Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,382 members, 7,815,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Computer Science - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Computer Science (1969 Views)

Studying Computer Science At 40? / Please Help Differentiate Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering / Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science by Kvngfrosh(m): 8:45pm On Jun 23, 2019
Hey pls help me o i want to study computer science in a university (unilorin) and my dad and other people advised me not to study it that i can study it in a cafe or a computer institute but from what i have about the course i really love it can someone explain to me why they said so?
Re: Computer Science by sparkle7: 8:54pm On Jun 23, 2019
Kvngfrosh:
Hey pls help me o i want to study computer science in a university (unilorin) and my dad and other people advised me not to study it that i can study it in a cafe or a computer institute but from what i have about the course i really love it can someone explain to me why they said so?
bro you dont know what you want. And who says you learn computer science in a cafe or institute.
There is a big difference between a computer sciemtist and a programmer.
Dont get it twisted.
Programming is just a subset of computer science.
If you actually want to study computer science, you wouldnt be here asking questions.
Is your Dad an expert in computer related technologies to make such statement.
Appeal to the wrong Authority( Fallacy)

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science by Kvngfrosh(m): 9:15pm On Jun 23, 2019
sparkle7:

bro you dont know what you want. And who says you learn computer science in a cafe or institute.
There is a big difference between a computer sciemtist and a programmer.
Dont get it twisted.
Programming is just a subset of computer science.
If you actually want to study computer science, you wouldnt be here asking questions.
Is your Dad an expert in computer related technologies to make such statement.
Appeal to the wrong Authority( Fallacy)
Hey thanks for the reply people were like i can learn it without going to university that why i dont go for anoda course .....U ar right i dont know what i want
Re: Computer Science by sparkle7: 9:40pm On Jun 23, 2019
Kvngfrosh:
Hey thanks for the reply people were like i can learn it without going to university that why i dont go for anoda course .....U ar right i dont know what i want
you can learn what exactly without going to university?
Look one of the main reasons people fail in life is because of lack of focus or not churning out a solid target for themselves.
You want to be 2 masters at same time.
Aint possible bro.
Its either you are good at one and suck/be average in the other.
If you want to be a computer scientist, enroll for a course at any credible instuition.
If you want to study chemistry, go for it. Dont pile multiple loads on yourself.
The programmers you see who build stunning apps invested a lot in programming to the extent of dropping out from school.
It can take you years to be advanced in a language.
Go check out some badass programmers and you would see something like 5+ years experience with php, java and python.
So this isnt a walk in the park.
There are thousands of methods in a programming language its impossible to know all as new versions comes new tweaks and add ups.
So this isnt something you can get acquainted with in some months, considering that every one has a different i.q
with that said, recollect yourself and ask yourself: what interests me the most?
You can only make it big in whatever you have interest in.
Falz had an interest in music but his father forced him to study law. Now where is his law cert at? I doubt he never made a dime from the law court.
So find where you interest lies. Do you like computation? Do anything programmable freak you? Do you wish to make that tiny piece of metal do you biddings? Are you good in maths and calculation?(Trust me you would be needing it)
Then programming is for you.
Your career is what we are talking about here bro. Use your head wisely man.

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science by stanliwise(m): 9:51pm On Jun 23, 2019
Kvngfrosh:
Sorry to say. Your father is ignorant of what is called computer science.
Let me shock you, computer science isn't actually related to anything with operating computer. There are many computing scientists that don't know how to use computer software very well.
The name till today is considered by many professional in the field as wrong terminology. The actual name should be computing science or Datalogy.
Computing science is the Science that deals with computation(compiling, storage, analysis, securing, transfer, manipulations and retrieval) of data.
So get yourself and Daddy informed of computing science. A cafe boy don't do any of the above in a professional way. Tell your dad that None of Microsoft's engineers and scientist learnt in the cafe. A cafe boy infact is just a user of the product of a computing scientists, so do you also want to be a user or a creator?
Computer machines you see today is the born out handiwork and theory of what computing scientists and engineers has developed, cafe boys aren't invited. So the job of a computing scientist is to provide ways of how to automate humans computing problems by creating programs and algorithms(set of instructions) to a computer thereby automating solutions to our everyday problems and this is what a cafe boy will later use. This means a cafe boy simply lack the deep knowledge of why a computer behaves the way it does all he knows is just how to use the conputer software very well to run his cafe business. The knowledge takes about four to five years of thorough guidance from professionals in your university. Note also that computing rely heavily on mathematics, infact computing was born out of mathematics.
This are things you could do after studying computing science
1. Programming
2. Graphics/motion
3. Cryptography
4. Theoretical computing science
5. Artificial intelligence
6. software development
7. system engineering
and many more
infact we have medical computing and many more.

