Stats: 3,156,500 members, 7,830,508 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? (3038 Views)

What Is The Average Price You Spent On Fuel In A Day? / Security Personnels May Suspect Or Harrass You If You Drive These Vehicles / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off (2) (3) (4)

Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 4:31pm On Jun 25, 2019
Where the gurus dey? Pls kindly answer this question. I am confused as to what to do as i have been faced with this challenge many times.

Whats the best thing to do when your fuel is low. When I have little fuel left in my car, is it better to drive fast or slow so that I can get the best distance out of the amount of petrol left?

Which driving gives you a higher chance of getting to your destination?
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by kingreign(m): 4:35pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:
Where the gurus dey? Pls kindly answer this question. I am confused as to what to do as i have been faced with this challenge many times.

Whats the best thing to do when your fuel is low. When I have little fuel left in my car, is it better to drive fast or slow so that I can get the best distance out of the amount of petrol left?

Which driving gives you a higher chance of getting to your destination?

Slower, crawl speed, infact with car in gear 2 or higher, while crawling below 30km/h you'd go well. Don't allow rpm to go more than 1300

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by essenceplus: 4:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
Its two options. Test both, drivjg fast and driving low. Come back and give us feedback after you mist have tested it
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by Davash222(m): 4:43pm On Jun 25, 2019
Low on fuel

Park your car, take a cab, go get fuel at any nearby fuel station and continue your journey!!!

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by FreshMekanik: 5:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
When you drive too fast you consume more fuel. When you drive too slow, you are not safe either. I did say balance your speed. 80-90 km/h
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:15pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingreign:

Slower, crawl speed, infact with car in gear 2 or higher, while crawling below 30km/h you'd go well. Don't allow rpm to go more than 1300
Can you pls kindly explain the facts behind this. Engine load, fuel economy, ECU command, aerodynamics, drag etc grin
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:16pm On Jun 25, 2019
essenceplus:
Its two options. Test both, drivjg fast and driving low. Come back and give us feedback after you mist have tested it

If i had tested it i wouldnt be here asking for a discuss na broda. This is about sharing ideas and seeing how ppl think. Not about say na me kno book pass grin
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by jceesquare(m): 5:17pm On Jun 25, 2019
It depends on the car you drive and the transmission you have. So many things (like traffic, weight, and road conditions) needs to be placed into consideration.
Lemme give you 2 experiences I had sometimes ago.
1st experience was with a 3.3V6 auto gear. I wanted to take 4 clients from Ikeja to Badagry to inspect a water front property that was up for sale, so I went with my 2006 Toyota Sienna for the trip. I knew the fuel in the tank wouldn't be enough with the A/C on if I was aggressive with my driving so this is what I did. I reduced the fan speed of the A/C and was very easy on the gas pedal and allowed the car accelerate gradually from dead stop while making sure I never drove above 60MPH (we kept talking all through so they didn't notice the driving pattern). Another thing I did was being calculative with the brakes as well to save precious energy. I allowed the car coast from afar by taking my foot off the gas pedal when approaching busy bus stop or bad portion of the road before gently applying brakes. With that I was so shocked with the liters of fuel I had left when we made the return trip.
Scenario 2 with a 2.0 manual transmission (test purpose) I was driving back from Ilorin to Lagos and I had just ₦3,000 worth of fuel in my car Nissan Alrmera 2 door hatchback so this is what I did.
1st I rolled up the windows (to prevent aerodynamic drag) and turned on just the fan with the AC recycle vent open for fresh cool air ramming the radiator grill to come in the cabin.
2nd I was quick with my gear change and did upshift around 2,500RPM.
3rd I applied the coasting method and made sure I never exceeded 120kph except when descending from hill (I allow gravity do the speed up for me) so I can gain enough momentum to go uphill with gear 5.
With that I had enough fuel in my tank when I got to Lagos.
So driving light with as less weight as possible and being easy on the gas and brake helps a lot.

