing it, and if you have bad friends, well the outcome won't be good, so it is really important to know who you let into your life cause that always have affect on your future,
Re: Any Truth To That? by kpolli(m): 12:04pm On Oct 07, 2010
hell no
Re: Any Truth To That? by wealth11: 12:09pm On Oct 07, 2010
hell yes
Re: Any Truth To That? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2010
@poster
it has all to do with the type of person that you are. as long as your friends dont do anything criminal or against your beliefs then who cares what you friends do. you value your friends for who they are and vice versa.

if people are going to refuse to give you a job because of who your friends are (like someone mentioned) then probably you shouldnt work for that firm who looks at your "after work" acquaintances rather than your qualification for that said job.
Re: Any Truth To That? by Omolola1(f): 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2010
@ Topic,

It is not true!
You cant say because i have a friend that is very bad, it means i am bad also
If you want to be bad, you dont need no friend to make you bad, you would be on your own!
I have a choice to do what my friend does, and i have a choice not to follow in her footsteps!

I cant say because my friend is putting her hands inside a fire, i would also do the same, AM NOT A FOOL!
Re: Any Truth To That? by iice(f): 3:08pm On Oct 12, 2010
True to an extent
True society 'label' people that way
Not true that everyone can be measured by their friends.

Like 1one, my strength is my individuality. Too mentally warped anyway to be influenced tongue
But my friends range from one extreme end to the other side of the spectrum. You can't really tell by my friends, the kind of person i am.
Re: Any Truth To That? by qoam(f): 4:43pm On Oct 12, 2010
Googles, i think i am getting to like u. Keeping bad friends does not in anyway corrupt u. You can be keeping bad friends and at thesame time be good. You can easily change ur bad friends to good if u know what u re doing. Play along wit dem with maturity.

(1) (Reply)

advice on e passport biodata / Is It A Sin / Excuse Me: I Want A Private Jet, Shmg. Lolz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.