4 Likes

Re: Computer Science by DestinyGodwin: 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2019
I'm still confused
is it advissable to learn computer science from the university or just enrol in a credible ICT institute
and which is preferrable to learn from the scratch to an advanced level
the university or an ICT institute
Re: Computer Science by stanliwise(m): 11:23pm On Jun 23, 2019
DestinyGodwin:
I'm still confused
is it advissable to learn computer science from the university or just enrol in a credible ICT institute
and which is preferrable to learn from the scratch to an advanced level
the university or an ICT institute
And which ICT institute is that? Study hard and enter school jare.
Re: Computer Science by DestinyGodwin: 11:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
stanliwise:
And which ICT institute is that? Study hard and enter school jare.

Okay thanks
Re: Computer Science by stanliwise(m): 11:33pm On Jun 23, 2019
DestinyGodwin:

Okay thanks
During or After your BSC certification, apply for training in e.g programming, graphics design etc. Just acquire industry standard skills, you can learn some personally and additionally, sit for professional computing examinations if have the cash after school.
Re: Computer Science by Ernest4321(m): 2:56am On Jun 24, 2019
Check out NIIT... It's an institution for IT
DestinyGodwin:

Okay thanks
Re: Computer Science by DestinyGodwin: 6:09am On Jun 24, 2019
stanliwise:
During or After your BSC certification, apply for training in e.g programming, graphics design etc. Just acquire industry standard skills, you can learn some personally and additionally, sit for professional computing examinations if have the cash after school.

Okay thanks alot
is it better to study computer science or computer engineering ?
seems they are different course
Re: Computer Science by DestinyGodwin: 6:10am On Jun 24, 2019
Ernest4321:
Check out NIIT... It's an institution for IT

thanks
Re: Computer Science by MountainView: 7:13am On Jun 24, 2019
stanliwise:
Let me shock you, computer science isn't actually related to anything with operating computer. There are many computing scientists that don't know how to use computer software very well.
The name till today is considered by many professional in the field as wrong terminology. The actual name should be computing science or Datalogy.
Computing science is the Science that deals with computation(compiling, storage, analysis, securing, transfer, manipulations and retrieval) of data.
So get yourself and Daddy informed of computing science. A cafe boy don't do any of the above in a professional way. Tell your dad that None of Microsoft's engineers and scientist learnt in the cafe. A cafe boy infact is just a user of the product of a computing scientists, so do you also want to be a user or a creator?
Computer machines you see today is the born out handiwork and theory of what computing scientists and engineers has developed, cafe boys aren't invited. So the job of a computing scientist is to provide ways of how to automate humans computing problems by creating programs and algorithms(set of instructions) to a computer thereby automating solutions to our everyday problems and this is what a cafe boy will later use. This means a cafe boy simply lack the deep knowledge of why a computer behaves the way it does all he knows is just how to use the conputer software very well to run his cafe business. The knowledge takes about four to five years of thorough guidance from professionals in your university. Note also that computing rely heavily on mathematics, infact computing was born out of mathematics.
1. Programming
2. Graphics/motion
3. Cryptography
6. software development
7. system engineering
and many more

Okay,let me shade more light to what he said

Computer Science is not same as Computer Literacy, they shouldn't be compared in any way, meanwhile of you're thinking oh maybe Programming is same as Computer Science then you're also wrong.

You see,all these are just Subsets of computer science

Computer science is the study of both computable and non-computable Algorithms,it's not just all about computers.

If you want to learn computer science, go to the University,Polytechnic or College of Education.

If you want to learn any of the subset, then you can attend any computer institution that offers that subfield as a course.

Shikina!

My 2cents

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science by stanliwise(m): 8:21am On Jun 24, 2019
MountainView:

Okay,let me shade more light to what he said

Computer Science is not same as Computer Literacy, they shouldn't be compared in any way, meanwhile of you're thinking oh maybe Programming is same as Computer Science then you're also wrong.

You see,all these are just Subsets of computer science

Computer science is the study of both computable and non-computable Algorithms,it's not just all about computers.

If you want to learn computer science, go to the University,Polytechnic or College of Education.

If you want to learn any of the subset, then you can attend any computer institution that offers that subfield as a course.

Shikina!

My 2cents
Probably OP want to study computer literacy grin
Re: Computer Science by Emmaway(m): 8:29am On Jun 24, 2019
Like others have said, you obviously don't know what you want.

If you want to do any course, go on and do it, it's your future, your career and not your dad's.
Re: Computer Science by stanliwise(m): 8:37am On Jun 24, 2019
DestinyGodwin:

Okay thanks alot
There is a common ground between them but engineering is majorly concerned about the building and design of computer hardwares.
Re: Computer Science by sparkle7: 10:45am On Jun 24, 2019
DestinyGodwin:

Okay thanks alot
hey buddy. You mailed me. Any problem?
Re: Computer Science by DestinyGodwin: 5:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
stanliwise:
There is a common ground between them but engineering is majorly concerned about the building and design of computer hardwares.