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:19pm On Jun 25, 2019
FreshMekanik:
When you drive too fast you consume more fuel. When you drive too slow, you are not safe either. I did say balance your speed. 80-90 km/h
Bro this was what i thought too. But then how do you know at what curve your car best saves fuel? What speed? Wat engine conditions?
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2019
Davash222:
Low on fuel

Park your car, take a cab, go get fuel at any nearby fuel station and continue your journey!!!

0/100 tongue
Imagine you have just 2 options to choose from, wc would you take and why? Drive fast or drive slow?
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:24pm On Jun 25, 2019
jceesquare:
It depends on the car you drive and the transmission you have. So many things (like traffic, weight, and road conditions) needs to be placed into consideration.
Lemme give you 2 experiences I had sometimes ago.
1st experience was with a 3.3V6 auto gear. I wanted to take 4 clients from Ikeja to Badagry to inspect a water front property that was up for sale, so I went with my 2006 Toyota Sienna for the trip. I knew the fuel in the tank wouldn't be enough with the A/C on if I was aggressive with my driving so this is what I did. I reduced the fan speed of the A/C and was very easy on the gas pedal and allowed the car accelerate gradually from dead stop while making sure I never drove above 60MPH (we kept talking all through so they didn't notice the driving pattern). Another thing I did was being calculative with the brakes as well to save precious energy. I allowed the car coast from afar by taking my foot off the gas pedal when approaching busy bus stop or bad portion of the road before gently applying brakes. With that I was so shocked with the liters of fuel I had left when we made the return trip.
Scenario 2 with a 2.0 manual transmission (test purpose) I was driving back from Ilorin to Lagos and I had just ₦3,000 worth of fuel in my car Nissan Alrmera 2 door hatchback so this is what I did.
1st I rolled up the windows (to prevent aerodynamic drag) and turned on just the fan with the AC recycle vent open for fresh cool air ramming the radiator grill to come in the cabin.
2nd I was quick with my gear change and did upshift around 2,500RPM.
3rd I applied the coasting method and made sure I never exceeded 120kph except when descending from hill (I allow gravity do the speed up for me) so I can gain enough momentum to go uphill with gear 5.
With that I had enough fuel in my tank when I got to Lagos.
So driving light with as less weight as possible and being easy on the gas and brake helps a lot.

Na weting we dey talk be dis. Based on experience. .. hehehe
So bro U sef dey enter ilorin wella?
Na ilorin i base on a norms bt currently in lag sha... we go sure meet up soon grin

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by kingreign(m): 5:25pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Can you pls kindly explain the facts behind this. Engine load, fuel economy, ECU command, aerodynamics, drag etc grin

Very simple, higher the RPM =more fuel consumption.
Higher gear= lower RPM.
Lower RPM= less fuel consumption.

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by jceesquare(m): 5:28pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Na weting we dey talk be dis. Based on experience. .. hehehe
So bro U sef dey enter ilorin wella?
Na ilorin i base on a norms bt currently in lag sha... we go sure meet up soon grin
grin no problem faa.
I visit Tanke once in a while.
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:35pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingreign:

Very simple, higher the RPM =more fuel consumption.
Higher gear= lower RPM.
Lower RPM= less fuel consumption.

So essentially you try to upshift to the highest gear faster while keeping your rpm low.
But engine, transmission and ECUs must be in perfect condition for this to work tho

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
jceesquare:

grin no problem faa.
I visit Tanke once in a while.

Hahahaha baba o. Na babes for Tanke U go dey visit abi? Hehehehe
Na Adewole syd me base

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by jceesquare(m): 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Now you're going technical.
The driver needs to know his power curves to get the most out of his power train.
His driving pattern needs to work in tandem with his ECU for best fuel economy.
He needs to take as much loads as possible off the engine (high beam head light turned off, A/C off, defroster off, wiper set to intermittent speed if raining, radio and other electrical appliances turned off, tyre in the gauge, and so on and so forth).
Omo, that one no go easy ooO.

