Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? (6612 Views)

With AI Like GPT4, Is Been A Tech Developer Still Worth. / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It / Is Decagon Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 2:22pm On Jun 19, 2018

It's amazing how anyone can learn programming and be impressively good at it without a CS degree.

Is it still worth spending 4-5 years studying, and still be told "your skill and not degree would get you a job!"

What's your take
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Humchi(m): 5:44pm On Jun 19, 2018
It depends on two things..

1. If you're a job prospect, you need the degree.. Nigeria without degrees whether you are having skills, you are not getting the job.. That is the truth..
Degree worths it if you are having it in mind you want to seek for job.. Unlike some foreign countries where you skills has upper hand.

2. If you want to be a ceo or should i say founnder.. But what i am trying to say is if you want to be the likes of mark zuckerberg, evans spiegel(snapchat), se.un osewa, bill gates etc. You don't need degree if you have the skills..
Even if you don't, you can learn it online and be more knowledgeable than a computer graduate in Nigeria.. That is it..

3 Likes

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 5:55pm On Jun 19, 2018
Humchi:
It depends on two things..

1. If you're a job prospect, you need the degree.
2. You don't need degree if you have the skills...
Even if you don't, you can learn it online and be more knowledgeable than a computer graduate in Nigeria.. That is it..

Like seriously?

i'm considering a second degree after my CS degree. Good idea?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Humchi(m): 6:04pm On Jun 19, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Like seriously?
for job prospectives, it is.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by CodeTemplar: 6:04pm On Jun 19, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Like seriously?
Yes.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 6:20pm On Jun 19, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Yes.

Long time mentor,

i was thinking of biomedical engineering( i always wanted to trail the medical line).

But it's another 4-5 years...

Can i go into a different field for my masters?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by CodeTemplar: 6:29pm On Jun 19, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Long time mentor,

i was thinking of biomedical engineering( i always wanted to trail the medical line).

But it's another 4-5 years...

Can i go into a different field for my masters?
You can read biomedicine and still be a programmer. Both fields should have a meeting point I believe because all engineering disciplines now incorporate computers and by proxy programs. Above all research it and understand exactly how programming can aid biomedical engr.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 19, 2018
angry
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 8:40pm On Jun 19, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You can read biomedicine and still be a programmer. Both fields should have a meeting point I believe because all engineering disciplines now incorporate computers and by proxy programs. Above all research it and understand exactly how programming can aid biomedical engr.

I need to find someone who scaled this path, unfortunately he's extinct.(dhtml18)

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 8:46pm On Jun 19, 2018
mosesabah:
angry
your opinion will be treated with respect, please blurt it out...
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by edicied: 1:14am On Jun 20, 2018
Computer science is the study of the theory, experimentation, and engineering that form the basis for the design and use of computers. It is the scientific and practical approach to computation and its applications and the systematic study of the feasibility, structure, expression, and mechanization of the methodical procedures (or algorithms) that underlie the acquisition, representation, processing, storage, communication of, and access to, information. An alternate, more succinct definition of computer science is the study of automating algorithmic processes that scale. A computer scientist specializes in the theory of computation and the design of computational systems.[1] See glossary of computer science.

Computer programming is the process of building and designing an executable computer program for accomplishing a specific computing task. Programming involves tasks such as analysis, generating algorithms, profiling algorithms' accuracy and resource consumption, and the implementation of algorithms in a chosen programming language (commonly referred to as coding[1][2]).

I hope this definition helps the op....

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by GreatAchiever1: 7:32am On Jun 20, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Like seriously?

If u mean spending another 4-5 years in school again...oboy na so u lyk school grin
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by SetrakusRa(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2018
Before anything, you should know that Programming is just a small subset of Computer Science. It might be the most pronounced, but still, there's more to Computer Science than just programming...

So yes, the degree is very much worth it!

3 Likes

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 9:38am On Jun 20, 2018
GreatAchiever1:

If u mean spending another 4-5 years in school again...oboy na so u lyk school grin

grin

I'm just going further my studies(Msc)...
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 9:47am On Jun 20, 2018
edicied:
Computer science is the study of the theory, experimentation, and engineering that form the basis for the design and use of computers. It is the scientific and practical approach to computation and its applications and the systematic study of the feasibility, structure, expression, and mechanization of the methodical procedures (or algorithms) that underlie the acquisition, representation, processing, storage, communication of, and access to, information. An alternate, more succinct definition of computer science is the study of automating algorithmic processes that scale. A computer scientist specializes in the theory of computation and the design of computational systems.[1] See glossary of computer science.

cheesy

I still don't get your point, thanks anyways!
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:03am On Jun 20, 2018
SetrakusRa:
Before anything, you should know that Programming is just a small subset of Computer Science. It might be the most pronounced, but still, there's more to Computer Science than just programming...

So yes, the degree is very much worth it!