Thanks alot
focussing on computer science then
Re: Computer Science by DestinyGodwin: 5:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
sparkle7:
hey buddy. You mailed me. Any problem?
nope just wanted you to shade more light on computer science and computer engineering
Re: Computer Science by Cass01: 10:15am On Jun 29, 2019
Between Mathematics and Computer science, which one is advisable to study?
Re: Computer Science by Ernest4321(m): 11:11am On Jun 29, 2019
Computer science is maths
Cass01:
Re: Computer Science by asalimpo(m): 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2019
Kvngfrosh:
computer science is not about programming. It's about computation. The science of computation. What is computable and what is not. What is the most efficient way to perform a computation etc. You will study algorithms- the tools used in computation. Compilers os etc. It is math intensive. It's not about programming languages .
Your father's statemnt stems from the misconception ppl hav about cs because of the word computer in it.
In a good cs program,u'll learn lots of maths in some poor programs it mayb more of practicals nd less theory.
Re: Computer Science by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 29, 2019
Kvngfrosh:
Computer science is different from Coding. If you only want to code then self learning is the best way because school would never teach you that

1 Like

Re: Computer Science by SirLakes: 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2019
get a Bsc

Someone shared his experience below

Re: Computer Science by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:03pm On Jun 30, 2019
Cass01:
the one that spike your interest
Re: Computer Science by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:11pm On Jun 30, 2019
stanliwise:
1. Programming
2. Graphics/motion
3. Cryptography
6. software development
7. system engineering
and many more
This post should help u. Computer Science was defined in it.

It's ur life. Don't let anyone limit you.

Just how my uncle told me studying microbiology, bio chemistry, or even going to nursing school is better than studying computer science in the university.
That comp. sci is all about MS word and Corel draw.

In addition, going for what u want and helps a lot in ur gpa and cgpa.
Am a testimony.
Re: Computer Science by CodeBlooded: 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2019
Kvngfrosh:

Wow, this seems like my writing. I was in your shoes around 2014. And I was planning to apply to same school, my parent gave the same reasons as yours and I still didn’t feel convince. I applied and got admitted for computer science that same year in UNILORIN. My dad was annoyed because he thought I choose Medicine. Today I’m done with University and currently serving(I have 2/3 months left). If I can go back in time, I will still choose the same course bro, I’m a developer today because I made use of the internet for learning while I was in school. I have created few android app for organizations, project student and my own personal project. I facilitated Andela Learning community for 3 versions among all, all this while in the university and I also made Second class(upper).

Follow your heart, if you go wrong then you have no one to blame. Do something you have passion for and most of all that will be useful in the nearest future and also fetch you some money. They are many career path in computer science than being a typist or some business center attendant because I feel this is the though of your dad. Someone already mention few above, as me myself I’m thinking of going into Artificial intelligence soon.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science by CodeBlooded: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2019
Cass01:

Computer science.
I almost studied Maths because of my love for the subject when I was in secondary school. But an uncle advised me to study computer science for employment opportunity and good career. Also it requires knowledge of mathematics, this way I’m not leaving maths totally.
Re: Computer Science by Kvngfrosh(m): 2:19pm On Jul 02, 2019
CodeBlooded:

Wow, this seems like my writing. I was in your shoes around 2014. And I was planning to apply to same school, my parent gave the same reasons as yours and I still didn’t feel convince. I applied and got admitted for computer science that same year in UNILORIN. My dad was annoyed because he thought I choose Medicine. Today I’m done with University and currently serving(I have 2/3 months left). If I can go back in time, I will still choose the same course bro, I’m a developer today because I made use of the internet for learning while I was in school. I have created few android app for organizations, project student and my own personal project. I facilitated Andela Learning community for 3 versions among all, all this while in the university and I also made Second class(upper).

Follow your heart, if you go wrong then you have no one to blame. Do something you have passion for and most of all that will be useful in the nearest future and also fetch you some money. They are many career path in computer science than being a typist or some business center attendant because I feel this is the though of your dad. Someone already mention few above, as me myself I’m thinking of going into Artificial intelligence soon.

Hey Thanks For the advice Bro �
Do you have any advice for me or Any Materials I can start to read Or any languages to Learn Before I gain admission........................ Thanks

(1) (Reply)

My Little Gift To UI Guys And Non UI Guys / Professional Web Designer And Programmer. Knowledgeable In Bitcoin Crypto Techn / I Want To Learn Black Hat Hacking. How Would I Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.