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by kingreign(m): 5:48pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

So essentially you try to upshift to the highest gear faster while keeping your rpm low.
But engine, transmission and ECUs must be in perfect condition for this to work tho
It doesn't harm any drive train, in fact,its recommended
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingreign:

It doesn't harm any drive train, in fact,its recommended
I know it doesnt harm the drivetrain. What i meant was a car with a defective engine, transmission or major ECU will fail at that.
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 5:54pm On Jun 25, 2019
jceesquare:

Now you're going technical.
The driver needs to know his power curves to get the most out of his power train.
His driving pattern needs to work in tandem with his ECU for best fuel economy.
He needs to take as much loads as possible off the engine (high beam head light turned off, A/C off, defroster off, wiper set to intermittent speed if raining, radio and other electrical appliances turned off, tyre in the gauge, and so on and so forth).
Omo, that one no go easy ooO.
Mayb we shouldnt go too technical because the average car user which i also want to hear from.
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by kingreign(m): 5:56pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

I know it doesnt harm the drivetrain. What i meant was a car with a defective engine, transmission or major ECU will fail at that.

Well true that.
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by essenceplus: 6:01pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

If i had tested it i wouldnt be here asking for a discuss na broda. This is about sharing ideas and seeing how ppl think. Not about say na me kno book pass grin

You dont get my twist logic here boss me. I also want to know and like you to be my testee grin
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2019
essenceplus:

You dont get my twist logic here boss me. I also want to know and like you to be my testee grin

Hahaha U r a bad himan being... hehehee
So na me be ur lab rat abi? grin
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by autologic: 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
The best way to save fuel is driving making use of deceleration mode of driving cos at deceleration ,ecu commands injector to cut supply of fuel .
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by ichidodo: 9:01pm On Jun 25, 2019
My sweet spot is gear 4 at just btw 1500 and 1200 RPMs.

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by essenceplus: 9:22pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Hahaha U r a bad himan being... hehehee
So na me be ur lab rat abi? grin

As i never get money buy car baba, i need learn from your learning. And yes, me na bad person. mo gba grin
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 9:48pm On Jun 25, 2019
essenceplus:

As i never get money buy car baba, i need learn from your learning. And yes, me na bad person. mo gba grin

Shild of the world... tongue
No worry bro. Your car is coming this year. believe it. And you will receive it grin
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2019
ichidodo:
My sweet spot is gear 4 at just btw 1500 and 1200 RPMs.

I always tried this i was never able to achieve it. Pls kindly explain how you do it in an auto transmission
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
autologic:
The best way to save fuel is driving making use of deceleration mode of driving cos at deceleration ,ecu commands injector to cut supply of fuel .

For the non petrol heads can u kindly explain what the deceleration mode is?
Cuz i dnt kno how U can achieve that esp with an auto transmission where in the ECU controls gear change
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by essenceplus: 10:14pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Shild of the world... tongue
No worry bro. Your car is coming this year. believe it. And you will receive it grin

Amen. Amen, and Amen. Done with trekking baba
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by ichidodo: 10:34pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

I always tried this i was never able to achieve it. Pls kindly explain how you do it in an auto transmission
That why Manny trans are so much better than auto tranny.....you get so much control and power. I am sorry its virtually impossible to do this with auto tyrannies.
Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by kingreign(m): 11:01pm On Jun 25, 2019
ichidodo:
That why Manny trans are so much better than auto tranny.....you get so much control and power. I am sorry its virtually impossible to do this with auto tyrannies.

On the flip side, it is actually very easy.

Re: Low On Fuel. Do You Drive Fast Or Drive Slow? by AutoMoTech(m): 11:02pm On Jun 25, 2019
ichidodo:

Tot as much. Reason i stressed with auto. Cuz with manual i always did it bt with auto... never did. Lets see what @autologic says abt the deceleration mode.

2000 Camry Palava / I Am Crying Right Now :-[ / Authorisation To Cover Your Plate Number

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53