This is the only ground on which we defend our course as CS student's...

grin

it's quite pathetic.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:34am On Jun 20, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

This is the only ground on which we defend our course as CS student's...

grin

it's quite pathetic.
not really, it's just that the Nigerian CS curriculum is not standard but I will choose a CS degree over anything
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by CodeTemplar: 10:36am On Jun 20, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

cheesy

I still don't get your point, thanks anyways!
May be when u start study computation more you will understand what he wrote.

CS is centered around computation and the theories of scaling them.

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

not really, it's just that the Nigerian CS curriculum is not standard but I will choose a CS degree over anything

More reason why many of "US" register for online courses(MIT,STANFORD).

"if i'm chanced and lucky, i'll choose spending 4years in Andela, than in nigerian instituition"
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2018
CodeTemplar:
May be whennu start study computation more you will understand what he wrote.

CS is centers around computation and the theories of scaling them.

>:

What's your take on the subject matter, mentor?
is it worth it?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:04am On Jun 20, 2018
cc ibkayee
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by CodeTemplar: 11:26am On Jun 20, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

>:

What's your take on the subject matter, mentor?
is it worth it?
The problem of computer science is present for all practical sciences discipline. Computer engineers hardly use 20% of what they learnt in school after grad. same thing for most science discipline. In fact CS is one of the cheapest fields to practice.
I am yet to see a single computer engr firm in Nigeria for example, and that is down to high cost of computer engineering. What we have mostly as computer engineers are PC technicians repairing personal computers. So computer science is still the most marketable and easiest to practise IT related course in Nigeria.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

More reason why many of "US" register for online courses(MIT,STANFORD).

"if i'm chanced and lucky, i'll choose spending 4years in Andela, than in nigerian instituition"
look I am a CS student, I was coding before I gained admission....dont look for the degree alone but the knowledge, when I was in 200 level second semester, very late in the night I used to watch MIT opencourse ware havard learning on YouTube, check CS50 by professor David Malan on youtube, watch it and enjoy the beauty of CS

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2018
It takes experience to be a good programmer and not necessary a qualification however a degree will make it it a lot easier to get hired to be honest.

A lot of companies use degree requirements as a filter when searching for ‘talent’ and tend to want some form of formal education, typically a bachelors, if not then MULTIPLE years of experience and an EXTENSIVE portfolio. You also tend to get paid more, a degree just tends to result in higher lifetime earnings, long term. There will always be exceptions of course but generally speaking.

So essentially, if you have the option to get a degree, I would advise you do but if not, don’t fret too much as opportunities will still come, you’ll just need to showcase yourself a bit harder than the rest.

3 Likes

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by wane01(m): 5:21pm On Jun 20, 2018
ibkayee:
It takes experience to be a good programmer and not necessary a qualification however a degree will make it it a lot easier to get hired to be honest.

A lot of companies use degree requirements as a filter when searching for ‘talent’ and tend to want some form of formal education, typically a bachelors, if not then MULTIPLE years of experience and an EXTENSIVE portfolio. You also tend to get paid more, a degree just tends to result in higher lifetime earnings, long term. There will always be exceptions of course but generally speaking.

So essentially, if you have the option to get a degree, I would advise you do but if not, don’t fret too much as opportunities will still come, you’ll just need to showcase yourself a bit harder than the rest.
(^$/),
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by wane01(m): 5:21pm On Jun 20, 2018
ibkayee:

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by judesl(m): 8:38pm On Jun 20, 2018
OP
CS consists of more than just programming

... With CS degree u can work any where

do some deep research about CS and forget Nigeria mentality towards CS

... But yes u can be a great programmer without CS degree i.e
if a road mechanic whose work is just to repair a broken car has the opportunity to be the one who produces the car(automobile engineer), which will he choose?... Just saying

lastly follow your heart and trust yourself... God bless

2 Likes

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Dacronym(m): 10:48pm On Jun 20, 2018
Not really
except you're very comfortable and are in say Canada or USA
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:00pm On Jun 20, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

look I am a CS student, I was coding before I gained admission....dont look for the degree alone but the knowledge, when I was in 200 level second semester, very late in the night I used to watch MIT opencourse ware havard learning on YouTube, check CS50 by professor David Malan on youtube, watch it and enjoy the beauty of CS

Well,

it's amazing...

Thanks for this piece.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:16pm On Jun 20, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Well,

it's amazing...

Thanks for this piece.
nice....by the time you finish CS50 by Professor David Malan, you will hate Nigerian lecturers.....i now see why universities abroad are better....they emphasize on you learning complex things in simple ways

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by GreatAchiever1: 6:31am On Jun 21, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

Thanks bro, might check it out
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 10:56am On Jun 21, 2018
ibkayee:

Well said,

i think i get your point,

a DEGREE will only pave way for me to showcase my skills(self-taught cheesy) and maybe a juicier package.

is that it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Develop A Software In Java To Calculate CGPA / FG Pays N81.7bn On Customs Software / Computer Science In University Of Lagos(unilag) ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.